Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
if you wanna go really basic you could start by just imagining history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Just played as Corintar into Castanor, and now I really think Anbennar is much better then base EU4. So much backstory in the events and missions ! Explains the religion so well, so much fun to see this side of the half-orc story after my first game as Grombar, so much background history.

Loved that the Castanor tree wasn't all conquering stuff only, but lot's of building up and developing your capital. Love rebuilding the roads - really at that point I wish this was it's own game with Civ-like graphics to diplay all this stuff better.

Don't think I'll play to the end, to much conquering-only to be done. I made enemies out of all the dwarves to the east, there's a huge phoenix empire south, and big coalition wars are annoying even if you win. Had the same problem with my Aelnar game - very interesting start, at the end it's far to much conquering-only to do.

For my next game I checked the mission files for which have the most content:

73 Elikhand_Missions.txt
78 Ves_Udzenklan_Missions.txt
87 Nuugdan_Tsarai_Missions.txt
87 Xia_Missions.txt
90 LakeFederation_Missions.txt
92 Black_Demesne_Missions.txt
111 Eordand_Missions.txt
120 Jaddari_Missions.txt
127 Azkare_Missions.txt
155 Aelnar_Missions.txt
171 Castanor_Missions.txt

Maybe Azkare next ? I tried Jaddari once but the start was kind of hard. Although I really want to play in the Empire now to see their side of the story, but I have no idea at all which country to choose here.

I still want to get a dwarf run going well, but I'm so confused how you are supposed to start things as dwarf adventurer. I migrated until next to a hold, then developed the poo poo out of that province to get some income and renaissance, then colonized the hold, then got enough to start spreading out. Works, but not sure that's how you are supposed to do it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

MonikaTSarn posted:

Maybe Azkare next ? I tried Jaddari once but the start was kind of hard. Although I really want to play in the Empire now to see their side of the story, but I have no idea at all which country to choose here.

Reforming Dameria and unifying the EoA is a good run. Rebuilding the grand duchy is best done either as a redemption arc for Wesdam and its young king or as the last of the loyal marshals, Istralore. Istralore is, imo, a better start as you can quickly become emperor and then Dameria stacks nicely on top. Wesdam, though, does have a very powerful tree with one of the paths giving the ability to place Lorent under a union which helps a lot.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

loving hell it is hard to get started with this game

The wiki for the game is very well managed, since Paradox games kind of need a wiki. If you're unsure about something, it's a good habit to check the wiki first: https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Europa_Universalis_4_Wiki

If you have specific questions usually people are pretty good about answering them in this thread.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

MonikaTSarn posted:

Just played as Corintar into Castanor, and now I really think Anbennar is much better then base EU4. So much backstory in the events and missions ! Explains the religion so well, so much fun to see this side of the half-orc story after my first game as Grombar, so much background history.

Loved that the Castanor tree wasn't all conquering stuff only, but lot's of building up and developing your capital. Love rebuilding the roads - really at that point I wish this was it's own game with Civ-like graphics to diplay all this stuff better.

Don't think I'll play to the end, to much conquering-only to be done. I made enemies out of all the dwarves to the east, there's a huge phoenix empire south, and big coalition wars are annoying even if you win. Had the same problem with my Aelnar game - very interesting start, at the end it's far to much conquering-only to do.

For my next game I checked the mission files for which have the most content:

73 Elikhand_Missions.txt
78 Ves_Udzenklan_Missions.txt
87 Nuugdan_Tsarai_Missions.txt
87 Xia_Missions.txt
90 LakeFederation_Missions.txt
92 Black_Demesne_Missions.txt
111 Eordand_Missions.txt
120 Jaddari_Missions.txt
127 Azkare_Missions.txt
155 Aelnar_Missions.txt
171 Castanor_Missions.txt

I still want to get a dwarf run going well, but I'm so confused how you are supposed to start things as dwarf adventurer. I migrated until next to a hold, then developed the poo poo out of that province to get some income and renaissance, then colonized the hold, then got enough to start spreading out. Works, but not sure that's how you are supposed to do it.

