Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Always carry wet wipes for double duty. And I got in the habit of having a little bottle of liquid soap because you won the loving lottery if you find soap in a bathroom in China. Don't even get to jerk off the soap like in Korea.

actually since the pandemic hit theyre v good at having soap or at least hand sanitizer in every bathroom. i don't remember being in a bathroom anywhere since Jan 2020 that didn't have any.

also ive never seen those paid toilet paper dispensers anywhere in shanghai but shanghai is weird in a lot of ways so thats probably why.

Grand Fromage posted:

Like a lot of things in China, it's too late to avoid the problem but maybe they can shorten it if they start now? I guess if your choices are try to fix it too late or don't try to fix it at all, might as well try.

A bunch of my Chinese friends outside China are paying ridiculous amounts of money to get Sinopharm vaccine boosters instead of the free and vastly superior Pfizer/Moderna ones, just saw a couple posts about it today. Nationalism: not even once.

lol i wonder what causes this. all my friends here were waiting ages for fosun to start distributing pfizer (still haven't started afaict) and most gave up and just settled for a domestic vaxx cuz it is better than nothing. literally know 0 people who trusted the vaccines, but instead of thinking they were full of 5g nanomachines it was "they're new and untested and also seem to kinda suck and you cant travel anyway".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nice that soap exists now, wonder if that will stick. I did kind of appreciate the honesty. In Korea every bathroom had a soap dispenser, but it was fairly rare for there to be any soap in them. In China there wasn't even the pretense of the empty dispenser, nobody's washing their hands.

The vaxxes I dunno, maybe doubling down because you live abroad? I know someone who paid $600 to get a Sinopharm from a sketchy doctor (not sure it's even approved for use where she lives) because it's Chinese. Foreign vaccines won't work with Chinese biology, you see.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Nice that soap exists now, wonder if that will stick. I did kind of appreciate the honesty. In Korea every bathroom had a soap dispenser, but it was fairly rare for there to be any soap in them. In China there wasn't even the pretense of the empty dispenser, nobody's washing their hands.

The vaxxes I dunno, maybe doubling down because you live abroad? I know someone who paid $600 to get a Sinopharm from a sketchy doctor (not sure it's even approved for use where she lives) because it's Chinese. Foreign vaccines won't work with Chinese biology, you see.

You could make a mint as a doctor selling whatever non-Chinese vaccine to Chinese people as Chinese, is what I'm hearing.

Now, I only need a doctorate.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

It's probably the same everywhere in the world, but the hand sanitizer has so much variance from place to place that you're way better off taking your own. Sometimes it dispenses a microdot, sometimes a Peter North rope. Sometimes it's some sort of sticky gorilla glue resin, sometimes some sort of breakthrough in everlasting intimate superlube.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You could make a mint as a doctor selling whatever non-Chinese vaccine to Chinese people as Chinese, is what I'm hearing.

I mean, if you're going to commit fraud anyway, might as well just fake the doctorate part, too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Smeef posted:

I mean, if you're going to commit fraud anyway, might as well just fake the doctorate part, too.

But I want to give them a vaccine, too. I'm not planning on a million-dollar scheme just for my own gain, that would be immoral!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Nothing that can't be solved by a trip to Kinko's. The kind of person who drops six hundo to ensure the jab is Chinese, is also the same person who will believe your medical opinion if you have a fancy piece of paper that says Harvard on it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

make your own vaccine just diy it how hard can it be?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BrainDance posted:

make your own vaccine just diy it how hard can it be?

It's really hard to find proper devil's poo poo drops, especially since I don't know what they are. But I know I can't make medicine without devil's poo poo drops.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
every 4th of june we should make chicken sandwiches to celebrate nothing, oh and our fallen goon friends too i guess

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
The Sinovac virus is not effective at all against Omnicron.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3159784/omicron-chinas-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine-fails-antibodies-test

South China Morning Post posted:

The Covid-19 vaccine by Sinovac Biotech is not able to produce adequate antibodies to neutralise the highly mutated coronavirus strain Omicron, according to new research from the University of Hong Kong.

