Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Carol Danvers was basically an X-Man for a while in Claremont's run. She trained with them and went on missions with th and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
One of the specifications of the original question was that the human had to have just walked up and joined of their own volition rather than kind of stumbling onto the team, which immediately rules out Carol since she was just hanging out at the mansion after telling off the Avengers in Avengers Annual #10. Ditto Longshot who basically just tumbles out of the Mojo-verse and sticks around because he's Longshot.

Karima Shapandar is a bit closer, since although she did usually appear as a result of being disassembled or mangled in some way, she usually stuck around out of principle rather than narrative inertia and often had ample chunks of down time to have left if she felt like leaving.

This is a really interesting question actually and it's got me thinking about X-history in a fun new way. I guess when Spider-Man shows up to teach the special class that might be the closest I can think of unless you count Rory Campbell, the Muir Island lab tech who may or may not be destined to grow into Ahab. Peter showed up specifically to honor a request from the then-dead Logan.

Edit: Oh, also, I found an answer to the question about Cyclops' eyes in an old AIPT Hickman interview. Basically Proteus does not "editorialize" unless specifically requested by the decedent, and just restores the latest backup warts and all. So presumably Cyclops could stipulate "next time fix my brain trauma" (we know that you can request some pretty wild stuff, although on the page we haven't seen much beyond Quentin Quire asking for altered hair and a longer dick) but iirc he has not died since the initial attack on Orchis, which was very much a "let's cross our fingers and hope this works" thing so he may not have been thinking through all the implications of the process.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 30, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What about the Aboriginal fella that the X-Men used as a travel service while they were hiding out in Australia? Was he a mutant?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

What about the Aboriginal fella that the X-Men used as a travel service while they were hiding out in Australia? Was he a mutant?

Gateway, yeah he's a mutant.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Gateway, yeah he's a mutant.

Thank you very much. I couldn't remember if it was ever stated but it probably was. I've read so many issues that certain facts have fallen out of my brain.

Anyway, I was reading Uncanny X-Men #273 and thought the art work on the first page was very good so looked to see who the penciler was turned out it was pencliers in the form of: Jim Lee, Whilce Portacio, Klaus Janson, John Byrne, Rick Leonardi, Marc Silvestri, Michael Golden and Larry Stroman. The issue is only 24 ages long so what could be the reasons that there would be this many?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

Thank you very much. I couldn't remember if it was ever stated but it probably was. I've read so many issues that certain facts have fallen out of my brain.

Anyway, I was reading Uncanny X-Men #273 and thought the art work on the first page was very good so looked to see who the penciler was turned out it was pencliers in the form of: Jim Lee, Whilce Portacio, Klaus Janson, John Byrne, Rick Leonardi, Marc Silvestri, Michael Golden and Larry Stroman. The issue is only 24 ages long so what could be the reasons that there would be this many?

I think it was a special issue that launched the new direction for the X line, so basically everyone involved got a page.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Flipping through it, seems like a catchup issue setting the groundwork for the various teams/titles, so they probably just got everyone to contribute a couple of pages for what they will be working on in the future.

Or they were hella late.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yes it was just after X-Tinction Agenda so the teams had been brought together and there had been some changes to the line ups. Thanks for the answers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

If it helps, I don't think Gateway was confirmed as a mutant for a long time. He was just this Aboriginal guy who sat out in the Outback opening portals for the Reavers and then the X-Men.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bessantj posted:

Yes it was just after X-Tinction Agenda so the teams had been brought together and there had been some changes to the line ups. Thanks for the answers.

Was this the point at which Excalibur’s status was solidified as a title not really involved with X-Men crossover stuff? They have an Inferno issue, but that’s about it for the 90s.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps, I don't think Gateway was confirmed as a mutant for a long time. He was just this Aboriginal guy who sat out in the Outback opening portals for the Reavers and then the X-Men.

I'm having a hard time these days knowing who is a mutant and who isn't any longer.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Was this the point at which Excalibur’s status was solidified as a title not really involved with X-Men crossover stuff? They have an Inferno issue, but that’s about it for the 90s.

