Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Imagine being so stupid you type something up in Microsoft Word and then print it out then take a picture of it and send it to everyone in the company

But if i take a picture of of the sceen to send it wil have those red and green squickles everywhear

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

nielsm posted:

But if i take a picture of of the sceen to send it wil have those red and green squickles everywhear

I'm imagining the guy in your avatar saying that right before she hits him...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lum posted:

That is still my favourite story out of everything I've read on these forums, and I still occasionally relay it whenever someone mentions they're considering a job in healthcare IT.

lol thanks, this made my day.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

It's that time of year to say gently caress Java. New computer, and I can't get the Java environment set up.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Maigius posted:

It's that time of year to say gently caress Java.

You mean literally every time of year?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Just twice a year. The first half and the second half. :v:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I'm a Java developer (web site back end), Java and I are usually friends.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Maigius posted:

I don’t know you but we have become enemies.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Maigius posted:

Reporting this as NSFW content because Java is not safe for anywhere.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lum posted:

That is still my favourite story out of everything I've read on these forums, and I still occasionally relay it whenever someone mentions they're considering a job in healthcare IT.

Tell me more :munch:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

skooma512 posted:

Tell me more :munch:

Here's the spec bucket story

***edit***
How is this classic not in SAclopedia?

Also, while searching, I noticed that Sirotan mentioned that she was auditioning for Jeopardy! Just wondering how that went?

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 16, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TWBalls posted:

Here's the spec bucket story

***edit***
How is this classic not in SAclopedia?

Also, while searching, I noticed that Sirotan mentioned that she was auditioning for Jeopardy! Just wondering how that went?

The audition was really fun, it was on my birthday and I even made it on to the local news! Never got called for the show though, heh. You can try again after 18 months but that hit right as COVID started so I never got around to it. They're virtual now though so I probably should!

Spec bucket would make for a weird yet fabulous contestant anecdote.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Maigius posted:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Well if we are doing grim stories...

I used to work in the prison service. One of the things that happens in prison is when they get a bit bored/lonely/upset at night, prisoners will claim they are suicidal. They do this because they know they are entitled to a special phone that is restricted to calling support services like the samaritans and its a way to pass the time.

The IT role in this was to make sure the phone was always in good working order - if a prisoner actually commits suicide and the investigation found he couldn't make a support call because the phone was broken then IT gets a kicking.

We generally accepted a high rate of failure as you'd quite often get prisoners trying to self harm asking for the phone just to swallow the batteries as it was just a standard home cordless phone.

Then one day someone decided to issue cell phones for this purpose, they had to have locked down SIM cards , glued in, glued cases - various mitigations to ensure if the prisoner somehow got the phone it was no big deal. We also had a Bluetooth headset and the guard was supposed to place the call and keep hold of the phone.

That sounds a bit complicated but it does work.

Anyway, the grim bit. One day security ask me if I want a cellphone they had in an evidence bag. I said not really (if they find contraband phones there is a special team that interrogate them)

It was at this point they explained it was actually one of our support mobiles and the reason they had it was:

A prisoner asked for it, then claimed the headset didn't work, so the guard handed over the phone(!!!!)
The guard then didn't collect the phone back(!!!)
The prisoner was transferred out the next day to another prison and he had decided to smuggle the phone with him in nature's pocket but upon arrival to his new home, realised the phone was locked and therefore useless so decided to hand it back before he was caught in possession.
The receiving prison decided to evidence bag it up and send it back to us rather than dispose of it

And that's how I ended up being offered a mobile phone recovered from someone's orifice- I declined.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Dang boomers can't even butt-dial correctly.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option
Are we doing butt stories? Okay...

A fair few years ago when I worked helpdesk for my local authority, I received a call from one of the librarians asking if we (IT) wanted to keep a computer after it had been made dirty. The librarian was unusually reserved and not very forthcoming, which was odd but I was going down the track of confirming if we needed to remove any content from the jail.
The system in question was a segregated terminal for public use that was frozen with Deep Freeze and would destroy all session data after a user had ended their session with the custom software we used. Sometimes we'd get a request to have the data removed from the system right away, and even though ending the session would do it, we would oblige the requestor by restarting the system which made them happy, however it was often asked as "cleaning it".

