Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Those three tests will literally not detect Omicron. It might be spun or sensationalized to scare people in some media, but that's just a fact.

Omicron has mutations in the gene targets such that those PCRs will produce false negatives for Omicron. That's all there is to it.

edit: frosty wintertime selfie

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No human has gotten false results because of this. Selling this as some "tests are inaccurate! we don't know what brands!!!" is stupid and only intended to trick people into thinking tests they may have taken are now inaccurate.
You're misunderstanding the article.

It is in fact saying those tests don't detect you have covid at all, if the covid you have is Omicron-flavor. That's because they use specific gene sequences for detection, and Omicron doesn't have those. The article itself says you'll be a false negative on a PCR test.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
PCR tests work by looking for certain signatures in the virus genome and amplifying them until they are super visible. Each one of these locations is called a "site". Some tests only have one site, and other tests have multiple sites. For tests that have one site, if that single site is compromised then the test returns a false negative for something with a mutation at the site. The deletions in the nucleocapsid gene of Omicron are causing some of these single-site tests to fail because they affect the only region they check for.

Most of the tests that check for multiple sites are fine, although one of them on the FDA list is affected because Omicron happens to change all three of the sites it checks for.

Some of the multi-site tests are valuable because if only one site fails it can tell us about what sort of underlying mutations the sample has. For example, a common deletion on the spike gene at a commonly tested site (called S-Gene Target failure) that Alpha and Omicron both have allowed us to tell them apart from Delta, since Delta did not have this signature. That being said, these are imperfect because other lineages can carry these mutations too, and it is not required that every single ancestor of a given lineage has the same mutations.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
How do rapid (e.g. BinaxNow) tests work? Are they gonna pick up Omicron if some PCRs arent?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Morrow posted:

Sadly there's going to be no great revelation. Covid-19 will eventually mutate into a less severe, still highly infectious form and just become part of the normal background of everyday diseases. Long Covid will be a normal occurrence, fiercely denied for decades until finally perfunctorily acknowledged as a legitimate disability after those welfare systems have been gutted. Rural healthcare will be hollowed out, as competent workers burn out, quit, or get fired and be either replaced with ideologues or just never replaced. America will be even more bitter and angry at itself.

I was in India very briefly during the tail end of their Delta wave this year and things were still functioning, more or less. It doesn't have to attenuate for a sufficiently cruel society to want to or be able to slog through it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

MadJackal posted:

I’ve really got to write down the annual exam I had with an RN who told me she lost her job due to refusing to get vaccinated, had her entire family get sick from COVID resulting in the deaths of one son and her father in law, and telling me proudly that she has taken part in anti-mask anti-vax protests marches that passed right by my office a month or so ago. Oh and how masks are making everyone hypoxic, but had nothing to say when I got a pulse ox and placed it on her finger (crappy cloth mask) then my finger (N95 plus surgical) and magically we both had SpO2s flipping between 97-98%.

She’s basically my perfect example of how dumb, confident, paranoid idiots would rather die than mentally touch the third rail idea that their beliefs are wrong and have directly lead to immense suffering of everyone around them and themselves.

I admire your self-control

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

MadJackal posted:

She’s basically my perfect example of how dumb, confident, paranoid idiots would rather die than mentally touch the third rail idea that their beliefs are wrong and have directly lead to immense suffering of everyone around them and themselves.
Human beings' inability to change behavior/course of action in the event of new facts/reality being presented to them will be our collective downfall.

Alctel posted:

I admire your self-control
Same. I'd be Sam Kinison levels of screaming. Just without all the misogyny and homophobia.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Very interesting

https://twitter.com/davidzweig/status/1471585312178638863?s=20

The hysteria about wearing masks seems to not be based on solid science.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
So as a sidenote, widespread vaccination always tokk considerable effort. It was insane to me that smallpox infact took a massive effort to eliminate because people stopped caring once the case load was low enough, had to have multiple groups push the un for funding to have the eridication program happen.

