Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
no playing the game differently is like one guy goes colonial or does a WC or whatever. Your "way of playing" (sacrificing 250 base mil mana for 2 years of manpower recovery) is less efficient than just having a large manpower pool and letting it recover passively (presumably with close to zero war exhaustion because with higher professionalism you win wars easier, the perks are good).

Its not like youre comparing two different styles of having fun. There is an objective: recover manpower. You can either click certain buttons in a certain sequence or click a different set of buttons in a different sequence, but with a lesser result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

a lot of it is going to come down to "did you use 250 points of mana by clicking the dev button 6 times without doing all the crazy dev meta stuff, or did you click it the 22 times you can get with all the crazy dev meta stuff?".

because frankly dev meta is super strong and a massive part of WC or super srs multiplayer games but unnecessary in the vast, vast majority of single player games

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

I dunno even in single player before I knew to stack dev cost reduction id still get coalitioned (because I didnt know how to manage/avoid it) and you absolutely need a gigantic manpower pool to not get owned
its important to learn how to dev even if you dont wanna be super sweaty about it and like...restart the campaign cause you deved without having prosperity or something

Just dont be the guy with like 300k manpower in age of absolutism cause youre going to get demolished

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what are the best ideas from idea groups expanded?

also is there a hot key when detaching untis for siege to leave all your arty with the siegers?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

also is there a hot key when detaching untis for siege to leave all your arty with the siegers?

D will detach enough regiments to continue siege, regardless of unit type. Z detaches all infantry, X detaches all cav, C detaches all cannons. So press C and then D

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

As far as I know there is never a reason to put a merchant steering trade in Bordeaux as it only has one exit and you automatically suck wealth out of it just by having trade power there. It lets you use the trade node focus buttons but the +2 trade power the merchant gives you is completely negligible.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Mr. Grinch posted:

no playing the game differently is like one guy goes colonial or does a WC or whatever. Your "way of playing" (sacrificing 250 base mil mana for 2 years of manpower recovery) is less efficient than just having a large manpower pool and letting it recover passively (presumably with close to zero war exhaustion because with higher professionalism you win wars easier, the perks are good).

Its not like youre comparing two different styles of having fun. There is an objective: recover manpower. You can either click certain buttons in a certain sequence or click a different set of buttons in a different sequence, but with a lesser result.

You can conquer way more dev with 2 years of troops than you get by spending it on provinces

TheFlyingLlama posted:

because frankly dev meta is super strong and a massive part of WC or super srs multiplayer games but unnecessary in the vast, vast majority of single player games

I know its the thing in hardcore MP stuff, but conquering land is just better in SP. I've done WCs where I never touched a dev button outside of institutions.

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 16, 2021

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really like this game so far

Also the posts about dwarves and orcs are cracking me up. I will have to try that mod someday

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the guy who didn't know how combat or forts work last month is now arumba II

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

what the gently caress does dev meta have to do with the notoriously confusing zone of control mechanics?
https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Zone_of_control
Look at this poo poo and tell me its easily understood

jesus at least resource extraction is just math

Edit: lol just realized youre the dude that gave short incorrect answers to my questions before, thanks for continuing to contribute nothing valuable to the conversation

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 16, 2021

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

You can conquer way more dev with 2 years of troops than you get by spending it on provinces

this is absolutely not true because of AE, and especially not before admin efficiency

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Grinch posted:

I dunno even in single player before I knew to stack dev cost reduction id still get coalitioned (because I didnt know how to manage/avoid it) and you absolutely need a gigantic manpower pool to not get owned

nah you just need an ally who gets owned faster than you do so you can sell them out

Anyway sure if you went quantity-economic-quality or whatever then you likely want to dev, but you're not always going to go quantity first, especially in SP. You might want exploration first, maybe you just want space marines and so take other mil groups, etc. E.g. in my current Bohemia game I have influence-humanist-offensive, because I want to stack diploannex costs and -separatism (humanist-offensive policy gives -5, also the influence-offensive policy is nice for the diplo relation slot for the PUs). I'm probably not taking quantity fourth either, since I want administrative for cheaper diploannex, and also coring for when I want to form Sardinia-Piedmonte/Croatia/Austria. (I still have developed a bit actually, but I've also had to slacken a couple times)

Also if you're a republic then you also want to use mil points to get RT, and might still want to get legitimacy sometimes as a monarchy.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Staltran posted:

nah you just need an ally who gets owned faster than you do so you can sell them out

lol I dont think ive ever had an AI ally that didnt dishonor the call when I got DoWed

Staltran posted:

Anyway sure if you went quantity-economic-quality or whatever then you likely want to dev, but you're not always going to go quantity first, especially in SP. You might want exploration first

Also if you're a republic then you also want to use mil points to get RT, and might still want to get legitimacy sometimes as a monarchy.