Maybe, I'm up to #36 for Excalibur and while they do still have Shadowcat, Nightcrawler and Rachel on their team they don't really seem that X-Men adjacent.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

I'm having a hard time these days knowing who is a mutant and who isn't any longer.

Maybe, I'm up to #36 for Excalibur and while they do still have Shadowcat, Nightcrawler and Rachel on their team they don't really seem that X-Men adjacent.

They show up a bit in the Phalanx Covenant, but I can't think of any other X-events short of full-on alt-timelines that they show up.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Excalibur #71 is a Fatal Attractions tie-in.

My hunch with UXM #273 is that it was both things at once: an all-star jam issue to celebrate the mutant books dovetailing more than they had in years, signified by the return to the mansion, but also an opportunity to give Jim Lee breathing room to work on the double-sized #275.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

So why does Cyclops still have the brain damage that prevents him from controlling his abilities when he's resurrected? I'm beginning to suspect that they haven't really thought through the implications of their story concept.

because they get brought back exactly how they were when the cerebro backup was made (unless they're intentionally hosed with in the resurrection process)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

Excalibur #71 is a Fatal Attractions tie-in.

My hunch with UXM #273 is that it was both things at once: an all-star jam issue to celebrate the mutant books dovetailing more than they had in years, signified by the return to the mansion, but also an opportunity to give Jim Lee breathing room to work on the double-sized #275.

Didn't realise #275 was a double issue when I was reading it. Must have been decent!

I'm about to read The New Mutants #98!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Has Marvel, or anyone else, produced a coffee mug of the Celestial Areshem the Judge's head, hopefully one available for purchase?

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
How does The Maxx comic series end? I never can get past the Alan Moore story.

Did The Maxx rip off it’s whole outback concept from the Noozles?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

King Baby posted:

How does The Maxx comic series end?

Do not ask questions you're not prepared to hear the answer to.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

King Baby posted:

How does The Maxx comic series end?
Like the end, end?

the world ends and reality is rebooted. Max is a helpful college janitor and Gona is a professor and they have a nice little friendship going. Everyone is fulfilled and happy

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Okay. After listening to a podcast or two, let me see if I can figure out what the supposed 'myth arc' of the DC Comics universe over the last ten years has been, due to various RL factors. And JUST IN CASE I'll spoil it.

1) It's 2011. Geoff Johns is writing the Flash and starts planning an event called Flashpoint. It's supposed to just be a ‘semi-contained’ big event, like say, Joker’s Last Laugh. But DC sees it and thinks “Hey, we can use this to do another gigantic retcon and freshen up our universe and get rid of all sorts of moribund continuity and miscellaneous characters!” as they once again seek the vaunted Jumping On Point For New Readers. So Johns reworks it and so the end of Flashpoint has Flash, in fixing the broken timeline, merge the original DC timeline, Wildstorm, and the Vertigo universes into a new one. This is “The New 52”.

2) Either at the start, or at some point in the next years, Johns decides that the great big reveal is that Dr. Manhattan, from the Watchmen comic, tampered with the DC Universe and hence is going to either be the latest big villain ala the Anti Monitor or maybe even further up because drat Watchmen is so cool and deep. Whenever this is decided, after the new 52 starts and is going along, we start getting big events. First up is Trinity War, where the three Justice Leagues get in a fight over Pandora’s Box because…it has some giant secret that needs to be known or something, which leads into Forever Evil, which is caused when Earth-3, the classic “Mirror Universe for DC” shows up with its latest incarnation of the Crime Syndicate, summoned by Pandora’s Box, which is from Earth-3, which is ‘the origin of evil’, and hence only someone from Earth-3 can open the box. So they cause a bunch of trouble and ultimately are beaten, and then it’s revealed that they were fleeing the newest incarnation of the Anti-Monitor, who is in a war with Darkseid. Which leads to the next big event, the Darkseid War, where among other things the JLA briefly end up becoming replacement New Gods. But…

3) The New 52, for the most part, is a failure. Once again, the people in charge fail to realize that there are no New Readers, because the gatekeepers and obsessives are so calcified in place that they let few if any pass, and many decide they don’t want to. And these obsessives LIKE all the stuff that the New 52 got rid of, like Wally West, and Cassandra Cain, and so on. It doesn’t help that outside of a few of the new 52 books, nothing catches fire. But one of the runs that does get over is Scott Snyder’s run on Batman, as he begins inserting his own deep lore (the Court of Owls) and retcons (Zero Year) into the character.

