Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/AntiVaxPostingL/status/1471312506144444418?s=20

which account was he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

brugroffil posted:

Getting arrested for cheesecake factory and Applebee's

On one hand, more evidence that they don’t give a gently caress about their health and wouldn’t care if they lost their sense of taste.

On the other hand, they clearly don’t mind injecting mass-manufactured substances into their bodies that make them feel like poo poo the next day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cheesecake Factory is one of America’s least bad chain restaurants. :can:

It’s not saying much, but it’s true.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:hmmrona:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
If you go into Manhattan and decide to eat at Applebee's you should be arrested anyway, vaccine or not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My dad and his coworkers did that with an actual Channel 7 news crew that was doing a best pizza in new York thing when he worked for UPS. "Best pizza in the city? Pizza hut. "

Years before the office.

Different lunch break, different news crew, different year, they got approached by cameras and the real Cosmo Kramer who was running for mayor and he asks "will you vote for me?" and my dad says "It depends on your platform, give me one of your flyers." and the real Cosmo Kramer says "I can't. I only got the one." Very funny but didn't air because the guy my dad was with called Kramer a loving idiot.

We haven't been in to the city since 2019 and are going in saturday because my wife and I haven't had a night to ourselves in two years but I'm nervous. My friend who is vaccinated just contracted it and tested positive after going to Nitehawk, which checks cards and she mentioned friends who are vaxxed going to vaccinated only events and now testing positive. We might just stay in the hotel most of the time, I don't know.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

brugroffil posted:

tell me you're american without telling me.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

kntfkr posted:

If you go into Manhattan and decide to eat at Applebee's you should be arrested anyway, vaccine or not.
https://twitter.com/WillSasso/status/1004821703426535427?s=20

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
found out from mom that not only my engineer uncle and his wife, my aunt, have still yet to get vaxxed, but my loving doctor aunt and uncle are also not vaxxed.

The latter aunt is rumored to have “early retired” from her decades long practice because of this, and is considering moving to TN for reasons peculiar. This was accidentally slipped during thanksgiving so we’re not to know!!

happy holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E: guess the flavor of Christianity they subscribe to!!!!!

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 16, 2021

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

teen witch posted:

found out from mom that not only my engineer uncle and his wife, my aunt, have still yet to get vaxxed, but my loving doctor aunt and uncle are also not vaxxed.

The latter aunt is rumored to have “early retired” from her decades long practice because of this, and is considering moving to TN for reasons peculiar. This was accidentally slipped during thanksgiving so we’re not to know!!

happy holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E: guess the flavor of Christianity they subscribe to!!!!!

I’m glad my huge chud parents are fully committed to vaccines and boosting. My dad complains about it often (for some reason he likes to call them “weak rear end vaccines” and compare them unfavorably to natural immunity?) but still gets his shots because better the vaccine immunity than rolling the dice of a COVID infection at 67 years old and overweight.

One of those increasingly rare cases of self-preservation overruling tribal allegiance, I guess.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cretin90 posted:

I’m glad my huge chud parents are fully committed to vaccines and boosting. My dad complains about it often (for some reason he likes to call them “weak rear end vaccines” and compare them unfavorably to natural immunity?) but still gets his shots because better the vaccine immunity than rolling the dice of a COVID infection at 67 years old and overweight.

One of those increasingly rare cases of self-preservation overruling tribal allegiance, I guess.

I have zero clue about chuddad and don’t want to know (we’re estranged).

I’m ever so grateful my mother, who has worked in a non nurse healthcare position for decades, is on her shots and boosters, and ensures my grandparents are as well. My mom laughed in my aunt’s face when apparently a ~radiologist~ told her about the vaccine and how she doesn’t need it. I’d do the same exact thing, mom :hfive:

Silver lining: my incredibly religious aunts and uncles can never visit me in the EU, and bear witness to my blasphemous lifestyle in the flesh. Saves me the loving hassle.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Are they letting people boost before six months?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

GIRL BRAINS posted:

I’m skeptical, but either that or I might see if I can go for a double vaxx. Or at least see if I can get my proof of vaccination in the EU onto a white card just in case some idiot cannot comprehend the EU pass.

Like whatever inroad I can get, I’ll take. I haven’t been outside Sweden since Jan 2020, so I feel like I’m actually experiencing the pandemic for the first time.