However, in this instance it turned out that the member of the public had "been through a change of tablets" and somehow managed to crap not only themselves, all over the chair in front of the system, but all over the keyboard, tower and monitor. The consistency of which had apparently been sucked in by the tiny case fan and somehow blasted through to the other end to make a mark on the wall behind it.

Throughout all of this call it turned out the librarian was standing by the machine the entire time, with the system swept into a laundry bag ready for me to dispatch a regional tech to pick it up in one and have it cleaned up.

I graciously declined the opportunity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We're on the third go-around of a colleague messaging me on Teams asking for the fix for something and being sent a link to a ticket where the fix is documented. I know you just want me to do it for you, but I have a much greater ability to paste a link in a chat and telling you to read it than I have will to do some actual work this week.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

We're on the third go-around of a colleague messaging me on Teams asking for the fix for something and being sent a link to a ticket where the fix is documented. I know you just want me to do it for you, but I have a much greater ability to paste a link in a chat and telling you to read it than I have will to do some actual work this week.

quote:

FYI.

Have we been able to produce our first reports to send to MSP for patching?

Thank You

Boss
Third time remeinding him my account doesn't got the access and he need to either fix my account or re-create it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FINALLY get approval to buy the HR assistant a new laptop. She's using some beat to poo poo 4.5 year old model

Boss adds a extra power cord to the order.

"They don't come with power cords"

Yes they do. I now know why there is a literal box of brand new Dell USB-C power cords in our office.

We have six docks in inventory (and no laptops). Hey, can she just use one of those?

"No, I want to keep some of those on hand"

gently caress it. It's not my money.

Also we have 9 PC's in inventory. But can't refresh any on the floor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

To: Bob
Subject: Reboot need

Can you reboot the Avigilon Camera Server? Some cameras do not want to connect. I noticed the server restarted last week, which probably caused an issue. Can you let me know when it is done so I can test the camera connections?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rebooting as the fix to all issues, no matter how often they recur

:negative:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Meanwhile the PoE switch looks like a Christmas tree with all the orange lights where there should be green

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

rebooting is also the source of all issues.

best keep the machines off permanently.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Got all the cameras working and then I got the great idea to reboot the switch (2960-X) to clear the error lights on the switch. Now 1/3rd of the cameras won't reconnect to the Avigilon. My boss deleted one that wasn't working earlier and we can't re-add it because nobody knows the loving camera password...

The password is something like CAMERACOMPANY00011!!
It used to be CAMERACOMPANY00009!! and so on down the line

I don't have security torx bits so I can't manually reset the camera. Really don't want to reset like 10 of them so I'll call the camera/security company to do it. Bah Humbug. :bahgawd:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Polio Vax Scene posted:

:hmmyes:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Polio Vax Scene posted:

It's a secure, stable configuration. No viruses, no patches, no bugs.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Thanks Ants posted:

How my last job handled citrix. Server locked up? Just reset it, no root cause analysis or proactive fixes, just reset.

Although that's what happens when nobody has any training in it and they just throw in someone googling his rear end off from home.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

skooma512 posted:

How my last job handled citrix. Server locked up? Just reset it, no root cause analysis or proactive fixes, just reset.

Although that's what happens when nobody has any training in it and they just throw in someone googling his rear end off from home.

lol that's what our documentation says to do, it's been this way for 5+ years apparently. My coworker also does excel calculations by hand... :negative:

Edit: We've also got people who spend literal hours a week just generating reports and delivering them to our customers. I'm starting to think that any sort of automation what so ever would put them out of a job.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Every time somebody has their name/email changed our Sharepoint online instance and the linked custom app decides not to let go of the old information until the Azure app for each is restarted.

Of course no one is interested in finding out why, you just reboot it three times a week and kill the name changed user’s access for nearly 24 hours at a time until then. What is there to investigate?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Got all the cameras working and then I got the great idea to reboot the switch (2960-X) to clear the error lights on the switch.

It doesn’t really have uh error lights

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Partycat posted:

It doesn’t really have uh error lights

Meaning
Amber
Port is blocked by Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) and is not forwarding
data.
After a port is reconfigured, the port LED can remain amber for up to
30 seconds as STP searches the switch for possible loops.

