Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Echoing Napoli. It's a very fun ship with lots of tools to pull off ballsy play.

The T9/X German BC's can be pretty challenging to play, they're really map dependent. You need islands to play around because your HP and Armour are kind of trash. You can't use your back guns if you're 1v1 against anything with 380's and above because you'll eat 20k salvos. If you don't have islands, you need teammates that are smart enough to push with you. You also need a 19 point commander at a minimum.

The damage output from them once you get into secondary range is just ridiculous though. Torps, 360 guns and insane secondaries. Everything melts. Extreme high risk but if you read the map right extreme high reward. I'm really liking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm only on the Mackensen, and I've been enjoying it so far. I did have a 19pt commander to drop on it though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I know Mogami's a dumb meme ship but dropping 8k salvos with IFHE and Heavy HE feels godly while it lasts. Thanks to saturation + higher tier battleships it usually doesn't, but once in a while you get to go hog wild.

Destroyers in particular get schwacked so fast it feels almost like you're playing a British CL.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Like the German BCs, thats another setup where you need at least a 14-pt commander (IFHE and CE) to make it work. Is Heavy HE really recommended as part of that build though?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKain posted:

I'm only on the Mackensen, and I've been enjoying it so far. I did have a 19pt commander to drop on it though.

I found the entire line from tier 6 on up to be fun ships. Wish I had more captains for em.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

kaesarsosei posted:

Like the German BCs, thats another setup where you need at least a 14-pt commander (IFHE and CE) to make it work. Is Heavy HE really recommended as part of that build though?

No idea but it makes the numbers bigger so I use it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

kaesarsosei posted:

You don't need a 14 point commander anymore, Wargaming actually fixed that a while back (shocking I know). You might or might not want to take IFHE when you get more skill points, but tier 8+ light cruisers are fine without it. Tier 6 and 7 suck without IFHE, but they also suck with IFHE so it's the same thing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I was weak and started this back up again, all my captains have been reset! and there are new skills! I took my conq out for a ranked game with the skill that makes you faster unspotted and that seems pretty good. Conq still owns.

Are subs in the game yet?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah, subs are still unlocked through a mission. I think it's 12k bxp to unlock the T6, then 2k more for the 8 and 10. I think the rental lasts a week?

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
The Schlieffen here is a particular highlight I feel:

Also, I knew the Supercontainer pool was diluted, but this is ridiculous:

I have hundreds of camo pieces better than that just from playing the game since launch, and some have thousands. I'd rather have the Juliet Charlies, at least that's 10 million credits.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:owned:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Had enough coal to grab the Yoshino and a Neutrashimy. Loving the Yoshi, but the NuTrash isn't doing it for me. What is this thing supposed to be? I got to like tier 5 in the Russian DD line :q:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Stanley Pain posted:

Had enough coal to grab the Yoshino and a Neutrashimy. Loving the Yoshi, but the NuTrash isn't doing it for me. What is this thing supposed to be? I got to like tier 5 in the Russian DD line :q:

A generic DD with an overpowered repair party. Go in and shoot other DDs, disengage if you're not doing well, print new ship, retry.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

I’ve answered this like 8 times on discord. Neustrashimy is a super Ognevoi. Ognevoi is a weird duck destroyer that’s basically an answer to the question - “What if a Euro dd had slow torps and slow reloading guns, but had smoke and a heal“? To do well in it (and Neustra) you need to use the guns, because the torps are extremely slow to reload (but are decent with long range and low detectability). The guns have slow reload compared with the euro boats but very high velocity. So use them at long range and set fires from smoke, use them against dds while kiting. And use your heal to survive open water gunboating. Neustra has really good concealment but you can’t survive close range gunboating the better gunboat dds, instead ambush when you can and smoke up when they fire back.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Stanley Pain posted:

It’s supposed to be an overpriced piece of trash. I think at one point it was a steel or research bureau ship nobody wanted so it got moved to coal… could be wrong though.

Wargamming’s spreadsheets tell them that it’s definitely worth 300k coal though.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

ZombieLenin posted:

It’s supposed to be an overpriced piece of trash. I think at one point it was a steel or research bureau ship nobody wanted so it got moved to coal… could be wrong though.

Wargamming’s spreadsheets tell them that it’s definitely worth 300k coal though.

It used to be 24k steel, so they priced it high so those of us who got it for steel wouldn’t be mad or something, I guess? If 1 steel = 10 coal…

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The thing with the Neustrashimy is it's a perfectly good ship, but it's good entirely because it has 45k hp and (for most people) having more hp doesn't make a ship that much more fun. The Neustrashimy has 2.5x as much health and that's a big advantage, but you can get the Yugumo without spending 300k coal and have better guns (in most situations) and torpedoes.

If you actually want to play a ship that trades guns for health there's nothing wrong with it at all, it's just a design that doesn't really match the normal ways to play boats.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I have been breaking myself in back into the game by playing ranked, simply because the pain doesn't last 20 minutes, and I got enough McGuffins to get the SUPERSHIP bundle. Only played a couple of games in them so far and TBH they are not the "I-win" button I actually wanted. Disappointed.

Except...

The Satsuma. If this this makes it in game I don't care what it costs I'm having it, it's AMAZING. Blapping carriers for half their HP from 30km+ will NEVER get old.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Re: NuTrash talk. Starting to warm up to this boat. The heal is definitely a game changer. You can take some decent trades and the torps are quite nice albeit slow reloading. The guns feel pretty meh though.

The Yoshino is a loving blast though. I don't think I've had a sub 150k damage game in it :clint:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I really like the Neutra, but I am bad at botes

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tarbrush posted:

I really like the Neutra, but I am bad at botes

I'm having a lot of fun with the Yukon of all botes :q:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Burt posted:

I have been breaking myself in back into the game by playing ranked, simply because the pain doesn't last 20 minutes, and I got enough McGuffins to get the SUPERSHIP bundle. Only played a couple of games in them so far and TBH they are not the "I-win" button I actually wanted. Disappointed.