Covid also has been massively politicized, more so then any other vaccine in history, made worse by the Wakefield fucker that is heavily pushed by social media and antivax groups. You can imagine that if this were instead a new polio or measles strain and outbreak that didn't react to traditional vaccines, we would be seeing the same issues in today's cultural climate because of the same groups. The intial success of vaccine schedules and the elimination of many of these diseases comes from a time where it was easier to get people to understand the importance of the vaccines to prevent crippling infections, and that the doctor would always do what was best for the patient ( this is not infact true but public perception and all). Now we have 24/7 social media and algorithms to make it so everyone can find out what they want to hear.

I honestly shudder to think of what a new outbreak of polio would be like now if we didn't have a vaccine. The long term effects of that disease are just scary and terrible, let alone measles which can infect everyone in a building in the matter of a day. Hell a meningitis outbreak can be serious and deadly, and the vaccine actively has been used to help prevent cases for years.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

UCS Hellmaker posted:

So as a sidenote, widespread vaccination always tokk considerable effort. It was insane to me that smallpox infact took a massive effort to eliminate because people stopped caring once the case load was low enough, had to have multiple groups push the un for funding to have the eridication program happen.
eadly, and the vaccine actively has been used to help prevent cases for years.

Don't forget the Soviets pushing hard on that.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Vorik posted:

Read the article you linked.

It's about a single study and the complaints are, to be honest, the nitpicking that can be applied to any study and seem to have little bearing on the actual conclusions. Half the things they mention are explicitly addressed by the authors.

Yet even if this one study was garbage, it isn't the only thing we know about masks.

You don't find one paper on a subject and wave it around to support your conclusion (or discredit it to prove some counterpoint). You read all the papers and weigh the overall evidence.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 16, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

StratGoatCom posted:

Don't forget the Soviets pushing hard on that.

Surprisingly also because they kept getting smallpox outbreaks because of some countries by them being one of the last places with it! But yeah the USSR played a big part it pushing the un to follow through and getting the WHO to work on it

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Surprisingly also because they kept getting smallpox outbreaks because of some countries by them being one of the last places with it! But yeah the USSR played a big part it pushing the un to follow through and getting the WHO to work on it

Yeah one of the last big outbreaks was Yugoslavia IIRC.

That being said even with the major superpowers teaming up to vaccinate the hell out of everyone in the globe with a 95% effective vaccine that still prevents the disease if you get it within three days of exposure, it still took what, a decade or two of concerted effort?

It's not impossible by any means but doing the same for COVID is going to require a Herculean effort by comparison.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

enki42 posted:

Explain to me how you forcibly lock down the 20% of the population. The one thing our Premier tried in Ontario was giving police the power to question random people on the street, and that was (quite rightly) met with intense opposition. Enforcing limits on private gatherings and assembling outside in practice means enforcing limits on private gatherings and assembling outside for poor and undesirable populations, probably much more harshly than you're thinking.

Like there's no world where you assemble your super progressive COVID eradication squad who only goes after the chuddy people refusing lockdown and doesn't say "oh i don't need justification to stop people on the street? looks like a lot of black folk are suddenly disobeying COVID orders!"

Contract it out to Antifa

Jeez do I have to think of everything

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Zisky posted:

I'm not sure someone advocating for less lockdowns is the person most militant for lockdowns.

Yeah it's almost as though my opinion has changed over the past two years as a direct result of living through a developing situation in which lockdowns no longer achieved their established purpose because of a weary populace and a far more contagious strain.

It's fascinating to me how many people here are stridently zero-COVID but have no apparent curiosity about reading what the zero-COVID experience (and its subsequent collapse) was actually like from the people living it. China, fair enough, none of us speak Chinese, but there are two affluent English-speaking countries that did this, and there is an entire internet out there stacked full of articles and op-eds and tweets and personal accounts that might give you a bit more of an inkling as to why and how Australia and New Zealand were forced to abandon zero-COVID rather than just chalking it up to "brunchers gotta brunch."

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah one of the last big outbreaks was Yugoslavia IIRC.

