Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Camrath posted:

Last call for fudge orders!

Christmas looms ever closer, with the final posting day for 1st class being Monday. I’m also taking a little time off over the holiday as a reward for surviving a super-busy autumn. Therefore, I will be closing for orders on Sunday evening. Anyone who wants some delicious fudge for Christmas, make sure to get your orders in ASAP to avoid disappointment!

Current Stock

Milk Chocolate
Irish Cream
Whisky and Candied Ginger
Unicorn Barf
Black Forest Gateau
Mince Pie
Brandy Snap
(super limited supply!)
Veganilla
Vegan Cookies

Vegan flavours all have a short expiry period (end of the month) and thus have been discounted.

All stock is live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk now, and as always you can use the goon code ‘Roastbeefisbest’ to get 5-for-4 on all orders!

Have a fudging good Christmas!

The Brandy Snap had already gone before I got my greedy fingers on the checkout button :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I already bought fudge as a present to someone, but now I've bought more fudge as a present for myself! :woop:

Speaking of which, I needed a nice box to put them in and it looked pretty good, so have you considered doing gift boxes?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would recommend trying to snap them up in bulk come boxing day and then you can do them for next crimbo at least.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I already bought fudge as a present to someone, but now I've bought more fudge as a present for myself! :woop:

Speaking of which, I needed a nice box to put them in and it looked pretty good, so have you considered doing gift boxes?

I actually did the favours for a wedding the other weekend, and it did look super pretty in fancy boxes!

It’s something I’m looking at for next year- obviously fancy packaging will result in a price increase (did the wedding at Mate’s Rates and only just broke even, which was educational), but it’s deffo something I’m going to move towards as an option.

And wow, that does look super fancy! I can’t express how proud it makes me seeing my product look so good!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

therattle posted:

My understanding (limited, admittedly) of the UK-Ireland treaty of (I think) 1957 is that UK and Irish citizens have the right to be treated as if they were citizens of the other country, if residing there*. This includes the right to reside. So if one wants to live in Ireland I don't think anything is stopping one.

*For example, as an Irish citizen but UK resident I get to vote in UK elections.
Can this be used to earn Irish citizenship for those that don't have Irish parents/grandparents, by sticking around long enough to earn it by naturalisation?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pablo Bluth posted:

Can this be used to earn Irish citizenship for those that don't have Irish parents/grandparents, by sticking around long enough to earn it by naturalisation?

I have no idea but probably.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Necrothatcher posted:

Welp one of my housemates tested positive. Going to be a fun Christmas.

poo poo dude, that sucks. Does this mean you've gotta isolate, or would you be in the clear with negative lateral flow or PCR?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

BoE rate gone up to 0.25%. Merry loving Christmas!

I'm going to be honest maybe it's because I don't have much money but I've never really noticed a change when interest rates change. What does this actually mean for the average consumer? Worse loans? Money in bank accounts becoming worth less?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

poo poo dude, that sucks. Does this mean you've gotta isolate, or would you be in the clear with negative lateral flow or PCR?

Tested negative on lateral flow, going for a PCR this afternoon. Might then move into my girlfriend's place until the New Year.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Perfect Element posted:

If it's omicron then mandatory isolation regardless of vaccination status, but I honestly don't know how up on the NHS is in terms of informing people that they're omicron positive

EDIT

Necrothatcher posted:

Tested negative on lateral flow, going for a PCR this afternoon. Might then move into my girlfriend's place until the New Year.

Good that you're getting the PCR. Did your flatmate get a PCR too, or are they/you just going by LFT?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I'm going to be honest maybe it's because I don't have much money but I've never really noticed a change when interest rates change. What does this actually mean for the average consumer? Worse loans? Money in bank accounts becoming worth less?
It's the inflation that makes money in accounts worth less (by purchasing power), the interest hike theoretically means that your savings account is earning gently caress all percent instead of gently caress you percent.