Sure, and ive played colonization games before or taken influence ideas as burgundy or whatever, my point was that you will still want to dev your poo poo so that you dont just have a sea of low resource provinces. Some of the responses in this thread seem like they dont spend a single point on deving and that is mindboggling to me

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

blue squares posted:

I really like this game so far

Also the posts about dwarves and orcs are cracking me up. I will have to try that mod someday

It really is a very good mod. Better than vanilla, imo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Honestly I'm only still playing EU4 for Anbennar. I have a thousand hours in this game and have played enough of vanilla to know what to expect; a whole new fantasy world with an ungodly amount of cool mechanics and mission trees is a legitimate draw.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mr. Grinch posted:

lol I dont think ive ever had an AI ally that didnt dishonor the call when I got DoWed
Or takes a look at a small country allied to France, guaranteed by the Ottomans and Commonwealth is the defender of faith and of course I will help them in their offensive war, right? :downs:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Rynoto posted:

It really is a very good mod. Better than vanilla, imo.

Yeah I am over 700 hours and I can't see myself going back to vanilla for any reason. Playing a goblin game, Marblehead to overclan, after the recent chat in thread. Last time I played was a while ago and they have added quite a bit. The variety helps, playing as a dwarf digging into your main hold and slowly spreading is an entirely different game than playing as a multicultural land grabbers or orks forming corintar

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Yeah I am over 700 hours and I can't see myself going back to vanilla for any reason. Playing a goblin game, Marblehead to overclan, after the recent chat in thread. Last time I played was a while ago and they have added quite a bit. The variety helps, playing as a dwarf digging into your main hold and slowly spreading is an entirely different game than playing as a multicultural land grabbers or orks forming corintar

Godyeah. All the different races having their own highly unique militaries helps a ton with playstyle, and artificery completely changes the game in all the right ways. Goblins going from horrible militaries that get instantly obliterated by shock in the early game into hordes super soldiers with exosuits, machine guns, and magical explosives lategame is A+++

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vote for EU4 Anbennar in the Game of the Year thread! It’s gonna be my #4 :)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Should I get really comfortable with the base game before I try Anbennar or could I switch back and forth without too much trouble?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There are plenty of Anbennar nations that don't need much EU4 knowledge. Many of them are just so different that very little experience carries over.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The real reason to focus on dev is to make the little city bigger and bigger until it fills the province.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

The real reason to focus on dev is to make the little city bigger and bigger until it fills the province.

Honestly this motivated me to learn the development mechanics because I'm a sucker for visual representations of growth and improvement

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Honestly this motivated me to learn the development mechanics because I'm a sucker for visual representations of growth and improvement

same

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Trying to play as Portugal and every time I try to fight Morocco or Granada my poo poo gets wrecked by the alliances they have.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

You should bring in allies of your own

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

blue squares posted:

Trying to play as Portugal and every time I try to fight Morocco or Granada my poo poo gets wrecked by the alliances they have.

Portugal gives you the opportunity to learn one of the best tricks in the game. Armies can only cross a strait if there is no enemy ships between or if they control both sides. If you have naval dominance and control one side you can completely dictate battles. If enemy armies are crossing at different speeds you can time your ships entering so only 1 makes it across for you to wipe and the rest get pushed back to the other side. The other neat trick is with retreating armies, if you have your boats out of the strait (docked in a province usually) and you beat an army they will attempt to retreat across the strait. Once they do, put your boats back into the strait and the retreat will be force stopped and you will get a stack wipe. (If you have boats in the strait at the moment a battle ends they will be able to retreat across even though its blocked)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

“If I have naval dominance” lol I get annihilated in every sea battle too

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

blue squares posted:

Should I get really comfortable with the base game before I try Anbennar or could I switch back and forth without too much trouble?

