Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I played hockey tonight.
After I ran a marathon yesterday.

My legs are loving dead.

You monster, how dare you shame the rest of our lack of fitness. Also totally badass though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been doing pretty good with 20 minutes on a spin bike every day for most of this year. I'm no faster on the ice but dang a bit of straight cardio works wonders for keeping those legs feeling fresh. Maybe not marathon fresh but running is for chumps anyways.

Sometimes I take a bike out on the trails around here but it's Illinois, there isn't a single hill for 50 miles. It doesn't really feel like work.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My team had only 6 guys last Friday for our game. Other team had like 12. We won somehow. Got up a few goals early and just turtled to a 3-2 win.

Then my dumbass got up and played ball hockey the next morning. I was gassed after.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We just had a team get together at the bar at the rink before their game. I stayed and watched the game. It really sucks not playing but it's nice to talk to everybody again.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Lmao we were outshot 53-10 and still won in a shootout. Our goalie was incredible and the goalie's daughter ended up scoring the shootout winner.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Are there any YouTube channels that are the hockey version of Thinking Basketball? https://www.youtube.com/c/ThinkingBasketball Breakdowns of individual players and things like that?

Played center on a low-ranked team last night and boy oh boy it's hard playing center on a team that can't pass or backcheck or breakout.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

scuz posted:

Are there any YouTube channels that are the hockey version of Thinking Basketball? https://www.youtube.com/c/ThinkingBasketball Breakdowns of individual players and things like that?

Played center on a low-ranked team last night and boy oh boy it's hard playing center on a team that can't pass or backcheck or breakout.

What is this backcheck you speak of. I have only heard it rumored of in the oral histories of other player's youth.

I always tell everyone it's a very bad sign when I am the forward backchecking often because it meant I made a bad breakout pass.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Playing d and took a slap shot right under my chest protector in the ribs near the end of our game tonight. Gonna be feeling that tomorrow.

On the plus side we won and I scored a goal and set one up.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Ginette Reno posted:

Playing d and took a slap shot right under my chest protector in the ribs near the end of our game tonight. Gonna be feeling that tomorrow.

I stopped wearing shoulder pads and this is my main worry but it's only happened like once in 4 years (though that one really sucked).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I took a slapshot to the high chest a ways back, had a nasty bruise for a couple weeks, the comments in the locker room were a lot of "uh maybe you should get a better chest protector dude."

The real injury though? I was nowhere near the net. I was at a faceoff dot and the shot came from the top of the circle.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

I stopped wearing shoulder pads and this is my main worry but it's only happened like once in 4 years (though that one really sucked).

You're a brave man. I would never not do that playing defense. It's not even like I'm trying to block all shots NHL style but sometimes you just can't get out of the way.

xzzy posted:

I took a slapshot to the high chest a ways back, had a nasty bruise for a couple weeks, the comments in the locker room were a lot of "uh maybe you should get a better chest protector dude."

The real injury though? I was nowhere near the net. I was at a faceoff dot and the shot came from the top of the circle.

I was at the side of the net boxing out one of their forwards and the defenseman that took the shot just missed kinda badly I guess since I wasn't right in front of the goal or anything.

I have a decent bruise today but it's not too bad. I honestly can't even loving imagine what it would be like to block an NHL shot. We have some ex minor league pro players that play in our summer A league sometimes and one of them has an absolute loving rocket. I remember playing him 1v1 once and he wound up and blasted a shot bar down using me as a screen. I was pretty much praying that he wouldn't hit me with it because if he had I would have crumpled like a piece of tin.

