Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

NHS pressure is due to many factors but the root is largely that if you go into hospital with Covid, don't expect to come out for a month (if at all). Some of the big Nightingales might have not been needed, but there are many smaller overflow hospitals lurking on industrial estates around the country. our local one has had a few patients that have been there since the first lockdown. The NHS has been tuned by successive Tory governments (including Tonys) to just about fly through the winter surges with politically acceptable levels of olds dying. But now we have a constant 20-25% chunk taken up by Covid patients - the 'trough' of the seasonal wave is barely under NHS capacity, so this Christmas the overflow is going to kill elderly patients from lack of care for just the normal illnesses. And more money is not going to fix it, that will be going to pay for overpriced medical equipment from the 'Internal Marketplace' that has all mysteriously gone up by over inflation amounts. And Brexit has caused a significant proportion of staff to leave and not come back. And the bursary cuts have made Nursing a less desirable thing to study. And predatory private firms poach trained doctors and nurses, firm in the knowledge that the hospitals will have to hire them back at higher rates as there is no alternative.
Yes, a lockdown would do wonders for reducing the spread but it's pretty much political suicide now so expect everything else anyway. Its's a grim balancing act of political cost between measures that might help vs number of dead poor people, bearing in mind that compliant media will happily not report rising deaths in the 'other' columns atm.

<Snipe edit> ~60% of Covid deaths are unvaccinated (<7% of the population)

Edit2: Take 100 spherical Britons in a vacuum, 5 of which are unvaccinated, all of these develop serious symptoms. Then lets say 5% die out of this particular cohort. On average, 3 out of the 5 would be in the group of unvaccinated. The other 2 somewhere in the other 95% of the population. Chance of death = 60% vs. 2.1%.
That's the real difference, and how '% in ICU' can be used as a deeply misleading figure as to the effectiveness.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

On Crisp chat. I went to my work's socially distanced Christmas party which was a very odd affair, 15 of us all separated shouting across a room at each other.

The boss then sneakily let us back into the office for 15 minutes to raid our desks and I found I had 6 bags of (very out of date) Brannigans Roast Beef and Mustard still in my desk drawers!

We opened a pack and were munching with some beer when my producer who was looking quizzicaly at their phone yelled "STOP EATING!!!" as it turns out someone managed to sell a pack of 5 for £100 on ebay last year. People were horrified and insisted I put them on ebay instead of eating them!

But my crisps :(

I put one up for £10 min bid and we'll see if any weird rich tory crisp aficionado wants to buy them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm immediately invested in how much you can get for these stale crisps

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why is there a second hand crisp market? Is this a bigger bubble than crypto?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nom Fungible Taytos

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Borrovan posted:

lmao I literally just realised that my daughter is (just) entitled to Irish citizenship through her mother's side, which means if things go to poo poo over here before she's 18 I'm entitled to go live there

Eat poo poo UKailures

e: assuming things don't go to poo poo over there in the same timeframe anyway, I've not got the highest hopes for this whole "European project" thing tbqh

You should hurry before we start cracking down on Brexit refugee gangs living in their Little Britain slums all over the EU. Disgusting immigrant fish'n'chip shops and pubs everywhere, dreadful!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If you start saving €30,000 a year until she's 18 you might be able to afford a deposit near Dublin as well.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just got boosted (with Pfeizer). Although the guy didn't swab my arm before the stab, so now I'm paranoid I'm going to die of gangrene or something.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

is there a reason why the media are focusing on the shropshire by election with Tories vs Lib Dems angle, considering that last time labour came second with twice the votes of the dems

answers on a postcard i suppose

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jel Shaker posted:

is there a reason why the media are focusing on the shropshire by election with Tories vs Lib Dems angle, considering that last time labour came second with twice the votes of the dems

Because the media want the tories or lib dems to win

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Just got boosted (with Pfeizer). Although the guy didn't swab my arm before the stab, so now I'm paranoid I'm going to die of gangrene or something.

Unless you were rolling around in excrement beforehand it's fine.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's because our media class are all thick as pigshit libs hth.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Having looked into it this is actually pretty sweet, turns out my partner's automatically an Irish citizen without having to apply (news to her), just got to get a form sorted out for minivan & she gets all the good poo poo like free healthcare in the EU & access to Erasmus funding. Pretty bloody useful considering my parents live in France.

