Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Don't forget they raised prices like 20% during a pandemic when nobody was even playing on already overpriced ships :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

To quote a Warhammer maxim: buying is the hobby

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Funny thing is I played more X-Wing last year than I ever did before or since because I was stuck on a navy ship and it was the easiest war game to introduce to people and didn’t take up that much room when put away. Thankfully Amazon delivered to Europe.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Looks like we’re getting a preview of the final new rules and a “tournament scenario.”

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1471146668305362945

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

it's only gonna get worse

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-12-15-embracer-purchases-asmodee-for-275bn

quote:

Today Embracer Group announced that it has purchased French board game publisher Asmodee.

The purchase would be for €2.75 billion ($3.1 billion), €350 million ($394 million) of which will be paid in newly issued Embracer shares.

Asmodee will continue to operate as it has before the acquisition with no organizational changes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Some stuff from stream

You can attack primary only at range 0
No bonus die at range 0
Ships that could previous shoot at 0 treat it like range 1
Can't tractor ships onto rocks anymore
Intimidation ept is banned in standard
Overlap an enemy focus or Calc take a stress skip perform action step
Rocks: take 1 dmg then roll for more dmg
Gas clouds: break locks, gain strain, roll die on his 1 ion crit 3 ions
Debris has other bad thing + roll die for more bad thing

4 archetypical scenarios. One staying close to areas. Snatch and Grab. Another control scenario, about tagging points on the table. Standard dogfight scenario (very similar to current standard play).

Overlap a friendly, roll a die. Hit or Crit, suffer Hit, skip Perform Action

Someone's doing a more detailed recap that'll be posted somewhere online later.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Finally, Arvil can attack at ...range 1...?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

enigmahfc posted:

He gets the range bonus die when shooting a target he's bumping.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

Range 0 doesn't give a bonus die. Arvil gets a bonus die at 0 because his old ability is now mostly meaningless so they're throwing him a tiny bone.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Some stuff from stream

Can't tractor ships onto rocks anymore

Rocks: take 1 dmg then roll for more dmg

Christ, the 2nd one would be brutal without the first one. I got tossed onto more rocks than I could ever hope to remember :cry:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Here's a doc with a little more about what came out:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CjFP1eIvk7dX5OWIWeZGt3uK7dZPGC7S7nmwWl8MMTc/edit

It's from Fly Better podcast I think.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Man, the friendly bump change is dumb as hell, but then most of AMG's rule changes feel like the kind of stuff someone who plays 2 games complains about on forums.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

This is dreadful, because with ROAD there’s going to be so much more bumping.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
what is their issue with swarm lists

why so much hate

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tevery Best posted:

what is their issue with swarm lists

why so much hate

If you read a forum post and learn how horrifying fortressing is, how every game is two fortresses not engaging, then obviously drastic action must be taken.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its really odd because you can just fortress without self bumping with most ships (HMPs, anything with a 1 turn) and scenarios are supposed to make you want to leave your area anyway.

This seems even less fun for new players who are more likely to accidentally bump their own ships while learning the game.

RIP Ties, Interceptors, vultures, Tri fighters, basically anything fragile.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
It's such a weird collection of changes, basically everything is more punishing of mistakes, more complicated to play, or both, which is not conducive to attracting new players.

Now bumping and obstacle rules are just as annoying to look up as bombs! (The literal worst design decision in all of X-Wing is that the rules for what different bombs DO is so annoying to find)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think its funny that Sabines TIE is legal because the Imp TIE was released in a black box but an iconic movie ship like the Lambda shuttle isnt because get hosed thats why!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Each update from AMG makes me think that their X-wing "team" is just 1-2 people that are salty from losing games years back and want to change the game so they don't deal with mechanics they don't fully understand that they think are BS.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

The AMG Story - How to Kill a Game in Three Easy Steps

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Bumping is not fun for new players and gives ‘feels bad’ so let’s change that.

Oh yeah, if you accident bump you own ship during round 1 or 2 before any fighting occurs you will take damage. New players rejoice, no ‘feels bad’!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

enigmahfc posted:

Bumping is not fun for new players and gives ‘feels bad’ so let’s change that.

Oh yeah, if you accident bump you own ship during round 1 or 2 before any fighting occurs you will take damage. New players rejoice, no ‘feels bad’!

You know, the worst thing you see as a new player is the 8 tie swarm in a nice, neat, close formation, it's totally unthematic and bad for the game.

I could see maybe AMG thought swarms were too good in their scenarios that involved area control but honestly, I do think scenarios being a part of the competitive game is a fine addition, but it needs to come with a 3.0, where upgrades/pilot/ship abilities actually interact with them and such.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Area control scenarios make no sense for X-Wing, a game where you literally cannot stop outside of niche cases, and are typically some of the most bullshit-prone objective types in miniature games in general.

Beyond being increasingly arcane, these rules are also going to slow down the game by a lot, I feel. Especially the principle that you're not actually bumping into the ship you're bumping (at least consequences-wise), but the ship you would bump if you could move to the end of your movement template.

All this runs counter to their stated objective of making X-Wing more newbie-friendly, but it does follow the other stated objective of making it more "thematic" (according to their perception) and my personal feeling that they start by arbitrarily choosing "this is what feels bad, to me," changing that in the simplest way possible, then building more changes upon that once they notice that it breaks the game. "We want bumping not to be a thing. Bumping into the enemy feels bad. So here's rules to let you bump into the opponent without consequence. But also people can bump themselves for tactical advantage. That's complicated and thus feels bad. Here's a rule to punish you for bumping. That will make the newbies feel bad, but we removed two feelbads for them so it's a net positive. These changes make Intimidation the most powerful talent in the game. Let's ban it. These changes make several pilots obsolete. Let's say they get an extra die while bumping. The house of cards is currently in equilibrium."

