Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

these days the exaggerated cutesy girl voice is getting rarer and rarer. most of holo eng gen 2 sound extremely natural and i rarely hear it from jp vtubers anyway. feel like it was an affectation that they did more out of thinking it was needed than it actually being needed.

i like how selen sounds like shes drunk and plays apex 200 times a day. i will not post in a vtuber thread if one is made.
but isn't anime voice still a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibblebibble posted:

you can have the job if you want

Are you stepping down

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

also here's rainbow because it's just so loving good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hZ8uMRmRI0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

but isn't anime voice still a thing?

i mean a little? but not nearly as much or common. and even the people who do do it are doing it on a way more casual level. listen to clips of like, hololive gen 1 or 2 in their debuts versus now. its dialed down a ton even if a couple of them are still doing a voice.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Compare what kotori in love live sounds like versus what her voice actress is doing now

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

i mean a little? but not nearly as much or common. and even the people who do do it are doing it on a way more casual level. listen to clips of like, hololive gen 1 or 2 in their debuts versus now. its dialed down a ton even if a couple of them are still doing a voice.
are we talking about the same "anime voice as a contrast to how japanese is spoken in japan"?

i don't mind doing a voice for a role, that's what voice actors are paid for - it's just that there's always a large portion of people who think anime is how japanese people speak (though i'd hope nobody here believes that)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

only I have the brains to rule lylat

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

are we talking about the same "anime voice as a contrast to how japanese is spoken in japan"?

i don't mind doing a voice for a role, that's what voice actors are paid for - it's just that there's always a large portion of people who think anime is how japanese people speak (though i'd hope nobody here believes that)

what the gently caress does this mean lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

i like how selen sounds like shes drunk and plays apex 200 times a day. i will not post in a vtuber thread if one is made.

I can never quite place her accent but her laughter is infections and she's fun like that

anyway sub to hana macchia or no dusk 2

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dont learn japanese from himemori luna, folks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

what the gently caress does this mean lol
eh, they probably mean that anime voice acting is often very exaggerated and not how japanese people actually talk. like imagine assuming everyone in america talks like a marvel movie character. all dramatic pauses and quick snarky asides.

that said its pretty impossible for anyone to keep up 'sounding like an anime girl' for hours on end multiple days a week so most vtubers sound pretty conversational, even the ones who are pitching their voice up a bit to be cuter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

dont learn japanese from himemori luna, folks

do learn english from her though

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Are you stepping down

If someone legit wants to be an IK I don't mind, I haven't really been doing anything much lately. ADTRW is a pretty quiet subforum. Probably wouldn't be the best for me to be in charge of any new vtuber thread because I made the old ones and well you can see how those turned out.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibblebibble posted:

If someone legit wants to be an IK I don't mind, I haven't really been doing anything much lately. ADTRW is a pretty quiet subforum. Probably wouldn't be the best for me to be in charge of any new vtuber thread because I made the old ones and well you can see how those turned out.

I appreciate the help with watching over things this year. For what it's worth, I don't blame you for the v-tuber threads getting out of hand, I should have been more strict and harsher with the moderation in that thread. I shouldn't be afraid to just give posters the boot and tell them they aren't welcome to post anymore if they're being creeps.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Heck a raspy/middle aged woman/manly mismatched voice coming out of a magical anime girl pic would be funnier

Truly, the progenitor of the next generation of Vtubers is Dr. Mrs. The Monarch.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

halo is still tite

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Fair. I think "analysis" might be more what I was looking for.

I watched a video by Folding Ideas that looked at both endings under a few different lenses and it was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Sorry to ruffle any feathers. Hope you guys have fun with EW, I'm still in post-HW content.

i don't think it was much of a deal, just playing something like devil's advocate there. anime explainer content... i just don't come across it enough to have a strong negative response, and in some cases i think there are mitigating factors :shrug:

Evangelion is a good example of this issue i have tbh. it's got plenty of Lore and other babble, stuff which comprises a part of its identity and world. but at some point having oblique references to the mechanics of Impacts or someone using The Key of Nebuchadnezzar, it's just flavorful bullshit that is not actually carrying themes or the emotional core of a thing. as surface elements that seem Important, they can be stumbling blocks that make you feel a need to decode and order (even if you "know better" imo!).