I foresee a lot of waiting around at customs alone whilst my family go chill in my future.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

On 'where did British transphobia come from', this article is worth a read.

A vague gesture towards possibly another contributing factor; Is there a real US equivalent of the strand of 20c UK popular culture based on straight cis men dressing up as women? Pantomime, Monty Python, Benny Hill, Mrs Brown’s Boys, Grayson Perry and so on are kind of a specific thing. Not drag, not an attempt at disguise; probably something to do with single-sex public schools. Just men wearing dresses, without adopting a different gender or sexual roles.

If so, I’ll could see that causing some transatlantic confusion, and maybe providing a opening for the actual fundie propaganda stuff.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm of Irish ancestry, but unfortunately further back than my grandparents. So now my only hope of automatic freedom from Plagueland is Scottish independence (my mum was born there). And I'm not remotely confident that even if the SNP won a crushing supermajority in Indyref 2, the Tories (or Labour, for that matter) would feel any urge to abide by the result.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Unfortunately there are simply not enough staff in the NHS. It takes time even you poach people from abroad and good luck getting the Tories to sign off on letting a battalion of Filipino nurses and Indian doctors in.

China could do what they did with their instant giant hospitals because they bussed in staff from the rest of the country.

The best we can do short of lockdown now is to mandate Covid/vaccine passes before entry into any enclosed public space like what they do in Asia. Hell they could even feed the private grift machine by having it enforced by Serco bouncers.

That's also a de facto 'murder all the homeless' strategy, which I'm sure the government will find deeply appealing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Endjinneer posted:

Some of these were just learning their trade on Bailey's campaign and they'll be around for a while. People on these hallowed forums have posted examples of information being released on left-wingers that suggested a systematic attempt to record their social media output that started before they were prominent. We need to respond in kind. Carve their names with malice.

Politwoops exists, and in the 2019 campaign some of us were in fact using it to research Tory candidates for dodgy tweets from their past. For all the good it did us...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Payndz posted:

And I'm not remotely confident that even if the SNP won a crushing supermajority in Indyref 2, the Tories (or Labour, for that matter) would feel any urge to abide by the result.

If it's a Catalan-style unilaterally declared referendum? Probably not, no. The unionists would just boycott it anyway. One agreed with the UK government? They'd not have much choice.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

Traditionally if a Tory flipped it would be to the Libs, rather than to Labour. That's fairly old school thinking these days.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

Gort posted:

Because the media want the tories or lib dems to win

While it's true that

keep punching joe posted:

our media class are all thick as pigshit libs
I don't think this is a media bias issue against Labour in the sense that you all seem to be implying. Labour appear to be briefing that they're not exactly trying very hard - I've seen the line (or something like it) repeated in several places that "rumours" or "suggestions" or "sources" say "[Labour] have deliberately not committed resources to winning the by-election under an agreement to give the Lib Dems a better chance of winning," which reads to me like Labour are downplaying expectations. Which is probably wise in strategy terms so that they story afterwards isn't about Labour not achieving what they wanted. The only time it wasn't a stonking Tory victory was 1997, and 2017 looks a lot like Labour did a great job of squeezing the non-Tory vote to virtually nothing while losing because a whole chunk of people were also galvanised against Labour (which is pretty much 2017election.txt as far as I can tell). Personally I'm not sure the Lib Dems are as an attractive a default alternative protest vote as they used to be, but by-elections are weird and if a big chunk of people stay home who knows what'll happen

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Payndz posted:

If they don't have time/resources to disinfect your skin then they probably don't have time/resources to change the needle between patients either. Pro tip: you should go early in the morning while the needle is still sharp and unbent.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Convex posted:

Also hope you're looking forward to cancer

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/16/experts-warn-over-post-brexit-uk-rule-changes-on-chemicals

Is the Republic of Ireland likely to still accept english refugees at this point?