And worse loans.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Barry Foster posted:

If it's omicron then mandatory isolation regardless of vaccination status, but I honestly don't know how up on the NHS is in terms of informing people that they're omicron positive

EDIT

Good that you're getting the PCR. Did your flatmate get a PCR too, or are they/you just going by LFT?

I think that's changed again (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/) you now just need to do tests. But who knows, this stuff gets out of date so quickly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good thing my savings are already worth gently caress poo poo already. Also that I have not needed to take a loan................

.....yet

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

I think that's changed again (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/) you now just need to do tests. But who knows, this stuff gets out of date so quickly.

arrrgh, I really wish I was kept informed of this stuff (this is literally my job and even I didn't know that it's changed again)

Given the longer incubation time for omicron, how infectious it is, the numbers we already have, and the fact that vaccines are even less sterilising with it than even Delta, this seems like a terrible plan on the part of the government

but what do I know

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 16, 2021

haakman
May 5, 2011
Our vet came round last week and I had a call the day after that she tested positive. I've done a test every day and have been unintentionally isolating (ff14 queue times are low during the day...) - should I be formally isolating?

It's hard because every fibre of my being tells me not to listen to these shower of cunts after their actions killed ma dad.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

haakman posted:

Our vet came round last week and I had a call the day after that she tested positive. I've done a test every day and have been unintentionally isolating (ff14 queue times are low during the day...) - should I be formally isolating?

It's hard because every fibre of my being tells me not to listen to these shower of cunts after their actions killed ma dad.

if I were in your position I would certainly not be going out if at all possible, but that's just me.

Formally/legally speaking, you don't need to be isolating if you're "fully" vaccinated (2 doses)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think you have to live there for 5 or 9 years, i've heard both numbers being cited depending on circumstances.

I don't know if spending that amount of time here in Northern Ireland would be applicable or not.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Tesseraction posted:

Gonna be great collecting that sweet sweet interest on savings.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

The effects will be dominated by mortgage payments. Anyone on a mortgage that isn't fixed rate won't have to wait long for their lender to increase their payments and most people owe more on a mortgage than they will have in an account. (Plus for savers, banks love to ignore rate rises but jump on decreases). The BoE will want to increase the rate to help control inflation but they'll be poo poo scared of causing the housing pyramid scheme to collapse...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

I think you have to live there for 5 or 9 years, i've heard both numbers being cited depending on circumstances.

I don't know if spending that amount of time here in Northern Ireland would be applicable or not.

5 years, based on my American missus.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

Dear Customer,

Due to the BoE increasing the standard interest rate by 0.15%, we have increased your mortgage rate by 0.25%. We may considering increasing your saving interest by 0.01% in six months but probably not.

Yours Faithfully,
Banker

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
So your telling me that if I move to Ireland then in five years time I can stop being British?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I remember back when there were actual interest rates and if you had a even small amount of money in a savings account you could get money appear out of nowhere at the end of the bank year and could feel like loving stonks guy buying Super Mario Land with magic tree money.

I assume there was the other side of that coin for lending but there weren't student loans nor the amount of unsecured consumer debt (and also I was young enough to not notice and so can paint it as a golden era in hindsight like all the ukip cunts do with the age when blackface weren't racist.)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Haha someone at work has tested positive today, the day of the Christmas party, where we were intending to cram 40+ people into a tiny restaurant. Not going to trust everyone else’s lateral flows enough to risk that, thanks

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

They're going by LFT, but they were about to head to France anyway so have the PCR test to do so should have a result on that soon.

I think the chance of a false positive on LFT is pretty low though right?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

They're going by LFT, but they were about to head to France anyway so have the PCR test to do so should have a result on that soon.

I think the chance of a false positive on LFT is pretty low though right?

It is, but there's no way to know if it's Omi or not via LFT, that's more what I was thinking in terms of direct consequences to you

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

So your telling me that if I move to Ireland then in five years time I can stop being British?

Giving up British citizenship is a whole other process. Though in 5 years' time PM Priti Patel will probably do it for you for anyone posting in this thread.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

God it ruled when I was a kid & I'd go to the bank with my bank book & they'd fill it in & despite having done nothing I HAD MORE MONEY. It was magical.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Food: the paneer turned out very crumbly and almost without flavour (slight hint of cottage cheese) so i need to work on my technique for a more solid product but happy to make something edible.