ultimately, rewatching was a big help for Eva, just not a thing i feel like doing for everything. maybe similar to your situation, finding discussion more about a series as a whole or focused below the surface feels like it helps orient the part of me still baffled by the puzzle of surface elements in a way that throws my deeper takes on stuff into question ("am i missing something here?"). though it's also pretty common to just enjoy the process of seeing others' analysis.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so basically the platonic ideal of an explainer is... still useless to me? but i guess i see it partially emerging from a similar bafflement with the differing levels a show may be operating on. the most recent explainer i actually came across was for Sommy Boy, totally get why that series would leave people confused with all the surreality and dimensional travel words even though they don't matter

if people are just Into Lore (def a thing for Eva at least) well, that's fine too

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

like imagine assuming everyone in america talks like a marvel movie character. all dramatic pauses and quick snarky asides.

gasp

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i watched layna lazar play inscryption today, was fun

that my vtuber update

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Jo Jo Thoughts:

I must have missed how Fugo was able to avoid all of the battles and how Bucaratti started to die inside to the point where he couldn't feel anything.

I think the biggest thing that shocked me from Stone Ocean episode 1 was Jojo having been in a relationship long enough to get married...not that he would be a deadbeat dad

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got the funny TV mount. I have beaten Endwalker.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

me to everyone posting about vtubers

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

you can have the job if you want

👀

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Several vtubers have changed their voices since they got their start. A few (Snuffy, Suisei, etc.) have mentioned they were in danger of straining their throats with their "production voices" and just stopped using them.

Snuffy's voice in particular dropped about two octaves and she gained a whole new audience for it.

In all of HoloEN, I think the only people who are actually "doing a voice" are Kiara and Fauna.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That said I do hope that the fanbase evolves in a positive way and learns a modicum of tact, like Always Sunny fans instead of crashing and burning like Rick & Morty fans.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

not a fan of vtubers who do the really exaggerated cutesy anime girl voice. then again i assume they’re doing it so people can’t identify them irl/their management make em do it to match the character or whatever

Heck a raspy/middle aged woman/manly mismatched voice coming out of a magical anime girl pic would be funnier

Do you mean like this or were you thinking of something like really sparkly and colorful and cute like they came out of Studio Ghibli or Sanrio's design templates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-X0f21kLzo&t=146s

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Explainers that are overly focused on Lore Implications are stupid, yes, but I understand why someone might want to get some actual analysis to help them decode or at least digest something that expresses its themes a bit more abstractly than they're used to. Not everyone has the experience or vocabulary to read a work in that way, so a good analysis can be a starting point, a place that invites them to think a little more deeply and make their own connections.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I've no strong feelings on vtubers, but definitely feel that someone who wants a thread should have the courage to :justpost: it and eat whatever probe that results in.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Currently listening to the best Monogatari OP

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Brutal Garcon posted:

Currently listening to the best Monogatari OP

I was at a shabu shabu joint last week for lunch, and they had a mega-anime Spotify list playing, starting with Circulation as soon as I sat down right into Jonathan Young’s cover of the OPM theme.

I knew I was in a good place. The food was also incredible.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Boa - Duvet

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Mirage posted:

Several vtubers have changed their voices since they got their start. A few (Snuffy, Suisei, etc.) have mentioned they were in danger of straining their throats with their "production voices" and just stopped using them.

Snuffy's voice in particular dropped about two octaves and she gained a whole new audience for it.

In all of HoloEN, I think the only people who are actually "doing a voice" are Kiara and Fauna.

I can't believe Subaru has been getting away with duck voice for so long, it sounds vocal cord ruining.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
superior vtuber voices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNxb421Z20c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4c9_UIO-ZA

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
now here's some vtuber voices worth listening to

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpotlessFriendlyDeerTheTarFu-ye1QBF3XpTMT-7QF

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7011654070222081285

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9awpoiiVe0

i don't even like Dark Souls, but just fuckin look at All-Bones Jones over there

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

they sound like babies

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

what if u sound like a baby

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Am I… a baby???

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

now here's some vtuber voices worth listening to

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpotlessFriendlyDeerTheTarFu-ye1QBF3XpTMT-7QF

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7011654070222081285

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9awpoiiVe0

i don't even like Dark Souls, but just fuckin look at All-Bones Jones over there

Hearing these in english just hammers in the gimmicky nature of it. These are just some guys

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mycophobia posted:

they sound like babies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oomyu-7BJGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

mycophobia posted:

they sound like babies

Luna is playing a baby character, and Miko just has too short of a tongue or something