Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Isn't the build back better bill dead anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Who was it that said climate change is a series of phone footage videos getting closer to home until it's your phone taking the video

This picture is a good twist on that concept

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Who was it that said climate change is a series of phone footage videos getting closer to home until it's your phone taking the video

This picture is a good twist on that concept

I think it was someone in this thread. I keep repeating it everywhere to everyone online and in real life though. it’s a great quote

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

children of men is such a good movie

If they'd worked the orgy centers into the movie I'd guess we'd have accelerationist cults by now.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Isn't the build back better bill dead anyway?

built back? never

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
give me more landlocked lightning hurricanes plz

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
hey climate thread checking in after a couple months of not paying attention. I assume everything is fine now?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Koirhor posted:

I love The Expanse but everytime I watch the opening credits and see how they built a giant seawall to save the Statue of Liberty I lmao

The expanse is in the pile of "impossibly optimistic" sci fi books along with pretty much every other one that's been written

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

children of men is such a good movie

like so (not a book I guess)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

give me more landlocked lightning hurricanes plz

I can't wait until Chicago, Toronto et al get swamped by great lakes hurricanes

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pobrecito posted:

hey climate thread checking in after a couple months of not paying attention. I assume everything is fine now?

yeah, new york colleges promised to only invest in net-zero carbon industries by 2040, so we're good now

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pobrecito posted:

we were just talking about subway. the new plan is to build 40 million sandwich shops worldwide, but is that a realistic goal? that’s what we’re trying to settle.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Pobrecito posted:

did you hear that there is a carbon capture plant in Iceland now

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Pobrecito posted:

The Arctic is heating up four times faster than the rest of the planet (not twice as fast as previously thought) and also the Thwaites ice shelf is about to break, causing catastrophic sea level rise hundreds of years ahead of schedule

so yeah

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

T-Paine posted:

The Arctic is heating up four times faster than the rest of the planet (not twice as fast as previously thought) and also the Thwaites ice shelf is about to break, causing catastrophic sea level rise hundreds of years ahead of schedule

so yeah

how hard would it be to break off the thwaites on purpose? like with drills or dynamite or something. that would be cool to watch

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Pobrecito posted:

Democrats made the Earth feel good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

T-Paine posted:

so yeah

more ocean more better

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yellowstone's magma chamber is only 8 kilometers deep so I feel like we could get down there if we wanted

We can at least get close and detonate a nuke

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pobrecito posted:

how hard would it be to break off the thwaites on purpose? like with drills or dynamite or something. that would be cool to watch

booking a trip down there rn, packing a rock hammer in my carry-on so I can do my part

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

munce posted:

https://twitter.com/Roolockwood/status/1395595298559315971
"Economists have made-up their own numbers on climate change" based on a "crazy-bad assumption" says Australian economist @ProfSteveKeen
And if they are wrong, "we are screwed."

it's worth noting here that keen is a neo-keynesian, not any kind of materialist. and here he is pumping eco-stalin to a room full of libs.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Love this framing

https://phys.org/news/2021-12-manatee-club-state-feds-emergency.html

quote:

Manatee club applauds state, feds for agreeing to emergency feeding as mammals die off

The Save the Manatee Club applauded state and federal wildlife authorities Monday night for their staff-level agreement for a trial, emergency feeding of Central Florida manatees at risk of starvation as winter months approach.

The group's executive director, Patrick Rose, said the agreement, with myriad details yet to be determined, came a week ago based on last winter's wave of manatee deaths along Central Florida's portion of the Indian River Lagoon in Brevard County.

The lagoon system is suffering a pollution-driven ecosystem collapse, which has wiped out nearly all of the seagrass beds that manatees depend on for foraging.

Rose said he fears manatees in the area are malnourished and at risk of starvation with the onset of winter cold snaps that stress the animals.

