Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hm yes, Nancy Pelosi and the DNC are personally ordering the service chiefs to do this. Definitely a sane theory rather than

I'm figuring a lot of direction on this is coming from Biden, with covid being a bit of a political cluster gently caress and him being commander in chief and all. Might be wrong on that point, willing to accept I am. Just don't see too many people with stars and careers wanting to do anything on this without having someone else's orders to fall back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Also, google maps on my phone has real-time info (traffic, etc.) and map updates for free vs whatever boondoggle my in-dash needs to update.

I can't believe they bother charging for in-dash map updates but I guess there are enough people who cant figure out a map app but can somehow use garmin's bullshit well enough to pay $100/year or whatever they charge.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Yes. Cars in general make up only five of the top twenty-five your list shows.

Yes, that is why “sedans are dead” doesn’t make sense. 3 of the top 10 are straight up sedans. 2 more are crossovers (sedan chassis).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Model 3 sold 206,500 units in the US in 2020 yet it's not on the list

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

its myopia. Sedans are dead in Detroit because they've consistently failed at making one worth a drat for 40 years* and the margins on trucks are crazy better so they finally ceded the genre

*slight exceptions for 90s-10s Ford

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 17, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I liked the way the cybertruck looked, but I don't think I could justify the purchase for a number of reasons. Maybe I'll find one used in a couple years and after there are some reports about how it operates in the cold

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 17, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

I liked the way the cybertruck looked, but I don't think I could justify the purchase for a number of reasons. Maybe I'll find one used in a couple years and after there are some reports about how it operates in the cold

To be available used they have to be available new, and for that they have to actually be produced, so lol.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

its myopia. Sedans are dead in Detroit because they've consistently failed at making one worth a drat for 40 years* and the margins on trucks are crazy better so they finally ceded the genre

*slight exceptions for 90s-10s Ford

its this. the corolla and accord ate their loving lunch so hard they can't even remember what a BLT tastes like.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Grip it and rip it posted:

LOL you think they’ll actually sell those things.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The perfect car is a walkable / bike-able city but good luck convincing anyone you shouldn't need a car and yet our society is forcing people that way because we love the property values in our food deserts.

Like seriously any suburbanites, think of the last time you walked your rear end anywhere.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

shame on an IGA posted:

Like I'm seriously using the google maps navigation for even the shortest trips, the safety gains of completely delegating where I am in relation to the earths surface and having that much more attention to the immediate 200 yard bubble around me have been huge

Dead set.

Basically the only thing I like on a screen in a car, is sat nav. No trying to spy signs and exit markers, no wondering if you took the wrong side street, none of that bullshit. Tell me where to go, spaceman, I'll take care of the rest.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wasabi the J posted:

The perfect car is a walkable / bike-able city but good luck convincing anyone you shouldn't need a car and yet our society is forcing people that way because we love the property values in our food deserts.

Like seriously any suburbanites, think of the last time you walked your rear end anywhere.

It's four miles round trip to my nearest grocery store. ~9.5 to the one I *prefer* going to.

not caring here posted:

Dead set.

Basically the only thing I like on a screen in a car, is sat nav. No trying to spy signs and exit markers, no wondering if you took the wrong side street, none of that bullshit. Tell me where to go, spaceman, I'll take care of the rest.

Yeah, that's my point. People's phones are perfectly capable of taking over infotainment duties on basic cars. That being said, all cars in the US need to have *some* kind of built-in screen for a federally-mandated backup camera.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Midjack posted:

I can't believe they bother charging for in-dash map updates but I guess there are enough people who cant figure out a map app but can somehow use garmin's bullshit well enough to pay $100/year or whatever they charge.

They kind of make sense for places where cell coverage is spotty as gently caress. There are some that will let you load specific off road trails and things onto them too if you want to go gently caress around in the wilderness or something.

Anyone serious about over landing have their own gps and radios though so it’s mostly the casual types that this would apply to I guess.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hekk posted:

They kind of make sense for places where cell coverage is spotty as gently caress. There are some that will let you load specific off road trails and things onto them too if you want to go gently caress around in the wilderness or something.

Anyone serious about over landing have their own gps and radios though so it’s mostly the casual types that this would apply to I guess.

There is a way to download and pre-load offline maps in Google Maps for eventualities like this.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, that's my point. People's phones are perfectly capable of taking over infotainment duties on basic cars. That being said, all cars in the US need to have *some* kind of built-in screen for a federally-mandated backup camera.

I agree, I just like the maps to be easier to read, especially when there's a rat's nest of roads or the voice directions are confusing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There is a way to download and pre-load offline maps in Google Maps for eventualities like this.

Yeah but even I, pretty advanced technology user, feels like that option is buried and clunky as hell.

I had to do it for a trip my wife was takes a few months ago and got a glimpse at my future older self barely able to make tech work for me. But again, the UI and user experience had a lot of room for improvement.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm pretty sure it even does this automatically now if you've got a dead zone on your route since google, yknow, has an enormous database of exactly where everyone stops beaming back marketing telemetry

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

My suburb is only partially sidewalked. I’m not trudging through mud or riding a bike on a 35 mph road with no shoulder.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Trading off higher per-square-foot prices and cost of living in exchange for having all my weekly/monthly errand destinations being within a 15-minute walk was a game changer for me. Especially if there's the option to ditch a car, it more than makes up for it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm never living anywhere I can walk to poo poo again. I'm done with cities.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I like how walkable my town is, but when the temps are low (like less than -10°C) and the wind is up, I'm driving to Walgreens for my cigarettes.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wasabi the J posted:

My last duty station I was living in downtown Norfolk, which has a kind of hilariously hosed up take on walkability. You could walk to a million different bars or restaurants, and I was two blocks from the mall with a million clothing or shoe shops... but the nearest grocery store was over a mile away, and if you needed a hardware store or general-purpose store like Target or Walmart, that was about 10 miles down the highway.

