Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I want all the hit pieces now. I wanna know what this fucker was up to from Monday to Saturday cause it sure as poo poo wasn't coaching.

I, too, am here for people talking mad poo poo about an rear end in a top hat of a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Honestly curious why you think this. Like he can always just retire and be ok, but how picky do you think he gets to be if he wants to be a head coach again? I guess there are rumors out there about the Raiders too.

Caldwell is 66 is the only gripe I have with this.

If the choice is someone like Caldwell, I think the age part is ok, because the expectation isn’t that Caldwell is going to be the HC that will lead the team to glory for the next decade like a dude like Leftwich might turn out to be. The hope would just be to get someone who’s known to be a solid guy who won’t gently caress things up for a couple years while fixing the rest of the organization.

The team is organizationally pinned on their own goal line now. A Caldwell-type is the let’s just run the ball, not give up a safety and try to grab some field position for next time option.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Pederson is not a dynamic or game-changing coach but his experience as a former player can help connect with the locker room and you'll never see him pull a Nagy and punt on 4th and inches from his own 35.

Plus he did make the playoffs twice after Reich left.

But he would absolutely need to put together a better supporting staff than what he wanted in Philly.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

He's a moron. As soon as Reich left he couldn't do anything

Amusingly, Lombardi was actually right about him all along

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Kalli posted:

Like complete dogshit. Worse then Zac Wilson. Just everyone's fine with blaming Urban for it, and still thinks the world of Trev.

Lawrence shows flashes Wilson doesn't, basically, so the idea is a coach who isn't running a one man show called "How to Get Run Out of the NFL" can do something good with him

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

oldskool posted:

Comedy answer: Jeff "literally can't go 7-9 any more" Fisher

He would go 7-9-1 and you know it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Players loved Caldwell when he was in Detroit and he helped develop Stafford into a more polished QB, so he could very much be a good fit for what Jacksonville needs.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Robert Mays pointing out that Urban keeps picking up guys he's familiar with from his time recruiting in college is so funny to me. Why else would Tim Tebow, Tavon Austin and Laquan Treadwell be on one team in 2021

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

pseudodragon posted:

If the choice is someone like Caldwell, I think the age part is ok, because the expectation isn’t that Caldwell is going to be the HC that will lead the team to glory for the next decade like a dude like Leftwich might turn out to be. The hope would just be to get someone who’s known to be a solid guy who won’t gently caress things up for a couple years while fixing the rest of the organization.

The team is organizationally pinned on their own goal line now. A Caldwell-type is the let’s just run the ball, not give up a safety and try to grab some field position for next time option.

Caldwell will actually put in the work and the team won't be a clown fiesta, which is a gigantic improvement for the Jags. He isn't the flashiest hire but he has that competency floor that Jacksonville hasn't had since like the couple years of Del Rio where they were good

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

If Leftwich gets an interview with the jags and he's not a disaster during that then he's not leaving the building without the job imo

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

lol meyer
off to college to finger more coeds

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Bet we hear a bunch next year about all the charity work Urban Meyer is doing.

Then the year after that he's back coaching some dumb fuckstain college team.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Totally forgot this part lol

quote:

April 29: Jaguars select Trevor Lawrence first overall. The team also took RB Travis Etienne, Lawrence's Clemson teammate, 25th. Meyer admitted in a post-draft news conference that he had wanted to take former Florida WR Kadarius Toney with that pick

Why would you say this lmao

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I watch Urbz roll into Gainesville, recruit like crazy, win two titles, fake a stress related heart attack to get out of his buyout, make heartfelt declarations about wanting to watch his kids grow up, then pop up on a P5 sideline like 11mo later. The mess he left in Gainesville somehow has taken over a decade to try and unpack.

No sane person though Urban would work out in the NFL. At least not anyone who was paying attention. His strength as a coach—lying, all the time, professionally—won’t pan out when you’re trying to scheme a 53 man roster of adult millionaires and not selling a program to a poor, wide eyed child.

Meyer brought two crystal footballs to us along with a lot of good memories and I have affection for that, but holy poo poo did his lack of interest and staying power ultimately cause a lot of issues.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Caldwell has a pretty high floor, is very good with QBs and Iis the exact opposite of Meyer culture wise. He'd be a good fit just to put the fires out.

Nov 6, 2002

Chucktesla posted:

Totally forgot this part lol

Why would you say this lmao

The Etienne pick wasn't much better!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't understand people talking about a transitional coach or 'putting the fires out'. I think you just hire whoever you think has the best offensive mind and ability to organize a staff and go from there. I don't see what pumping in 7-10 seasons with Caldwell and Bevell until TLaw's rookie contract is up does for anyone unless you genuinely believe they can be innovative enough to coach a Super Bowl contending team.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Nodoze posted:

He's a moron. As soon as Reich left he couldn't do anything

Amusingly, Lombardi was actually right about him all along

If only you could isolate it to one variable

Nov 6, 2002

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I don't understand people talking about a transitional coach or 'putting the fires out'. I think you just hire whoever you think has the best offensive mind and ability to organize a staff and go from there. I don't see what pumping in 7-10 seasons with Caldwell and Bevell until TLaw's rookie contract is up does for anyone unless you genuinely believe they can be innovative enough to coach a Super Bowl contending team.

