Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

munce posted:

https://twitter.com/Roolockwood/status/1395595298559315971
"Economists have made-up their own numbers on climate change" based on a "crazy-bad assumption" says Australian economist @ProfSteveKeen
And if they are wrong, "we are screwed."

i can’t view this. why bother geo blocking something on twitter, of all places? especially a news segment? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Xaris posted:

counterpoint: you're lucky enough experiencing a literal once in an entire species lifespan event. a geological lifespan event even condensed to mere mortal generation. think of how many irish mud farmers gave birth and died for several hundreds of years without much happening.

it's honestly incredible, just insanely fascinating at so many levels. like you're inside the Sistine chapel and it's on fire, and sure the doors are locked, but hot drat the color of the flames as it ripples through the ceiling is incredible revealing all the Michelangelo layering

yeah, this is the final stage of crack ping. like, it's that old 'may you live in interesting times' thing, but on crack.

we live in the most interesting times, ever. it's the loving end of history! there's never been a better time to be alive and awake. if you're strong enough to stare the horror of the real in the face, then you are treated to a perspective that no entity has ever had before.

we're collectively powerful enough to wipe out an entire biosphere, and individually we have never been more helpless. we get to watch an apocalypse, through an apocalypse, while being an apocalypse.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

The problem (articulated well by evilweasel)

lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cabbages and Kings posted:

In the science fiction book "The Ministry of the Future", the world is unable to end air travel.

A small group of people find a way to do it in one day.

They may have voted? I dunno you'd have to read the book!

This is my absolute favorite part of the book and I cackled with glee

kater
Nov 16, 2010

mee maw wrong thread w/e

why'd we make 41,600 subway shops anyways. seems poorly planned use of resources.

kater has issued a correction as of 09:36 on Dec 16, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

kater posted:

mee maw wrong thread w/e

why'd we make 41,600 subway shops anyways. seems poorly planned use of resources.

actually capitalism ensures the most efficient allocation of resources

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

munce posted:

"Economists have made-up their own numbers on climate change" based on a "crazy-bad assumption" says Australian economist @ProfSteveKeen

Lol this is a loving pro click. It's literally a real life version of that clip where Toby from the office is a scientist on the news and lays out how hosed we are. The dumb American reporter asks him "what kind of economic firepower do we need to throw at this thing" and he more or less says that were completely hosed because we failed to act 50 years ago when the limits to growth was published and that market solutions won't work and the only path forward is globalized "war footing" (eco Stalinism lol)

loving lmao

Also worth watching just to hear an Australian pronounce Maryland lol

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 10:47 on Dec 16, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

splifyphus posted:

yeah, this is the final stage of crack ping. like, it's that old 'may you live in interesting times' thing, but on crack.

we live in the most interesting times, ever. it's the loving end of history! there's never been a better time to be alive and awake. if you're strong enough to stare the horror of the real in the face, then you are treated to a perspective that no entity has ever had before.

we're collectively powerful enough to wipe out an entire biosphere, and individually we have never been more helpless. we get to watch an apocalypse, through an apocalypse, while being an apocalypse.

https://twitter.com/joshcarlosjosh/status/1423668285837504514?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

silicone thrills posted:

This is my absolute favorite part of the book and I cackled with glee

Why what did they do

munce posted:

Is economist the most harmful "job" that exists because man it sure seems that way all the time

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why what did they do

Is economist the most harmful "job" that exists because man it sure seems that way all the time

The purpose of their field is to create pseudoscience that most people believe is real science in order to prevent anything from stopping capitalism so um, yes.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

actionjackson posted:

thunder here in minneapolis lol

december 15th

We had an "interesting" weather week here in NW Wisconsin. Last Friday/Saturday it snowed 12 inches. We usually get our stronger storms later in the season, but this is not unheard of, just unusual. Yesterday was a record high of 57 with 70mph straight line winds and a line of tornadoes that shredded a few small towns. The local weather said one of the storms (the storm itself, not the winds inside it) was travelling at 110mph, something they had never seen before in any season. I've lived here over 40 years and can't remember a single other tornado touching down in December. The snow is completely gone now. I've never seen that much snow fall and disappear that quickly outside of spring. poo poo's hosed and even the geriatrics around here are starting to comment on it as if it may be related to something....

e: the storm was travelling down the path of a country highway where the speed limit is 55mph. I'm just imagining driving down that road at 65mph in the dark trying to get home and the storm overtakes you faster than you can see it coming or get out of the way because it's going 45mph faster than that. gently caress.