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 17, 2021

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Tevery Best posted:

All this runs counter to their stated objective of making X-Wing more newbie-friendly, but it does follow the other stated objective of making it more "thematic" (according to their perception) and my personal feeling that they start by arbitrarily choosing "this is what feels bad, to me," changing that in the simplest way possible, then building more changes upon that once they notice that it breaks the game. "We want bumping not to be a thing. Bumping into the enemy feels bad. So here's rules to let you bump into the opponent without consequence. But also people can bump themselves for tactical advantage. That's complicated and thus feels bad. Here's a rule to punish you for bumping. That will make the newbies feel bad, but we removed two feelbads for them so it's a net positive. These changes make Intimidation the most powerful talent in the game. Let's ban it. These changes make several pilots obsolete. Let's say they get an extra die while bumping. The house of cards is currently in equilibrium."

X-Wing: Triage and Bandages Simulator

Endman
May 18, 2010

This all feels like the sort of thing that happens when you're playing a game in a really insular group without wider experience. I don't think AMG have taken care to pay attention to how the game functions in the wild, which to a certain extent you can blame on Covid, but still doesn't speak well of them.

It definitely feels like a series of ever-weirder bandaids on top of a problem that wasn't really a problem to begin with.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Is there some understanding in terms of AMG thinking that rule changes will bring more people in, or get people that stopped playing due to the perceived issues with the game to come back? I've always had a feeling that X-Wing sales won't really change no matter what the rules are, because people that buy and play the game casually have had many chances to buy in at this point. I just don't see how the rule changes are going to bring more people in, to be honest.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The tinfoil hatter in me says they're killing it so they don't have to touch it anymore and only worry about their baby (Crisis Protocol).

The slightly more sane version of me just thinks that they're just changing it for the sake of change and making it "theirs".

Endman
May 18, 2010

My opinion is that they genuinely want to make the game better, but they're not actually very good at game design and they're caught up with minor issues that they've blown ridiculously out of proportion.

I think if they wanted to kill it, there'd be a much easier way to do that, and it would be to go completely radio silent and not release anything further. The fact that they're making these sorts of insanely massive changes to the rules suggests they do care about the game, if in a weird and misdirected way.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Uh yeah good luck telling Asmodee "why arent we doing anything on this expensive license? uh well we just dont want to. gonna go make MCP now bye" like what?

Endman
May 18, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Uh yeah good luck telling Asmodee "why arent we doing anything on this expensive license? uh well we just dont want to. gonna go make MCP now bye" like what?

Sure, it's a ridiculous assertion, but so is the idea that they hate the game and are trying to kill it on purpose with bad rules. Their corporate overlords wouldn't exactly be happy with either.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's drawing a lot of attention to it that's for sure and to that extent maybe there are just as many players, new and old, Wanging just to see how the new rules feel. This will result in either them quitting or them picking it up as a new hobby.

If poo poo doesn't pan out, AMG will probably pivot in the next rules revision.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

It's drawing a lot of attention to it that's for sure and to that extent maybe there are just as many players, new and old, Wanging just to see how the new rules feel. This will result in either them quitting or them picking it up as a new hobby.

If poo poo doesn't pan out, AMG will probably pivot in the next rules revision.

Judging from the stream I don't think that's in the realm of possibility. The main guy on their stream is a patronizing asshat that talks down to the players and has said "we're changing it and not accepting input, if you don't like it then sorry, you don't have to play"

Endman
May 18, 2010

Floppychop posted:

Judging from the stream I don't think that's in the realm of possibility. The main guy on their stream is a patronizing asshat that talks down to the players and has said "we're changing it and not accepting input, if you don't like it then sorry, you don't have to play"

I suppose I should consider myself lucky I didn’t spend too much getting back in because yikes

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Floppychop posted:

Did he literally say that?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Raged posted:

Did he literally say that?

Yeah, on the the initial stream where they announced ROAD.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
If you had an invite to the last World's that was cancelled you can submit this form to get an invite to the next.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/Resp...HXx-LKXS98VMHvQ

Very glad that I can use my world's invite that "got lost" in the bushfires here.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Haven't played since galactic Republic dropped, sounds like I shouldn't bother coming back though with all the rules changes.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Had a game last night with all the announced rule changes. The new bumping rules suck. I was able to thread my ship through 3 ships without bumping trying to get a kill and had a focus target lock. My opponent screwed up and bumped into me. So now he gets to shoot me and I can't use any of my mods on attack or defence since we are at range 0.

I flew well and he made a mistake yet I was the one punished for it. Feels really, really, bad.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sounds like the game now truly rewards players who fly casual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Raged posted:

Had a game last night with all the announced rule changes. The new bumping rules suck. I was able to thread my ship through 3 ships without bumping trying to get a kill and had a focus target lock. My opponent screwed up and bumped into me. So now he gets to shoot me and I can't use any of my mods on attack or defence since we are at range 0.

I flew well and he made a mistake yet I was the one punished for it. Feels really, really, bad.

From what I gather, you can actually use your mods on defence at R0, you can't use them on offence. What a newbie-friendly rule!