Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I bought my friend some Knipex Cobra pliers for a Christmas gift and I really should have ordered a pair for myself. I don't need it, I already have Irwin adjustable pliers similar to them that I've had for years and haven't let me down, but these are SO MUCH NICER. All the metal is thicker in the right areas, the adjuster feels stronger, and the grip surfaces are sharper and in more places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My only knipex regret is that I should have got like 3 of the 12 inch cobras. One for working on greasy poo poo at home and two for taking to work in a toolbag.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Day 4 sees an insulated 2.5 flat screwdriver. (Note: This is the first of the batch from 2020, the others had 2021 dates.)

In real tool news, I'm getting a trailer today to haul back about 1500 pounds of them...

At auction I bought a Delta Unisaw, Rockwell 14" bandsaw and Smithy 1324. I know the Smithy is a questionable buy, but it does have some electronics on it, hopefully it's old enough to be Taiwan or US made. I got it for $450, couldn't pass it up. I haven't used a metal lathe since college, so I'm kinda wanting to play.

Edit: Got everything into the garage. A stressful muscle-fest. The table saw is 500 pounds, but it's on wheels, so no big deal with 2 people. The bandsaw is a 2-wheel dolly single-person mover.

The Smithy Granite 1324, though... that's a loving beast. It's a combination mill/lathe with questionable reviews, but seems generally solid. At 670 pounds, sitting unbolted to a heavy built table, it's unreasonably top heavy and took every ratchet strap I had to cinch it to the trailer.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 4, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Day 5 gets... a box?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

that's what happens when you open them the "proper" way

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxyeD5uRuY

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

On Day 6 we play with science -- a magnetizer / demagnetizer. Works surprisingly well.

MomJeans420 posted:

that's what happens when you open them the "proper" way
True.

Boo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I know Clive hates doing those stereotypical Youtube thumbnails but a) he's done enough testing to know he gets more views when he does and b) he does them so over the top that they're :discourse:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
On the weekend I went to the tool store and found these. One for me and one for a pal, super nice little things.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

On the weekend I went to the tool store and found these. One for me and one for a pal, super nice little things.

I’ve found them super handy as well. Wait til you find out they make a version of those that’s the pliers wrench, too!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Dr. Habibi posted:

I’ve found them super handy as well. Wait til you find out they make a version of those that’s the pliers wrench, too!

I have the micro pliers wrench. It's loving awesome, and well worth the cost of you work with small stuff often.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Knipex pliers are great. Amazing grip and easy to adjust without being floppy.

Now we're entering the dregs of the Advent Calendar. Just like I know my wife and I are going to be drinking piss from the Aldi Wine Advent Calendar soon, here I'm finding a whopping... #2 Phillips bit. poo poo... KC Tools gives these away as joke gifts with any order. Anyway, in all its glory:

In other tool news, I realized that I don't have the time to hone metalworking skills while I'm building a woodworking base. Plus, I don't have the room for equipment for two materials. So, the Smithy Granite 1324 that I bought this weekend is getting picked up by a new owner today... for 4 times what I paid for it. :giggity:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Hey now, #2 phillips bits and screwdrivers and 10mm sockets are great gifts. They constantly disappear, so its important to have a good supply.

Diagonal cutters, too.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Since I did this today, and it made me angry enough to ask...

Recommend me a good grease gun. It's literally only for lubing the snowblower once or twice a year, and maybe hitting a random zerk on a car/truck occasionally.

I've got a big, cheap one now, but something that uses the smaller grease tubes is fine, because it won't get a ton of use. And are the Lock'n'lube couplers worth it?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

PitViper posted:

Recommend me a good grease gun. It's literally only for lubing the snowblower once or twice a year, and maybe hitting a random zerk on a car/truck occasionally.

I've got a big, cheap one now, but something that uses the smaller grease tubes is fine, because it won't get a ton of use. And are the Lock'n'lube couplers worth it?