Yugoslavia, despite being communist, wasn't in the Soviet block except for a few years.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Read the article you linked.

It's about a single study and the complaints are, to be honest, the nitpicking that can be applied to any study and seem to have little bearing on the actual conclusions. Half the things they mention are explicitly addressed by the authors.

Yet even if this one study was garbage, it isn't the only thing we know about masks.

You don't find one paper on a subject and wave it around to support your conclusion (or discredit it to prove some counterpoint). You read all the papers and weigh the overall evidence.

Ignore Vorik, he's been making GBS threads up the USPOL thread with a similar shtick for weeks.

Anyway, back to topic:

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/s...genumber%3D2908

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Yugoslavia, despite being communist, wasn't in the Soviet block except for a few years.

Yeah I'm aware of that but I'm assuming Hellmaker was referring to countries geographically nearby that did have travel between them.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

freebooter posted:

Yeah it's almost as though my opinion has changed over the past two years as a direct result of living through a developing situation in which lockdowns no longer achieved their established purpose because of a weary populace and a far more contagious strain.

It's fascinating to me how many people here are stridently zero-COVID but have no apparent curiosity about reading what the zero-COVID experience (and its subsequent collapse) was actually like from the people living it. China, fair enough, none of us speak Chinese, but there are two affluent English-speaking countries that did this, and there is an entire internet out there stacked full of articles and op-eds and tweets and personal accounts that might give you a bit more of an inkling as to why and how Australia and New Zealand were forced to abandon zero-COVID rather than just chalking it up to "brunchers gotta brunch."

The "weary populace" and "brunchers gotta brunch" are synonymous though. Even with the variants China isn't exactly doing year long regional hard lockdowns

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Morrow posted:

Covid-19 will eventually mutate into a less severe, still highly infectious form and just become part of the normal background of everyday diseases. L

There is no guarantee of this happening.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

nexous posted:

At some point in the future, after X million deaths, it will become clear that Covid isn't just going to go away and we can't just live with it. When we run out of Doctors, nurses, teachers, retail workers, truck drivers due to fatigue, death, disability, refusal to work with the public. Some sort of actual zero-covid lockdown will need to occur. It very well may be impossible at this moment, but at some point the scale will tip, and politicians will decide that it's worth it. We're driving on flat tires here, and the car is going to give out unless we pull over and replace them. But people are content and saying "it's just a little bumpy, learn to live with it."

Obviously im in the minority of this thread thinking that, but I really believe it and would like to be heard.

Covid isn't even close to being able to cause enough death and suffering for that scenario to play out. If it kills 50 million more people worldwide it'll barely be mentioned in 10 years.

Wang Commander posted:

The "weary populace" and "brunchers gotta brunch" are synonymous though. Even with the variants China isn't exactly doing year long regional hard lockdowns

I think after months of lockdown in Melbourne, my friend and her 3 kids under 8 with an absent father in a two bed unit where less about the brunching and more about seeing their family and not killing themselves, but you're probably right, she's just selfish.

Lockdown was a piece of piss for me. boredom being the main enemy. But gently caress if i don't know lot of people trapped in tiny apartments in the wrong state or country, on their own, for whom "weary populace" is a very good descriptor.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Illuminti posted:

Covid isn't even close to being able to cause enough death and suffering for that scenario to play out. If it kills 50 million more people worldwide it'll barely be mentioned in 10 years.

What makes you think it will be gone in 10 years?

After 2 years it’s crippled the US health and teaching industries. It’s put the supply chains at the brink of collapse. How much more damage can a completely JIT supply chain take before falling apart?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vorik posted:

Very interesting

In lieu of a 6er for not actually explaining this thing you're posting, I'm going to let you know that your gimmick isn't going to be as left open to the hurly burly of public argument here as it has been in CE so please return there with it or make a thread for posting chud bait and going "hmm, interesting"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Wang Commander posted:

The "weary populace" and "brunchers gotta brunch" are synonymous though.