Thankfully our non summer league has good players but not usually ex pros so I might take some lumps from shots but there's not usually anyone out there that has a pro type of cannon.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I thought about it for a while and came to the decision that a chest protector is such a minimal piece of gear and for the sternum and shoulder protection, it's better for me to leave it on vs any gains/comfort of having it off. I feel the same way about the cage/visor. I've seen enough facial cuts and broken teeth to convince me a cage is the only way for beer league.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

xzzy posted:

when I was playing goal I took a slapshot from this guy who used to play for Colorado College and it gave me like a 5 inch square bruise around my shoulder, I had a good chest protector too

Verman posted:

I thought about it for a while and came to the decision that a chest protector is such a minimal piece of gear and for the sternum and shoulder protection, it's better for me to leave it on vs any gains/comfort of having it off. I feel the same way about the cage/visor. I've seen enough facial cuts and broken teeth to convince me a cage is the only way for beer league.

Yeah I went visor for a while but then I got whacked and chipped a tooth and said gently caress it full cage forever

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've had a puck get deflected mid shot and go right up under my dangler to hit my throat. It was not fun and the bruise was gnarly.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You guys are nuts if you're skipping any of the standard pieces of gear.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I haven't worn either shoulder pads or cage for going on 20 years now and have never been injured due to a lack of either but apparently suffer from some manner of mental illness

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well, with CA's indoor mask mandate, my rink put a sign at the entrance saying they're required regardless of vax status, and are completely not enforcing it whatsoever. Good times.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Ginette Reno posted:

I think mental health is an important factor to consider in relation to covid safety. Obviously there was a point pre vaccine where you were a loving maniac if you tried to do anything but with boosters etc the risk is much more manageable and I think if hockey keeps you happy it's maybe an important thing to be doing. Even me as introverted as I am still needs a social outlet and I still need a fun outlet for exercise and hockey is both of those things. I genuinely did feel a lot more depressed daily when I wasn't playing.

100% this.

I'm not playing for a while though, despite all the positive effects. Being a COVID nurse and in isolation for 18 months has really hosed me up mentally, despite having changed jobs back in September. I still won't go out to eat or anything, I'm extremely nervous about being around people, large groups of people just freak me out... It really sucks.

I'm in counseling, on meds, etc but it's going to take a long time. Hockey would be a great help, but I really struggled over the summer with showing up to games, so right now it's not worth the stress of playing vs all the positives that come with hockey.

And all of this happens when I was finally confident on both inside AND outside edges.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I still won't go to restaurants or theaters either, but that's not because of any stress or anything. 2020 just showed me I really loving hate being around people and lockdown was kind of a wakeup that I don't actually have to do any of that to be content.

Hockey is the lone exception to that for some reason. I guess it's the exercise and trying to get better, because I sure as poo poo don't do anything heroic on skates.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hockey is my only activity that takes me out of the house other than maybe one concert every 2-3 months for bands I’ve been waiting to see for years, it’s definitely worth the risk for how much better I’ve been feeling since I started playing.

bewbies posted:

I haven't worn either shoulder pads or cage for going on 20 years now and have never been injured due to a lack of either but apparently suffer from some manner of mental illness
You play with good people who can control their sticks and shots, which helps a lot!

I took a deflected puck that went up and into my sidemanboob and it hurt and my chest protector did nothing but I mostly wear it so I can run into the boards without banging up my shoulders.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I don't wear a chest protector because I haven't found one that wasn't short on me. But I do wear a padded shirt which overlaps with my pants.

My teammate doesn't wear pants, which I don't understand. I've also seen other dudes not wear elbow pads.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

calandryll posted:

I've also seen other dudes not wear elbow pads.

This is just insane, my elbows are already hosed up from falls on hard surfaces in other sports the idea of jamming one on the ice gives me brainpains.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a mysterious cloak posted:

100% this.

I'm not playing for a while though, despite all the positive effects. Being a COVID nurse and in isolation for 18 months has really hosed me up mentally, despite having changed jobs back in September. I still won't go out to eat or anything, I'm extremely nervous about being around people, large groups of people just freak me out... It really sucks.

I'm in counseling, on meds, etc but it's going to take a long time. Hockey would be a great help, but I really struggled over the summer with showing up to games, so right now it's not worth the stress of playing vs all the positives that come with hockey.

