Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

Explopyro posted:

Depending on how the game's dialogue is formatted, you might also be able to expedite transcribing it with OCR software? I looked into this a bit before deciding it wasn't for me (it wouldn't save me any time in my current workflow), so I can't give advice on specific tools or how to use them, but it might be a decent middle ground?

I used a couple of free OCR sites for my Freelancer LP and they were okayish for the most part. Unless there was a slight variation in background colour/hue, which was all the time as the text window was transparent, which made half of the text looked like the cthulu mythos.

Is there a specific folder or file for game text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Arist posted:

Confession: I transcribe everything by hand.

Same. It wouldn't be an LP without the weird masochistic suffering.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

PurpleXVI posted:

When LP'ing games that work better as hybrid or SSLP games, and which are also text-heavy, it can be nice to have a script dump of some sort so I don't have to screenshot(or worse yet transcribe), every line of descriptive text and dialogue. I know sometimes people seem to just magically produce script dumps even for games I never expected would have them(like Albion, that was a shock AND very helpful), but is there any sort of central database for them or is it just kind of a crapshoot whether anyone's made one and posted it somewhere public?

In particular I'm currently looking for ones for Betrayal In Antara and Return to Krondor, and as far as I can tell I haven't been able to find any.
I think I mentioned cut2paste capture2text in the BaK LP? It mostly works if the game isn't doing anything funny with the font and background, but saves a lot of time when it does.

As to finding transcriptions? This is a bit obvious, but I'd just transcribe a line or two from the game intro, put quotes around it, and hit "verbatim", because google sucks rear end. If that produces no results, you're probably out of luck. Too many - try another line.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Capture2Text is so finicky and produces so many errors, that for most games it actually is a whole hell of a lot slower than manually transcribing the text yourself. The most recent game I tried it on, Final Fantasy XIV, it was for some reason introducing invisible carriage return characters after the letter "F". Every F. They weren't showing up on the output, but the second I copied the text and pasted it into Notepad++, every F was followed by the rest of the word on a new line.

Fixing those errors takes a lot of time and slows the update process down a lot. If you had a straight text rip you can just copy and paste and have an entire monologue formatted in less than 20 seconds. But if you have to fix errors, that same monologue can take more than 20 minutes to fix. And that's if the game has relatively clear text. If ?v?ry ?th?r c?ar?cte? i? a q??stio? ??rk or some weird extended ASCII bullshit then at that point you're much better off just manually transcribing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if you spend like an hour learning the absolute basics of programming you can write very small scripts very quickly to take care of consistent errors like "F always followed by newline" in a text file. but if there are any inconsistent errors you're probably better off with manual transcription

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I'm having limited success with opening up some of the .t3d files* in Notepad++, and I do mean limited. This is the most I've been able to find.

quote:

A Royal Courier appears, bearing a message from His Highness.
It seems that the Prince's patience is at an end, and that the Crown has decided to find less demanding missions for James and Jazhara.
In other words, their services to Krondor are no longer required.
"Stay away from my chickens!" the half-crazed old man demands. "They're mine!"
James lifts his hands and steps back. "We mean your chickens no harm."
"That's what they all say!" the old man squeals. "But then they take my chickens. I used to have eight. Now count 'em. Stolen! Almost all of them stolen!"
"I think we should leave," Jazhara suggests. "Now."
"I'm inclined to agree," James replies, moving toward the door.
James searches the drawers under Kendaric's bed and finds only some fancy knick-knacks. Upon closer examination of one of these, however..."Good day, Squire James, Jazhara. As you can see, repairs to the jail are progressing nicely."
Garruth turns to bark at one of the workers who had stopped to take a break.This shop won't be open until morning.
O - Thank you for meeting with me and accepting this work. I hope you truly appreciate the importance of the information you are to gain for me as well as the frailty of the Master's heart. Be gentle when you need to be. I will meet you two nights hence, after the guard has had time to make their inquiries into the Guildmaster's death.. - J -
O - I am amazed at the ineptitude of you and your men's handiwork! Not only did you manage to kill the old man well before he told you the information I need, but you have successfully alerted Kendaric to the plot. Thankfully, I am here to cover the questions raised by the moronic guardsmen, but I am holding you responsible for finding Kendaric and/or the spell he has created. I will expect this for no addition fee. - J -
"Orin, As per your request, I am sending in one of Sidi's necromancers to assist you. I believe this magus can conjure up something that will solve all of your problems. However, when you find the spell, under no circumstances are you to return this to the guildsman. You are to keep it safe until I am able to return to the city for it. Whatever the Guildsman is offering, rest assured, I can offer you more. - C -*"