Ironically now that I've moved back to the automotive hellscape of California I'm right across the street from a shopping center with a Target and a Whole Foods, so while in theory I might have walkability to fewer stores than before, I have a lot more actual variety in terms of the stuff I'm able to get. Being able to walk to a Target to grab one random thing that you need is really handy.

There's still the fact that if you place an order for pick up from some of the local restaurants' web sites, you are literally required to enter the make and model of your car for curbside pickup, because the idea that someone might walk over to get their order doesn't even occur to them.

And also trying to bike anywhere is not just courting Death, but buying a ring and getting ready to drop down on one knee in front of her.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Speaking on cars, the new Grand Tour episode is up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Yeah but even I, pretty advanced technology user, feels like that option is buried and clunky as hell.

It's also kind of limited in scope, too.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://mobile.twitter.com/jacobsoboroff/status/1471547058561511426?s=21

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

2022 and 2024 are going to be a loving bloodbath. Millions of Democratic voters are just going to stay the gently caress home.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lmao get hosed Sacklers.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

2022 and 2024 are going to be a loving bloodbath. Millions of Democratic voters are just going to stay the gently caress home.

I mean really dude could have stopped that quote at "Biden administration is unwilling to use literally any political capital to help"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My last duty station I was living in downtown Norfolk, which has a kind of hilariously hosed up take on walkability. You could walk to a million different bars or restaurants, and I was two blocks from the mall with a million clothing or shoe shops... but the nearest grocery store was over a mile away, and if you needed a hardware store or general-purpose store like Target or Walmart, that was about 10 miles down the highway.

Lmao I live in Ghent right now it’s loving weird how weirdly walkable yet unwalkable this town is depending on what you’re trying to do. There’s literally one single solitary supermarket foot accessible in the entire area downtown/hospital area, and it’s still too far away to carry a significant amount of groceries. It’s also Harris Teater so it’s stupidly expensive for what you’re getting compared to Food Lion, Aldi’s or Wegmans.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I sure as gently caress learned my lesson. I’m going to try to get involved in local politics when I move back to California next year but gently caress the blue dogs. I’m not voting for Biden again. They can’t think this is acceptable. How many more years of this game can they play?

Just loving baffling. What’s the point of winning the house and presidency if you’re going to do literally nothing?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean really dude could have stopped that quote at "Biden administration is unwilling to use literally any political capital to help"

Maybe the bullies will like us now! :downs:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The party apparatus and the majority of Democrats themselves are more than happy being a permanent majority since it still keeps the cushy consulting gigs rolling for them and their children.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I sure as gently caress learned my lesson. I’m going to try to get involved in local politics when I move back to California next year but gently caress the blue dogs.

good luck. I tried this where I live and the sickness in the national party is dripping into state level stuff. i've disconnected from electoral politics entirely and just try to do what I can in terms of mutual aid for my immediate community.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The party apparatus and the majority of Democrats themselves are more than happy being a permanent majority since it still keeps the cushy consulting gigs rolling for them and their children.

it dis

but also get involved and if there's one thing I've learned in the past year holy gently caress study up on roberts rules of order: literally always, the first person to get recognized in a meeting and offer a motion controls the entire meeting until it's over

seize the means of gasbagging, comrades :commissar:

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 17, 2021

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
but guys, don't you see? if only those darn republicans would let them do things they surely would!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

it really is cool, no matter what they do or don't control the outcome is always variations in https://betoorourke.com/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

also strap up they'll be shooting at us by '24

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Not if you donate to https://betoorourke.com/ so he can enact sensible gun control!!!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

shame on an IGA posted:

it dis

but also get involved and if there's one thing I've learned in the past year holy gently caress study up on roberts rules of order: literally always, the first person to get recognized in a meeting and offer a motion controls the entire meeting until it's over

seize the means of gasbagging, comrades :commissar:

Yeah that’s true I went to a meeting in 2016, probably one of the most attended they ever had, literally a week after the election and the chair spent the entire meeting rehashing some beef she had from last week with the progressive and black wings and then singled out and yelled at people for leaving when people started walking out in disgust.

I’m talking more about municipal politics personally. California NIMBY poo poo drives me up a wall and I could actually do something about it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Reading into the issue, from what I can tell all this really means is that the DoJ doesn't want to give a flat dollar amount to every family in a single 2+ billion dollar settlement and has likely decided to settle each of the cases individually. The DoJ's statement "While the parties have been unable to reach a global settlement agreement at this time, we remain committed to engaging with the plaintiffs and to bringing justice to the victims of this abhorrent policy" certainly doesn't sound like they're planning to fight each case to the death in court.

anyway it would be nice if people in this thread stopped shouting "the democrats are worthless and doomed in 2024" in response to singular tweets that don't even have an article attached because it's really obnoxious and happening like five times a week

like if you're gonna do that post an article excerpt at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

anyway it would be nice if people in this thread stopped shouting "the democrats are worthless and doomed in 2024" in response to singular tweets that don't even have an article attached because it's really obnoxious and happening like five times a week

like if you're gonna do that post an article excerpt at least

Yeah, except when the Democrats try to explain this as being the case, everyone's going to tune out and go all :downs:.

Then, when it counts, someone's going to distill it all down to "Biden did nothing to help the kids in cages" and that's the only thing people will remember.