3.5) This is likely all made worse by Marvel utterly killing it at the box office in 2012 with the Avengers and then, for a while, hitting line drives at worst with their films for the next several years. As usual, the Powers That Be say “US TOO!”, but in a combination of not being patient enough to seed the ground like Marvel did and taking way too much from the success of The Dark Knight, DC’s attempt to form its own cinematic universe underperforms with Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and culminating in Justice League basically killing the plan and making future DC films more standalone.

4) But Geoff Johns is still building to this big reveal and story (which will become Doomsday Clock). Meanwhile, Grant Morrison writes The Multiversity, which has several creative books and enjoyable ones, but DC misses the greater message of “All you people want to do is gorge yourself on the same repeated moments and it will just kill this fictional field eventually.” in it, mainly taking away the ‘Multiverse Map’ Morrison creates. Also, there’s some DC event called Convergence, which does a bunch of retcons for unpopular stuff like bringing back Ryan Choi and Liam Harper and supposedly at the end of it it retcons the original Crisis from happening and hence now there’s many more Earths or something? I honestly have no idea exactly how Convergence fits into the greater scheme of things, just that it brought several characters back, because…

5) Deciding that the New 52 is a dud, DC does another soft reboot with DC Rebirth in 2016, which among other things starts returning and retconning away all the disliked stuff of the New 52, like the Teen Titans forming the first time under Tim Drake. It’s actually kind of a shining example of why nothing changes in comics: Ed Brubaker Brian Azzarello (Edit: Wrong writer, my mistake) wrote a long run on Wonder Woman where she became the new god of war and was retconned to actually be Zeus’ child and other stuff, and as far as I can tell it wasn’t disliked, but when DC Rebirth happened and Wonder Woman restarted, she put on her lasso and it went “You have been deceived” and everything that Brubaker Azzarello had done was discarded as a dream and then Wondy went to see Steve Trevor in the shower before going to the Marvel U and talking to the Hulk about having entire storyline runs retconned away. But despite this, Geoff Johns is still building to Doomsday Clock, and there’s little hints like the end of Darkseid War and a small side event called The Button where characters seemingly come into Manhatten’s presence and are destroyed for it.

Meanwhile, Scott Snyder finishes his run on Batman and gets a ‘writer level up’, where you start in a comic company writing the lowest books and get better ones if you’re not a total fuckup like Chuck Austin, like you’re someone gaining experience points in an RPG. Geoff Johns is a strong example: he went from doing Stars and STRIPE and a Beast Boy miniseries, to the JSA, to Teen Titans when it returned thanks to the popularity of the 2003 animated series, to on the big books like Superman, Green Lantern, Justice League, and being the main hand (or one of them) behind a large chunk of the big crisis events in DC Comics in the 2000’s, like Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, and one of the people writing 52 (not to be confused by the New 52). With his success on Batman, Snyder pitches doing his own event, Dark Knights: Metal.

6) Both Dark Knights Metal and Doomsday clock start in 2017, but Doomsday Clock runs into delays. And then more delays. And then MORE delays, turning what was supposed to be a year long book into two years. Meanwhile, Metal finishes on time, introducing its own big cosmic elements like ‘The Dark Multiverse’ which Synder, moving to Justice League, keeps building on, introducing his own ‘supreme hand’ behind events, Perpetua, who supposedly created the DC Multiverse, influenced every single being that caused a Crisis (Anti Monitor, Parallax, Alexander Luthor, Barbados, etc), and is the latest example of ‘the stakes must keep being raised’. This kind of leaves Doomsday Clock and Dr. Manhattan out in the cold. What role precisely does Manhattan play now in the wider DC history? Did he follow Perpetua’s plan in some way? Is he an alien element she let muck around in her sandbox? In essence, Doomsday Clock was supposed to be the most recent big thing that the DC Universe would come out of changed, but because it just got so drat delayed, DC ultimately left it behind and turned to Snyder’s work instead.