James notices several notes on the desk - "Journeyman Kendaric, Please remit the balance of your debt within a fortnight, or I will come to your home with the city guard and burn those Keshian silks as you wear them! Alshar Kazred"
"Kendaric, You know I've always felt your master was a brother to me, and he always considered you as his own son. Don't force me to take any actions we might regret later. Pay me what you owe me in ten days or there will be a reckoning between us. Phillip Aldus"
"Kendaric, Pay up or we break your legs. Salvador"
"Dear Kendaric, It is time again to ask of the payments you promised. While I understand the depth of the financial crisis you are in, I felt you and I could set aside some time to discuss this. Would the same place as last time be acceptable? Morraine"
James considers opening the door but decides against it when he sees a mark scratched into the wood.
"Let's move on," he suggests. "We'd best avoid this place."
"What makes you say that" Jazhara asks.
"Trust me," James grins, turning away from the door.

James and Jazhara follow the thugs through the labyrinthine sewers from a safe distance. Eventually, the thugs come to a dead end. One of them mumbles a few incoherent words, and a secret passage opens before them.
After the ex-thief handily defeated the trapped drawer, they discovered the following note: "J-, You've made the right decision in coming to us with your plans. We've received the gold you promised. Show the bartender this letter and you'll find him very cooperative. The fine details and future paymetns will be dealt with by my people, who will be waiting for you there at the Dog O-"
A note is found among the interlopers' effects: "J-, I understand that you have some business for me and my associates. I hope you understand the implications of what you are requesting and I hope that you will be more circumspect about making any further arrangements. You may find me at the Ye Bitten Dog tavern. O-"
Duffing the trap in a most uncharacteristic fashion, ex-thief James not only injures himself and Jazhara, but also destroys the contents of the drawer, leaving nothing but smoldering parchment and wounded pride for his efforts.The old sailor lays dead on the pavement, a single dagger wound to his chest the apparent cause of death.James and Jazhara are shocked to find Old Thom dead, one clean dagger wound through his heart."Squire James ... our thanks once again for your heroism. Soon we will have our orphanage rebuilt, better than ever, all thanks to the graciousness of the Prince."
Having no progress to report to the Prince, James thinks better of disturbing Arutha."The priests of Prandur live here," James notes. "I dare not risk the wrath of their god by disturbing this house.""These are the servant quarters," James says. "The servants are all at the palace, right now."
"These are mostly servant quarters," James explains. "If we disturb them in the middle of the night, they'll likely wake in a sour mood."
Ancient monument.

James and Jazhara discover an open, empty drawer. Given the remains of a complicated magical lock, whatever was inside must have been valuable."We received reports of strange sounds coming from this place, and were sent to check it out. When we got here, we were jumped by these two," the sergeant motions towards the two bodies on the floor, "and one other. I know the other was Lucky Pete, but the son of a troll managed to get away."
"This place is a den for Nighthawks," James says. Immediately, the sergeant glances down at the body, a nervous look on his face. "Given the troubles we had the last time, I think it's prudent you collect the bodies ... and burn them." The sergeant is shouting orders to his men before James even finishes speaking.

Edit: *In the Return To Krondor folder.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 15, 2021

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Arist posted:

Same

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah it very much depends on the game. Some have scripts out there, and others will probably have to have the script extracted from the game data, and even that may not be easy to pull off depending on how the game files are formatted.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You wont have to transcribe the dialogue if you write your own fiction

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arist posted:

haven't you LP'd persona 5 like 3 times???