I was already working with ''potential'' cancer causing chemicals for 20 years but it's nice that i escaped last year noentheless. :)

Borrovan posted:

lmao I literally just realised that my daughter is (just) entitled to Irish citizenship through her mother's side, which means if things go to poo poo over here before she's 18 I'm entitled to go live there

Eat poo poo UKailures

e: assuming things don't go to poo poo over there in the same timeframe anyway, I've not got the highest hopes for this whole "European project" thing tbqh

edit: I see you got a better outcome on a later post. :thumbsup:

Food related: I made paneer for the first time, without burning the milk, which is nice. Now it's getting squeezed to death under a heavy weight for three hours and then it's ready for consumption. :)

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 16, 2021

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

Traditionally if a Tory flipped it would be to the Libs, rather than to Labour. That's fairly old school thinking these days.

I'm still learning about UK geographical politics, but I think it makes more ideological sense for a rural Tory stronghold to flip to Lib Dem, even if they placed third previously.

zhar
May 3, 2019

I can't book a vaccine without also booking a followup, and they can't do the followup at the center 10 mins drive away but in birmingham over 90 mins drive away. gently caress that. you'd think they'd try not to discourage people

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

feedmegin posted:

If it's a Catalan-style unilaterally declared referendum? Probably not, no. The unionists would just boycott it anyway. One agreed with the UK government? They'd not have much choice.

I agree with that. There's also little incentive at this point for the UK government to agree one, since there's an extent to which the SNP have essentially defanged themselves, since they reject both revolution and abstentionism. The worst a Prime Minister is ever going to have to put up with is some angry shouting in the House of Commons and the First Minister scheduling press conferences a few hours earlier than the UK equivalent and those just aren't credible threats.

I think in the medium-term the only viable avenue the SNP can pursue is abstentionism. That might prove unpopular and lose them some votes, possibly, but it's the only way I see to actually show progress and commitment to the rank-and-file SNP membership if Westminster rejects a future call for another referendum. Calling a wildcat referendum will get boycotted for entirely obvious reasons to damage its legitimacy, so you'd need something which can act as a proxy for a referendum which the unionists can't boycott--if I were leading the SNP I think the only realistic option to achieve that would be a mass resignation* from parliament by SNP MPs, forcing 48 simultaneous by-elections and then running on a platform of abstentionism/independence. The unionist parties would be forced to fight these, and if the majority of Scotland's representation stops showing up to parliament that at least puts a dent in the legitimacy of the UK government.

Would the government care? Probably not if their attitude to Brexit is anything to go by, but it would at least serve to head off what I perceive to be some mounting pressure on the leadership from SNP supporters, particularly SNP members, to deliver some form of progress on the matter. If they stay the course, the way I see it, that pressure will build until it explodes and either replaces the leadership with more fundamentalist leaders or significantly collapses the party as voters lose interest in a process they can't effect any control over.

*blah blah appointment to office of the crown blah blah

Crayfish
May 7, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

It's not looking good re: transmission and vaccine escape, at all

Basically this thing is going to be a tsunami, and we better hope by some miracle that the virus is much, much less severe than Delta

:hmmyes:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

Labour appear to be briefing that they're not exactly trying very hard
https://twitter.com/llewcid/status/1306530293319446528

Just Another Lurker posted:

Food related: I made paneer for the first time, without burning the milk, which is nice. Now it's getting squeezed to death under a heavy weight for three hours and then it's ready for consumption. :)
Nice :)

What acid did you use? Iirc with lemon juice or vinegar it can work well as a replacement for chicken in curry.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

That's also a de facto 'murder all the homeless' strategy, which I'm sure the government will find deeply appealing.

Another reason for having biometric ID cards rather than IDs tied to an address.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Nice :)

What acid did you use? Iirc with lemon juice or vinegar it can work well as a replacement for chicken in curry.

Went with ordinary white vinegar, assuming a good outcome i'll play around with different flavours and additives... definitely going to do one with garlic for sure. Was thinking of lightly frying strips of this batch in seasoned flour.

As for curries i've made plaited seitan in the past and used that for a chicken like texture.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1471420502682083329

She's PPS to the Foreign Secretary

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My understanding (limited, admittedly) of the UK-Ireland treaty of (I think) 1957 is that UK and Irish citizens have the right to be treated as if they were citizens of the other country, if residing there*. This includes the right to reside. So if one wants to live in Ireland I don't think anything is stopping one.

