Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, I think there will be ninjas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

A big flaming stink posted:

are we going to get a bunch new spirits in neon dynasty?

e: also, does kamigawa come out in February or May? I dont understand if crimson vow is just straight up an extra set or if it is the february set moved several months earlier

Kamigawa is set to release 18th February. I think Wizards confused everyone by saying they weren't going to change the number of standard set releases when they have with 5 last year and 4 scheduled next year.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'm really hyped for this set anyway.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
This is the first set ive actually been excited for in a while but im sure wotc will figure out a way to ruin it

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Tap the planet.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

YggdrasilTM posted:

there will be ninjas.

I... tap... your... milkshake

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Ninjas and some kind of Spirit tribal mechanic are almost surely coming back

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Justice for Wandering Ones

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

They are almost certainly not doing any arcane spells, they would rather do splice onto instant/sorcery instead bc of how dreadfully samey arcane decks look

But there will probably be new ninjas at least.

I could see them typing some spells as Arcane as part of a batching mechanic like historic, and any interactions with old splice spells is just incidental

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

dragon enthusiast posted:

I could see them typing some spells as Arcane as part of a batching mechanic like historic, and any interactions with old splice spells is just incidental

They'll be in the commander set where a mechanic being parasitic is a plus.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm guessing that the returning mechanics will be Ninjutsu and Splice(onto *spelltype* instead of Arcane), and we'll probably get at least 2 new mechanics or a returning mechanic from a non-Kamigawa set that fits with the theme, like how VOW has Exploit from Khans block.

Edit: longshot prediction: a Force Spike reprint because one of the meganerds on Play Design wanted to make a "Send spike; spike sent" Boris the hacker reference during playtesting

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 15, 2021

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Bushido will be back LOL

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They're going to bring back cumulative upkeep. You heard it here first

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'm really hyped for this set anyway.

I'm hyped for basically every set in 2022. Just when WotC are screwing up so badly they manage to reel me back in.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1471197327406747649?s=20

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They're going to bring back cumulative upkeep. You heard it here first

I like how theres...a lot of these cards and yet the only design to ever use it in an interesting way was the one that adds red to your mana pool each turn

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

I like how theres...a lot of these cards and yet the only design to ever use it in an interesting way was the one that adds red to your mana pool each turn

glacial chasm is cool too, imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They’re reprinting the power 9 and dual lands at common. Wizards you’ve done it again

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

this mf never heard of my main dude JOTUN GRUNT

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

this mf never heard of my main dude JOTUN GRUNT

Oh yeah, that ones cool too

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Herald of Leshrac as well.

Basically CU has some cool potential and I wouldn’t mind if it came back but it never will.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TotalHell posted:

Herald of Leshrac as well.

Basically CU has some cool potential and I wouldn’t mind if it came back but it never will.

I feel like cumup doesn't really have enough design space to be a mechanic for a normal set but if they come up with a couple good ideas they could shove it in a Modern Horizons I guess.

I'm pretty sure the most played cumup card was one that the owner planned on never paying for in the first place (Illusions of Grandeur).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mystic Remora, you heathens. :colbert:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 15, 2021

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah channel.

What's up with the casting costs of those enchantment creatures? Are you supposed to soulshift them into play or something?

e: Oh they're the back side of flip cards looks maybe?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

it could be fake but seems like a lot of effort for fakes... guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I personally think they're fake but who knows

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Oh yeah, the other big theme of Kamigawa was legendary permanents, right?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

If memory serves, every rare creature in the entire block was a legend. I'm hoping they dont do that again.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lone Goat posted:

If memory serves, every rare creature in the entire block was a legend. I'm hoping they dont do that again.

Every rare PERMANENT was Legendary.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Every rare PERMANENT was Legendary.

nah just the creatures (although there legendary cards of the other types, they weren't all legendary)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YggdrasilTM posted:

Yes. Just about everything that could have been legendary was.

E: I started playing during this time and didn't understand that was a special thing and then was left wondering in Ravnica why Vitu-Ghazi wasn't a legendary land.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I could see Legendary Sorceries from DOM making a return in this set, and then more in one of the two Dominaria-centric sets from later in the year.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Calling it now: the new double faced cards work like Grandeur: they entered the battlefield transformed if you already control a copy of that legendary permanent

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
HOROBI IS BACK, BABY!

(seriously I keep tricking myself into playing Horobi in my "Please don't exile my creatures, they have to die" decks because it also means you can kill a big fatty with a fatal push.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 15, 2021

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Man I was hoping we wouldn't see new DFC's for a while

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cool, another easy to cast 5c commander

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
it looks like they're gonna be using japanese artists for at least the showcase editions of cards

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Qwertycoatl posted:

nah just the creatures (although there legendary cards of the other types, they weren't all legendary)

Ah poo poo, you’re right. For some reason I thought it was all of them. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

Calling it now: the new double faced cards work like Grandeur: they entered the battlefield transformed if you already control a copy of that legendary permanent

That would be cool, but I think they don't want to make cards that don't play nice in Commander if they can avoid it.