Except...

The Satsuma. If this this makes it in game I don't care what it costs I'm having it, it's AMAZING. Blapping carriers for half their HP from 30km+ will NEVER get old.

If you can't get some absolutely filthy games in Conde, you're missing out!!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Does this game have submarines yet and if so do they rage the playerbase?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

BadLlama posted:

Does this game have submarines yet and if so do they rage the playerbase?

It does, they’re stupid and their implementation is stupid. They rank up there with CVs as far as dislike level for the majority of the player base.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Very nice, maybe its time to play this a bit as a tube loving seaman

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hmm how the poo poo do you get a submarine.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

BadLlama posted:

There is a mission to unlock them for 12k bxp for the T6 plus 2k more to get the T8 and T10.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

BadLlama posted:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There is a mission to unlock them for 12k bxp for the T6 plus 2k more to get the T8 and T10.

Yeah, hopefully this does not ruin your chance at trolly fun, but the subs aren’t part of the tech tree—yet.

You’ve got to basically earn the above base XP playing normal botes to unlock both the US and German subs—12k base xp unlocks both Tier VI subs at the same time.

Then you only get to play the subs for 10 days before the mission resets.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Ugh yeah I figured that out, I am just earning my base XP in CV's.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Ugh yeah I figured that out, I am just earning my base XP in CV's.

Easy there Satan

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Battuta posted:

Easy there Satan

I was one of the CVs in a dual CV, dual Sub match. :shopkeeper:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

carriers are tight, i can actually loving shoot poo poo quickly. battleships are a slog.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I had a ranked with 1 BB and all cruisers and it was :discourse:.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Going against the grain somewhat in terms of how I perceive the new German BCs vs what people on the forums are saying, but so far I think they are garbage. The dispersion up to and including the T7 is awful and you need at absolute minimum a 14 point captain to make them viable. I haven't had that luxury yet and have had to choose the bare minimum of either CE or ERE for survivability and not been able to pick up ManSec.

Perhaps the T8+ are better.

Reached the Zieten and already enjoying it a lot more but there's 3 things heavily in its favour compared to my experience with Henrich:
1) I dumped 300k CXP to get a 14-pt commander from the off. So I can go full 11.5km secondaries plus concealment (Concealment > ERS IMO)
2) The concealment itself of 12km is really ridiculous - is this the lowest of any BB in the game?
3) To me the jump from 15-16" guns is the most significant bump in the game. I feel like I am getting far more pens already.

The big negative is that before I got this ship I was sure it was 3x3 guns, not 3x2...thats worrying but we'll see - 22 sec reload cures a lot of ailments. Also the AA, whilst not tested yet, looks garbage.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Zeiten was okay. The reload is really good and going from it to the tier 9 you pretty much trade that reload away for 8 guns instead of 6, so the DPM is pretty much identical. The German 16”
guns do feel a lot better than the 15s.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Remember why this game frustrated me a bunch when I played long ago. BB drivers afraid to get their pretty ships scratched at all costs. CVing is pretty fun these days.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I...can't make the Pobeda work. At all.

Serov was amazing.

But every single game the past two weeks is a loss it feels like. Mostly BBs reversing in spawn, or chasing the enemy into spawn. I have zero spotting damage. It's just...it's like my teams are universally so brain damaged half the time my carrier is rushed from an open flank collapsing in 3-4 minutes.

Anyone else struggling with it?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Blindeye posted:

I...can't make the Pobeda work. At all.

Serov was amazing.

But every single game the past two weeks is a loss it feels like. Mostly BBs reversing in spawn, or chasing the enemy into spawn. I have zero spotting damage. It's just...it's like my teams are universally so brain damaged half the time my carrier is rushed from an open flank collapsing in 3-4 minutes.

Anyone else struggling with it?

So I suck at re-work CVs. I sucked at the pre re-work CVs too, but not quite as bad… literally I played my Saipan in co-op the other day and did zero damage.

With that in mind, my probably not so helpful take on Soviet CVs:

Soviet skip bombers are the only bomber type I can actually use and reliably hit poo poo.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

ZombieLenin posted:

So I suck at re-work CVs. I sucked at the pre re-work CVs too, but not quite as bad… literally I played my Saipan in co-op the other day and did zero damage.

With that in mind, my probably not so helpful take on Soviet CVs:

Soviet skip bombers are the only bomber type I can actually use and reliably hit poo poo.

It's just surprising to me that as a fairly decent CV player in any other nation's tech tree, I can't seem to make the Soviet CVs click. Like you, I can make a skip bombers work well. On brain dead large targets the rockets are fine. But I think there is something about the single strike aspect that prevents me from doing a lot of the area denials to DDs that I find most useful to impact the game. Coupled with the fact that the battleship's are almost allergic to hitting w these days, I feel utterly anemic. I can either rack up enormous amounts of damage (if my team doesn't collapse immediately), and get a lot of reports but have no impact on the game, or I can spend a lot of time spotting and do absolutely zero damage and get a lot of reports.

I think I've gotten 25 reports over the last week just from playing CVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Most people report CVs on sight for misbehavior in chat so that they have a chance at getting them chat banned since there isn't anything else you can do to a CV. You have plenty of game impact doing big damage to surface ships, the idea that the only game impact is harassing DDs is pretty exaggerated. If the opportunity presents itself to do so then fine (your skip bombers work very well against them - I haven't seen much of the T8 but Bison and Gaishu routinely nail DDs in Nahkimov for 18-24k per drop with skip bombs) - but killing bigger ships is plenty impactful.