if you do jaddar make sure you do a branch that incorporates haless, else you get hard blocked by the mission tree. lake fed is unique, but i found it boring myself. that said, it is mostly non combat

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Davincie posted:

if you do jaddar make sure you do a branch that incorporates haless, else you get hard blocked by the mission tree. lake fed is unique, but i found it boring myself. that said, it is mostly non combat

Haless branch is obsolete now as it has been fully incorporated into the main dev branch. There's only steam and master now.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I started as Castille and my navy has 10 cogs in it. I have no plans to do any transporting any time soon, and I'd rather have more warships. I am at my fleet power limit, so would it be OK to get rid of some of my cogs and create warships instead?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Going over your fleet limit is wayyyyyy cheaper than going over your army limit, don't worry about it.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
You can also just mothball the cogs for the time being.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

I started as Castille and my navy has 10 cogs in it. I have no plans to do any transporting any time soon, and I'd rather have more warships. I am at my fleet power limit, so would it be OK to get rid of some of my cogs and create warships instead?

If you really don't want them - i.e. you don't plan to do any colonising and don't need troops to guard colonies - you can sell them to the AI rather than just scrap them.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I spent 13 years preparing to take Granada as Castille (was trying to get back to 60% manpower to start a mission), dealt with a civil war that prolonged my wait even further, and then finally, I kicked Granada's military off the map and was sieging their provinces. Suddenly Portugal declares war on Granada and sweeps in and occupies one of their provinces, then settles their war and takes it. A province I had already sieged. What the gently caress.

Then I said fine and went to end the war and keep the remaining provinces, and somehow I clicked the wrong button and wound up not taking their land (I was able to load an old save and do it right).

Good game! I have 4 7 hours in it now and I spent a lot of that sitting around waiting for things to happen, but I'm sure as I learn more I will have more things to do.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 15, 2021

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

blue squares posted:

First impressions.

Interesting to hear your impressions, blue squares. Sounds like you're having fun despite the learning cliff. If it stays your thing it's the kind of game that can absoluutely give you hundreds of hours of entertainment, or even thousands of hours.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

blue squares posted:

I spent 13 years preparing to take Granada as Castille (was trying to get back to 60% manpower to start a mission), dealt with a civil war that prolonged my wait even further, and then finally, I kicked Granada's military off the map and was sieging their provinces. Suddenly Portugal declares war on Granada and sweeps in and occupies one of their provinces, then settles their war and takes it. A province I had already sieged. What the gently caress.

Then I said fine and went to end the war and keep the remaining provinces, and somehow I clicked the wrong button and wound up not taking their land (I was able to load an old save and do it right).

Good game! I have 4 hours in it now and I spent a lot of that sitting around waiting for things to happen, but I'm sure as I learn more I will have more things to do.

When sieging a province, if an ally or neutral third party like Portugal is also joining the siege be careful. Don't split any stacks and don't move the stack to a new direction even with the game paused, you will lose control of the siege to another party. It's easy to mess this up on accident and not notice until years later when the siege finishes. The only time this doesn't matter is if you have vassals directing the siege - they will either give you control afterwards, or if they have a strategic interest in the province they will take control - but you can just assign it back to yourself at any time. In fact, it's better to make vassals pay for enemy fort maintenance, it can save your economy precious ducats early on.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 15, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you mark it as of interest then allies will usually hand it over unless they want it themselves.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you mark it as of interest then allies will usually hand it over unless they want it themselves.

I had! That's why I was so surprised. Oh well, its just one province and we are allies, so together we have reclaimed Iberia for the Catholics so its all good.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm guessing it was occupied by Blue Squares, then a fort freed it, then Portugal showed up and occupied it again.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Can someone give me some economy tips? I abandoned a France game last night after having to declare bankruptcy due to having 5000 ducats in loans from a survival war against Burgundy and England. My questions:

1. What provinces should I build marketplaces in and what provinces should I build churches in? And which provinces should I build workshops in? I can't figure out which province should get what improvements, because they all seem useful but I don't understand it well enough to know when to pick one, the other, or both.

