Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Freedom isn't free twerps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Just gotta moan softly during the manual check and it goes by a lot quicker.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"feel that heat?"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I had to get my rear end felt up by the TSA for thanksgiving. It was hard not to crack up having them call this man up to massage my butt while other passengers shuffled by shoeless, coatless, and beltless. World's lamest swingers' club.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

It amazes me that there are people in TYOOL 2021 who don't have Precheck. It's the single greatest travel purchase out there and super cheap

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ranbo das posted:

It amazes me that there are people in TYOOL 2021 who don't have Precheck. It's the single greatest travel purchase out there and super cheap

The fact that my choices are "pay an extra $85" or "get molested in public" isn't a great one. Yeah, pre check is helpful but why do I have to pay for that poo poo?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

jivjov posted:

The fact that my choices are "pay an extra $85" or "get molested in public" isn't a great one. Yeah, pre check is helpful but why do I have to pay for that poo poo?

Yeah, it really depends on who you are as a person too. I've been through TSA many times and have never been stopped to get felt up, which I mostly chalk up to being a white softboy. It's really convenient but they could at least pretend they thought I could blow up a plane.

If you are, oh idk, the demographics that they pretend they aren't hyperaware of despite making up a tiny percent of actual terrorist events it's probably worth more.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I refuse to take off my belt for the scanner, because the whole thing is a bunch of bullshit, so occasionally I get felt up. God I hate the stupid security theater.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well we haven't had any 9/11s since we started molesting people at the airport. Who's to say if it's not necessary to stick fingers in people's assholes to prevent more of them???

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I had to get my rear end felt up by the TSA for thanksgiving. It was hard not to crack up having them call this man up to massage my butt while other passengers shuffled by shoeless, coatless, and beltless. World's lamest swingers' club.

Emitting a high pitched pisbury doughboy laugh usually helps to speed up the process.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"pissbury doughboy" was trump's secret service call sign

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Professor Beetus posted:

Well we haven't had any 9/11s since we started molesting people at the airport. Who's to say if it's not necessary to stick fingers in people's assholes to prevent more of them???

My posting is keeping the tigers away

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

jivjov posted:

It's less than $20/yr and basically reverts airport security to the nothing it used to be.

You're already paying more than that just in fees they tack onto the tickets. It shouldn't be a thing period sure but also I can't imagine traveling without it. Forget $20 a year I'd pay $20 a flight for it.

Really basic security should be precheck levels (bag and person through xray) and precheck should be just a straight security bypass but unfortunately they'll never do that because they'd lose too much money

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 16, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ranbo das posted:

It's less than $20/yr and basically reverts airport security to the nothing it used to be.

You're already paying more than that just in fees they tack onto the tickets. It shouldn't be a thing period sure but also I can't imagine traveling without it. Forget $20 a year I'd pay $20 a flight for it.

Really basic security should be precheck levels (bag and person through xray) and precheck should be just a straight security bypass but unfortunately they'll never do that because they'd lose too much money

Yeah I wasn't travelling more than 2-3 times a year, but there was one flight that I almost missed because I didn't realize it was Spring Break. I would have gladly payed $80 on the spot just to get pre-check for that flight. Once I got it I couldn't believe I waited so long.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I fly very infrequently but I got precheck this year and it really is amazing. Getting your own short cadillac line is nice and a plus but going through just a regular metal detector and keeping your belt and shoes on is the real best part. Dignity only costs $20 a year. I'm going to reupping for life.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I paid $100 for Global Entry. It comes with Pre-Check, but the money doesn't go to the TSA. It goes to CBP instead, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Also I get to take a short line when I re-enter the country.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

I paid $100 for Global Entry. It comes with Pre-Check, but the money doesn't go to the TSA. It goes to CBP instead, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Also customs is a breeze

If you only do carry on you can go from plane to car in like half an hour, it's amazing

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Professor Beetus posted:

Sorry to hear about your firing, Urban.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ranbo das posted:

The problem with precheck now is that pretty much everyone has it and the lines are just as long if not longer than the non precheck lines. Sucks

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

The problem with precheck now is that pretty much everyone has it and the lines are just as long if not longer than the non precheck lines. Sucks

Step 4- Put Fastpass Precheck Everywhere

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Safety Dance posted:

The TSA is the Barney Fife of the Federal police agencies.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
flying as a transfem who hasn't had GCS yet is just a fun game of "which body parts will flag the thing based on which gender button the TSA presses" every single time.