7) Hence, Doomsday Clock, now finished, seems to have affected nothing in the DC Universe, while Perpetua and the Dark Multiverse have become the hinge. Even something that came out of the second half of Darkseid War (Batman discovering there are three Jokers) was instead shunted off onto DC’s Black Label, which basically means it’s not canon and just another plot hole. Meanwhile, Synder builds up to a new event, Death Metal, where his Ultimate Batman Who Is Also Joker And Also Dr. Manhattan screws over Perpetua, tries to be the latest threat to destroy everything, and then Wonder Woman smashes a sun over his head and now everything is canon again, or something. And whatever great universe shaking nonsense that is coming down the pipe is tied to what Synder did in the last several years, not what Johns was building to.

Do I have it right, more or less? The moral of the story: meet your drat deadlines. Well that, and the usual "Don't let the drat money people write the comics, it never works out."

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 16, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
A lot of that sounds about right but aside from Flashpoint going from mini-event to major event I'm not 100% on any of it and I'm sure Edge & Christian will be along soon enough with an effort post to make me feel like a fool if I go around saying "yes definitely" to anything

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm pretty sure most of that is pretty accurate to what happened, yeah.

The past decade of DC comics has been an absolutely wild loving trip.

EDIT: I feel like there should be something in there about Heroes in Crisis and how Tom King managed to write a Crisis story that's almost as bad as Identity Crisis.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 15, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

It’s actually kind of a shining example of why nothing changes in comics: Ed Brubaker wrote a long run on Wonder Woman where she became the new god of war and was retconned to actually be Zeus’ child and other stuff, and as far as I can tell it wasn’t disliked, but when DC Rebirth happened and Wonder Woman restarted, she put on her lasso and it went “You have been deceived” and everything that Brubaker had done was discarded as a dream and then Wondy went to see Steve Trevor in the shower before going to the Marvel U and talking to the Hulk about having entire storyline runs retconned away.

I just woke up and got really confused, then hopeful, then disappointed. This was Brian Azzarello, that other noir guy. I'm a giant Ed Brubaker fanboy, but sadly, he has never written Wonder Woman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also that run was actually very divisive. Basically one of those runs that tries to grab readers by fundamentally gutting a big part of the character's world and core. Like if someone talented did a Superman run where the Kents were revealed to be Klan members and Clark started to kill bad guys. It might be well executed but it's a bad Superman story cuz it clearly doesn't get the premise

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Yeah, that run's take on the Amazons was hideous, so I'm fine with it being memory holed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Convergence was also their "band aid" run to paper over the crazy of going from NY to CA.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just woke up and got really confused, then hopeful, then disappointed. This was Brian Azzarello, that other noir guy. I'm a giant Ed Brubaker fanboy, but sadly, he has never written Wonder Woman.

Ditto, I very hurriedly tabbed away and googled "Brubaker Wonder Woman" because god I bet that would be a fun run if it existed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got Brubaker confused with Rucka and was like "yes of course this is correct"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That's the overall shape of things, with a few caveats:

1) Flashpoint was always going to be an Event with tie-in issues and whatnot, but be somewhat self-contained in the "it's an alternate universe" sense. According to various interviews the first pitch was to have the new timeline change in less substantial ways, like it could be an excuse to retcon some things, including apparently making it so that Lois and Clark never got married, etc.

This quickly snowballed into the idea of them doing their Ultimate DC or whatever after self-proclaimed attempts to do so (All-Star, Earth One) didn't really take off. Because DC decided on pretty short notice they were going to reboot their entire universe, it was all very haphazard.

