Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Darren this doesn't excuse what you did and also you still have to wear your mask.

...over your nose and mouth, Darren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

learnincurve posted:

My lad has been officially put on the incapable for work list but as a added bit of torture, as a treat, we won't know what money he will be entitled to for another 7 working days.
That sucks, hope the support is any kind of meaningful.

I heard back from the IIDB people a few weeks ago. They say yes I'm disabled, yes I have the condition I said I did, yes it's lifelong and yes it was caused by my old job.

They also say it's only 4%* disablement because I seemed fine on the day of assessment (I was fine because I haven't worked full time in ten years and haven't worked at all the last 5), and they don't pay out unless you are at 14%* or more.

Currently appealing it with a big letter that properly hosed up my hands trying to write, but not hugely optimistic they won't bump it to 13.9% and say gently caress you we're still not paying.

* Of what, i'm not sure. 4% of total possible capacity? Compared to another person? Compared to the worst possible disability?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

My mother drinks a lot of gin and she will drink anything with alcohol in it, so this is also my impression of gin drinkers because gin is utterly disgusting as far as I am concerned :v:

The explosion in recent years (figurative rather than literal) of gin production really always puts me in mind of the old woodcuts because it all tastes absolutely horrible and I can only conceive of drinking it out of desperation.

Excuse me I am feeling personally attacked itt. You probably like roast beef monster munch too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Body mass, you have to lop a leg off.

loving percentages like it's a goddamn speedrun category, jesus wept.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's reassuring to see that Rishi is getting poo poo for jetting off to California for 'talks', where he just happens to have one of his 12+ known homes during run-up to Christmas, and loving hilarious that he's now been dragged back by business leaders for emergency talks. People aren't happy that he hosed off when people needed him the most.

I think Rishi has destroyed any chance of succeeding when Boris is eventually knifed in the back.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 17, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1471601025752743948

I love the idea of Boris attending a “pizza party”. Was there jelly and ice cream too?!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

I love the idea of Boris attending a “pizza party”. Was there jelly and ice cream too?!

Was it not one of those underground "pizza parties" in the tunnels beneath Westminster? BSJ supports under-sea tunneling projects because he's trying to assess the feasibility of a chord tunnel from London to Little St. James

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Surely they had the unlimited ice cream machine deal where you pile gummy bears and chocolate buttons on top of the ice cream until you throw up.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Skarsnik posted:

It doesn't mention pubs as such but we are assuming we'll be going back to seated only/table service etc. Rule of six possibly

Though if cases keep rising as they are a last minute Xmas cancel like last time wouldn't surprise me

If the case rate doubles every 2 days and it's on 88,376 now, it would exceed the population of Wales the day the Christmas sales start. That's also when we're expecting to get good data on severity.
Calculations assume an infinite supply of frictionless, perfectly spherical Welsh people, but I think it's fair to anticipate the same thing as last year where SAGE realised they had to bounce the PM into making the right decision by releasing more and more horrifying forecasts until Boris' reality shield finally ablated. The prerequisite for the decision is him thinking there's no other choice, though really that moment was a week or two ago.
Calling it for an evening announcement on the 22nd.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
its not doubling every two days though is it?

*it proceeds to absolutely double every two days*

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So 2 weeks into being a dad and all I can say is thank gently caress I had 3 weeks of holiday saved up to tack onto the end of my pat leave.

My company isn't really that great with the benefits and only provides the government mandated minimum (same goes for pension contributions) so they just give me the two weeks off.

At 2 weeks though, we're still not 100% on the feeding or sleeping schedule. My other half is pulling her hair out at the lack of sleep she has due to his feeding cycle (1 hour feeding/changing/settling him and he's up again an hour and a half later for more). He also still has jaundice, spits up a lot after every feed and goes through clothes super quickly as a result.

If I was back at work on Monday and wasn't here helping with what little I can, I'm not sure how she'd cope.

How does it work in other countries or is paternity leave just one of those things that are free market hosed and it's down to how generous a company is to pay you to be off looking after your new kid.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NHS hospitals in England 94% full before start of Omicron surge

quote:

Hospitals in England are already 94% full, with four out of five critical care beds occupied, even before the spread of the Omicron variant of coronavirus has started to cause a big influx of patients.

NHS Providers said the figures were “worrying” and it expressed concern that Omicron was already resulting in large numbers of NHS staff being off ill, especially in London.

Chris Hopson, the organisation’s chief executive, said: “It is worrying that 94% of hospital beds and 81% of critical care beds are already full, given the new Omicron variant is in its early stages and has so far led to only a relatively small number of people needing hospital care.

“However, with infection levels rising rapidly, trust leaders are increasingly clear that they are likely to see significant numbers of extra Covid-19 patients over the coming weeks. What remains unclear is how many patients and with what severity of illness.”

:toot:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1471601025752743948

NORMAN

NORMAN I OUGHTN'T TO WONDER IF THEY PLAYED CONNECT 4, NORMAN

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Did not know this:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1471621182889803777?s=20

Otherwise, my feeling on looking at the results of the various by-elections (councils) is that on the whole the tories are getting a punch in the gob, but not in all cases.
But as it is council by-elections, local factors play bigger role.