And all of this happens when I was finally confident on both inside AND outside edges.

I mask up everywhere except hockey and don't really do restaurants unless it's outdoors. If I catch this at all it will probably be from hockey :/. I'm keeping an eye on how things are developing with it though. Fingers crossed that boosters will make me feel safe enough to continue to play.

I'm sorry you had to go through being a COVID nurse. So much of what the average mope like me hears and sees about covid is all second hand and/or heavily filtered. The media doesn't really show a whole lot of what people like you are going through. I can't imagine the grief of dealing with seeing that daily.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

bewbies posted:

I'm about 20 years into being no shoulder pad guy but I do wear glasses like 24/7 so I rock the full cage all the time. It probably helps that I never played organized hockey where you had to have a half shield or nothing so I never had the opportunity to get used to not wearing one. But speaking of mental illness...I do not wear a cup. I wear a jock, with the velcro for holding your socks up, I just take the cup part out. I used to always wear one, an old school jock with garter belt for socks. Then one day the jock ripped and the tape that was holding the rip would hold it together anymore and I kept forgetting to buy one and I finally did and I got so used to not wearing one I was really uncomfortable going back to wearing one and so I just stopped wearing one. I have yet* to get hit in the balls or dick though I took a shot to the FUPA while infront of the net once. Though a cup wouldn't have helped me there. That was a weird place to get a big bruise.

*yet.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

calandryll posted:

My teammate doesn't wear pants, which I don't understand. I've also seen other dudes not wear elbow pads.

The gently caress? The leagues here have minimums (that aren't enforced beyond maybe helmets & visors/cages, pants, shin guards & gloves) but that's just insane.

bigbillystyle posted:

But speaking of mental illness...I do not wear a cup. I wear a jock, with the velcro for holding your socks up, I just take the cup part out.

Annnnnnnd you're crazier than those other two guys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I played soccer for a few years as a kid, and there they tech you to put your hands over your junk on a free kick. Apparently that rule burned itself into my brain because when I see a dude winding up for a slapshot I take my lower hand off my stick and cover my dick.

It's not something I decide to do and it's probably pointless in terms of preventing injury, but it's a dumb instinct I can't change.

If I had a choice I'd protect my throat but again, instinct.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bigbillystyle posted:

I'm about 20 years into being no shoulder pad guy but I do wear glasses like 24/7 so I rock the full cage all the time. It probably helps that I never played organized hockey where you had to have a half shield or nothing so I never had the opportunity to get used to not wearing one. But speaking of mental illness...I do not wear a cup. I wear a jock, with the velcro for holding your socks up, I just take the cup part out. I used to always wear one, an old school jock with garter belt for socks. Then one day the jock ripped and the tape that was holding the rip would hold it together anymore and I kept forgetting to buy one and I finally did and I got so used to not wearing one I was really uncomfortable going back to wearing one and so I just stopped wearing one. I have yet* to get hit in the balls or dick though I took a shot to the FUPA while infront of the net once. Though a cup wouldn't have helped me there. That was a weird place to get a big bruise.

*yet.

:stonklol:

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

Growing up I had a kid on my team one hear who refused to wear a cup. He played defense, aggressively blocked shots and refused to wear a cup. He even did get bagged twice....but refused, I don't get it.

Talking with someone I bowl with about hockey and playing goalie, I discovered their son one time forgot his cup and played 2 games without it in a tournament as he was afraid he'd get in trouble for forgetting it after driving all that way.....this just hurts me to even think about.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ManiacMatt posted:

Growing up I had a kid on my team one hear who refused to wear a cup. He played defense, aggressively blocked shots and refused to wear a cup. He even did get bagged twice....but refused, I don't get it.

Talking with someone I bowl with about hockey and playing goalie, I discovered their son one time forgot his cup and played 2 games without it in a tournament as he was afraid he'd get in trouble for forgetting it after driving all that way.....this just hurts me to even think about.

