Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

Ten episodes into Canaan. This show is really leaning into the Psycho Lesbian canard, huh? Oh 00s anime, you were a thing. Overall the show is also just kind of... weird. Stuff's happening but I don't care that much about the characters, who are extremely shallow, and the conflicts that are set up feel really contrived and at times contradicting the show's own internal logic.

Also, another request for recommendations: I've sort of been on a "teen soldiers trained in rigid and horrible environments"-kick lately. I gotta get my monthly dose of YA dystopias somehow. Does anyone have any manga recommendations in this field?

Thou Shalt Not Die is a Yoko Taro manga about teenage students with super powers used as soldiers. Since its a Yoko Taro story, you can probably guess how that goes.

Also its about child soldiers so I'm not sure if its your kind of thing, but Marginal Operation deals with a guy accidentally joining a PMC and getting assigned a squad of child soldiers to fight with. The setting is fairly realistic and can be kinda harsh, but its been a while since I read it.. Seemed okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

Thou Shalt Not Die is a Yoko Taro manga about teenage students with super powers used as soldiers. Since its a Yoko Taro story, you can probably guess how that goes.

Cannibalism and genocide?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Cannibalism and genocide with giant demon babies?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
it's a manwha but after school war activities by ha il kwon was pretty great.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Cannibalism and genocide?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I still fondly remember my first playthrough of Drakengard. I love this madman and everything he touches :allears:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is Sawako Natori erasure

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lol

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

That Works posted:

Jormungand, Most all Gundam but particularly Iron Blooded Orphans, full metal panic for starters.

Sorry that's more for anime but there is good manga for Jormungand at least iirc.

There's a manwha called Teenage Mercenary on webtoon that's decent.

Dead dead dededestruction is another one kinda.

Girls Last Tour seems pretty spot on though for what you're looking at.

I remember really liking the Jormungand anime. Felt like following a Bond villain.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I Am Fowl posted:

I remember really liking the Jormungand anime. Felt like following a Bond villain.

It was really interesting and I wish there was more of it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

LatwPIAT posted:

Also, another request for recommendations: I've sort of been on a "teen soldiers trained in rigid and horrible environments"-kick lately. I gotta get my monthly dose of YA dystopias somehow. Does anyone have any manga recommendations in this field?

I didn't read the manga, but the Talentless Nana anime was great

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
oh yeah not about children but Wombs covers an even more vulnerable demographic: pregnant women. it has a very cool sci fi setting and the art reminds me of metal gear solid.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

nerdz posted:

oh yeah not about children but Wombs covers an even more vulnerable demographic: pregnant women. it has a very cool sci fi setting and the art reminds me of metal gear solid.

Oh that one was wild.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Almost finished with Chi no Wadachi.

This definitely needs to be a film. I don't usually read Manga, but these read like storyboards to me (well, most comics do for that matter).

It should probably be a Japanese film, but it could be adapted to English (American or European).

I'm not familiar enough with Japanese directors, but for American / European, I could see this as a Denis Villeneuve or Alejandro G. Iñárritu movie.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bula Vinaka posted:

Almost finished with Chi no Wadachi.

This definitely needs to be a film. I don't usually read Manga, but these read like storyboards to me (well, most comics do for that matter).

It should probably be a Japanese film, but it could be adapted to English (American or European).

I'm not familiar enough with Japanese directors, but for American / European, I could see this as a Denis Villeneuve or Alejandro G. Iñárritu movie.

I actually feel like a film would have trouble capturing things like facial expressions. Otherwise I'd agree that the general plot could be paced well in a film.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I picked a really bad time to catch up with that. I need something uplifting now.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 30, 2021

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Things will get better any minute now in Chi no Wadame. Any minute now...

New chapter of Shuumatsu no Valkyrie

This chapter has it all, Ares getting owned over and over, Qin Shi Huang's amazing entrance, and wife guy Hades.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think that was the best entrance in the series so far. Wow.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat, QSH kicks rear end.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Things will get better any minute now in Chi no Wadame. Any minute now...

New chapter of Shuumatsu no Valkyrie

This chapter has it all, Ares getting owned over and over, Qin Shi Huang's amazing entrance, and wife guy Hades.

That's showbizz!

You know, I don't think I ever actually encountered the word bident before.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished watching Monster. It was loving amazing, how come it isn't available on Netflix or something?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

Just finished watching Monster. It was loving amazing, how come it isn't available on Netflix or something?

Does Viz still have the license for the anime? I remember buying the first set of DVDs then them not releasing any more sets due to low sales. But yes, Monster is fantastic!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wasn't Guillermo del Toro tryin to do a Monster live action series at some point?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://mangadex.org/title/b871460a-60cd-4f8e-b82a-71d227654bba/usogui-tokubetsu-hen

The Usogui mini-spin off has been translated in full. Its more Usogui, and its pretty good.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Ytlaya posted:

I actually feel like a film would have trouble capturing things like facial expressions. Otherwise I'd agree that the general plot could be paced well in a film.

Has anyone actually tried animating a manga, in manga style?

This isn't a manga, but it's close:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQ39bn8-98

It's from 2006, and at the time cost $15 million to make. I really think something like that could work.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bula Vinaka posted:

Mob Psycho 100 sorta?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bula Vinaka posted:

FLCL had 2 scenes like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC4NCor7-7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW1roeTdBT8

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone watched The Fable movies that appeared on Netflix recently? I feel like the comedy of the manga won't translate well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Anyone watched The Fable movies that appeared on Netflix recently? I feel like the comedy of the manga won't translate well.

Yeah I didn't check them out yet for the same reason. Could be good but I would need to hear a solid rec on em.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wonder if the live action DINER ever came out

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

verbal enema posted:

wonder if the live action DINER ever came out

It's been out a few weeks (months?) on netflix

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

quote:

Noir
Jormungandr
Gunslinger Girl
Madlax
Gungrave
Gangsta
Canaan.
Princess Principal
Requiem for the Phantom

Really appreciate the contributors on the previous page for throwing out these seinen gunpla(y)/thriller ala Gits/Black Lagoon recommendations now, even if all it took is wading though the years of links for bootleg scans.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New Valkyrie

Fight kicks rear end so far.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ibblebibble posted:

New Valkyrie

Fight kicks rear end so far.

That goof.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
does anyone read Tokyo Duel and if so how much of a kengan rip off is it and is it good?

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Jose posted:

does anyone read Tokyo Duel and if so how much of a kengan rip off is it and is it good?

It has more clear-cut protagonist/antagonist-split than Kengan and the fights/characters themselves are way more over-the-top and into some straight-up superpowered bullshit. I wouldn't call it as good as Kengan or Baki but it's serviceable if you enjoy gory martial arts manga.

Also like Kengan there's a murdercop and he's the worst.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Tokyo Duel is alright

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I prefer Tenkaichi myself... for reasons.

Though that's more of a Shuumatsu no Valkyrie ripoff, except with Japanese historical figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

:raise:
Something seems.... off about the anatomy in this but i can't quite put my finger on it.

And i can't really parse the clothes situation either