Here's what I use around the shop/farm.
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubrication-1134-Pistol-Grease/dp/B0002NYDZ8

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-fittings-best-selling-Long-lasting-rebuildable/dp/B00H7LPKKU

Mobil XHP 222 Grease
https://www.global.mobil.com/en/lubricants/products/products/mobilgrease-xhp-222-special

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Dumb question but is there a concern with high pressure injection injuries when using a grease gun? I just noticed the pressures are insanely high, which I guess makes sense.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Day 8 brings a magnetic bit holder that fits in the side of the Day 5 case. Meh.

Edit: NM, didn't fit my saw.

Edit 2: Day 9 brings a T20 bit, I'll spare you the scrolling and assume that telling you is enough.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 9, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

Dumb question but is there a concern with high pressure injection injuries when using a grease gun? I just noticed the pressures are insanely high, which I guess makes sense.

I don't think so. They don't generate that sort of pressure just for fun, it's only if there's a jammed fitting or something blocking the line in which case the pressure can move it (or make it worse). Also, grease under pressure won't shoot out and fly feet away like say, steam, it'll just most likely glob up on the surface wherever it's leaking... if there's a leak, pressure is getting released and so can't build up and do anything really harmful.

You'd need a pretty specific set if circumstances to have grease injection be a thing. It's probably happened, but I wouldn't worry about it in a home garage.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Have any of you used one of those cheapo smoke machines from Amazon (the $120ish units)? Are they good enough for occasional use at home or will I use it once and then after a year of sitting in its box it never works again?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

PBCrunch posted:

Have any of you used one of those cheapo smoke machines from Amazon (the $120ish units)? Are they good enough for occasional use at home or will I use it once and then after a year of sitting in its box it never works again?

I've got one, similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JVT1NG2/

It's great, produces smoke, comes with good adapters that'll do most of what you might need. The only thing they're missing is a flow gauge, which can help with checking for small evap leaks without looking for smoke.

9/10, worth the purchase. Already saved my rear end on an evap fix and finding a vacuum leak.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

PitViper posted:

I just bought the whole Lock’n’Lube ‘professional’ pistol-grip grease gun. Seems decent.

I’m using Lucas greases since they’re available locally to me. Red’n’Tacky for wheel bearings, ‘mining’ grease for CVs. They’re both lithium greases.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

PitViper posted:

locknlube couplers are totally worth it IF all the zerks you need to hit have the clearance to be reached. saves you a LOT of time and effort.

I expect they are a dream for heavy equipment operators.

for some auto and industrial applications where you have < 2in of clearance, they dont work so great, so you need an angle adapter, which removes the advantage.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I know this comes up every so often, but is there any new hotness for socket holders? I just got a pile of sockets for my tool chest and I don't want to just let them roll around in the drawer. I'm not a huge fan of the metal rails but it'd be better than nothing.

There used to be a flexible rubber rail that people liked on some website (selling offroad tools or something?), but I don't think they're in production any more.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

boxen posted:

I know this comes up every so often, but is there any new hotness for socket holders? I just got a pile of sockets for my tool chest and I don't want to just let them roll around in the drawer. I'm not a huge fan of the metal rails but it'd be better than nothing.

There used to be a flexible rubber rail that people liked on some website (selling offroad tools or something?), but I don't think they're in production any more.

I’ve been pretty happy with my Tekton rails. They’ve got a whole lineup of options here: https://www.tekton.com/tool-storage/socket-organization

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

boxen posted:

It’s not new hotness and it’s a rail system but I put my commonly used sockets on a big four rail panel:

When not in use it hangs up with its friends like so:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

boxen posted:

I've mentioned it a couple times but I got this thing as a gift https://shop.snapon.com/product/Loc...-(Red)/BPTRYLAS and it's pretty great. As soon as I do any car work I have pretty much any socket/ratchet/extension I'll ever need right there next to me. Pretty handy and portable and they lock into it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's got to be a sturdy rail for me, and I prefer the double sided ones. Nearly everytime I bring the rail to the work because I won't know what size a thing is.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Arishtat posted:

It’s not new hotness and it’s a rail system but I put my commonly used sockets on a big four rail panel:

Jesus Christ nsfw that.