New sankey diagram on where 2019 tory voters are going on this page here:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/polling/2021/12/how-worried-should-boris-johnson-be-about-labours-poll-leads

Grey is apathy, purple is refuk (former brexit/ukip)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Quick, going out to register Apathy as my party name.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Grey is embarrassed to say you're still voting conservative

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
surely anyone who's really into apathy would vote keith party

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Genuinely apathetic people wouldn't have taken part in the survey

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Kin posted:

So 2 weeks into being a dad and all I can say is thank gently caress I had 3 weeks of holiday saved up to tack onto the end of my pat leave.

My company isn't really that great with the benefits and only provides the government mandated minimum (same goes for pension contributions) so they just give me the two weeks off.

At 2 weeks though, we're still not 100% on the feeding or sleeping schedule. My other half is pulling her hair out at the lack of sleep she has due to his feeding cycle (1 hour feeding/changing/settling him and he's up again an hour and a half later for more). He also still has jaundice, spits up a lot after every feed and goes through clothes super quickly as a result.

If I was back at work on Monday and wasn't here helping with what little I can, I'm not sure how she'd cope.

How does it work in other countries or is paternity leave just one of those things that are free market hosed and it's down to how generous a company is to pay you to be off looking after your new kid.

It gets easier my friend

I burned through a lot of box sets last Christmas doing then night feeds

At the time it killed me, on reflection now though I loved having that one on one time with my ween

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Homemade paneer is always crumbly. It is impossible to apply enough pressure to make it firm. It still tastes OK but crumbling it into a curry just isn't the same.

Flavoured gin is the way to go. Once the mixer is in there you can barely taste the gin.

One of my colleagues tested positive yesterday, probably with Delta as that's still the main strain around here. Work still has not told any of us who were in the office with him at the beginning of the week, despite the fact that we created an entire sign-in system designed for this. The result is that all of us who were potentially exposed carried on staffing the customer service desk and attending in-person meetings. One of those meetings was with half a dozen university students, who are travelling home for Christmas to various places all around the country this weekend.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
who's the person going from boris giturdone party to lib dems

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I had no idea either. RIP Lily.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
How I imagine all the new dads in this thread:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

who's the person going from boris giturdone party to lib dems

going from a man with no principles just a desire for power, to a party with no principles just a desire for power, you say?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

learnincurve posted:

My lad has been officially put on the incapable for work list but as a added bit of torture, as a treat, we won't know what money he will be entitled to for another 7 working days.

Huh that's weird I've literally never had a decision come without them saying how much I'll be getting on the same piece of paper. Hopefully they'll tell you it's All, but at least he's on the incapable list, from personal experience that much alone must be a load off.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
if people had voted for that nice jeremy corbyn man we would have housing and large beer for all and good schemes for the young people right now :mad:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

crispix posted:

if people had voted for that nice jeremy corbyn man we would have housing and large beer for all and good schemes for the young people right now :mad:

But also Israel would have been nuked because he's an antisemite

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
im pretty sure he said he wasnt going to press any buttons

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
we should write him letters now he's been forgotten about as history's greatest antisemite, he puts you in mind of a man who appreciates good penpersonship

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1471658542193127425
something something lib dem fightback

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, yes that's been the lib dem campaign strategy in literally every election for the past several years.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Only the Lib Dems can beat Principles here *points at your face*

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1471662794860867584
https://twitter.com/LizzyBuchan/status/1471657206953263112
if they've actually overturned a 23k majority in a Leave seat on 45%+ turnout, Gove's gonna be reaching for his backstabbing knives by sunrise

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
loooool if keith causes actual lib dem fight back

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Huge if true

(Not kidding; the Tories traditionally have the low cunning needed to actually act on blood in the water and even if it doesn't flip, a big enough swing that it even looks credible is going to be a massive boost to anyone looking to replace Boris. "He's clearly destroying our party's reputation and with it ensuring that our historic win in 2019 will be a one-time affair.")

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Ms Adequate posted:

Huge if true

(Not kidding; the Tories traditionally have the low cunning needed to actually act on blood in the water and even if it doesn't flip, a big enough swing that it even looks credible is going to be a massive boost to anyone looking to replace Boris. "He's clearly destroying our party's reputation and with it ensuring that our historic win in 2019 will be a one-time affair.")

my guess: lots of media speculation, but Johnson simply refuses to resign without a formal 1922 challenge, and the plotters get cold feet amidst uncertainty on how CON base reacts to Omicron lockdowns

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ronya posted:

my guess: lots of media speculation, but Johnson simply refuses to resign without a formal 1922 challenge, and the plotters get cold feet amidst uncertainty on how CON base reacts to Omicron lockdowns

If it falls short I do think this is the most likely outcome, just by a less overwhelming degree than if there was a solid Tory victory. If the Lib Dems have successfully Fought Back then I think things get a lot more spicy.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
FBPE about to become more insufferable if the libs really have pulled this off.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its the "Progressive Alliance" weirdos that will be the most irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
34% swing and a 6k Lib Dem majority, hahaha.