Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Stereotype posted:

Reply All did a story about the feral hogs tweet, they found the guy and he is actually super chill. there is a legitimate feral hog problem in a lot of rural areas though. Like tens of thousands of animals that weigh hundreds of pounds who will absolutely gently caress you up if they feel trapped and threatened. They destroy crops and cause erosion and multiply exceptionally fast and are just insanely invasive animals. In the podcast they interviewed several serious smart sounding scientists and ecologists all saying that you couldn’t eradicate them if you tried. It’s actually a problem.

Yeah people have been trying to defund the police for a while now, but the infestation is too entrenched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I feel like if we brought the full might of the US Military Industrial Complex, we could wage a 20 year hellwar against feral hogs and have fewer deaths than Afghanistan.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

fool, have you learned nothing from the Emu War

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I'm far from a gun expert but is an assault rifle really what you want for hunting pigs anyway?

Surely you need a spear.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Karia posted:

I feel you there. But even outside of dysphoria poo poo being above average height sucks. I'm only 6'1" and I've never had an apartment where the countertops are tall enough. I'm sure my posture would be poo poo regardless, but having to slouch to cook dinner certainly doesn't help.
As a 6'1"er that spent a lot of time in the service industry I'd like to point out a "could be worse":

Standard 3-section bar sinks are so, so much worse

Always made sure to have good cushioning for my feet, but when you've got to bend down to a sink that tops out at barely above your knees you get used to stretching to compensate or you get hosed longterm

(that's just the worst example, but every bar sink I've had the displeasure of working with has been significantly below waist height)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Roblo posted:

I'm far from a gun expert but is an assault rifle really what you want for hunting pigs anyway?

Surely you need a spear.

That’s what got Bobby B..

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I am not a farmer nor am i 30-50 feral hogs but it feels like a big part of the problem is large scale mechanised agricultural practices that have eliminated all forms of natural balance and our ability to manage the land in a way that doesn't result in these sorts of failure cascades

Like "how can one person manage a thousand hectares of monoculture land by themself??" the problem seems to be in the question

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

boofhead posted:

I am not a farmer nor am i 30-50 feral hogs but it feels like a big part of the problem is large scale mechanised agricultural practices that have eliminated all forms of natural balance and our ability to manage the land in a way that doesn't result in these sorts of failure cascades

Like "how can one person manage a thousand hectares of monoculture land by themself??" the problem seems to be in the question

No. There wouldn't be and isn't a natural balance to them because they are a domesticated species that has gone feral and become invasive with its extreme adaptability and huge birthrate. These ecosystems don't have an equivalent that would allow them to deal with that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Atticus_1354 posted:

No. There wouldn't be and isn't a natural balance to them because they are a domesticated species that has gone feral and become invasive with its extreme adaptability and huge birthrate. These ecosystems don't have an equivalent that would allow them to deal with that.
More wolves and bears

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Splicer posted:

More wolves and bears

I'm definitely in favor of that plus more badgers and catamounts. But that wouldn't solve the problem.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

boofhead posted:

What I'm hearing here is that we need autonomous armed drones for farmers. :hmmyes:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

How is killing farmers going to help!?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mrpwase posted:

How is killing farmers going to help!?

Radical problems require radical solutions. No more questions.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

30-50 feral farmers

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I work out in a swamp in Florida and have passed by 30 wild hogs on the road to work. You see them as roadkill a lot just because there’s so many.

One mama hog will have 4-5 baby piglets trailing after her if the gators/hawks don’t get them. So far none of them have been aggressive or made me wish for a high capacity magazine rifle to walk from my car to the front door.

The little piglets are cute but my god there’s so many of them. They will just block the road too, they don’t give a gently caress.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Atticus_1354 posted:

Nah i was thinking more along the lines of restricting the conditions in which they breed without limit, so less monoculture, more general biodiversity and smaller allotments per farmer, which would make land and pest management easier/more nuanced. I'm not talking about like dumping a bunch of polar bears in there or whatever

It's more a reflection on modern large scale mechanised agriculture inevitably creating the conditions for large scale pest crises, which you can't solve by doubling down on large scale mechanised solutions, nor can you expect nature to fix itself when the context we've created is anything but natural

But if the options are "radically revisit the agricultural economy" and "killer drones" you can bet which one they're gonna pick

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

boofhead posted:

I'm not talking about like dumping a bunch of polar bears in there or whatever
Why not?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

boofhead posted:

Nah i was thinking more along the lines of restricting the conditions in which they breed without limit,

There's a lot of problems with modern agriculture, but that has nothing to do with why they are breeding like that. It's a problem even in areas with smaller farms and even no farms.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

boofhead posted:

Nah i was thinking more along the lines of restricting the conditions in which they breed without limit, so less monoculture, more general biodiversity and smaller allotments per farmer, which would make land and pest management easier/more nuanced. I'm not talking about like dumping a bunch of polar bears in there or whatever

It's more a reflection on modern large scale mechanised agriculture inevitably creating the conditions for large scale pest crises, which you can't solve by doubling down on large scale mechanised solutions, nor can you expect nature to fix itself when the context we've created is anything but natural

But if the options are "radically revisit the agricultural economy" and "killer drones" you can bet which one they're gonna pick
This isn't a new suggestion. It's not really born out by the dietary requirements of hogs vs situations they can reproduce in. We could pave the Midwest in the least edible woody naturally occurring plants with natural biodiversity and there would still be enough bark and roots for explosive hog growth. These are genetically engineered to eat literal garbage and produce babies.

