Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Countblanc posted:

I'm #50XXX and haven't got my tracking number yet. Sad times for this patient gamer.

On Reddit people have been posting their info and it seems really scattershot. There’s no rhyme or reason to when they get shipped.

You can use FedEx Advanced Tracking to see if a label is inbound to your address. My Pocket showed up there this morning finally and I got an email from them an hour later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Interesting. I'd use one if it dropped in my lap, but I don't think the slightly better performance is worth the 3x jump in price over the mighty MUB.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Interesting. I'd use one if it dropped in my lap, but I don't think the slightly better performance is worth the 3x jump in price over the mighty MUB.
Oh yeah, they were a better deal when you could get them for about $100 but now the price has gone up and they're all $120-150. However you can still get an ODROID N2 (same chipset) with a case for about $70 plus shipping from Hardkernel, which makes it a comparable deal to a Jetson Nano.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I can't really justify a $400 Pocket having spent $600 on a Deck but me and my beat up Micro will be cheering you all on

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Marx Headroom posted:

I can't really justify a $400 Pocket having spent $600 on a Deck but me and my beat up Micro Advance SP will be cheering you all on
:same:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoNqkXE8dU

RG552 Tested:

Sega Saturn - Radiant Silvergun, Dragon Force & Panzer Dragoon II Zwei

PSP - God of Wars Chains of Olympus, Tomb Raider Anniversary

GameCube - Animal Crossing & Eternal Darkness!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah PSP is a no (well some lower games will run) and GC is a hell no lol

Everything else is going to look fantastic though from what I’ve seen.

Super scaled GB and GBA please.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i finally upgraded my 351m from the final build of arkos to the latest 351elec and wow it's a massive improvement. i honestly didn't know it could be this much better lol

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My most recent 552 tracking info is just straight up "waiting for a flight"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m really hoping mine is here before Christmas but I’m not gonna hold my breath on that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Weedle posted:

i finally upgraded my 351m from the final build of arkos to the latest 351elec and wow it's a massive improvement. i honestly didn't know it could be this much better lol

What are the differences? My 351p works ok, but would love a significant positive change.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The United States posted:

Oh yeah, they were a better deal when you could get them for about $100 but now the price has gone up and they're all $120-150. However you can still get an ODROID N2 (same chipset) with a case for about $70 plus shipping from Hardkernel, which makes it a comparable deal to a Jetson Nano.

gently caress, so I watched the RGC video about this and now I'm having second thoughts. Good Saturn and Dreamcast performance would be really nice.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fza6RCIP5OE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3pDSKyxEE

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

gently caress, so I watched the RGC video about this and now I'm having second thoughts. Good Saturn and Dreamcast performance would be really nice.
There's always something better. If it's not a more powerful AMLOGIC then it's an NVIDIA, and if it's not an NVIDIA it's an X86, etc. If you replace it with something better you can always just put only kids games on the old box away to a relative with kids, or donate it to a thrift shop, etc.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 15, 2021

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Weedle posted:

Were you able to get Mame and NeoGeo stuff to work on 351m running 351elec? Even going through all the preloaded emulators I couldn't get anything to launch.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Vakal posted:

Were you able to get Mame and NeoGeo stuff to work on 351m running 351elec? Even going through all the preloaded emulators I couldn't get anything to launch.

FinalBurnAlpha should work for a good number of arcade games and like all of NeoGeo. You just need the right romset though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

rp2+ pcb finally shipped, i'll probably document the upgrade process (although i think most people in here were not very into the rp2)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Declan MacManus posted:

rp2+ pcb finally shipped, i'll probably document the upgrade process (although i think most people in here were not very into the rp2)
Taki Udon covered most of it but there are cuts and things he left out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEYVqa9F0oo&t=375s

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Nice. Hopefully the full units ship soon.

Where did yours ship from?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MarcusSA posted:

Nice. Hopefully the full units ship soon.

Where did yours ship from?

somewhere in dongguan; still probably won't actually be in my hands for another couple of weeks but if i get it before the new year i'll consider it a victory

still, not outrageous given the shortages plaguing basically every electronics manufacturer

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

RG552 has arrived stateside. Looking at past stuff from 4PX, it’s cleared customs in a day (which I doubt this will) and then delivered to me in three days.

So, with good luck, I’ll have this right before Christmas. I highly doubt I will solely off the merit of USPS and Christmas being arch rivals.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

RG552 has arrived stateside. Looking at past stuff from 4PX, it’s cleared customs in a day (which I doubt this will) and then delivered to me in three days.

So, with good luck, I’ll have this right before Christmas. I highly doubt I will solely off the merit of USPS and Christmas being arch rivals.

Man I’m jealous. Mine is still in limbo.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Man I’m jealous. Mine is still in limbo.

With the typical USPS holiday backlog, there’s a decent chance we’ll just end up getting ours at the same time. Did you pop your tracking number into 17track? Via the Shop app, my tracking info is pretty outdated, but 17track has the updated info. Even links to the 4PX site where it spat out a USPS tracking number.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

With the typical USPS holiday backlog, there’s a decent chance we’ll just end up getting ours at the same time. Did you pop your tracking number into 17track? Via the Shop app, my tracking info is pretty outdated, but 17track has the updated info. Even links to the 4PX site where it spat out a USPS tracking number.

Yeah I did and it never worked lol. I had to use my PC and the 4x site for anything to pop up.