The brunch places were closed so that would have been quite a trick

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

nexous posted:

What makes you think it will be gone in 10 years?

Because everyone susceptible to it will be dead? Because.....every pandemic we've ever had has ended?

nexous posted:

After 2 years it’s crippled the US health and teaching industries. It’s put the supply chains at the brink of collapse. How much more damage can a completely JIT supply chain take before falling apart?

To be fair the US health service was already crippled. And the mass death you predict will make the government commit to lockdowns is probably more likely to make them open up more so the supply chains are ok.

It's poo poo, but Covid simply isn't deadly enough to inspire the kind of action required to stop it.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

freebooter posted:

The brunch places were closed so that would have been quite a trick

Brunch here is just emblematic of a compulsion to indulge in the treats of capitalism that are the only thing most westerners know they can get satisfaction from. Bars, hair appointments, shopping in person, etc.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Wang Commander posted:

Brunch here is just emblematic of a compulsion to indulge in the treats of capitalism that are the only thing most westerners know they can get satisfaction from. Bars, hair appointments, shopping in person, etc.

Yes, and that's substantively different from visiting close family you haven't seen in years or having some sort of funeral/wedding ceremony. Not all human social interactions are as frivolous or carry the same pandemic risks as brunching and it's disingenuous to lump them all together.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Wang Commander posted:

The rulebreakers that were causing the spread (and they weren't the primary drivers, essential workers were) during Melbourne's failed Delta lockdown weren't doing any of those things because they were all closed. They were visiting friends and family in private homes. I don't approve of that - it was against the rules for a reason - but wanting to see your loved ones after a gruelling year-and-a-half of on/off lockdowns is not in the same ballpark as ~The Treats of Capitalism~. Not everything is about capitalism!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Why does it need to get through Congress? Can’t the president just order it to happen? USA Today seems to say that he can: https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5582667002

That link says, very clearly, that the president can't just spend money by executive order.

quote:

The U.S. Constitution grants Congress the country’s spending power. David Super, a constitutional law expert teaching at Georgetown University, said that means the president cannot spend money without congressional authorization, "whether by executive order or presidential memorandum or anything else."

However, Congress can provide money that is contingent on the president releasing it, in which case, an executive order could release funds, if that’s what Congress called for, he said.

“Congress could pass a law saying, ‘Give this money to the farmers in Iowa’ in which case the farmers get the money. Or Congress could say, ‘Give this money to the farmers in Iowa, if you find they need it,’” Super said. “In that case, the money wouldn't go out unless and until the president made a finding that it was needed, and if he did make that finding, then it would go out.”

In “Presidential Spending Discretion and Congressional Controls,” constitutional expert Louis Fisher breaks down several examples of presidents exercising the power to decide what money goes where with contingency funds, sometimes in ways that weren’t appropriated by Congress.

In 1961, for example, President John F. Kennedy issued an executive order establishing the Peace Corps. The agency wasn’t appropriated funding until seven months later, but in the meantime, Kennedy financed the corps by using over a million dollars in contingency funds from the Mutual Security Act.

[b]Congress has moved before to curb abuse of contingency funds by the executive branch. Fisher wrote that in 1959, a subcommittee in the House specifically denied funding for an Incentive Investment Program proposed by the executive administration. That denial was omitted from the final appropriation bill passed by Congress, and the president used his contingency fund to start the program anyways.

The House Appropriations Committee claimed that the president was using the contingency fund to override the actions of Congress, so in a later bill, it was written that no funds appropriated for the president’s contingency fund “shall be used for any project or activity for which an estimate has been submitted to Congress and which estimate has been rejected.”

Generally, presidents are not allowed to shuffle around contingency funds, Super said. If a president decided he wanted to move money from our imaginary contingency fund for Iowa farmers and give it to Texas health care workers, that wouldn’t be allowed.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

freebooter posted:

The rulebreakers that were causing the spread (and they weren't the primary drivers, essential workers were) during Melbourne's failed Delta lockdown weren't doing any of those things because they were all closed. They were visiting friends and family in private homes. I don't approve of that - it was against the rules for a reason - but wanting to see your loved ones after a gruelling year-and-a-half of on/off lockdowns is not in the same ballpark as ~The Treats of Capitalism~. Not everything is about capitalism!