I've got a similar multi rail board and love it. Can't bring the wrong socket under the car if you have all of them.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Arishtat posted:

Oh those magnetic rails are a good idea. I should grab a few for my toolbox.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The Hansen trays are incredible, but not if you have a habit of bringing socket rails to the work. They're better if left in the drawer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Too clean. My dirty and stained workbench top feels self conscious now.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Hypnolobster posted:

The Hansen trays are incredible, but not if you have a habit of bringing socket rails to the work. They're better if left in the drawer.

Agreed. I can’t stand rails for in my tool box. I’d rather have a nice little cut out to plunk them into. That being said, I just ordered a panel and inserts from the tool grid system, hopefully it’s as nice as it looks.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Frank Dillinger posted:

Agreed. I can’t stand rails for in my tool box. I’d rather have a nice little cut out to plunk them into. That being said, I just ordered a panel and inserts from the tool grid system, hopefully it’s as nice as it looks.

Check out magnetic socket organizers then. Ares Tools makes these: https://www.arestool.com/collections/socket-organizers

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Years ago I had to replace the thermostat in my Lexus SC400. Depite several attempts to re-fill the cooling system using ramps and one of those "spill-free funnels" I never managed to get the system 100% burped. The result was heat that would blow cool air when you slowed down to a stop. I lived with it because I rarely drove the L-train in cold weather anyway.

A few weeks ago I had to replace the radiator in my 1993 Toyota Pickup. I bought one of those vacuum-powered coolant fillers to do that job after seeing Watch Wes Work rave about it on Youtube. I also bought a used Matco cooling system tester and used that to confirm the leaky radiator in the truck.

During my lunch break I hooked up the vacuum contraption to my Lexus' overflow tank, drew a vacuum, and then let the gadget top off the system. For the first time in literal years I had consistent, hot heat in the L-train. Woo woo. I didn't even have to jack up the front end or run the engine at 2000 rpm long enough to warm up the coolant or anything. $80 for a gadget to fill coolant seems ridiculous to me, but not having to run the engine up to operating temperature makes for pretty good time savings, even for a home-gamer like me.

I watched another video of an Astro Pneumatic tool set that shares parts between the cooling system pressure tester and the vacuum filler. I spent about the same amount of money on the two tools as I would have for that set and ended up with a more versatile test set up (more pressure adapters). Oh well.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 17, 2021

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Arishtat posted:

Check out magnetic socket organizers then. Ares Tools makes these: https://www.arestool.com/collections/socket-organizers

I have a bunch of Hansen Global socket organizers that are the peg style organizers and the they’re perfect for my set of chrome and impact 1/4,3/8 and 1/2 sockets but I have a ton of torx, hex and e-torx sockets in varying lengths and sizes that I can’t find an off the shelf/one size fits all solution for. My options currently seem to be either making my own with shadow foam (very nice, but can’t reconfigure without doing it all over again) or tool grid, which is easier to redo but the sockets snap into it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've looked at the westling machine trays for my torx/allen/misc closed end sockets. Seems like they'd be a good complement to the Hanson peg trays I use for all the other sockets, though I've started adding mid-depth metrics to my collection now, so I need to do something else there.

https://westlingmachine.com/collections/universal-socket-trays

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
I have these and love them, it also looks like snap on is branding them for themselves as well:

https://www.ernstmfg.com/Socket-Organizer-Trays-Socket-Boss.aspx

Super convenient to just unsnap the whole rail and take it with you.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I need a fire extinguisher. I take it the larger the bottle the longer time you spray / what's a good rule of thumb for size? ABC rated? Thanks

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Virgil Vox posted:

I need a fire extinguisher. I take it the larger the bottle the longer time you spray / what's a good rule of thumb for size? ABC rated? Thanks

Please call your local Fire Extinguisher Company for anything other than a small household extinguisher you would keep in the kitchen. They will have the one you need for the type of fire..uh...expected.. and/or valuable equipment you don't want ruined by the chemicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Your local fire department should also have the knowledge to fill you in based on application.