Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I've heard more people have started doing this as it allows kids with allergies to enjoy trick or treating too, which I never thought of. I'll probably do something like this next year.

this was my wife's rationale for wanting to do it, and while I'm not sure how relevant it is the kids seem to like it anyway

I think it's because a 5-year-old is smart enough to understand that a lovely little toy is a more permanent acquisition than a piece of candy and that they can continue enjoying it after the candy is gone, but not smart enough to understand they'll just get bored with it in 30 seconds anyhow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA? I got uninvited from my friend's wedding and everyone says it's my fault.

OP posted:

I'm sorry what? Why would he come first???

Am I not allowed to be hurt and upset when that change involves the fact that she doesn't care as much about me anymore as she does for that man?

So there's nothing wrong with the fact that she's not gonna be her own person anymore and her whole life will be about that man and any possible kids? She'll lose herself, how's that not concerning???

for some reason it's normalised that she's going to put a man before our friendship despite the fact that she knows him for a shorter period simply because she's going to have kids with him? Partners come and go but friendships cannot be replaced for the world. In what world is that ok???

Are we justifying forgetting our friends just to be with our partners now? I thought this was an outdated mindset and people judged those who put their gfs or bfs before their friends and now we've come full circle to justify it??

No. I am a straight woman

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Rich people living in a gated community. rear end in a top hat-o-meter is going wild.

somehow, even before this update, i knew this ultimately came down to "WE CAN'T HAVE ROACHES, ONLY DIRTY POOR PEOPLE HAVE ROACHES"

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

While it is definitely a thing and can be annoying when people just ditch friends because they have someone to gently caress now, OP just doesn't come across sympathetic at all.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA Leaving my husband with the baby for 4 hours?

This is sad as hell

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I've heard more people have started doing this as it allows kids with allergies to enjoy trick or treating too, which I never thought of. I'll probably do something like this next year.

yeah, its definitely not an uptight church thing. in my froo froo fancy liberal neighborhood there were lots of people who had pre-packaged treat bags with categories like, allergen candy, gluten-free, no nuts, toys and stickers, etc.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

littleratbastard posted:

“I am a mother to five, 12m,12f,14m,15f,15m. When I started dating my husband the kids were 2,4 and 5. Their father died when I was pregnant with the youngest twins.”

The youngest kids were two years old when she met the new husband, she wasn’t still pregnant, but it’s pretty weirdly worded, honestly.

Yeah it's easy to not notice that she has two sets of twins there.

Which, gently caress that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

quote:

she's lost herself to that man and her pretendious hobbies.

dear strong bad, how do you be the rear end in a top hat with boxing gloves on?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Combo posted:

Yeah it's easy to not notice that she has two sets of twins there.

Which, gently caress that.

I don’t see how any human beings could have a multichild birth and then decide they want to have more kids.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
people are loving crazy when it comes to kids, man. my own mom has a story about how she started bleeding out real bad after my older brother was born, and the doctor saying they'd need to take dramatic action and give her a hysterectomy or die, and her saying no gently caress you, I'm not done having kids. He obviously figured it out and she didn't die, but goddamn, mom. That's intense.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I doubt the total veracity of that story tbh (how were you able to say no when supposedly bleeding out?) but I share it because it's told as a story about how strong her desire to be a mom was

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Another friend of mine and I were discussing how she's centered her whole life around planning that wedding for a whole hear and how she's lost herself to that man and her pretendious hobbies.

I really want pretendious to become a word now.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pretendious: someone too dumb to be pretentious

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for suggesting to my fiancée that we make our honeymoon inclusive to our friends?

quote:

I'm getting married in 7 months and one week after the wedding we will plan our honeymoon which will be in a resort of our country, around a 2 hour flight.

The place we were going has always been a dream destination of me and my friends. When I told them where we'd plan our honeymoon they said how jealous they are and how they wish they could also go. I told them that we could consider the idea of making this a friend inclusive honeymoon and they were very excited with the idea. Sadly for many years we hadn't been able to plan the trip with the guys to that place because our conflicting schedules but now pretty much is easier for us to be able to align our vacation days. So I thought this was a great chance.

I announced it to my fiancée the other day and I thought she'd find it a cool idea but she got completely mad at me and started crying and telling me how much of an inconsiderate AH I am. I tried to explain to her I didn't do it with malice I simply thought it would be a good chance for the guys to experience it and I even told her she can tell some of her own friends of they want to join.