In-person interaction is absolutely frivolous at this point! It's the luxury car of interaction! Drive the Prius of interaction down the information superhighway! This is obvious in the 2020s.

Also lol if you managed to sustain a population wide R over 1 on essential workers alone you were not deploying adequate mitigations in essential workplaces period.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Main Paineframe posted:

That link says, very clearly, that the president can't just spend money by executive order.

Congress funds a lot of things so highly classified even they don't know what they are. I wonder if the President could hide other executive projects in the black budget.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Wang Commander posted:

In-person interaction is absolutely frivolous at this point!

Not for most people, it isn't. I recognize that, by virtue of this being an internet forum and the demographics that are most represented in it, a lot of posters feel *very* differently. But, that doesn't change the fact that you are wrong.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Wang Commander posted:

In-person interaction is absolutely frivolous at this point! It's the luxury car of interaction! Drive the Prius of interaction down the information superhighway! This is obvious in the 2020s.

:goonsay:

It is in fact critical and unavoidable for most people on the planet, even setting aside purely social/recreational activities.

It is particularly important for children everywhere, actually.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

Yes, and that's substantively different from visiting close family you haven't seen in years or having some sort of funeral/wedding ceremony. Not all human social interactions are as frivolous or carry the same pandemic risks as brunching and it's disingenuous to lump them all together.
You can still do all of that without breaking lockdown, you're acting like MMORPGs don't even exist

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Fritz the Horse posted:

:goonsay:

It is in fact critical and unavoidable for most people on the planet, even setting aside purely social/recreational activities.

It is particularly important for children everywhere, actually.

People historically lived in tiny communities and moved at walking speed, they were interacting with tiny circles and not going to big events or regional tournaments or whatever from like age 4

There are more people in a cheesecake factory than your ancestors saw in a lifetime

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Wang Commander posted:

Thank god we will finally reach zero covid when the Facebook Metaverse makes in person socialization obsolete

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Australian here: zero-covid failed here because Sydney had a too-little too-late response. It failed because covid policy was an economic one from liberal government that was torn between not spooking capital by locking down too hard and maintaining capital by not letting the virus get out of control, and because when lockdown happened there wasnt quite enough political will to effectively lock down, to pay people to be secure at home (and make it easily accessible), or to do it right. Delta hit the half-assed alpha-proven lockdowns of Melbourne about as well as anyone reading this thread now understands and as they found the sweet spot on the dial they were dealing with news of it exploding next door. Every single day the affected states were forced to be glued to a new press conference that slightly modified the rules in order to dial in a balance between angering "business" and addressing the national health crisis. Contact tracing was quickly overloaded despite months of pre-warning about delta. Everyone was intensely confused about the rules they had to follow and the goalposts were forever moving in a landscape of intense media scrutiny and falsehoods.

Public will is going to run out when they see it not working, yes, or when it drags on way too long because of poo poo policy that was openly dragging it out because of torn policital interests.

There are still states that are effectively zero covid and will be until January when the god-bothering prime minister and his cohort force them to open wide for their economic medicine.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

VitalSigns posted:

You can still do all of that without breaking lockdown, you're acting like MMORPGs don't even exist

oh come the gently caress on if you're not trolling with this you're being willfully ignorant or delusional

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Vorik posted:

Very interesting

You should definitely wear a physical barrier between the orifices through which you breathe out and others in order to minimize spread. Ideally, as little porous a physical barrier as possible. Also, do not listen to anything The Atlantic puts out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Hashy posted:

There are still states that are effectively zero covid and will be until January when the god-bothering prime minister and his cohort force them to open wide for their economic medicine.

How popular is zero covid in the states that haven't hosed it yet? Is there any willingness to secede or have people been duped into thinking "living with the virus" is possible