Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't have GRANT MOD ACCESS rights. :(

its called account sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The timing of this is amazing. The lull after thanksgiving. Product managers trying to squeeze out last features before end of year change freezes and they go on vacation. So many engineers taking time off.

Everyone scrambling, making poor decisions, teams have to patch their own code, teams need support from vendors, people realizing they aren't using a product that's supported anymore and can't be patched.

I'm just trying to not get pulled into anyone else's bullshit. The platforms I manage aren't affected. I'm sure software that teams deploy on it are. Not.My.Problem.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The fact that you considered it for the briefest of seconds is probably why you don't.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You have made a powerful enemy this day.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'll never let The Man keep me down! Never! :bahgawd:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

So my initial take is the offending class file is in log4j-core-*.jar, but there's oodles of plain log4j.jar files out there and Nessus tags those and v1 as vulnerable. Customer running scans is demanding we handle v1 as part of 44228 and I am pushing back .

We initially ran a script via HPSA crawling thousands of servers for jar files.

Day 5 dawns. Still missing patches from major vendors. Off to check vendor websites.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Rust Martialis posted:

So my initial take is the offending class file is in log4j-core-*.jar, but there's oodles of plain log4j.jar files out there and Nessus tags those and v1 as vulnerable. Customer running scans is demanding we handle v1 as part of 44228 and I am pushing back .

We initially ran a script via HPSA crawling thousands of servers for jar files.

Day 5 dawns. Still missing patches from major vendors. Off to check vendor websites.

My client is still 99% running log4j v1 which has been fun

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is removing that class from your classpath a legit thing? Like … does log4j catch that gracefully? I’m having trouble imagining a case where a chunk of code just goes missing and a java app just goes “welp lol guess we’ll just move right along then”?

Or is my imagination just broken after yet another 12+ hour war room bridge?

What day is it, even?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

We had at least one instance where a team renamed the log4j jar file, no feedback yet if the app barfed

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Martytoof posted:

Is removing that class from your classpath a legit thing? Like … does log4j catch that gracefully? I’m having trouble imagining a case where a chunk of code just goes missing and a java app just goes “welp lol guess we’ll just move right along then”?

Or is my imagination just broken after yet another 12+ hour war room bridge?

What day is it, even?

I'd imagine a lot of these things are implemented in a modular fashion, like step 1 is "load up all the log message transformers present on the classpath" and step 2 is "apply all the loaded log message transformers". So if you delete one of the classes, the only adverse effect is that that particular transformation never gets run.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2021-45046

"It was found that the fix to address CVE-2021-44228 in Apache Log4j 2.15.0 was incomplete in certain non-default configurations. This could allows attackers with control over Thread Context Map (MDC) input data when the logging configuration uses a non-default Pattern Layout with either a Context Lookup (for example, $${ctx:loginId}) or a Thread Context Map pattern (%X, %mdc, or %MDC) to craft malicious input data using a JNDI Lookup pattern resulting in a denial of service (DOS) attack. Log4j 2.15.0 restricts JNDI LDAP lookups to localhost by default. Note that previous mitigations involving configuration such as to set the system property `log4j2.noFormatMsgLookup` to `true` do NOT mitigate this specific vulnerability. Log4j 2.16.0 fixes this issue by removing support for message lookup patterns and disabling JNDI functionality by default. This issue can be mitigated in prior releases (<2.16.0) by removing the JndiLookup class from the classpath (example: zip -q -d log4j-core-*.jar org/apache/logging/log4j/core/lookup/JndiLookup.class)."

Dehumaniiiiize yourseeeeelllllllllf

Bonus:
"Unfortunately, we have an example that Redhat has used log4j in what is called an "uberjar" where the file name does not directly indicate that there is log4j inside the jar and where the class namespaces have been changed."

:murder:

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 15, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Java is a wonderful language

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Write once, test everywhere!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

Dehumaniiiiize yourseeeeelllllllllf

I saw this at 1am on a war room bridge last night and

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

chin up everything sucks posted:

My boss sent me a $50 doordash gift card for my hard work. Yay!

I have been offered a blanket, or insulated lunch bag

I am very tired.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

If anyone finds a script for either shell or PowerShell that can recursively crawl an entire disk, and for each .jar file it sees, list all the class files in it, including any in a jar file *nested* in the jar file, please post a link.

Right now some vendors are saying patches next week. The list of vulnerable Oracle and Cisco products is huge. The amount of 1.x in things like SAP is mind bending.

Nessus does have local and remote (callback) plugins and you might get try-it licenses.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Rust Martialis posted:

If anyone finds a script for either shell or PowerShell that can recursively crawl an entire disk, and for each .jar file it sees, list all the class files in it, including any in a jar file *nested* in the jar file, please post a link.

Right now some vendors are saying patches next week. The list of vulnerable Oracle and Cisco products is huge. The amount of 1.x in things like SAP is mind bending.