She told me that I'm ridiculous for insisting that this is a good idea and how she felt horrible because I'm inconsiderate because I made my honeymoon into a friendship trip when it's supposed to be about us two. She also says I'm an even bigger AH for discussing it with my friends and getting them excited about it when I didn't consult her and honestly I think she's right on that part and I might be TA.

On the idea though, I didn't think she'd mind that much. I thought it sounded fun.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Funktastic posted:

AITA for not letting my bf cook in my kitchen since he always throws away the food he makes?

what the gently caress

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Hughlander posted:

AITA for suggesting to my fiancée that we make our honeymoon inclusive to our friends?

The origin story of the guy who doesn't understand why getting a paternity test on his 3 year old resulted in his wife divorcing him.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
babe, hey, babe? babe, listen. saturda- hey? babe? saturdays are ferda. saturdays are ferda. come on put your bag down and ask me what ferda means. babe. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabe.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I doubt the total veracity of that story tbh (how were you able to say no when supposedly bleeding out?) but I share it because it's told as a story about how strong her desire to be a mom was

If you are capable of making informed decisions, you are allowed to refuse any and all medical care.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Hughlander posted:

lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

What the hell kind of friends even want to crash your honeymoon, what the gently caress?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

1stGear posted:

If you are capable of making informed decisions, you are allowed to refuse any and all medical care.

Also its nothing like the movies, it takes like 10 minutes to bleed out from something major.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
10 minutes doesn't seem like enough time for the doctor to suggest a hysterectomy multiple times and be denied then figure something else out.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

Also its nothing like the movies, it takes like 10 minutes to bleed out from something major.

Those are rookie numbers dude, I bet I could bleed out way faster.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Sitting at my desk whispering "pretendious" to myself in a Strong Bad voice and giggling.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Biplane posted:

What the hell kind of friends even want to crash your honeymoon, what the gently caress?

What kind of destination honeymoon are a bunch of guys super jealous of and bemoaning their inabilty to go?

Like, inviting them is I assume they pay for the flight and hotel, so clearly affording it isn't a problem. Why does the honeymoon suddenly look like their only chance?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

10 minutes doesn't seem like enough time for the doctor to suggest a hysterectomy multiple times and be denied then figure something else out.

He's not sitting there with his hands up his rear end while asking, two things can done at once. Also note how I said major, not any old bleeding, and also you lose consciousness long before the death point. If you're talking still, you're not dying just yet.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pentyne posted:

What kind of destination honeymoon are a bunch of guys super jealous of and bemoaning their inabilty to go?

Like, inviting them is I assume they pay for the flight and hotel, so clearly affording it isn't a problem. Why does the honeymoon suddenly look like their only chance?

Probably some beach resort.

Yeah, if they can afford to go now, why can't they just go together some other time? Unless there's a baby on the way or this couple is one of those "NOW THAT WE ARE MARRIED WE CAN NEVER DO ANYTHING APART! EVER!!!" types.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

1stGear posted:

this is what I really take from it. I'm sure I've just messed up the details since it's not my tale to tell, but mostly what I got from it was that sometimes doctors will tell you that you absolutely need to do something as a woman re: your reproductive health, and you have the right to say no and if you're able, get a second opinion. this is NOT the same as not ever believing doctors, but it means you have to be the advocate for your own care.

my mom's a stronger woman than I am, bc honestly I'd just get the hysterectomy, but I don't want kids so I've got the opposite problem where I'm like, please make me sterile, but that's easier said than done for someone with a womb deemed of child-bearing age

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 16, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I assume they are demanding prima nocta.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Ok, I get THAT but then sending them away at the door seems pointless.

This is a really lovely take. If you tell someone "I want an apology" and they refuse to acknowledge anything and just complain about you, you have every right to turn them away when they show up at your house. She said in the comments that even a text from her mom would be all she needs. But apparently that's too much and she should just let the mom waltz into her house any time she likes?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My late mother-in-law was told that her fourth pregnancy would probably kill her and that she should abort. She didn't, she lived decades after that, and my youngest sister-in-law is a great person.