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Acerbatus posted:

haven't you LP'd persona 5 like 3 times???

:shepicide:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Leal posted:

You wont have to transcribe the dialogue if you write your own fiction

:hmmyes:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Of my two LPs, MMX Command Mission flip flopped between perfectly fine and utter hell with C2T, as normal text boxes worked fine, but cutscene subtitles loved to go above the black bar and into the scene itself.

Fate/Extra, meanwhile, needed me to mod in a higher quality font for it to work at all. It works 95% of the time afterwords, but it likes to mix up m and n on words with two m's, l's tend to get a space before or after them, and j's occasionally get read as J'. (so Shinji become ShinJ'i)

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
i also transcribe by hand which is half the reason i decided not to transcribe laxius because it's just not worth it most of the time and the stuff that is worth it, you'd want to see in a screenshot to confirm it is real.

also i was never taught to touch type and just do it with two fingers really really quickly

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Fleshwit posted:

also i was never taught to touch type and just do it with two fingers really really quickly

Grandma typers gang. Why learn to do something efficiently when you can do it badly but also really fast?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Fleshwit posted:

:hfive:

I'm not quite that bad about it, but I also do not type "properly". A teacher in college tried to teach us touch typing, but I've improved my typing style to be very fast and eventually she just gave up on me under the idea of "Whatever works for you, as long as the results are the same."

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 16, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I annoyed one of the translators until they gave me the full text files as they were implemented in the code, and from there I've been cutting out the bits that are code-related as I go.

Saves a lot of time vs transcription, but dear god there's so much paring down. :shepface:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

You can always try text to speech, bonus points for applying outrageous accents for each character and not editing the text a single time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The pain of transcribing has killed like two or three of my LPs dead and nearly took Inuyasha down as well

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
the first game i SSLP'd ended up being waaaaaaaaay longer than i thought it would, and it was niche enough that one couldn't find a script dump for it anywhere on the internet at the time i was doing it

but i just pushed through it anyway because i was underemployed/unemployed at the time and had much more spare time so :confuoot:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Psycho Knight posted:

It wouldn't be an LP without the weird masochistic suffering.

This

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

the first game i SSLP'd ended up being waaaaaaaaay longer than i thought it would, and it was niche enough that one couldn't find a script dump for it anywhere on the internet at the time i was doing it

but i just pushed through it anyway because i was underemployed/unemployed at the time and had much more spare time so :confuoot:

I made screenshots of dialogue boxes and edited them together, I was very pleased with the way it turned out.

I think I would've gone mad otherwise since the LP ended up being extremely long.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 19, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Vichan posted:

I made screenshots of dialogue boxes and edited them together, I was very pleased with the way it turned out.

I think I would've gone mad otherwise since the LP ended up being extremely long.

the idea of having to transcribe sandrah fills me with dread on an existential level

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I've been doing everything by hand but my WPM typing speed is in the triple digits so it's literally more efficient for me to do so :shepface:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mix. posted:

I've been doing everything by hand but my WPM typing speed is in the triple digits so it's literally more efficient for me to do so :shepface:

Tbh it wasn't the typing speed that made me hesitant, it was making sure that every spelling/grammar mistake was transcribed correctly. It was an impossible task right from the get-go.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Its been a long time since anyone played FFV, and the pixel remaster seems like a good occasion to fix that issue

OP - I've played this enough I've developed a Nakk for it. Let's Play Final Fantasy V
Part 1 In hindsight I should probably have made this update a little meteor.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:justpost:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Looks good. Personally, i think having a blank line between screenshots/portraits/commentary is nicer and more readable, but that's just an opinion, not a technical problem or anything.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
DoubleE: You know what, gently caress it. I could probably use this thread's advice anyway.