People are mandated to wear masks indoors (NYS just brought back the rule), and like, even with my layover in Finland, I’m existing in places where this is taken seriously and not just existing on the goodwill of “recommendations”. It truly is a night and day difference. These are the first instances, minus getting vaccinated, where I am required to mask up, or face a fine. It is December goddamn 2021 and that isn’t ok!

I think a lot of this is my mental exhaustion dealing with this pandemic. I loving masked up. I did my due diligence, got tested when I suspected the first sign, got vaxxed asap, and played it smart to the best of my abilities. I missed out on so much because of this pandemic. And we are still loving here because others refuse to do the most basic of precautions, for themselves or for their fellow human. That those who are to lead us will cower behind rules that hurt us more than help us because they are rules and are thus clearly inert and unable to be changed in the face of new information or situations.

None of this is an entirely Swedish issue, many places are just “eh whatever”ing this and abdicating our shared humanity out of cowardice, ignorance and the refusal to admit that you might have been wrong. It’s ok to gently caress up, cop to it and try to do better. Don’t keep doing the same drat wrong thing again to soothe your ego.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GIRL BRAINS posted:

have you known anyone to enforce anything ever?

we're long since the days of teenaged girls dressing up like old women

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Hector Delgado posted:

I have social anxiety and the mask helps alot. It's a security blanket for me I guess.

i recently got a silicone half mask respirator and oh my godddd its a world of difference anxiety-wise when grocery shopping. best thing i've purchased in a long time.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

lol will sasso fuckin rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDfL1ck8-WU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Welp. My dad is in the hospital for a chronic health condition and can’t go home for a bit. Even when he can leave there, he needs to go to inpatient physical rehab for a few weeks. He received a booster shot in August, so I am not sure how protected he is. My mom was also boosted at the same time but is immunosuppressed. I can’t help because they’re on the other side of the country, so all I can really do is send encouragement and cross my fingers.

It seems almost inevitable that they’ll get omicron given the circumstances. I sure hope I’m wrong though!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it from the outside, but is the US panicking as much abiut Omicron as Canada is?

I'm in Toronto and the news and government are completely in panic mode and we just released extremely scary modelling numbers and upped everyone's booster to 3 months with an expected lock down of some kind being announced tomorrow.

But when I look at twitter and US news it seems like it's barely being mentioned? Is it just delayed because this is the first time Canada is surging before the US?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

teen witch posted:

I think a lot of this is my mental exhaustion dealing with this pandemic. I loving masked up. I did my due diligence, got tested when I suspected the first sign, got vaxxed asap, and played it smart to the best of my abilities. I missed out on so much because of this pandemic. And we are still loving here because others refuse to do the most basic of precautions, for themselves or for their fellow human. That those who are to lead us will cower behind rules that hurt us more than help us because they are rules and are thus clearly inert and unable to be changed in the face of new information or situations.

None of this is an entirely Swedish issue, many places are just “eh whatever”ing this and abdicating our shared humanity out of cowardice, ignorance and the refusal to admit that you might have been wrong. It’s ok to gently caress up, cop to it and try to do better. Don’t keep doing the same drat wrong thing again to soothe your ego.

:same:

Just a bunch of loving assholes surrounding us

couldn't wear a loving piece of cloth over their noses for a bit

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Dacap posted:

Maybe I'm just not seeing it from the outside, but is the US panicking as much abiut Omicron as Canada is?

I'm in Toronto and the news and government are completely in panic mode and we just released extremely scary modelling numbers and upped everyone's booster to 3 months with an expected lock down of some kind being announced tomorrow.

But when I look at twitter and US news it seems like it's barely being mentioned? Is it just delayed because this is the first time Canada is surging before the US?

News is starting to pick up in the US, but it's still the early stages, and true to form, panic and security theater doesn't happen until the new variant is well settled in.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Xanderkish posted:

News is starting to pick up in the US, but it's still the early stages, and true to form, panic and security theater doesn't happen until the new variant is well settled in.

Yeah Ontario seems to be getting in front of this better than it has past waves, probably because there's an election in 6 months.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Dacap posted:

UK is full on some sort of weird dismissive and yet very :ducksiren: mode.

Like, the gubmint is clearly mega spooked by the numbers and projections to the degree of begging people to get boosters yet you can go out in London tomorrow and find every pub, venue and club be rammed with people. The "show vaccine proof or negative lf test" guidance is good but, you know, lf registry is based on honor system and like people with vaccines getting this poo poo as easy as everyone else now or at least it feels like it. Work from home "guidance" is not a mandate but as far as central London goes, it seems like majority of the companies go by it.