Both the Sinovac vaccine and another by Pfizer-BioNTech produced “inadequate” antibody responses to the variant, scientists said in a statement Tuesday night.

Of 25 people who received a full course of CoronaVac, none were found to have detectable levels of virus-fighting antibodies, according to study author and top infectious disease expert Yuen Kwok-yung and his team.

For those fully vaccinated with Pfizer-BioNTech, five out of 25 people had detectable levels. But those levels were 35 to 40 times lower than against the original coronavirus strain, and saw “significant” reduction as compared to response to previous variants Beta and Delta.

They just found the first case of Omnicron in Guangzhou; a Polish man who did the long rear end quarantine anyway.

Haha, we're so hosed.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Forceholy posted:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3159784/omicron-chinas-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine-fails-antibodies-test

They just found the first case of Omnicron in Guangzhou; a Polish man who did the long rear end quarantine anyway.

Haha, we're so hosed.

He didn't just test positive after 14 days of quarantine. He also flew from Shanghai to Guangzhou before testing positive. Apparently 10,000 people who encountered him have been tested, so far none popping positive. That's a helluva track and trace system.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Forceholy posted:

Haha, we're so hosed.

i mean the mrna vaccines that were better to begin with are also way less effective against omicron so this is kinda expected. p much all the current vaccines are kinda less good (AZ seems about as equally hosed as the Chinese and other non-mRNA ones), but the mrna ones can at least be updated p fast.

Smeef posted:

He didn't just test positive after 14 days of quarantine. He also flew from Shanghai to Guangzhou before testing positive. Apparently 10,000 people who encountered him have been tested, so far none popping positive. That's a helluva track and trace system.

its very in depth. i know a number of people who have had to go to quarantine hotels cuz they were in close contact to a confirmed case over the past few months. i recently flew and bought covid insurance so if someone on my flights ends up being a case and I have to quarantine, they'll pay up to like 500USD a day for my hotel.

afaik if you travel by plane/train you sorta take the risk and have to pay for quarantine hotels if you end up getting marked as a close contact, but if you just are living your life the local gov foots the bill. like everything thats probably regional, however.

traveling itself is also very region specific wrt how they deal. some places require 1-2 tests taken before you can get on a train/flight and test you as soon as you arrive, some p much dont care as long as your health codes are green.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 15, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Booty Pageant posted:

every 4th of june we should make chicken sandwiches to celebrate nothing, oh and our fallen goon friends too i guess

Speaking of 4th June, China is continuing it's policy of Nothing At All Happened on that day and if you say otherwise will throw you in prison.

Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai was just sentenced to 13 months in prison for attending a remembrance vigil a few months ago.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Forceholy posted:

Haha, we're so hosed.

If there's any place that can stop am Omnicron outbreak with minimal vaccine coverage, it's China. They'll do what's needed to stop it and if people get fatigued by restrictions they can pound sand.

Taiwan could probably do it too because people are good about following restrictions (we shut down Alpha with ~5% fully vaccinated or somewhat, though there were many more single-shot people) and doing contact tracing poo poo, but there'd potentially be some breaking point politically eventually.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Zhejiang is back under lockdown of some kind so they are gearing up for it, no doubt.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just checking that when people lament COVID-19 lockdowns in China itt, they are doing so from a position of familiarity and understanding with respect to what is happening in the west, right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

McGavin posted:

Just checking that when people lament COVID-19 lockdowns in China itt, they are doing so from a position of familiarity and understanding with respect to what is happening in the west, right?

By west you mean Taiwan right?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If China reinstitutes lockdown the by definition the trains won't run on time anymore :thunk:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

By west you mean Taiwan right?