Cause they're a poo poo show of a mess and probably won't get the top candidate?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why would a team with Trevor Lawrence on a rookie deal not get a top tier candidate? How are they a poo poo show with Urban gone?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chucktesla posted:

Robert Mays pointing out that Urban keeps picking up guys he's familiar with from his time recruiting in college is so funny to me. Why else would Tim Tebow, Tavon Austin and Laquan Treadwell be on one team in 2021

Or playing Carlos Hyde instead of the actual good running back on their roster? Or bringing in Charlie Strong and Tom Herman as coaches?

Urban had never coached in the NFL before and it was extremely obvious very early on that he also hadn’t paid any attention to the NFL before accepting the job.

Nov 6, 2002

Despite having Lawrence - who showed absolutely nothing this year - they need about two years of just taking BPA to fix that roster.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The Etienne pick wasn't much better!

He wanted to use Etienne as a hybrid runningback/slot receiver which, man, if you wanted to have a guy that can run option routes and screens and motion to the backfield and run outside zone plays then Laviska Shenault was already on the roster. Just a bad pick on multiple levels!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Urban Meyer's Jags got wrecked by Geno Smith this year lmao

That, and they got the rare onside kick returned for a TD against them too.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

poo poo I just realized I had the Texans over the Jags as a stone cold lock this weekend, and now I have to change that all up.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

It’s not an understatement to say that the Jags getting multiple 7-win seasons would be a major improvement. The last times they had 7 or more wins was the 10-6 year with the playoff run in 2017, and before that you have to go back to an 8-8 season in 2010 (Jack Del Rio’s last full season).

The argument is generally that a guy like Caldwell could come in and build a foundation of stability the franchise hasn’t had in over a decade. He’s an older coach, so it’s not likely he’d be your future for 8-10 seasons, but maybe he could build things over 3-4 to make it an attractive spot for a future hiring, or have an assistant on his staff that whole time as an heir apparent who takes over after, someone who maybe isn’t ready right now but could be. If you wanted a transitional coach, and if he was willing to do it, that’d be a really solid option.

Now, the counter to that is why not hire the younger candidate and give them a shot in the first place. That could be a much higher ceiling for the team and work out better in the really long term. However, I think it speaks to how many view the Jaguars organization that a lot of people are talking about needing someone with previous experience to change the culture and get things on the right path, and the likelihood that the super hot, younger coaching candidates (Whoever they may be this year) may not be interested in going to Jacksonville and cleaning up the mess created by Meyer.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

It's important to note that the reason Urban Meyer was in a position to get fired from the Jacksonville Jaguars is because the person in charge of them thought he fit "whoever you think has the best offensive mind and ability to organize a staff"

Hiring a stopgap coach to put out the fires at least comes with the knowledge that Shad Khan hasn't talked himself into another massive, complete failure

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

The falcons turned it around immediately after firing Petrino and that offense arguably had less talent than the Jags will have going into next year

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://twitter.com/lukezim/status/1471504643612037128?s=21

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1471479319654457347?t=23ZIbUOT8RZJ83CGHOR-Wg&s=19

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think they should hire the good coach

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1471368142127616006

lol YOU HIRED THOSE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Kalli posted:

poo poo I just realized I had the Texans over the Jags as a stone cold lock this weekend, and now I have to change that all up.

"We fired our coach on a Thursday," doesn't seem like a great position of stability regardless.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

"We fired our coach on a Thursday," doesn't seem like a great position of stability regardless.

They're two teams full of players that have quit for the year, but the Jags just got a reprieve, they might actually be trying on Sunday, and against the Texans, that's all that matters

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kalli posted:

I don't think that is true. The Jags have way better players than the Texans do.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Probably Magic posted:

The Texans are stuck with Easterby/the FO for the forseeable future with no relief in sight and the Jaguars will have a bounce in their step because no one will have kicked them in the hammies for a few days; it's definitely gonna be a Jags win

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I do think the posts about how Urban Meyer will never coach in the NFL again because he "knows he would fail now" are giving the man a bit too much credit for introspection. It's almost guaranteed that he's already cemented in a series of excuses and rationalizations for why things didn't work out in Jacksonville and exactly how none of it was his fault.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

He probably blames that woman he fingered in the restaurant more than himself for getting fired from the team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Starsfan posted:

I do think the posts about how Urban Meyer will never coach in the NFL again because he "knows he would fail now" are giving the man a bit too much credit for introspection. It's almost guaranteed that he's already cemented in a series of excuses and rationalizations for why things didn't work out in Jacksonville and exactly how none of it was his fault.

He'll have to go back to college and win a lot more to get another NFL shot. Which definitely is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

God drat Urban rules so much. Hilarious.