I would never have made that choice.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Reading between the lines, I'm thinking this isn't the first time poo poo like this has happened, and the only reason the mom wants to come in to 'talk' is to try and spin poo poo for why the stepdad doesn't need to apologize and everyone should just put this behind them and move forward 'for the family' or some poo poo. OP is not going to give enough ground to let that happen, which may seem dramatic or confusing, but it's the only way to handle people who use chances for dialogue as moments to manipulate. It's the apology or no contact.

I applaud the OP for growing a backbone, but they may be saddened to learn they might not get the apology and it's just gonna be no contact. When you've never played hardball with defending your boundaries before, you can fool yourself into thinking that just being bold enough to do it will get you the results you're aiming for.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 16, 2021

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

the holy poopacy posted:

dear strong bad, how do you be the rear end in a top hat with boxing gloves on?

All of these become much better if you read them in strong bad voice

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Reading between the lines, I'm thinking this isn't the first time poo poo like this has happened, and the only reason the mom wants to come in to 'talk' is to try and spin poo poo for why the stepdad doesn't need to apologize and everyone should just put this behind them and move forward 'for the family' or some poo poo. OP is not going to give enough ground to let that happen, which may seem dramatic or confusing, but it's the only way to handle people who use chances for dialogue as moments to manipulate. It's the apology or no contact.

I applaud the OP for growing a backbone, but they may be saddened to learn they might not get the apology and it's just gonna be no contact. When you've never played hardball with defending your boundaries before, you can fool yourself into thinking that just being bold enough to do it will get you the results you're aiming for.

Yeah I got the same impression. In the comments, op clarifies that her mom came over to call op immature over not dropping this issue and this isn't the first time she's pulled a stunt like this.

El Spamo posted:

All of these become much better if you read them in strong bad voice

:hmmyes:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Grimdude posted:

While it is definitely a thing and can be annoying when people just ditch friends because they have someone to gently caress now, OP just doesn't come across sympathetic at all.

She didn't even ditch her friends, she just stopped hanging out with them quite as often. You know, because she's an adult with a job and a relationship and some hobbies that don't include obsessively clinging to the same people she grew up with.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Grimdude posted:

Mom here is both stupid AND an rear end in a top hat. Why even bring this up? He wasn't going anyway, so just don't say anything about not going.

Completely avoidable, but she just HAD to get that dig in.

Disagree mainly because:

quote:

He did not care and kept talking about stupid it was. I still wanted to go see him inducted at the ceremony, he threw a fit about how it was boring and like a punishment. I told him it's just an hour and I'd reward him later by taking him out to his favorite restaurant. He still kept bashing it and at one point made me upset by saying he would intentionally lower his grades this semester so he wouldn't qualify. After seeing how upset that made me he said he wasn't serious but it still kind of put a damper on the whole thing.

quote:

Now honestly I probably wouldn't have cared if he had just worn the shirt to the ceremony to start since I doubt the school would've denied him entry and frankly I've liked Nirvana since before he was born, but his general attitude just kind of ruined the thing for me and left a bad taste in my mouth. I still fulfilled my promise and took him out, but decided not to discuss the honor society at all once he replied at first about how stupid it was.

She takes the hint that her kid hates/hated the ceremony, doesn't bring it up & still takes him out to dinner after. Understandably disappointed in the kid, but nothing major.

quote:

Well he told me he's on track to make it again this semester. I told him fine, whatever, I'm not attending the ceremony if he does. He told me he doesn't want to attend it anyway, but why wouldn't I? I explained to him how his behavior and attitude the last time completely ruined it and I don't want to go through with that again. It's entirely his choice to attend the ceremony or not, but either way I won't be going. And even that got him kind of upset. He told me that if he chooses to attend parents should go too, he was just angry at being kind of forced to go. He also asked if this applies to future years. I told him simply I'm never attending an honor society ceremony for him again.

So why's the kid so mad about his mom not going to a ceremony he clearly hates & won't be attending anyways? Stupid teen poo poo yes, but he has no grounds to get mad when (A) they're not forcing him this time due to the previous event & (B) he didn't want to go anyways. Closest I can vote is ESH but only because mom said she'd never go to ANY future events; even then she sounds pretty justified with a bratty kid. I'm guessing he thought he'd get "rewarded" again if he agreed to go, but now that mom & dad bowed out, he won't get the chance to "be rebellious" & get a free dinner for it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
AITA for telling my husband I don’t want to give our child his last name?

quote:

My husband and I have been friends since middle school, dating since junior year of high school, and got married as soon as I graduated college. We’ve been married for two years now, we just found I’m pregnant with our first child.