2. I still don't understand how trade works. I sent my merchant to steer trade in the Bourdeax trade region and one to Germany to steer trade into Champagne trade region. I took the estate options that give monopolies in exchange for +1 mercantilism every year and built up 28% mercantilism and didn't really notice it doing anything or improving my income.

3. Development - when, and which provinces, and to what extent? I remember reading that the magic dev number for a province is a total of 21, with 11 points being put into manpower and the remaining 10 divided between tax base and production. How should I balance that? Should I be developing with monarch points only after I've got tech parity? I feel like I'm losing out on the development race to my bigger neighbors and my economy isn't strong enough to juggle development, tech and research, improvements to provinces, and also building up an army that doesn't send me negative as soon as I take it off zero maintenance.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

Can someone give me some economy tips? I abandoned a France game last night after having to declare bankruptcy due to having 5000 ducats in loans from a survival war against Burgundy and England. My questions:

1. What provinces should I build marketplaces in and what provinces should I build churches in? And which provinces should I build workshops in? I can't figure out which province should get what improvements, because they all seem useful but I don't understand it well enough to know when to pick one, the other, or both.

2. I still don't understand how trade works. I sent my merchant to steer trade in the Bourdeax trade region and one to Germany to steer trade into Champagne trade region. I took the estate options that give monopolies in exchange for +1 mercantilism every year and built up 28% mercantilism and didn't really notice it doing anything or improving my income.

3. Development - when, and which provinces, and to what extent? I remember reading that the magic dev number for a province is a total of 21, with 11 points being put into manpower and the remaining 10 divided between tax base and production. How should I balance that? Should I be developing with monarch points only after I've got tech parity? I feel like I'm losing out on the development race to my bigger neighbors and my economy isn't strong enough to juggle development, tech and research, improvements to provinces, and also building up an army that doesn't send me negative as soon as I take it off zero maintenance.

1 - Marketplaces are good in your main trade node on top of trading centres, especially once said TC are upgraded to t2-3; non-primary nodes are also okay for steering but less so until later. Churches aren't particularly good and should really only be built if you're running out of other more useful things to build - slapping one on your capital isn't the worst, though. Workshops are very good and are one of the two buildings along with manufactories you'll eventually want in every province. Prioritize trade goods like iron, copper, gems, cloth, etc that have high value.

2 - A screenshot of your trade situation would help, here. What percentage of the node do you control, how much is being put in, how much pulled out, etc. Properly built nodes can get silly money - hundreds, easily by mid-to-late game just from manufactories littering the map. But without seeing your specific situation it's hard to know what you're doing right/wrong.

3 - Early development should be limited to dev rushing institutions and getting gold producing provinces up to 10 prod for that sweet sweet money. Later on once you've stacked modifiers and are burning extras toss them into trading centres for power, high value trading goods, and especially farmlands provinces where it's cheaper per point. In general though you want to be burning mana on expansion as the best source of more dev is stealing it from your neighbors.

Extra - For money situations the best source early is to always be stealing the max amount of money through wars. Always be border skirmishing for the easiest money with the fewest losses and use that to fund spamming manufactories everywhere, paying for institutions, and dealing with random money draining events.

This is all singleplayer stuff. MP is completely different.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 15, 2021

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

1) Only build market places in provinces that have some local bonus to trade power like a center of trade or an estuary or w/e (you can see these on the trade mapmode) and prioritize building them in the node your collecting from first, before moving to nodes upstream. Do not build churches, they are a noob trap. Tax income is terrible and doesnt scale well at all, and churches take something like 83.33 years to pay themselves off (assuming you dont develop your tax base, which you shouldnt)
2) Mercantilism is basically worthless, it barely improves your provincial trade power (youre better off placing marketplaces like I described above). Otherwise, its way too intricate to describe in a post, you should read the wiki
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liwkjhRm7Es