Gorson has issued a correction as of 12:39 on Dec 16, 2021

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Haha yeah. Hoo boy that's a post

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

E: This GIF is a year old, yesterdays wild satelite image with "embedded tornadoes" is now the fourth of these in two years lol.

Rime has issued a correction as of 13:35 on Dec 16, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Things don't look that bad. Yet

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

It's cold over here on the west coast.

its friggin bullsh*t

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
wildly swinging between fire season and windstorm season hell yeah its gonna own when they butt up against each other and we can get firestorm season in between

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/WeatherNation/status/1471465141531295744

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

kater posted:

mee maw wrong thread w/e

oh man, this is such a rabbit hole of insanity but basically, subway made it really easy to franchise shops and a lot of people saw it as their ticket to wealth which led to things like multiple subways within eyeshot of each other and malicious inspections of subways by other subway owners so the restaurants would be up for grabs for existing franchise owners

of course, focusing on expanding as rapidly as possible with little regard to healthy growth led to a lot of issues in the organization and a general decline in the quality of food (not like they had that far to fall, but still)

it's not really thread appropriate so i'll just share some articles about this but it's fascinating and it almost makes me think that capitalism might not be the most efficient allocation of resources

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/business/subway-franchisees.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/19/style/subway-tuna-sandwich-lawsuit.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/rise-and-fall-of-subway-restaurants-2019-9

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/financing/why-subway-no-easy-fix

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
always wondered where that Achewood story arc came from

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
*a raider upon finding a group of survivors hiding from a heatwave underground in 2026* subway, eat flesh

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

last night it was low 50s with a thunderstorm

this morning it's 20 with a 6 degree windchill and snowdrifts

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

munce posted:

wow, someone who almost hates economists as much as i do :love:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

IAMKOREA posted:

Lol this is a loving pro click. It's literally a real life version of that clip where Toby from the office is a scientist on the news and lays out how hosed we are. The dumb American reporter asks him "what kind of economic firepower do we need to throw at this thing" and he more or less says that were completely hosed because we failed to act 50 years ago when the limits to growth was published and that market solutions won't work and the only path forward is globalized "war footing" (eco Stalinism lol)

loving lmao

Also worth watching just to hear an Australian pronounce Maryland lol

For anyone who hasn't watched this clip yet, it really is literally that Newsroom clip in real life. Dude is talking about the most populated parts of the planet becoming uninhabitable and just getting "so what's it gonna cost" responses.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I love The Expanse but everytime I watch the opening credits and see how they built a giant seawall to save the Statue of Liberty I lmao

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Paradoxish posted:

For anyone who hasn't watched this clip yet, it really is literally that Newsroom clip in real life. Dude is talking about the most populated parts of the planet becoming uninhabitable and just getting "so what's it gonna cost" responses.

to which he responds with "well, maybe if we did everything that the Limits to Growth suggested 50 years ago instead of listening to economists..."

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
climate change will have a negligible impact on the economy because most industry is indoors

I just need to put my factory thermostat 2 degrees cooler to compensate for a 2 degree hotter climate

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

climate change will have a negligible impact on the economy because most industry is indoors

I just need to put my factory thermostat 2 degrees cooler to compensate for a 2 degree hotter climate

don't forget to cool the area with wind turbines

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

munce posted:

lmao pro watch for sure, that's the real life version of the newsroom clip

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rectal Death Adept posted:

If we simply took the weakest link out of this economy it would be more robust and operate a lot more smoothly.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Weakest link conspicuously missing from this theater, nothing here to stop the free flow of capital whatsoever

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Koirhor posted:

I love The Expanse but everytime I watch the opening credits and see how they built a giant seawall to save the Statue of Liberty I lmao

However they let most of Baltimore sink lmao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

children of men is such a good movie

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I'm the other semis just blasting by and hoping for the best

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

However they let most of Baltimore sink lmao

:911:

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

munce posted:

This is great. He mentions Paul Beckwith who is a Canadian professor with a Youtube channel. I'm sure a lot of you are aware but if not, good channel to poke around, lots of good knowledge amidst the rambling especially for jetstream breakdown info. I watch at 1.5x speed because life is getting too shorter every new study released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXLljrJK1ks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I'm the other semis just blasting by and hoping for the best

Stopping doesn't make you any less likely to get knocked over, you might as well get closer to your destination while you can

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/dino_grandoni/status/1471531042611806210

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lol let's go Brandon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

SKULL.GIF posted:

Stopping doesn't make you any less likely to get knocked over, you might as well get closer to your destination while you can

Or you could not park directly perpendicular to the prevailing wind direction. Just spit balling here

E: oh is this a tornado thing?