I didn't see any holistic screenshot LP guides in the OP of the Tech Support Fort thread and it decided to adapt an old post of mine laying out my workflow into a generalized first-timer's guide, because that sounds like a quick and easy job that won't cause me any stress or frustration. I'm 6K words in and it's a loving mess, so I decided to pull back and try and build a table of contents covering the highlights so I know what to tackle and in what order. As it stands, I'm looking at two sections with a bunch of subheadings:

PREPARATIONS
  • General Advice (includes maintaining motivation, gimmick selection, and dealing with burnout)
  • The OP(Includes thread rules and spoiler policies)
  • Transcripts (includes transcripts AND transcribing)
  • Image Hosting (links to the OP and says "go read the part where it talks about hosts")
  • Portraits (includes notes on banners)
  • Systems (includes both general notes on recording and my experience with Switch and PC, the two systems I use)
WORKFLOW
  • Recording (how to approach getting stuff down as you play, ending with a script without any BBCode)
  • Inserting Screenshots (both manually and using ShareX)
  • Inserting Portraits (both manually and using basic VBA)
  • Inserting Music Links (both manually and using basic VBA)
  • Posting (includes info on Test Poster for long updates and (possibly) thread maintenance)

Are there any big concepts (or smaller subheadings) I'm missing? I know I'm not quite there, I just haven't figured out what holes I need to plug. I'm assuming whoever reads it has already committed to doing a screenshot LP and selected a game, so I'm trying to keep the scope limited to going from a concept to a running LP. It also won't be definitive; I'm kind of a caveman terrified of foreign concepts like crap and basic programming, so I'm laying it out as a description of how to do the all this manually with extensive notes on where to find programs that can do things for you (plus some VBA presented as painlessly as possible). This isn't supposed to be a full strategy guide as much as a reference document that lays out the basics and gives you the vocabulary you need to ask the Fort for help with specifics.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 31, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Welcome to the new year lp goons we survived 20201

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Leal posted:

Welcome to the new year lp goons we survived 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

Welcome to the new year lp goons we survived 2020

gently caress YOU, IT'S JANUARY

Also gently caress YOU, IT'S ACE COMBAT 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdOMXE0qIvc

...like at noon, I mean, but still.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

those chapter titles

I feel a sudden craving for an emote of hitting someone upside the head with a giant paper fan.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Falconier111 posted:

Are there any big concepts (or smaller subheadings) I'm missing? I know I'm not quite there, I just haven't figured out what holes I need to plug. I'm assuming whoever reads it has already committed to doing a screenshot LP and selected a game, so I'm trying to keep the scope limited to going from a concept to a running LP.

I meant to reply to this earlier. I think you might want to include a section on animated GIFs: a lot of people like including those in their SSLPs, and some games are hard to show off well in SSLP format without including at least a couple.

There are some existing guides on this in the Tech Support thread but, honestly, they're pretty old and, while I found them helpful for cobbling together my own methodology, I had to do a lot of work to get from them to something I was comfortable with. If you want, I can try to put together this subsection for you when I find the time to do it (I know you personally don't do animated GIFs in your LPs).

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Explopyro posted:

I meant to reply to this earlier. I think you might want to include a section on animated GIFs: a lot of people like including those in their SSLPs, and some games are hard to show off well in SSLP format without including at least a couple.

There are some existing guides on this in the Tech Support thread but, honestly, they're pretty old and, while I found them helpful for cobbling together my own methodology, I had to do a lot of work to get from them to something I was comfortable with. If you want, I can try to put together this subsection for you when I find the time to do it (I know you personally don't do animated GIFs in your LPs).

gently caress man, I’m not gonna complain. There’s no set time limit on me assembling this guide either, so take your time.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Can you guys read this OK? Got a bunch of complaints in the Encased thread about prior images.

Also I prefer to transcribe the text as it forces me to actually read it in its entirety.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That seems readable. A better font would help at that size but that's probably out of your control.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have to squint. Is there a larger text size option?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Can you guys read this OK? Got a bunch of complaints in the Encased thread about prior images.

Also I prefer to transcribe the text as it forces me to actually read it in its entirety.

Yeah that looks a lot more readable on my end. I can at least see the dialogue without zooming in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Quackles posted:

I have to squint. Is there a larger text size option?

No. Developers have posted that they're planning to implement that feature, but this is the game at lowest resolution unfortunately.

I'll still be transcribing a fair bit and providing summaries per usual.