When we got married, I hyphenated our last names, with my last name being first, because I believe marriage is a union, and taking his last name felt like him claiming ownership over me. My husband was frustrated with this decision, but I stood my ground and was not going to budge. He eventually accepted this, but he did not hyphenate his last name. This bothered me for reasons I can’t explain, but I never brought it up as something I had a problem with because I honestly understand.

Now I’m pregnant, and I wanted to tell him now, while we still have eight months to discuss it, that I want to hyphenate our child’s last name. He BLEW UP on me, telling me I’m being ridiculous and I can’t actually expect him to be okay with that and he just won’t stand for it. I told him I want OUR child to have OUR last names. He told me it wasn’t his last name, it was mine. I then told him that HE is the ridiculous one for not realizing how silly he sounded by saying my hyphenated last name wasn’t ALSO HIS NAME.

Side note: Before we even got married, he told me he wanted his hypothetical son to have his first name. I agreed, with some reluctancy if I’m being honest, but I love my husband and I love his name.

I brought this fact up to him. If we had a son, my husband wants him to have his first AND last name, and even if we have a daughter, she’ll still have his last name. I told him that it wasn’t fair. I even told him that we could put his last name first when we hyphenate, but he was not having it.

I went on to say that my sister has constant problems because her son doesn’t have her last name, even though the father has never been in my nephews life. She gets questioned by doctors and teachers if she’s really his mom, and since she’s gotten married, she even has problems with getting him under her husbands Tricare. I told him if we ever separated, I don’t want those problems.

Then he blew up on me again for “assuming” we would separate, and THATS when I finally snapped and told him he was being a stubborn-self centered, man child. He knew that that wasn’t what I meant and he was being extremely obtuse. He left to cool down and now I’m getting texts from my MIL saying that I was being unreasonable and manipulative, and had to reduce to insults and throw a fit to get what I want. (Even though I didn’t get what I wanted)

I can understand he wants his child to have his last name, but I feel like hyphenating is still giving the child his last name. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

EDIT: I am AWARE we should’ve discussed this before, but no one is perfect and we still have eight months to work this out. I’m not going to divorce my husband over this but I’m not backing down.

To people saying it’s “emasculating,” I don’t care. I’m not going to prioritize anything over my husband’s ego. To people saying that I’d be giving my child my fathers name, why are you so focused on how men are going to influence my child’s name? It’s not about giving my child a name that is non-male oriented, it’s about sharing my heritage, my history, and my identity with my child through their name. To people that are saying I’m taking away my husbands ability to claim the child as his, the baby would ALSO share his last name and children are not possessions!

To the person that said it’s weird to give my child my last name unless I’m accomplished in my field, why don’t you think the same thing about men? Also, people saying that men are the head of the household, what era are you living in?? The sexism in those particular comment is unreal.

EDIT 2: I’ve gotten a lot of people commenting “what’s your children going to do when they get married???” And that’s up to them. There are plenty of options, they can have a third last name, keep their last name, take their spouses last name, come up with a completely new last name!!! It’s up to them!! And that’s assuming they ever even get married. But I’m not going to decide what to name my kid over their hypothetical marriage and hypothetical children that are decades from being a possibility

EDIT 3: people that use feminism/ feminist like it’s a dirty word are immediately irrelevant. The only people bringing up being “woke” or “feminist bullshit” are people calling me the rear end in a top hat. I never once said sharing my name with my baby was to be “woke” or “feminist”

EDIT 4: I agree we should all have the same last name!! If only my husband would hyphenate!
I post this mainly for the edits. Stay classy reddit.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah well what did she expect, she posted the m word :redhammer:

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I'm a lady and I want my partner and children to take my name . Surprised at how many dudes really prefer their last names in these Reddit stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Uncle Enzo posted:

I mean yeah I did nothing but criticize her education, employment, training, hobbies, romantic partner, and her wedding but she's def overreacting to uninvite me!

People are static. They like the same things they liked when they were kids and teenagers and never change. If they do change it's due to some nefarious outside influence who forces them to change against their will