2) From all accounts the idea of bringing in Doctor Manhattan came five years after the New 52, when Dan Didio was looking for something to shake things up and pitched to Geoff Johns the idea of doing "DC Rebirth" in the same style of revamping as Johns's Green Lantern: Rebirth and Flash: Rebirth. The Trinity War stuff was definitely reworked as it went along (they re-did a whole "flash forward" sequence from a FCBD book when they actually got there a year later) but I don't believe anyone has ever mentioned Watchmen/Dr. Manhattan being part of the initial plans.

3) The New 52 was definitely not a success overall, and as mentioned above after about five years they were looking for another shake-up.

3.5) I think that in the grand scheme of things the relative success of Marvel Comics and DC Comics in the direct market and the relative success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the DC Cinematic Universe probably aren't nearly as connected as you're suggesting, though I know a lot of people here think they're much more deeply linked than I've ever heard/seen indication of.

4) Geoff Johns plants the seeds for Doomsday Clock in the DC Rebirth launch in May 2016, which was about a year after Multiversity wrapped up. Convergence came out between Multiversity and DC Rebirth in the spring of 2015, and its genesis was pretty explicitly "everyone who works in our offices are moving from New York City to Burbank so we need a fill-in crew to write/draw/edit/traffic manage our books for a month or two while everyone moves". The pitch for that was to revisit various points in DC's history with a metastory that has been almost entirely ignored outside of (temporarily) having a spin-off mini-series about "alternate pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois and their son".

I don't believe any other characters from Convergence actually "came back" in any meaningful way; Ryan Choi got killed in the old DCU before the New 52 launched, and he was "brought back" in a cameo in Justice League during the New 52. In Convergence a two issue mini-series set in the old DCU brought him back from the dead, but he was still a random lab tech who never really appeared in anything in the New 52. Lian Harper (killed in the old DCU) is also brought back in a Convergence two-shot, but doesn't show back up in "real" DC Comics until 2020. DC did a whole mini-revamp after Convergence with "DCYou", the most remembered bit was the Batgirl of Burnside stuff which was a character revamp but nothing particularly cosmic or retconny.

5) Rebirth in 2016 was designed to reinvigorate the DC line and undo some of the things people didn't like about the New 52. It also had the big Dr. Manhattan reveal, but apparently Johns kept waffling on whether or not he actually wanted to do a full follow-up. He was also increasingly busy helping create lawsuits on the movie side of things at DC, which left DC in an awkward situation where they needed to drip feed omens and hints about the big Dr. Manhattan explanation that they weren't sure the details or, and when or if Johns would ever get around to writing the book. This led to weird poo poo like The Button and everything involving MR. OZ in the Superman books

6) So all of the Scott Snyder Metal stuff was built to work regardless of whatever happened with Doomsday Clock. They tried to kind of mention each other enough to let people put the pieces together if you want to.

7) Johns and Doomsday Clock due to a combination of delays, power shifts at DC, and delays didn't end up really setting up a new status quo. Arguably Death Metal did succeed in setting up a bold new Infinite Frontier, but it was originally meant to reset things into "DC 5G", a new status quo that was repeatedly reworked and eventually scrapped when Dan Didio got fired. Some of the books pitched for 5G have been scrapped, others reworked to fit into FUTURE STATE, and a few were just published like nothing ever happened and you're just meant to politely ignore whatever continuity bits don't make sense.

The current status quo of the DCU is that everything has happened, except the parts that never happened, and all things are possible because of an infinite multiverse that's just part of an transfinite omniverse which itself is just one small sliver of whatever the big senses-shattering reveal of Infinite Frontier/Justice League Incarnate/etc. ends up revealing.

The real takeaway of all of this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA9hmrC8DU&t=149s

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Thanks, E&C. Though now I have a follow up question about said power shifts at DC and just why Didio was fired, ie the whys and hows of it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Reading all of this reminded me that Future's End was a thing that actually happened and lol. What a mess that turned out to be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vandar posted:

Reading all of this reminded me that Future's End was a thing that actually happened and lol. What a mess that turned out to be.