*For example, as an Irish citizen but UK resident I get to vote in UK elections.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Anecdotally, I live literally a mile from the border of North Shropshire constituency so all my local social media feeds are centered around Market Drayton, which is in it. And people are getting righteously sick of the amount of campaigning from the Lib Dems in particular.

Frankly I’ll be amazed if the Tories lose. But hey, at least I got to spend a fun afternoon a few weeks ago bullying multiple candidates (refuk, libdem and Labour- labour’s guy in particular looks like he was stamped out of a press at a Young Labour facility, as did all his entourage.)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m considering a new and somewhat alarming proposition now which is that the current crop of Tories aren’t, as I had thought, fully aware of how the country works and exploiting it for the benefit of their class, they actually do not know how any of the machinery of government functions and are just guessing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m considering a new and somewhat alarming proposition now which is that the current crop of Tories aren’t, as I had thought, fully aware of how the country works and exploiting it for the benefit of their class, they actually do not know how any of the machinery of government functions and are just guessing.

Yeah that's been the case for years now. They're the fail sons and daughters of the original Thatcherites, who were vandals who also knew exactly what they were doing

Turns out 40 years of a country being marinated in a political ideology that explicitly denigrates government and governing, even as a concept, doesn't lead to switched-on, responsible, competent or informed leaders!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a bit like the 70s anti-tax and anti-regulation obsessives were saying "you can't stop people dumping benzene in the water because the regulations will actually have worse outcomes than the current problem" because they were aware that "you can't stop me dumping benzene in the water because that would cost me more money" made them sound like complete cunts, but they've now raised a generation where the style is the substance who honestly believe that if you regulate the water companies they'll leave and take all the water.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Camrath posted:

Anecdotally, I live literally a mile from the border of North Shropshire constituency so all my local social media feeds are centered around Market Drayton, which is in it. And people are getting righteously sick of the amount of campaigning from the Lib Dems in particular.

Frankly I’ll be amazed if the Tories lose. But hey, at least I got to spend a fun afternoon a few weeks ago bullying multiple candidates (refuk, libdem and Labour- labour’s guy in particular looks like he was stamped out of a press at a Young Labour facility, as did all his entourage.)

Looks like you made the right decision in cancelling your Christmas trip to France*.

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1471433063485878273?t=mzmAAs9gsa7a4WyxV8QhCQ&s=19

I have been in a similar dilemma. I booked flights to and from Scotland to bring my daughter over after Christmas. It would be her first time back in Ireland since the Pandemic began and it would let her meet her new sister in person.

But between Omicron and all the new restrictions being slowly brought in I think I'm going to have to take the decision to cancel the trip and try and reschedule it for next year. I don't want to have to do it, but the constant changing of rules means I don't want either of us to be stuck in quarantine or getting sick.
My decision has also been focused because I have started a new job, but I don't get any time off until the new year when my full alotments of holidays will appear. (Currently only have 0.5 days off because I started this week.)

So I understand the stress you went through.

* = That was you earlier in the thread talking about going to France as part of a Christmas visit to your family? Or do I have you mixed up with another poster.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Thank you to the people who provided serious answers to my grumpy rant :)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Last call for fudge orders!

Christmas looms ever closer, with the final posting day for 1st class being Monday. I’m also taking a little time off over the holiday as a reward for surviving a super-busy autumn. Therefore, I will be closing for orders on Sunday evening. Anyone who wants some delicious fudge for Christmas, make sure to get your orders in ASAP to avoid disappointment!

Current Stock

Milk Chocolate
Irish Cream
Whisky and Candied Ginger
Unicorn Barf
Black Forest Gateau
Mince Pie
Brandy Snap
(super limited supply!)
Veganilla
Vegan Cookies

Vegan flavours all have a short expiry period (end of the month) and thus have been discounted.

All stock is live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk now, and as always you can use the goon code ‘Roastbeefisbest’ to get 5-for-4 on all orders!

Have a fudging good Christmas!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Welp one of my housemates tested positive. Going to be a fun Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
BoE rate gone up to 0.25%. Merry loving Christmas!