The west is whatever you want it to be.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

McGavin posted:

no

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Chinathread: A Position of Familiarity and Understanding With Respect

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Speaking of which, did the Wuhan officials who pretended to everyone that Everything Was Fine until things got so bad they had to weld people into their apartment blocks and leave them to die ever get their comeuppance?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No because everything is and always has been fine.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chinathread: Whataboutism is mandatory and strictly enforced

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Alchenar posted:

Speaking of which, did the Wuhan officials who pretended to everyone that Everything Was Fine until things got so bad they had to weld people into their apartment blocks and leave them to die ever get their comeuppance?

No, but t he doctor who brought the new disease he found to their attention, and was told to shut up and do nothing about it.

He died. Of COVID. That he caught whilst trying to fight it/treat sufferers.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/doctor-who-warned-of-coronavirus-dies-in-china/11941948

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Strategic Tea posted:

If China reinstitutes lockdown the by definition the trains won't run on time anymore :thunk:

Well duh. It's 元首, not 墨索里尼

(please note I used Google translate for this and I assume no responsibility about how wrong this is)

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

But if there are no trains scheduled then you can't say they weren't on time. :smug:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Alchenar posted:

they all got removed from power and "punished", idk what exactly that is tho.

it was actually p big news how they sent people from shanghai to wuhan to take over in feb/march of 2020.

officials in zhejiang and jiangsu got similar treatment when lax screening protocol lead to their big outbreak a few months ago. i'm not sure if anyone's being blamed for the current outbreaks in shaoxing and ningbo and inner mongolia the same way. the outbreaks in yangzhou earlier this year were traced to one old lady who was using a screenshot of a green health code when she had a yellow or red one to travel and go to a huge mahjong parlor, creating a super spreader event.

since then they have someone check to see if you're using a screenshot in most places like airports/etc.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Ailumao posted:

they all got removed from power and "punished", idk what exactly that is tho.

it was actually p big news how they sent people from shanghai to wuhan to take over in feb/march of 2020.

Yeah, the central government typically doesn't have the pull to do that often.
I'm sure that they have a big list of "changes we'd like to make to local government staffing and policy", but realistically they know it's politically impossible.
However, when loving with things like covid, suddenly a lot of things happen very easily.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Is thread pro china or anti china? I feel like xie is the only even vaguely possible solution to climate induced human extinction?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they stepped the coal mining back up in response to the blackouts so no, lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

porfiria posted:

Is thread pro china or anti china? I feel like xie is the only even vaguely possible solution to climate induced human extinction?

:dafuq:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

porfiria posted:

No, because climate induced human extinction is a fantasy fear spread by doomsayers with no grasp of the actual impacts of climate change.

I've got more faith in China hitting it's net zero 2060 target than the USA hitting it's targets though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Yeah, I mean like 1/3 of chinese industry is state owned and they could like lock jack ma in a dark room for a few months, which would be unthinkable in the west. Not to say xi doesn’t have some incentives to destroy mankind, but it’s absolutely certain the free market will try to kill everyone, whereas there are conceivably some countervailing forces in china. Not saying there definitely are, just its conceivable. Nancy pelosi just said congress should be free to trade equities, for comparison.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

porfiria posted:

I'm not an expert here but the answer you are seeking is, yes, and no

with Chinese characteristics

ili
Jul 26, 2003

porfiria posted:

Lol.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Nothingtoseehere posted:

No, because climate induced human extinction is a fantasy fear spread by doomsayers with no grasp of the actual impacts of climate change.

I've got more faith in China hitting it's net zero 2060 target than the USA hitting it's targets though.

Ok, maybe we’ll lose two, three billion tops, im not saying we won’t get our hair mussed!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
oh wait no this is the 99 series china class

haha

you didn't graduate china high school

it's okay you can sit in

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

Im pro china(ese food)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

porfiria posted:

Yeah, I mean like 1/3 of chinese industry is state owned and they could like lock jack ma in a dark room for a few months, which would be unthinkable in the west. Not to say xi doesn’t have some incentives to destroy mankind, but it’s absolutely certain the free market will try to kill everyone, whereas there are conceivably some countervailing forces in china. Not saying there definitely are, just its conceivable. Nancy pelosi just said congress should be free to trade equities, for comparison.

go away until you stop posting like this