I haven't read Future's End, but my favorite thing about it was on Free Comic Book day the only free comic with Superman was the Future's End tie in where he's a weird spider robot thing

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember the Batman Future End annual being called back to years later in Snyder's Batman run. I figured that was the only important thing about the event.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read Future's End, but my favorite thing about it was on Free Comic Book day the only free comic with Superman was the Future's End tie in where he's a weird spider robot thing

That was such a lovely preview thing, especially giving it away on FCBD.

Just lmao-ing at them giving this away and thinking anyone would want to read the series afterwards.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

And hell, while we're at it, I recently re-read Stephen King's The Jaunt and it made me start thinking about DC speedsters. Them in particular, as Marvel tends to have their speedsters top out at "Can go at Mach 30 if they REALLY FREAKING PUSH THEMSELVES" (which is 23,000 miles per hour, or "Could run around the whole world six times if they could sustain the speed for an hour"), while DC loves "Let's start with light speed and then just rip apart all laws of physics because we're comic books, baby." like the time Wally West beat aliens in a trans-galaxy race to Earth where he had to move and they could INSTANTANEOUSLY TELEPORT.

So the Speed Force basically covers all the secondary issues of super speed and extreme super speed: it negates friction, provides energy, provides lubrication and padding for joints so they don't wear out from human legs rotating thousands of times per minute and slamming into the ground much harder than a normal human could ever step on it,and so on. And when going at extreme speed, physics go all wonky. Things stand completely still, so you can pluck bullets out of the air, run right up to the edge of an explosion and pull something away, etc etc. You can move on water like it's a solid surface and move on vertical and horizontal surfaces like you're stepping from one path to another because gravity can't get its mitts into you. And the key to this is that your perception is altered to work at this speed: to you, events slow down and just keep slowing down until everything is a statue, unmoving, frozen.

Fine if you want to dodge bullets or pull pedestrians out of the way of speeding trucks, but to you, time is still passing. So, is there something that speeds it up on another level? Even if Wally can read a whole library shelf about engineering, grab all the materials and tools needed to rebuild a bridge, and then rebuild it in the space of seconds, does that meant he spent years by his perception doing it? If a person runs from one end of the United States to the other, even if they do it in a microsecond, did they still perceive it as a multi day journey, even if they never got tired or sore or needed to stop for food and water? Basically, human minds don't cope with isolation well, so unless there's some way that you can 'double-speed' these things, every single Flash level speedster should swiftly go insane. Like the Jaunt said, It's eternity in there. Longer than you think.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cornwind Evil posted:

And hell, while we're at it, I recently re-read Stephen King's The Jaunt and it made me start thinking about DC speedsters. Them in particular, as Marvel tends to have their speedsters top out at "Can go at Mach 30 if they REALLY FREAKING PUSH THEMSELVES" (which is 23,000 miles per hour, or "Could run around the whole world six times if they could sustain the speed for an hour"), while DC loves "Let's start with light speed and then just rip apart all laws of physics because we're comic books, baby." like the time Wally West beat aliens in a trans-galaxy race to Earth where he had to move and they could INSTANTANEOUSLY TELEPORT.

So the Speed Force basically covers all the secondary issues of super speed and extreme super speed: it negates friction, provides energy, provides lubrication and padding for joints so they don't wear out from human legs rotating thousands of times per minute and slamming into the ground much harder than a normal human could ever step on it,and so on. And when going at extreme speed, physics go all wonky. Things stand completely still, so you can pluck bullets out of the air, run right up to the edge of an explosion and pull something away, etc etc. You can move on water like it's a solid surface and move on vertical and horizontal surfaces like you're stepping from one path to another because gravity can't get its mitts into you. And the key to this is that your perception is altered to work at this speed: to you, events slow down and just keep slowing down until everything is a statue, unmoving, frozen.

Fine if you want to dodge bullets or pull pedestrians out of the way of speeding trucks, but to you, time is still passing. So, is there something that speeds it up on another level? Even if Wally can read a whole library shelf about engineering, grab all the materials and tools needed to rebuild a bridge, and then rebuild it in the space of seconds, does that meant he spent years by his perception doing it? If a person runs from one end of the United States to the other, even if they do it in a microsecond, did they still perceive it as a multi day journey, even if they never got tired or sore or needed to stop for food and water? Basically, human minds don't cope with isolation well, so unless there's some way that you can 'double-speed' these things, every single Flash level speedster should swiftly go insane. Like the Jaunt said, It's eternity in there. Longer than you think.