Basically, if you listen the news, we're back to 2020 Christmas. If you go outside, it's 2019 with some additional mandates. Christmas and January is absolutely going to be an absolute shitshow, regardless if they go full on SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING which sounds near impossible at this point.

Idk man, poo poo's hosed up in here as well :smith:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

brugroffil posted:

"Applebee's, cattle rustling, Applebee's, and murder."

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Dacap posted:

Not the news, but my work sent out some forced memes in emails about happily returning to the office in January in an attempt to make the return all cutesy and none of my coworkers are having it. Word around the digital office cooler is middle management and up will still get to WFH indefinitely.

If it wouldn't get me fired I was tempted to send in one that was all, "Omicron? No the machine must feast on your labor, some of you will catch it and be maimed and even die, but our shareholders demand your sacrifice. Only the weak will die, the glorious will earn us more money."

I can't imagine that's a unique situation for most other Americans at least in the private sector.

All the news coverage I've seen about omicron has been playing up that deadly wrong myth that, "it's less dangerous to catch it if you're vaccinated, but more contagious so it'll outcompete delta and viruses always get weaker over time."

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Upper management made everyone in my company go back to the office full time in December. We got like a week's notice, too, so good luck if you had to make arrangements for child care. The justification was that we need to make our presence known in person, whatever that means.

And yes, everyone in upper management is still working from home. We had a big zoom meeting last week and everyone more than one step above me was very obviously in their house. They're requiring masks and I'm vaxxed and boosted and all, but holy poo poo the blatant hypocrisy is insane.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the tiny fart at the end really seals it

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

My office saved so much money on office supplies and real estate with remote work that they renovated out 2/3 of our office space and basically said we're WFH forever.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I think my job knows if they ever try to re-add an office policy, the entire engineering team will quit.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I think my job knows if they ever try to re-add an office policy, the entire engineering team will quit.

but what about in office culture

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I donated blood today and the manager dude told me my blood is in an expedite bag to go directly to a child

I said you’re welcome but internally i was thinking I hope this blood goes to a kid whose parents are antivax and they throw a fit about it but end up agreeing, and then it gives them acid indigestion.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cretin90 posted:

I donated blood today and the manager dude told me my blood is in an expedite bag to go directly to a child

I said you’re welcome but internally i was thinking I hope this blood goes to a kid whose parents are antivax and they throw a fit about it but end up agreeing, and then it gives them acid indigestion.

Actually I should maybe see if I am eligible while I’m here. My iron is garbage but sometimes I pass, plus I’m O+

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

teen witch posted:

Actually I should maybe see if I am eligible while I’m here. My iron is garbage but sometimes I pass, plus I’m O+

Supposedly there’s a huge shortage. There’s always a shortage, but apparently right now it’s a Huge Shortage.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cretin90 posted:

Supposedly there’s a huge shortage. There’s always a shortage, but apparently right now it’s a Huge Shortage.

Yeah, winter's always a bad time, but with donors (and the vampires) having to isolate it's particularly grim.

I've got an appointment to give on the 31st which at least should save me some money on booze that night.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

https://vimeo.com/41093599

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Petey posted:

oh my god, multiple pcr tests can't pick up omicron at all https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...omicron-reduced

So uh, turns out we might be flying even more blind on Omicron than we thought. Three of our (USA) PCR tests fail to pick up Omi apparently.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm back in office one day a week, masks are required, vaxx or negative test are required to come in, etc. It's fine but we all prefer working from home. I really hope we get to go back to that full time soon.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

bagmonkey posted:

I'm back in office one day a week, masks are required, vaxx or negative test are required to come in, etc. It's fine but we all prefer working from home. I really hope we get to go back to that full time soon.

Did anyone tell your company that cases are up a ton and we're still at a worse point than all of 2020 when things were bad enough to send people home?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Objective Action posted:

So uh, turns out we might be flying even more blind on Omicron than we thought. Three of our (USA) PCR tests fail to pick up Omi apparently.

gently caress. Between this and replicating 70x more quickly in the bronchi, I think we found out why it's spreading so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

Did anyone tell your company that cases are up a ton and we're still at a worse point than all of 2020 when things were bad enough to send people home?

:shrug: My last job, which I left in the middle of the pandemic, has 9000+ people crammed into three buildings with no social distancing, no mask mandate, no vaccine mandate, no positive case reporting to exposed employees, you catch the drift. Sooooo, I'm pretty thankful I go into the office once a week with about 20 other people, all but one of which is vaccinated