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

1. Build stuff where you’ll get the most money, ~duh~. My own rule of thumb is, I’ll build the basic economy buildings if I’m flush with cash and if it’ll earn me at least 0.13 ducats a month, though I’m sure there’s a return-on-investment graph somewhere with better answers. For market buildings, just put them in provinces with trade centres in a node you care about

2. The monopoly estate options, afaik, only give you that mercantilism bonus once every ten years. Whether or not they’re worth using is highly debatable but it’s usually “no” I think, BUT they’re great sources of quick cash! Trade itself can be quite complex but the basics: steer towards your home node. However it’s often better to have a merchant also collect in your home node if you don’t have much trade power in any other nodes

3. Developing provinces should be a last resort kind of thing, when there’s nothing else to spend your points on and you’re nearing the cap. Because the best way of gaining more development is by conquest. I’ve never heard of that “magic dev number” and I don’t know why it would exist

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Just my two cents but last time I played EU4, France was not a very newbie-friendly country to play.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i build workshops and churches in provinces they give more than 0.10 ducats a month. buildings do take a while to pay for themselves unless the province is just incredible but having solid cash flow every month is important and a building built early will end up giving you a lot of money over the whole campaign

also estate monopolies are great for goods you only have a province or two of, the mercantilism every ten years is more valuable than a single province's production, but if you have a lot of the good then you want to reserve them for quick cash only

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 15, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Always build churches so you can spread the word of God

feller
Jul 5, 2006

It's generally not a very good idea to spend money on buildings early. There are obvious exceptions like a marketplace on London, or workshop in a gem province but for the most part money should go towards soldiers or boats early on. Later on, make sure you're building from the macrobuilder and just build the one that makes the most money (it shows you the expected return).

I've also never heard of that magic dev number and it sounds like bs to me.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah to clarify, really early on buildings are a trap. you need to achieve economic security in other ways first and then start adding buildings when you can spare the cash

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MonikaTSarn posted:

as a dwarf adventurer, your goal is: identify which hold you want to be, migrate into that hold, expand and colonize outward from it, and then refound it at Admin Tech 7. you want the hold to be your capital otherwise you can't dig.

As an alternative to adventurers, you could just play a remnant hold instead. Krakdhumvror has a gigantic mission tree, for one, and doesn't have as many problems with getting instantly owned during the early game like basically every other remnant hold.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

MonikaTSarn posted:

To add on to the above, your early income as an adventurer comes through Adventuring Efficiency or whatever it's called, which is the Prussian government mechanic accessed in the government tab. It measures how well your bunch of murderhobos for a cause are doing at murderhoboing, and it gives you scaling income based on its level. It's worth putting some of your early mil points into it to generate the income for running a colony, garrisoning it with troops, and not dying when the goblins attack from the ventilation shafts like in Alien.

Generally you want to migrate into a hold, killing off the legitimate inhabitants invaders orc or goblin squatters if applicable. Usually you don't want to start colonizing until you've done this. If you take just one province from an orc or goblin nation (such as the hold you want) while having just one province of your own to begin with, you can do a warcrime by purging the province via a decision, freeing you to migrate into the gap and have the province be of your culture and religion with no angry minorities. As a bonus, you get monarch points and fulfill an age objective for doing so.

Once you've got set up in your newly reclaimed glorious capital and scrubbed away all evidence of your sins, you'll need to restore the hold. Doing so will require a shitload of gold and MP; do it anyway. Beat up some more guys for money and go into debt if you need to, because the hold will start printing money once you do, but will be close to worthless until then.

At Admin 7 your bunch of genocidal beardy war criminals can officially adopt the nation of any hold you own, probably your capital, and become a real state with ideas and hopefully missions. Note that doing so gives you a nasty malus to Admin Efficiency for 50 years or so, which makes this a bad time to conquer people but a good time to vassalize, colonize, and fill out an admin idea group (I suggest Economic, as dev cost reductions will make your life much easier and more profitable, and it dovetails well with Quantity to help fix your terminal manpower shortage :psydwarf:).

e: also, definitely dev push Renaissance on your hold, not next to it. Holds get good dev cost reductions, as compared to the development penalties on dwarf roads and caverns, and your goal is to develop your capital hold into a metropolis with hundreds of development anyway. Past a certain point, you can deepen the hold by decision every 10 dev, which gives escalating economic bonuses including larger and larger dev discounts.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 15, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

yikes! posted:

I've also never heard of that magic dev number and it sounds like bs to me.