Not the Flash but I highly recommend finding a copy of X-Factor #87 where Quicksilver kind of talks about this and how it effects his outlook on life. It's more of a psychological reading on it than anything else but worth looking at.

Edit: here is the page in mentioned above

Madkal fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 16, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

More than most superheroes' powers, you can't really think about how Flash's power really works or it just breaks down into absurdity. To me, the speedy feats that Flash and Superman do are happening mostly in real-time to them as well but they have super perception to interrupt at an exact moment or change direction or avoid danger, like if you put a movie on the highest fast forward setting but could still fully understand everything and be quick enough to notice some small thing me stop the tape instantly on that frame. (Talking VHS here, digital fast forward skips).

Also a bit funny to think about how they portray the speed on the Flash TV show because they animate his arms and legs moving at high speed but not the Flash's face, so it gives the impression in those running scenes that his limbs are moving superfast even to him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The Flash and the Speed Force are, to me, a problem of fans growing up (and to a lesser extent nowadays, the internet). There's a quote from Grant Morrison I love: "Kids understand that real crabs don’t sing like the ones in The Little Mermaid. But you give an adult fiction, and the adult starts asking really loving dumb questions like ‘How does Superman fly? How do those eyebeams work? Who pumps the Batmobile’s tires?’ It’s a loving made-up story, you idiot! Nobody pumps the tires!"

The Flash is the Fastest Man Alive™, you shouldn't have to make up a dumb force to explain how he's not insane, but now you have people trying to apply real-world physics to how a human can run so quickly and not burn his skin off or whatever, and the answer is just shut up and enjoy it.

(this comment isn't a slam on you Cornwind Evil, just a general sort of venting about videos youtube keeps pushing on me trying to explain how different superpowers are unrealistic and how they would work in the real world. I grant you though it is a minor annoyance when reading Big Two comics how wildly heroes' power levels can differ in between books)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 16, 2021

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The speed force is exactly the same as "a wizard did it", don't overthink it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vandar posted:

That was such a lovely preview thing, especially giving it away on FCBD.

Just lmao-ing at them giving this away and thinking anyone would want to read the series afterwards.

Jesus Christ, DC. Just when I thought you couldn't get any worse.

TwoPair posted:

The Flash and the Speed Force are, to me, a problem of fans growing up (and to a lesser extent nowadays, the internet). There's a quote from Grant Morrison I love: "Kids understand that real crabs don’t sing like the ones in The Little Mermaid. But you give an adult fiction, and the adult starts asking really loving dumb questions like ‘How does Superman fly? How do those eyebeams work? Who pumps the Batmobile’s tires?’ It’s a loving made-up story, you idiot! Nobody pumps the tires!"

The Flash is the Fastest Man Alive™, you shouldn't have to make up a dumb force to explain how he's not insane, but now you have people trying to apply real-world physics to how a human can run so quickly and not burn his skin off or whatever, and the answer is just shut up and enjoy it.

(this comment isn't a slam on you Cornwind Evil, just a general sort of venting about various poo poo youtube keeps feeding me about how various superheroes are unrealistic. It is a minor annoyance when reading Big Two comics how wildly heroes' power levels can differ in between books)

The thing is, kids were asking those questions going right back to the 1950's and silver age books were packed with details on this stuff worked. Why doesn't the Flash burn up when he runs that fast? Well, he has an aura that protects him from the effects of the speed. Why doesn't Superman's clothes burn up? Well, it's made from his Kryptonian baby blanket that Ma Kent unwound slowly and re-weaved. Hey kids, here's Steve Ditko's cutaway drawing of how Spider-Man's web shooters work. None of the explanations made any sense, either, of course, but there's always been a subset of fans out there who are really into finding out the hows and whys of their favorite superheroes.