Officials at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission could not be reached for comment.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

we were just talking about subway. the new plan is to build 40 million sandwich shops worldwide, but is that a realistic goal? that’s what we’re trying to settle.

one billion subways

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

splifyphus posted:

it's worth noting here that keen is a neo-keynesian, not any kind of materialist. and here he is pumping eco-stalin to a room full of libs.

if you stick an earnest lib climate scientist or sustainability engineer in a room with real decision makers they radicalize surprisingly quickly

it's actually awesome - you can tell who's a beady eyed industry shill really quickly because they've been in the field for years yet don't give off an aura of existential despair and a confusion as to why they even still try

mad props to the folks who stay the course, though

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The cognitive dissonance here is just loving :discourse:: https://onemileatatime.com/insights/i-bought-millions-of-miles/

TL;DR: "I bought millions of AA miles but I did it by donating to Conservation International, a fake environmental organization with ties to oil companies and Mon-loving-santo. But not because I care about the environment or anything - they were offering a big bonus per dollar spent." :downs:

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 21:42 on Dec 16, 2021

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

splifyphus posted:

Turns out that critically reading Nordhaus et al's crocks of poo poo is the best way to radicalize yourself as an economist.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Milo and POTUS posted:

one billion subways

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

one billion American subways

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

splifyphus posted:

yeah, this is the final stage of crack ping. like, it's that old 'may you live in interesting times' thing, but on crack.

we live in the most interesting times, ever. it's the loving end of history! there's never been a better time to be alive and awake. if you're strong enough to stare the horror of the real in the face, then you are treated to a perspective that no entity has ever had before.

we're collectively powerful enough to wipe out an entire biosphere, and individually we have never been more helpless. we get to watch an apocalypse, through an apocalypse, while being an apocalypse.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Koirhor posted:

I love The Expanse but everytime I watch the opening credits and see how they built a giant seawall to save the Statue of Liberty I lmao

One of my best crack/pings was a video demonstrating the effectiveness of different sea walls and one option was clearly far and away superior so they put in a lower third that said "most expensive option" to let you know that it ain't happening. No other options had any kind of qualifier attached.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

On December 16th, 2021, it is currently colder in Los Angeles, CA than New York, NY.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

lmao

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

:five:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
hell yeah

idk how anyone can go around with doom mindset. everything is far too interesting to be going about your life in doom, and we're so lucky. it's a treasure trove of scientific curiosity and marvel with global genetic history being rewritten in real time; the inner workings of the planet being unraveled and exposed for study. think of how few sapient life there is, and then think of how even fewer sapient life, across the universe and whatever other alternate universes, will ever experience complete self-made biosphere collapse going from nearly 0-to-100 within their very lifespan. like it's like winning a super megamillions lotto thousands of times consecutively.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Dec 16, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Xaris posted:

hell yeah

idk how anyone can go around with doom mindset. everything is far too interesting to be going about your life in doom, and we're so lucky. it's a treasure trove of scientific curiosity and marvel with global genetic history being rewritten in real time; the inner workings of the planet being unraveled and exposed for study. think of how few sapient life there is, and then think of how even fewer sapient life, across the universe and whatever other alternate universes, will ever experience complete self-made biosphere collapse going from nearly 0-to-100 within their very lifespan. like it's like winning a super megamillions lotto thousands of times consecutively.

yeah

I could be wiped out by a roving iceberg, fire hurricane or whatever, nothing of value is lost

It just sucks to care about any other living thing

that's how they get you

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Xaris posted:

hell yeah

Yeah, you could say we really lucked out. All those generations of people living in slavery and misery, all to bring this brief shining moment of freedom from want and from oppression, so make every moment count.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

yeah my only real grievance is that I have young adult children who won’t get old, but I guess getting old sucks anyways. they both like Fallout and The Last of Us, and maybe raiding is better than a desk job at a bank

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

yeah

I could be wiped out by a roving iceberg, fire hurricane or whatever, nothing of value is lost

It just sucks to care about any other living thing

... that's how they get you

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Xaris posted:

hell yeah

:yeah:

like of course if aliens exist they'd be visiting now to watch this poo poo unfold, this is primetime baby