Why not just buy a new cup at the tournament? Most rinks have a pro shop or at worst there'd be a Dicks in the area or something

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dicks

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

xzzy posted:

I played soccer for a few years as a kid, and there they tech you to put your hands over your junk on a free kick. Apparently that rule burned itself into my brain because when I see a dude winding up for a slapshot I take my lower hand off my stick and cover my dick.

It's not something I decide to do and it's probably pointless in terms of preventing injury, but it's a dumb instinct I can't change.

If I had a choice I'd protect my throat but again, instinct.

I play with a guy who wears a visor, and whenever he finds himself in the shooting lane, he covers his mouth with his lower hand which is pretty smart.
I thought about doing the same and switching to a visor when I play because I use one when I coach and I feel a lot freer.

That is until my buddy got hit in the face off of a deflection from the blue and needed an emergency dentist. Luckily he has a good dental plan.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I honestly don't mind wearing a cage. The added preventative of not losing my teeth is far superior to any vision improvements I get from wearing a visor. Used to do a visor in beer league but got hit in the mouth too many times.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I honestly don't mind wearing a cage. The added preventative of not losing my teeth is far superior to any vision improvements I get from wearing a visor. Used to do a visor in beer league but got hit in the mouth too many times.

Same for me, it changed when I helped a guy pick up his entire front row of teeth (tops and bottoms) because a player next to him got stick lifted and hit him in the mouth. Funny thing, teeth rarely come out whole. This guy's were broken in pieces and shards. It looked incredibly painful and once we realized how broken they were, we stopped trying to find every tiny piece. That's when I realized teeth can be fixed more or less, but if you gently caress up an eye ... Well that's why I wear a cage now.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ginette Reno posted:

I honestly don't mind wearing a cage. The added preventative of not losing my teeth is far superior to any vision improvements I get from wearing a visor.

:same:

There are no pro scouts in the stands for my lovely beer league team, so I'm not trying to impress anyone. I know the odds of me actually getting hurt with a visor would be low, but having a little bit better vision on the ice 99 times out of 100 isn't worth the 1 time out of 100 where I get a stick or puck that smacks me in the mouth. I get whacked in the cage with sticks all the time. I'm almost 40 years old and I'm doing this to have fun and stay in shape, not to gain every possible advantage at the risk of my own health.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Visor rules, y’all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cages rule, we had a recent game where a deflected puck went into the bench and cut a visor dude's lip. Two shifts later I was in a board battle and got but ended in the face a couple times because idiot couldn't keep his stick on the ice.

Cage for lyfe.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Two days ago I joked about my chest protector only being around so I can bump off the boards. Tonight I took a shot just to the left of my belly button that has already turned into a golf ball sized bullseye.

To hell with you, hockey thread.

(I don't blame the chest protector I blame the lil flap at the front of my pants that is supposed to block that area but keeps flopping down under my jersey)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Last night I tried to fake a shot, which is something I never do, and ended up throwing myself wildly off balance and falling into the boards. Instant karma for trying to use deceitful tricks to fool the goalie.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
One of the best investments I did was getting pro-stock pants. So light and so much padding on them. I've taken multiple shots off the legs and haven't felt a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I've seen a few guys lose teeth on what should have been a nothing play but bad luck got the better of them. One guy deflected a dump in right into his own face. It was like 2 min into a pickup and the guy was only playing because he was in from out of town and wanted to play with his uncle that he doesn't get to see that often. Another guy was carrying the puck in, got stick checked by the D except the D's stick like rode up the puck carrier's stick and with the puck carrier still moving forward he basically lifted the D man's stick into his mouth and flipped a tooth back into the roof of his mouth. D man probably could have had a little more stick control there but it was a weird series of events that managed to get his stick up and perfectly hit just one tooth in the guy's mouth. He ended up just flipping the tooth back and pushing it into his gums hard and it turned out to be fine, but it was very painful for him to do that.