Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Aramoro posted:

Eh? Black and white camel?

Does your version not have one black camel and one white camel AKA the Crazy Camels? With one six sided die with 1-2-3 White and 1-2-3 Black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fate Accomplice posted:

I enjoyed seasons 1-2 very much but neither holds a candle to the gameplay or storytelling of season 0.

Season 0 is extremely worth your time.

The two people I know that played 0 (separately) both were very lukewarm on it.

Do we still have a spoiler thread?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
My issue with 7 Wonders Duel is it feels like I’m playing eenie meanie miney mo with the brown resource cards. Whoever gets the better share of them seems almost predestined to win. Am I too blinkered about that?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jewmanji posted:

My issue with 7 Wonders Duel is it feels like I’m playing eenie meanie miney mo with the brown resource cards. Whoever gets the better share of them seems almost predestined to win. Am I too blinkered about that?

Sometimes that's the case. But that's why you need to plan the cards you take so that you're revealing ones that are strategically lacking for your opponent - or, I'd things are going poorly, you start to build up military and/or science stuff to try to grab a victory that way. Either your opponent ignores you and you win, or they waste turns of their own trying to beat back your forces or steal science cards away from you.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Aggro posted:

Does your version not have one black camel and one white camel AKA the Crazy Camels? With one six sided die with 1-2-3 White and 1-2-3 Black?

They were only added in the second edition

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Played our second game of Oath this weekend. We hadn't played since August, so it took a bit to pick everything back up again. My group of four seems to be the perfect fit for this. We play complex games often, but we are not a highly competitive group. I think Oath can fall down with more competitive groups, as often the game can end up with one player having to decide the winner at the end. This happened to us this last game, where the Chancellor could not win with the current board state, but the two Exile players following her both would win at the beginning of their respective turns. She could potentially stop one from winning but not both, and the first exile could not stop the second. A lot of discourse around this game has to do with these states, but for us it was an interesting time seeing her decision based on both what happened this game and last game. She allowed the next player to win since that player's goal was similar to how she had won the previous game, and the empire would continue a similar rule for the next game, carrying on her legacy. The other almost winner was offered citizenship the next game to support the new regime.

It's super swingy, and often feels like whack-a-mole, but every round had one or two players in a position to win and it's always exciting seeing the table figure out how to stop that player and keep the game running until they can be in a position to win. We'll see how it holds up after a few more plays but so far it has been a hit.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Dune Imperium is the game from the last 1-2 years that interests me most, but it has too many mixed reviews for me to just order it outright. Haven't been to a random game night in a while, but might have to head to one to see if I can find someone with it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

where the Chancellor could not win with the current board state, but the two Exile players following her both would win at the beginning of their respective turns. She could potentially stop one from winning but not both, and the first exile could not stop the second.

It’s been a couple months but I think this is exactly what happened in our first game of Oath. I didn’t realize that was a common issue with / discussion topic about the game.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Radioactive Toy posted:

Played our second game of Oath this weekend. We hadn't played since August, so it took a bit to pick everything back up again. My group of four seems to be the perfect fit for this. We play complex games often, but we are not a highly competitive group. I think Oath can fall down with more competitive groups, as often the game can end up with one player having to decide the winner at the end. This happened to us this last game, where the Chancellor could not win with the current board state, but the two Exile players following her both would win at the beginning of their respective turns. She could potentially stop one from winning but not both, and the first exile could not stop the second. A lot of discourse around this game has to do with these states, but for us it was an interesting time seeing her decision based on both what happened this game and last game. She allowed the next player to win since that player's goal was similar to how she had won the previous game, and the empire would continue a similar rule for the next game, carrying on her legacy. The other almost winner was offered citizenship the next game to support the new regime.

It's super swingy, and often feels like whack-a-mole, but every round had one or two players in a position to win and it's always exciting seeing the table figure out how to stop that player and keep the game running until they can be in a position to win. We'll see how it holds up after a few more plays but so far it has been a hit.

We played our 4th game of Oath a few nights ago and it ended with a similar kingmaking situation. And the winning Exile randomly destroyed the Chancellors' Palanquin card to this dispossessed denizen pile which felt very thematic. I ran across this meta campaign variant which looks cool and would love to give a try if my group can get some consistent plays going, as it looks to give some more choices those who don't win : https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2725471/suit-wars-adding-more-campaign-elements-chronicle

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Megasabin posted:

Dune Imperium is the game from the last 1-2 years that interests me most, but it has too many mixed reviews for me to just order it outright. Haven't been to a random game night in a while, but might have to head to one to see if I can find someone with it.

It's definitely interesting and worth a play or two. My feel is that it needed a few more rounds of playtesting and tweaking to balance up parts of the game - the intrigue cards in particular seem like they need to evened up so there's not so many lucky draws and duds.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

I'm interested in Oath since it's not co-op but it is kind of legacy. I hear you have to really dive in though. Can the group size or people playing change from game to game?