my junk flagged once when i was heading to seattle (yay they pressed the girl button) and i was just so tired and annoyed (at other things that happened that day) that when the agent came over to feel me up he was like "we flagged an anomaly in your groin" and i just shot him an icy stare and said "yeah that's just my girldick." and you could see the color drain from his face.

e:

Brawnfire posted:

They need to calibrate for mouthfeel

ugh, as much as i hate contrapoints i use the mouthfeel line a LOT. i should stop, but it's honestly great

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 17, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They need to calibrate for mouthfeel

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ranbo das posted:

You are missing the point I'm making. My point is I have to pay off the government to not get molested by the TSA. No part of this is a win. Participate in the extortion racket or get my cock and balls groped by some jackoff cop that's flunked out of "real" cop school but couldn't be assed to get a real job.

All the more proof that TSA is all theater. Why does "having $85" suddenly make me incapable of smuggling bad things onto a plane? Hmmm it's almost like it's not about security at all, but enriching contractors.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 17, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
There's a degree of preliminary background check involved so it's not purely "pay $$$ and get a check mark in your pass" but it's also not far from it, either.

I too loathe the security theater aspect of it. One change is probably responsible for there not being any more hijackings, and it's requiring the cockpit door be reinforced and locked shut during flight. Plus a little "passengers are not going to go along with that poo poo any more".

Given the laughably abysmal detection rate for red-team testing of bomb and gun penetration, security theater is not an exaggeration

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

If you're proud of your country, you're a goddamn sociopath. Which is still less sociopathic than being proud of some other country and moving there.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

jivjov posted:

You are missing the point I'm making. My point is I have to pay off the government to not get molested by the TSA. No part of this is a win. Participate in the extortion racket or get my cock and balls groped by some jackoff cop that's flunked out of "real" cop school but couldn't be assed to get a real job.

All the more proof that TSA is all theater. Why does "having $85" suddenly make me incapable of smuggling bad things onto a plane? Hmmm it's almost like it's not about security at all, but enriching contractors.

I dont know why you think my stance of "abolish the TSA" means that I'm somehow on their side.

Remember when the TSA wouldnt let you have a laptop on international flights because ISIS managed to create a laptop bomb and then ISIS didn't even try to put it on a plane?

Most of their "precautions" do nothing and even if we totally eliminated any security checks on passengers, flying would still be significantly safer than driving. Even stuff like locking the cabin doors has ended up costing people their lives and is nothing but security theater.

If we were actually concerned about passenger safety, we'd get rid of the TSA, go back to open cockpits, and spend all that cash on actual training and engineering to make the planes and crews safer. You know, the things that actually cause crashes, not "terrorists"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

GoutPatrol posted:

Seen here: history in action

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

jivjov posted:

Hell I pay more than 20 bucks to get my cock and balls fondled, so flying without precheck feels like the government is paying me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ranbo das posted:

I dont know why you think my stance of "abolish the TSA" means that I'm somehow on their side.

It was the bit where you were trying to tell me what a fantastic financial bargain it is to "only" have to pay $85 to not get groped by the TSA.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bad font choices but I didn't think this was the thread for making GBS threads on bog-standard religiosity.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"I'm not religious, I have a personal relationship with Jesus" is a very specific piece of double-think bullshit used by Evangelical theocrat types to pretend that their religion is not covered by the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, so yeah it's political as hell in that it's a fig leaf justification for going all Handmaid's Tale.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

Bad font choices but I didn't think this was the thread for making GBS threads on bog-standard religiosity.

I think the "I'm not religious" part is the kicker. It's a big, and real weird, sentiment where I'm from (rural NW Georgia) that Christianity isn't a religion for... reasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Devorum posted:

I think the "I'm not religious" part is the kicker. It's a big, and real weird, sentiment where I'm from (rural NW Georgia) that Christianity isn't a religion for... reasons.

Yup, it's the "I don't care what religion you are, Christian, Jewish, Muslim! Just as long as you pray to Jesus!"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

“I want you to be free to do whatever you want, as long as you only want the things I want you to want” is political in 100% of cases no matter how it’s framed

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ive always took that as a dig at catholicism. they dont have a "religion" in that they are not taking orders from Rome on how to worship god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't know how many times I've heard people tell me that the separation of church and state does not mean freedom from religion - only freedom of religion. It makes no sense at all, but so many tall tales have been invented about the First Amendment that a lot of people don't even know what it says or does.