I’ll have to check it again in the morning.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
If parcelsapp is legit, then my PCB is already in the US and has a USPS tracking number. No idea why 17track wasn't working.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
My RG552 came yesterday from Droix in the UK. First impressions:

- Like pretty much everyone else I love the screen. It's almost a little oversaturated but they made a great choice of panel for the resolution as GBA and Mega Drive in particular scale super well on it specifically because it's slightly taller than 1080. The video screensaver on Linux where it plays the little videos you get from Screenscraper is terrific. Game info/selection screens on Linux are also way better in terms of format.
- It's pretty heavy and chunky, more than you might expect. It came with a hard case which is clearly for a Switch Lite; I put mine in and it fit perfectly.
- The whole thing works so much faster than the 3226 based devices in Linux. Maybe three seconds to start a game now. Fast forward performance is also much better, which is almost a shame as I just played through Surging Aura on the 351 which has a lot of waiting around in normal battles.
- Linux as a whole feels pretty half finished. I managed to toast the install by trying to change the UI type and redefine the hotkey buttons. PS1 emulation also doesn't accept CHD files for some reason, even though others do. I'm also getting little skips and stutters here and there that I've not managed to track down.
- Latency in Linux, at least the build from the 9th, is pretty decent.
- HDMI definitely works and though you need to reboot to get it working on Linux it's quick enough that it's not a massive hassle.
- I've messed around with Android less, mostly because the fan goes from noticeable in Linux to obnoxious in Android, often ramping very high. IIRC in Taki's video even if he unplugged the fan it didn't get especially hot so I think there'll be some more reasonable settings in the future. It's not too high pitched, especially at lower levels, so having it on at a low level should be just fine.
- The Android build I got actually has the Play Store but I'm not too confident putting my Google details into it. It's surprisingly snappy though, with stuff loading quickly.
- Getting out of stuff in Android is a pain because the screen is a little inset on the device so it has trouble working out when you are swiping up to bring up the controls.
- It does say it only accepts 9-12V power on the back and I'm tempted to believe it; the charge light doesn't come on at all with a 5V charger in Linux and while it says it's charging in Android the battery continued running down.
- The battery life is pretty poor, but at least it does seem to be a reasonably accurate reading this time around.
- The sound output is still pretty noisy but the speakers are an improvement on earlier models.

Overall I'm pretty happy. I picked mine up for the Linux functionality and I can see how that can get to a very good place reasonably quickly especially since the menus in Linux literally say it's the Pine64 RockPro64 version. I am a bit tempted to see if there's a discount on the GPD XP over Christmas though, I didn't know it had a PS Vita dpad on it...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Asked last year and asking again this year :) What is the best large screen handheld for under $150? Would like to grab for MIL

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Not sure if the screen is big enough but I'd suggest the RGB 10 Max or Max 2. It's 5 inch but widescreen so it really depends on what systems she's wanting to play. GBA for example uses most of the screen and is nice and big.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Asked last year and asking again this year :) What is the best large screen handheld for under $150? Would like to grab for MIL

Probably this

https://youtu.be/A6Nm3a8tPL8

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7GXZ2wpA9U

flavor.flv posted:

Powkiddy v90 just keeps winning

That famiclone with the wireless controllers looks cool though, I was looking at something similar on ali the other day, just in a different form factor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os-x96ck44g

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 16, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Gameboy clone sucked me off?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drat this is sold out already but looks drat good for the $50 (ish) price.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This looks promising once it gets some community support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ghGbwu-1-0

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

MarcusSA posted:

drat this is sold out already but looks drat good for the $50 (ish) price.

I really lucked out and ordered it a few days ago. I'm glad to see Taki liked it so much. I'll be curious to hear Russ' thoughts if he gets a hold of one. I'll def post my impressions once it comes in!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

flavor.flv posted:

This looks promising once it gets some community support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ghGbwu-1-0
It's a nice compact form factor but have any Pandoras Box systems ever gotten community support? I just assume they're hard to satisfactorily mod or mess with.

Declan MacManus posted:

Someone on Reddit just received theirs and posted a picture:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's not a pandora box, it's made by powkiddy and the firmware and roms are on an sd card

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Normally I don't care much for the super tiny handhelds, but drat that's pretty impressive, especially for how cheap it is

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Even the display's retro, being an old Blackberry Bold one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

flavor.flv posted:

It's not a pandora box, it's made by powkiddy and the firmware and roms are on an sd card
Just going by what he called it

uiruki posted:

Even the display's retro, being an old Blackberry Bold one.
It's a good thing these retro handhelds are able to reuse old parts like this, otherwise they wouldn't be so cheap

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Chemmy posted:

On Reddit people have been posting their info and it seems really scattershot. There’s no rhyme or reason to when they get shipped.

You can use FedEx Advanced Tracking to see if a label is inbound to your address. My Pocket showed up there this morning finally and I got an email from them an hour later.

I didn't get paid til today, so I only just got to order it this morning. I'm assuming I won't see one til 2023, so I may cancel the order.

But then, they may never be "in stock", so if I ever want one I might as well keep my place in line. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

The United States posted:

It's a good thing these retro handhelds are able to reuse old parts like this, otherwise they wouldn't be so cheap

It also means it's a 'proper' landscape display rather than a modern phone one being rotated, which can cause issues, especially with unusual tearing which Taki mentions as being a big pain on other small low cost devices. The Analogue Pocket uses the same display panel as the Valve Index, which is why it's so good.