Jay Rust posted:

3. Developing provinces should be a last resort kind of thing, when there’s nothing else to spend your points on and you’re nearing the cap. Because the best way of gaining more development is by conquest. I’ve never heard of that “magic dev number” and I don’t know why it would exist

The reason you would develop to 21 is because you want to develop to 20 to get a building slot, and then you can develop manpower one more time to 11 (21 total development). You can't develop manpower to 12 after that, because it's already over 50% of total development. You could do 11 for the same reasons, but you'll run out of provinces below 11 development pretty fast if you're developing a lot. You could also do 31, but then that's generally too expensive. Of course, this is all based on the assumption that you're trying to maximize your manpower. If you're just developing with whatever spare MP you have, which you probably are in SP, then the rationale doesn't really hold up.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Other than taking techs at +5% or below tech cost there is literally nothing else you should be doing with your dip/mil points other than deving. Easily the worst advice in the thread
Bootstrapping institutions? Deving. Making the modifiers from your buildings (which are nearly all percentage based, btw) more effective? Deving.
If you are doing something like only conquering territory to gain more dev and then blowing your points on like...buying mercantilism or something you are essentially lighting your mana on fire

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Mr. Grinch posted:

Other than taking techs at +5% or below tech cost there is literally nothing else you should be doing with your dip/mil points other than deving. Easily the worst advice in the thread
Bootstrapping institutions? Deving. Making the modifiers from your buildings (which are nearly all percentage based, btw) more effective? Deving.
If you are doing something like only conquering territory to gain more dev and then blowing your points on like...buying mercantilism or something you are essentially lighting your mana on fire

LOL

Nah dude, devving excess dip points is fine but there way better uses for Mil. Smashing the make general button for professionalism and blowing up forts is absolutely vital.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Grinch posted:

Buy down war exhaustion if you're coring more than a few provinces also.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

LOL

Nah dude, devving excess dip points is fine but there way better uses for Mil. Smashing the make general button for professionalism and blowing up forts is absolutely vital.

Professionalism isn't that great early imo and I don't push it up until I get some -leader cost modifiers.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

LOL

You can still do this and dev for manpower though?
I feel like the issue here is that people who dont dev have lovely mana generation and view it as "playing wide" instead of "a problem to solve"

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Professionalism isn't that great early imo and I don't push it up until I get some -leader cost modifiers.

yea unless its past tech 16 and you have taken nobility in the officer corp you shouldnt be spamming generals unless you like wasting your mana

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mr. Grinch posted:

literally nothing? Not even ideas?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

techs ideas whatever, same thing
the point is you absolutely should be deving or you are not extracting as many resources out of your lands as you otherwise could be
its geography dependent obviously but for the most part there is a wide array of nations that have dev cost reduction, farmlands, CoTs, cloth, etc. Deving is as essential to playing well as coring your provinces. Its not a playstyle, its a mechanic. Ignoring it is dumb

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Its not for the professionalism bonuses themselves, its for trading 5 generals worth of points for 2 years of manpower.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

yea and two years worth of low manpower because you didnt dev for manpower is going to be garbage
furthermore, if you have a giant manpower pool and have taken quantity (because why would you ever not take quantity) you will rarely if ever need to sacrifice professionalism for manpower

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I'm going to bet we play the game in very different ways, and maybe in your style devving up provinces with Mil points is correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mr. Grinch posted:

yea and two years worth of low manpower because you didnt dev for manpower is going to be garbage
furthermore, if you have a giant manpower pool and have taken quantity (because why would you ever not take quantity) you will rarely if ever need to sacrifice professionalism for manpower