The core gameplay is the same, there is just more stuff added on. For example, learn where province modifiers are? Now there's going to be even more, mostly with races being represented as minority slices of the population. Learned how the different numbers impact your military? Now every nation of a different racial majority has even more modifiers on those numbers. That kind of thing. Once you have the core gameplay down, I wouldn't say it's a big jump it's just a bit more stuff.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Nobody actually knows how naval combat works, so we can't help you there.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Will allies you have very high trust with and also overpower in terms of military strength deign to sell you their provinces you have marked as provinces of vital importance? Or will they only do this if their monarch is an Embezzler? Let's just say I clearly marked these provinces as mine yet my buddies conquered them anyway, and so their status as "allies" might change very soon.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Will allies you have very high trust with and also overpower in terms of military strength deign to sell you their provinces you have marked as provinces of vital importance? Or will they only do this if their monarch is an Embezzler? Let's just say I clearly marked these provinces as mine yet my buddies conquered them anyway, and so their status as "allies" might change very soon.

If they are an Embezzler and in debt yeah maybe. Or if you try it before they core them. But pretty much no.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I have only seen the AI sell provinces if they are very deep in debt. With high enough trust they will no longer set your provinces as vital interest, but it does nothing for provinces that you don't already own. Unless you have a core on it in which case you can buy it back for favors.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gotcha, thanks!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Speaking of Naval Combat, are galleys still overpowered in this patch? And are they only OP in inland seas or just in general?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Their engagement width is back to 1. Still very good in inland seas, of course. And I think still better than heavies in coastal seas?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Going to keep posting questions in here. Please let me know if its annoying and I don't mind, I can stick to asking EU4 reddit.

Anyway, playing as Portugal and trying multiple times to fight in Granda or Morocco. Feels impossible. This most recent try I invaded Granda and was steamrolling them, but as soon as their allies took Cueta they came in with 30k+ troops and immediately defeated me. I have tried using my Navy to blockade the strait but as soon as I get into a Naval battle the enemy allies turn a winning fight into a losing one by bringing 40 ships into the same place. I even have a flagship in my fleet and it is not enough. Was it just bad luck that Tunis, Tlemicin, Morocco, and Granada all allied instead of any of them rivaling another? In a video I am watching, Morocco and Tlemcin went to war with each other which prevented them from helping Granada when Portugal invaded.

Should I just wait longer to build up my military more? Or should I play as a different nation than Portugal to learn the game? (edit: I should probably choose this option anyway since I have now played Castille or Portugal for 10 hours and keep flubbing it on my first war. I'll go beat up on some people as Ottomans or Muscovy)

I'm watching this youtube series called Aruma teaches Monk 004 how to play EU4 and it is definitely helping a lot as it goes. I read some of the comments about Arumba but this video series is helpful. I found it on the EU4 reddit in the recommended section for new players.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 16, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

blue squares posted:

Should I just wait longer to build up my military more? Or should I play as a different nation than Portugal to learn the game?

You can't have anything. As you might know, historically Portugal didn't have much success invading Granada and Africa. They went to India and bought some ports there (port buying feature requires DLC but you can conquer them the usual way as long as you have Expansion ideas, which are a good addition to Exploration ideas you might want to take). There's also uncolonized land in Africa, and there are some weak technologically backward countries there. It's certainly possible to do what you're trying to do but you'd need good allies and even then the cards may lay not in your favor. E.g. if Morocco has some lucky early wars and allies, I dunno, Mamluks, and those Mamluks are successful too - then it might very well be not worth it to go to Africa at all!

When you declare war at the bottom you can see compared land army power of alliances. In the early game technology and ideas do not have a big effect so it's a safe bet that the war won't be worth it unless you have a significant advantage in numbers. Look for weaker targets, and sometimes you have to just wait. Attack the enemy who's already fighting in another work, or attack someone when their allies are fighting in another war. If someone you hate has a lot of allies try to attack one of those allies directly - this way you might fight fewer countries.

Mind you, this is a very basic advance and it might very well be wrong for more experienced players. But I think that for a new player it's important to learn to see the big picture and react to it before you start to influence it yourself.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anbennarchat:
Wondering if I’ve run into a very specific bug: there’s a mission in the Corintar tree that asks for one of your provinces to have Redtusk Orc culture, but... I don’t see it anywhere on the map. I THINK it was supposed to spawn on completing a previous mission but, well, it hasn’t, and now I’m worried that I’m gonna be locked out of finishing the tree. Which would suck because I’ve been having a blast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

It does spawn from a mission (or maybe an event after one?) and then starts converting all your other orc provinces to it automatically