I play with a rotating group and it's fine, the only thing you need to clear up with your group is how to handle the situation where the winning player (who would be chancellor in the next game) won't be attending the next session. In my case everyone's fine with someone else taking the scepter and just playing on from there, but ymmv.

Apropos the Oath kingmaking, I think this is where the legacy-lite elements shine since you can negotiate for (non-binding) concessions from whoever you're about to crown during the next game.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Slightly shocked to get an email saying my preorder of Pax Pamir had finally shipped. Zatu Games has some more available if you're in the UK (although it's £64 instead of the £45 pre order). Been wanting to try it for ages, I'm super hyped.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

The Eyes Have It posted:

I agree, 7 Wonders Duel is a great game. I prefer it it a lot.

Same. And I found 7W Architect almost random.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Loddfafnir posted:

Same. And I found 7W Architect almost random.

For its length of time it’s fine. And it improves once you know the decks apparently.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Megasabin posted:

Definitely play it somewhere else first and get a feel for it. I've played about four times now and I am on the fence. It's better than a lot of games out there but something feels off so far. I think the consensus of it being a light worker placement with even lighter deck building tacked on seems apt. I'm worried about its long-term viability devolving into lucky market row/intrigue card draws.

Also, 7 Wonders Duel is tremendous. We recommended it to another pair of friends of ours who are neophytes in the realm of board gaming addictions and they love it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Can someone fill me in on Museum's history? BGG says it was released in 2019 but then it lists a bunch of expansions which came out in 2018, and doing some googling it looks like there is a Kickstarter version, but now at the moment there's another KS for a Deluxe edition with more expansions? Did it start out as a KS game?

I'm a very casual boardgamer and Wingspan is pretty much everything I want from a board game but I decided to get something new for Xmas to play with family and friends, and we all like the Valley of the Kings card game so a collection builder like Museum seems like it'll fit the bill. It was only after ordering it that I found out it had expansions and other stuff, not that I'm going to rush out and get any before trying the base game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kalko posted:

Can someone fill me in on Museum's history? BGG says it was released in 2019 but then it lists a bunch of expansions which came out in 2018, and doing some googling it looks like there is a Kickstarter version, but now at the moment there's another KS for a Deluxe edition with more expansions? Did it start out as a KS game?

I'm a very casual boardgamer and Wingspan is pretty much everything I want from a board game but I decided to get something new for Xmas to play with family and friends, and we all like the Valley of the Kings card game so a collection builder like Museum seems like it'll fit the bill. It was only after ordering it that I found out it had expansions and other stuff, not that I'm going to rush out and get any before trying the base game.

It started as a Kickstarter with lots of expansions as built in stretch goals kind of thing. I played the kickstarter version with friends who back lots of kickstarters, and...I would not rush out and buy expansions before trying the base game, no.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The production of Museum far outstrips its merits as a game. It's a particularly toothless drafting game and, although it's rules light, there are still rules that don't make the game any more interesting. I suspect the most fun you can have w/ it is going through the deck and finding out about cool artefacts and the museums they're kept in.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Kalko posted:

It might be lighter/shorter than you are looking for, but Startups is a really excellent set collection game

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Modern Art works well with casual family and friends. Even if they don't quite get the details of optimal play or whatever, it's a lot of fun to participate in the auctions

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

pointsofdata posted:

Modern Art works well with casual family and friends. Even if they don't quite get the details of optimal play or whatever, it's a lot of fun to participate in the auctions

Same experience. But the game is quite fragile, so treat it more like an experience because the winner will probably be decided by the round order.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Kalko posted:

Bohnanza sounds like it would be good for you. It's a game about trading and collecting sets of bean cards, with the main gimmick being that you can't change the order of cards in your hand. Very simple rules with room for as much or as little negotiating as the players want.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Loddfafnir posted:

Same experience. But the game is quite fragile, so treat it more like an experience because the winner will probably be decided by the round order.

I'm not sure what you mean by fragile. If people are playing randomly or affecting the values in ways that don't really benefit them it's extremely easy to exploit. I don't think I've lost a teaching game because people are really bad at valuation and that game has many layers of it. You can't really break the economy or anything. If people are paying way too little or too much everything keeps moving along either way in a way that something like Container couldn't do.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

taser rates posted:

Bohnanza sounds like it would be good for you. It's a game about trading and collecting sets of bean cards, with the main gimmick being that you can't change the order of cards in your hand. Very simple rules with room for as much or as little negotiating as the players want.

Man I always forget about bohnanza somehow, such a good game. Were any of the expansions of that worth it or is it just bloat to a light game that doesnt need it?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Thanks all for the info and suggestions. I really do love the theme* of Museum so I'll probably forgive its mechanical shortcomings unless they're really egregious, and if that's the case we always have Valley of the Kings to fall back on. Does AEG even make games anymore? I wish they'd do another expansion for it (I did get the deluxe box thing earlier in the year so I'll be breaking that out next week, too).