Smaller allotments just means more farmers complaining about 30-50 feral hogs. We literally need to dump polar bears in.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The solution is simple, we just need to introduce wild Gauls to the environment. One small village ought to do it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/iximeow/status/1471341443071414273

https://twitter.com/adrierising/status/1471002928832040962

https://twitter.com/joshgondelman/status/1470900710384582665

https://twitter.com/EleanorMorton/status/1471210627532218371

https://twitter.com/wigu/status/1471150276291842059

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The one benefit of a wild hog infestation on your land is that you are generally encouraged to go, for lack of a better term, hog wild to get rid of them so long as the general public’s safety is ensured. So all the stupid high power stuff comes out along with the military cosplay armament as it’s the only time you can shoot them at stuff without having to worry about it being particularly efficient or sane.

Eg- A 300 mag rifle will kill the everloving gently caress out of a deer but can utterly ruin the meat/skin and more or less waste a slot/tag you have for the season. Hogs are always open season and you don’t particularly mind if your method of yeeting metal down range has the side effect of converting hog to aerosolized pork.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

fool, have you learned nothing from the Emu War

Send the emus after the hogs

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
New sharknado looking topical

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Neal! posted:

Send the emus after the hogs

are you nuts? that's how you end up with an emu-hog coalition

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like that you can look at this word without ever having seen it before and just know it used it to be "cat o' the mount[ain]."

"A vampire! Stay back!" *shows the sign of the Cross*
"Meh. You people have been doing that to me even before I was turned."

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Warbird posted:

The one benefit of a wild hog infestation on your land is that you are generally encouraged to go, for lack of a better term, hog wild to get rid of them so long as the general public’s safety is ensured. So all the stupid high power stuff comes out along with the military cosplay armament as it’s the only time you can shoot them at stuff without having to worry about it being particularly efficient or sane.

Eg- A 300 mag rifle will kill the everloving gently caress out of a deer but can utterly ruin the meat/skin and more or less waste a slot/tag you have for the season. Hogs are always open season and you don’t particularly mind if your method of yeeting metal down range has the side effect of converting hog to aerosolized pork.

I would absolutely pay 1k to shoot a fuckload of feral hogs with a machine gun from a helicopter.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

OPAONI posted:

I would absolutely pay 1k to shoot a fuckload of feral hogs with a machine gun from a helicopter.

Jack Merridew starts sweating uncontrollably and doesn't know why.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

IshmaelZarkov posted:

The greatest thing that ever happened to me was being able to build a house with counters, shelves, and doors big enough for me (6'5") to work at without crouching over. Everyone who comes to my house pauses at the door for a second to just marvel at it. Absolutely fantastic.

I'm 5 feet even and I just bought a house custom built by a tall person. The kitchen counters come up to my sternum and the bottom of the bathroom mirror starts at my forehead. My partner's tall so at least he gets to enjoy a showerhead that's actually above his head instead of next to it for a change.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

OPAONI posted:

Gonna make a spotify Playlist consisting of CCR. Springsteen, Mellencamp, etc. that's just titled "hog shootin music"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

OPAONI posted:

That is 100% a thing you can do but iirc you’re going to need to head down to Texas or our west somewhere to do so.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

zedprime posted:

enough bark and roots for explosive hog growth.

Hello new online dating profile text.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

non podhoretz (@crookedroads770) has vanished from twitter. A dark day.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Feliday Melody posted:

non podhoretz (@crookedroads770) has vanished from twitter. A dark day.

I saw a whole bunch of new posts and thought I'd come in to find a celebrity death or something. I... guess that counts?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bradenlamb/status/1346245375489880064

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYtQXtUMWvQ

It's a family tradition.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

canada is apparently having a similar problem except the hogs are hybrids that mate with local boars and adapted to the cold. so we're going to be facing a war on two fronts in the future

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Stexils posted:

canada is apparently having a similar problem except the hogs are hybrids that mate with local boars and adapted to the cold. so we're going to be facing a war on two fronts in the future

I originally read this as "mate with local bears" and :stonk:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

The greatest thing that ever happened to me was being able to build a house with counters, shelves, and doors big enough for me (6'5") to work at without crouching over. Everyone who comes to my house pauses at the door for a second to just marvel at it. Absolutely fantastic.
Yeah, the standard American countertop height was set when people were a lot shorter on average. Julia Child, praise be unto her, was 6'2" and her husband set up their home kitchen to accommodate that.

https://twitter.com/evilrooster/status/1471130908812062726

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The solution is simple, we just need to introduce wild Gauls to the environment. One small village ought to do it.

:perfect:

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Dec 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Pretty sure I recall that John Morgan Of Morgan & Morgan got so many duis he's never allowed to drive again, but now his Wikipedia is just about how he wants to legalize weed with Jimmy Buffet so I'm conflicted.

Not really, gently caress him and his commercials