Tastes nice in a bun with salt & black pepper. :-)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

haakman posted:

Our vet came round last week and I had a call the day after that she tested positive.
Not 100% on what the rules are myself but I'm pretty sure this means she suspected she might have Covid & just came round your house anyway

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Food: the paneer turned out very crumbly and almost without flavour (slight hint of cottage cheese) so i need to work on my technique for a more solid product but happy to make something edible.

Tastes nice in a bun with salt & black pepper. :-)

Paneer is generally pretty flavourless, goes good in curries and spinach though

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Not 100% on what the rules are myself but I'm pretty sure this means she suspected she might have Covid & just came round your house anyway

possibly, but asymptomatic infections are a thing

I speak to a lot of people who are shocked to discover they're positive on routine LFTs.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

feedmegin posted:

Giving up British citizenship is a whole other process. Though in 5 years' time PM Priti Patel will probably do it for you for anyone posting in this thread.

Giving it up for Irish would be kind of win/win though. Still retain all the rights of the UK with none of the being-British :v:

Related, one thing I didn't realise at the time when Shamima Begum was in the news: they'd already changed the law so that stripping someone's UK citizenship "didn't count" as making them stateless, so long as they "could" in theory apply for another citizenship. So the people saying "she's Bangladeshi" were wrong, but the UK had changed the rules anyway. Presumably on the basis that other countries are too stupid to put "are you a member of Isis y/n" on their citizenship application forms.

Good to know that when my parents did a thing post-Brexit, making me eligible for another nationality by default, that this changed my relationship with the British state without me having to do anything!

Latitude Ocotpus
Nov 17, 2009
Just had someone test positive at my work and we have emergency been sent to wfh. Everyone is convinced Mark Drayford is going to announce stricter restrictions tomorrow to get ahead of the Tories.
Looks like it's wfh till Christmas for me 🥳 I was worried about catching it in that plague pit (no masks anymore besides me and the other office girl no hand sanitizer only three of us in the office taking our temp daily ) and missing my nieces first Christmas.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A while back I wondered how many citizenships you could pick up if you dedicated yourself to it, but assuming no convenient grandparents or marriages letting you get on a fast track to naturalisation. As far as I recall, Poland is the EU state with the easiest standard route for naturalisation, requiring only three years permanent residence. Downside is you also have to speak Polish.

Other possibilities: if you have a couple €100k spare you can buy a Maltese passport through their citizenship by investment scheme, you could take a Master's degree in France to be eligible for naturalisation after only two years, or in several countries if you provide some exceptional service to the state the monarch/president can grant you citizenship on the spot.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

Nah, I got pinged by the app at 2 o'clock on Sunday, got PCRed at 5 that day, and had my result by 7am Monday morning. Also I'd assume anyone regularly visiting other people would have the sense to be regularly LFTing.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can you still become French by joining the Legion?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

A while back I wondered how many citizenships you could pick up if you dedicated yourself to it, but assuming no convenient grandparents or marriages letting you get on a fast track to naturalisation. As far as I recall, Poland is the EU state with the easiest standard route for naturalisation, requiring only three years permanent residence. Downside is you also have to speak Polish.

Other possibilities: if you have a couple €100k spare you can buy a Maltese passport through their citizenship by investment scheme, you could take a Master's degree in France to be eligible for naturalisation after only two years, or in several countries if you provide some exceptional service to the state the monarch/president can grant you citizenship on the spot.

I wouldn't call it *easy*, but IIRC 3 years of service in the French Foreign Legion, or being invalided out due to enemy action within that 3 years, is sufficient for French citizenship.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

drat I know like 10-15 people that have tested positive today. poo poo's bonkers.

Barry you were right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Of course Barry was right, gov has spent 2 years now absolutely half arsing their pandemic response. It's going to get real grim in a week or two. Stay safe peeps.