Nessus does have local and remote (callback) plugins and you might get try-it licenses.

Was about to ask for the same thing- there's a python script out there, but that only seems to check URLs, and I can't seem to get it to work for internal systems, irritatingly enough.

It's this, https://github.com/fullhunt/log4j-scan if you hate yourself enough to python on windows.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I want something I can pass to the HPSA team to run on every one of thousands of servers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My security team is now rushing to deploy Sentinel One on all the linux servers. For years, the official stance was "only windows servers needed it" despite the fact that most of the nasty stuff out there came from java.

As someone who saw the effects that the early Sentinel One rollouts on those windows servers, this is for sure going to go perfectly fine if they try to jam this through before the end of the year. What could go wrong?

Seriously though, we have some real concerns if we have enough memory overhead on VMWare to even support that org-wide.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We've patched all our internal developed apps, its all vendor stuff now :doh:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was afraid I was going to miss all the fun with my few days off.

No vulnerability management utility, no spreadsheet, just random Teams chat and a ticket no one is updating. The current table that was pasted into Teams is missing a bunch of stuff I know is vulnerable. Beautiful, I love it, no notes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2021/12/a-deep-dive-into-nso-zero-click.html?m=1

NSO isn't messing around :stare:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly hack but it 'works' with bsdtar 3.4.3 on FreeBSD:

I created a file foo.class, created a tarfile called foo.jar, then tarred bar.class and foo.jar into bar.jar. Trying to simulate a nested jar file inside a jar file. You can concatenate tar files to list the content, just keep sending it to stdout, alternating x and t commands.

pre:
> tar xvfO bar.jar | tar xvfO - | tar tvfO - | tar xvfO - | tar tvf -
x bar.class
x foo.jar
x foo.class

then uhh munging itto find

> find . -name "*.jar" -exec sh -c 'tar xvfO "{}" | tar xvfO - | tar tvfO - | tar xvfO - | tar tvf -' \;
x bar.class
x foo.jar
x foo.class

I am such a bad coder.

PowerShell script on GitHub https://www.reddit.com/r/PowerShell/comments/resukw/log4shell_scanner_multiserver_massively_parallel/

Anyone know powershell comment oin it?

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 15, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

I feel ya buddy, they took away local admin on my workstation as well :smith:

e:

Rust Martialis posted:

Bonus:
"Unfortunately, we have an example that Redhat has used log4j in what is called an "uberjar" where the file name does not directly indicate that there is log4j inside the jar and where the class namespaces have been changed."

:murder:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Java is a wonderful language

A few of our tech documents specifically note that .jar files need to be moved or deleted when they get updated, not just renamed to whatever-old.jar, because in some cases Java will read any .jar file it sees regardless of file name :bravo:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 15, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sitting in the waiting room at the docs I'm screwing around on my phone and I over hear the following from a woman in her 20's

"So many patient portals, good thing I have this note book of usernames and passwords and where they go."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Sitting in the waiting room at the docs I'm screwing around on my phone and I over hear the following from a woman in her 20's

"So many patient portals, good thing I have this note book of usernames and passwords and where they go."

Still way better than using the same password everywhere.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Still way better than using the same password everywhere.

You're assuming they're not reusing?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Apparently it is pronounced "log forge" and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

No, its pronounced "Log four J" no matter what those idiots on twitter say.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I think the correct pronunciation is Log4j.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

I think they're going for that nordic J like fjord, but that's dumb it's Log Fourjay

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The j is pronounced like the g in gif

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Who's Jay and why are we compromising all our systems just to log for them?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My username is log4j.

Last name Log, first name Jay, 4th of my name.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Who's Jay and why are we compromising all our systems just to log for them?

Now that you mention it, it does sound like a worthy cause to rally around

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rust Martialis posted:

Ugly hack but it 'works' with bsdtar 3.4.3 on FreeBSD:

I created a file foo.class, created a tarfile called foo.jar, then tarred bar.class and foo.jar into bar.jar. Trying to simulate a nested jar file inside a jar file. You can concatenate tar files to list the content, just keep sending it to stdout, alternating x and t commands.

pre:
> tar xvfO bar.jar | tar xvfO - | tar tvfO - | tar xvfO - | tar tvf -
x bar.class
x foo.jar
x foo.class

then uhh munging itto find

> find . -name "*.jar" -exec sh -c 'tar xvfO "{}" | tar xvfO - | tar tvfO - | tar xvfO - | tar tvf -' \;
x bar.class
x foo.jar
x foo.class

I am such a bad coder.

Aren’t jar files zip format rather than tar?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

That really is terrifying. Unbelievable piece of software.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's just a standard buffer overflooooh. Oh my. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Today is the first day I managed to end a war room bridge before 6pm and I’m so thankful for the brief respite.