* history/archaeology and ancient cultures, not the imperialism/pillaging part.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by fragile. If people are playing randomly or affecting the values in ways that don't really benefit them it's extremely easy to exploit. I don't think I've lost a teaching game because people are really bad at valuation and that game has many layers of it. You can't really break the economy or anything. If people are paying way too little or too much everything keeps moving along either way in a way that something like Container couldn't do.

In my experience, sitting next to someone that consistently overbids is a strong factor in victory (because in a single round auction, one will win a lot of money). And when I taught family, there was most of the time only one person that did.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Fellis posted:

Man I always forget about bohnanza somehow, such a good game. Were any of the expansions of that worth it or is it just bloat to a light game that doesnt need it?

Haven't played any of them but I've heard Bohnaparte is pretty interesting.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by fragile.

I kind of love this because it shows how overloaded some of the terminology we use can get. The OP uses “fragile” to mean susceptibility to unconscious kingmaking (which is one of the reasons i don’t like auctions as a balancing mechanic but that’s just a pet peeve), you use it to mean the game can break down entirely, while I’ve always used it to describe Friedmann friese games.

By which I mean, they’ve always got fiddly rules that - when not observed properly - break the balance of the game, but when properly used make the game interesting.

This is kind of an excuse to talk about why I think Black Friday is a great game that should only be played with automation, in that tracking price adjustments and bag adjustments makes the in person game a pain in the rear end, but if you don’t follow all those specific minuscule changes the balance goes out of whack. But! Playing online, where it tracks all that poo poo for you? Great, unique stock game of cashing out of a stock bubble into stable funds. It’s one of the reasons I love FF games while kind of also dreading picking up a new one.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

kingdom death is such a fun game. i can't believe you prudes roasted me for buying it, it's so good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Expensive games have a placebo effect where your brain tricks you into thinking it must be good too.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mr. Squishy posted:

Expensive games have a placebo effect where your brain tricks you into thinking it must be good too.

The sunk cost fallacy, probably. Or choice-supportive bias/post-purchase rationalization.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

wrong. i have no internalization of the value of money and will waste it on extremely stupid things with wild abandon and zero regret

this game is just fun. love crafting armor and building a settlement and then hunting monsters. it owns

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

jarofpiss posted:

kingdom death is such a fun game. i can't believe you prudes roasted me for buying it, it's so good.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I can see how parts of Kingdom Death are fun but there's just so much opportunity for the game to say "you no longer get to have fun, gently caress you" that I never want to touch it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Glad you're enjoying it, but fun != good.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

cocaine v meth

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mr. Squishy posted:

What do you like about it? I've only played like three hunts and enjoyed it more or less but could see some elements that are potentially quite annoying cropping up.

I did really like the "deck = health" mechanic on bosses. Also I guess playing it for free on TTS without having to worry about setup and teardown and tablespace helped.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Morpheus posted:

What do you like about it? I've only played like three hunts and enjoyed it more or less but could see some elements that are potentially quite annoying cropping up.

I did really like the "deck = health" mechanic on bosses. Also I guess playing it for free on TTS without having to worry about setup and teardown and tablespace helped.

i'm on my first campaign going into lantern year 7 and it's been fun as hell. it's been about 25-30 hours of gameplay so far. i've had some insta kills on my survivors which can be frustrating but since you're managing an entire settlement you don't have to get too attached to specific characters like i do when i'm playing with a team of heroes. there's a cool narrative that emerges out of them when they have kids building family trees etc, and then wind up wandering off into the darkness because they're too insane or something.

i'm really enjoying unlocking the various story milestones and developing the settlement. i like that it plays in three phases over a lantern year and that's usually just enough for one evening's play session.

there's an entire gear meta game where you match pieces and unlock set bonuses, and you start to learn the ai mechanics of the various bosses and have to cope with them. figuring out how the white lion wants to drag one of your survivors off and maul them to death and then coping with that has been great.

the lore and setting is wild as all hell and very dark and moody and putting on a dark ambient dungeon synth type album and fighting monsters is fantastic. i wish it was a little less anime inspired as far as the art direction goes but the monsters are great.

it's a really simple game but has a ton of depth it feels like. i think gloomhaven is probably a better game but i can see how people love kdm and are paying insane ebay prices for it. i'm crossing my fingers that the frosthaven settlement development mechanic is cribbing from kdm.

kdm is really scratching just about every itch for me that i want in a board game: miniatures, dungeon crawling, slaying monsters, collecting resources, leveling up a char and getting gear, etc. it's fantastic and i don't care what the philistines in this thread are saying about it.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

I can see how parts of Kingdom Death are fun but there's just so much opportunity for the game to say "you no longer get to have fun, gently caress you" that I never want to touch it.

yeah i really had to get into the mindset that my survivors are disposable or this game would have broken me a while ago lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sometimes people like boobie figures.