Except nothing is plugged into the ports. We have some PoE injectors that I don't know why they are there, they might have been backward? The lights went off and stayed off after I bounced the switch

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I mean something must've sent a BPDU or something to trigger the errdisable.

Do you have portfast and BPDU guard enable on the ports?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Some stuff worth checking before reloading the switch, in the event that you aren't used to working with this gear, if you are ignore me:

show interface status err-disable will show you all ports that have been put into an error state by the switch, along with the reason. bpduguard? Somebody threw a loop in the network. link-flap? The port is going up and down a lot, maybe bad cabling or a bad NIC. So on so forth. (EDIT: If you found a port in err-disable and you need to turn it back on because you think the problem is gone, you can just shutdown and no shutdown the interface to reset it.)

show interface <interface name>, like Gi1/0/3 or whatever, will show interface statistics like various error types.

show log is always a good bet to see what's happened, if you have logging configured and it's not so busy that it's blown through your configured buffer size.

But hey, if reloading the switch is tolerable downtime and it fixed your problem, and the problem doesn't come back, well, hey, problem's gone.

EDIT: Forgot a good one, lots of people don't know that many switches have this capability, 2960Xs do. test cable tdr interface <interface name> and show cable tdr interface <interface name> will perform a time-domain reflectometer test, which is a quick back-of-the-envelope "is this cable dogshit" test. It is not a replacement for a cable certifier, it won't tell you if you have too much NEXT etc., but it can tell you you have an open pair or a short. Cisco is also not the only vendor offering this, most major manufacturers do on at least some models, it's just different syntax.

guppy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 22, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo currently pissing me off, stupid lazy people ages ago throwing service accounts into domain admin to solve a problem instead of getting to root cause for permissions.

I’m cleaning them up and should be able to set all of them up with proper delegations. The one I just fixed? All it needed was local admin to the server and read access to a single AD group to do an ldap sync. :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I mean something must've sent a BPDU or something to trigger the errdisable.

Do you have portfast and BPDU guard enable on the ports?

Both are enabled. These cables should be going to cameras...I'll have to trace one to be sure

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

guppy posted:

Some stuff worth checking before reloading the switch, in the event that you aren't used to working with this gear, if you are ignore me:

show interface status err-disable will show you all ports that have been put into an error state by the switch, along with the reason. bpduguard? Somebody threw a loop in the network. link-flap? The port is going up and down a lot, maybe bad cabling or a bad NIC. So on so forth. (EDIT: If you found a port in err-disable and you need to turn it back on because you think the problem is gone, you can just shutdown and no shutdown the interface to reset it.)

show interface <interface name>, like Gi1/0/3 or whatever, will show interface statistics like various error types.

show log is always a good bet to see what's happened, if you have logging configured and it's not so busy that it's blown through your configured buffer size.

But hey, if reloading the switch is tolerable downtime and it fixed your problem, and the problem doesn't come back, well, hey, problem's gone.

EDIT: Forgot a good one, lots of people don't know that many switches have this capability, 2960Xs do. test cable tdr interface <interface name> and show cable tdr interface <interface name> will perform a time-domain reflectometer test, which is a quick back-of-the-envelope "is this cable dogshit" test. It is not a replacement for a cable certifier, it won't tell you if you have too much NEXT etc., but it can tell you you have an open pair or a short. Cisco is also not the only vendor offering this, most major manufacturers do on at least some models, it's just different syntax.

Thanks, I'll try this out next week. A bunch of the cameras were in an error state for a week so restarting it wasn't a big deal

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sirotan posted:

looking forward to the us-central outage next week

us-east again lol

:negative: I am so tired.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I guess all the 10x engineers that keep AWS afloat have been on PTO

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am so loving sick of my entire team being awful to loving work with. Absolutely 0 documentation, can't even be assed to put entries into the password manager, no coordination or collaboration. Everything we do takes so much more time and effort than it needs to. It really makes me not want to ever do any work. I really need to start looking after the holidays, but the wife and I are also talking about looking at buying a house. Grumble, grumble...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

You're management, right? I could write some documentation for you if you hire me. You will be my second only employer