Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Xaris posted:

hell yeah

idk how anyone can go around with doom mindset. everything is far too interesting to be going about your life in doom, and we're so lucky. it's a treasure trove of scientific curiosity and marvel with global genetic history being rewritten in real time; the inner workings of the planet being unraveled and exposed for study. think of how few sapient life there is, and then think of how even fewer sapient life, across the universe and whatever other alternate universes, will ever experience complete self-made biosphere collapse going from nearly 0-to-100 within their very lifespan. like it's like winning a super megamillions lotto thousands of times consecutively.

More to lose

ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

:yeah:

like of course if aliens exist they'd be visiting now to watch this poo poo unfold, this is primetime baby

unless it's so common as to be boring

"Zzxkltz, where do you want to spend Ldd'ddk?"
"How about Earth Orbit? They are end stage collapse and are not handling it well."
"Ugh. Blorth, Morth, Korth, Erf, Myrf, Regulua, Smegula ...every year with you"
"What? Their politicians are still having lavish banquets to announce everything is fine"
"Who cares? They never handle it well and they always think its fine."

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
trash island will always be above sea level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b7OcD7cjnE

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The world as we know it is ending. Why are we still at work?

Full disclosure for thread regulars: I am not the only Renewables tech who is quitting this month, I am one of hundreds I know of who are calling it quits - either to see how 2022 shakes out (myself, as I intended to go back in September) or permanently. I am the youngest in experience who is doing so, the bulk of the established knowledge in this industry as it applies to Installation, 8+ year veterans, are packing it in next week. Most of them are not giving notice.

Universally, after becoming comfortable enough to open up with the ones I work directly with about the scale of the poo poo we are in systemically: I found that it is because they know the writing is on the wall for the climate and it is here. There is no longer any point in spending 300 days a year multi timezones away from our families, to build infrastructure with an expiry date, to make money, and to be treated as expendable: because the world where money matters is dying before our eyes and currency is going to fail before our savings do. Except the cokeheads, those guys don't have a choice except labor.

The workforce necessary to build the "Green Energy Revolution" :airquote: on a sane timeframe is calling it done with. There's no value in it. They're walking away.

Whether or not that perspective is true, that is the belief in the field, and beliefs on this scale generate their own outcomes.

<Snip> because I flew too close to bringing the eye of corporate Sauron. Those who saw, saw.

Rime has issued a correction as of 00:59 on Dec 17, 2021

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

well you all are still working now, so it’s not that bad yet

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i imagine people working in the renewable energy field would, on the whole, be more likely to fully understand the threat posed by our dramatic alteration of the earth's atmosphere. People enjoy and gravitate towards doing work they think is important and substantial, especially if they have options and a wide array of opportunities, so if you think that we need to stop loving with the atmosphere you'd probably get a career trying to generate energy in a way that is less atmospherically destructive.

I think everyone who understands climate change is a doomer at this point

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

There is no longer any point in spending 300 days a year multi timezones away from our families, to build infrastructure with an expiry date, to make money, and to be treated as expendable: because the world where money matters is dying before our eyes and currency is going to fail before our savings do.
i mean this also just seems like a great economic problem. people aren't quitting jobs in droves out of 'doom'. but rather the work sucks being whipped by small or big biz tyrants who don't give a poo poo about them. wind workers were probably naive enough to accept horrific pay and exploitation because "it might do some good". but the overarching structure of exploitation hasn't changed, and applies quite broadly across the planet.

what im saying is, Wind Turbine Worker Union local #291 hell yeah.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
dont worry im sure president aoc in 2028 in conjunction with prime minster trudeau jr jr will sign the Pan-America Green Energy Revolution that will establish a pot of money for private-public market agreements by raising sales tax to give money to friendly energy companies that they will pocket 80% of it and promise to raise worker wages by $2 while advertising twitch and youtube that you too can do your part

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Xaris posted:

i mean this also just seems like a great economic problem. people aren't quitting jobs in droves out of 'doom'. but rather the work sucks being whipped by small or big biz tyrants who don't give a poo poo about them. wind workers were probably naive enough to accept horrific pay and exploitation because "it might do some good". but the overarching structure of exploitation hasn't changed, and applies quite broadly across the planet.

what im saying is, Wind Turbine Worker Union local #291 hell yeah.

A good number of the techs I know, whose exodus prompted this post, are unionized. And have one of the better deals in the industry. It's not about money.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

The world as we know it is ending. Why are we still at work?

Full disclosure for thread regulars: I am not the only Renewables tech who is quitting this month, I am one of hundreds I know of who are calling it quits - either to see how 2022 shakes out (myself, as I intended to go back in September) or permanently. I am the youngest in experience who is doing so, the bulk of the established knowledge in this industry as it applies to Installation, 8+ year veterans, are packing it in next week. Most of them are not giving notice.

<Snip> because I flew too close to bringing the eye of corporate Sauron. Those who saw, saw.

good stuff

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

i imagine people working in the renewable energy field would, on the whole, be more likely to fully understand the threat posed by our dramatic alteration of the earth's atmosphere. People enjoy and gravitate towards doing work they think is important and substantial, especially if they have options and a wide array of opportunities, so if you think that we need to stop loving with the atmosphere you'd probably get a career trying to generate energy in a way that is less atmospherically destructive.

I think everyone who understands climate change is a doomer at this point

Rime is basically describing that moment in Pacific Rim when the Kaiju just easily bursts through the big wall they are building and someone yells "Why are we even building this thing?!"

A lot of people are going to quit once things dawn on them but some people need to build that wall. The normal ones that went into renewables and green energy naturally or thought it would help get jaded and leave to be replaced with chain smoking people stress building a coping mechanism funded by frantic populations.

We aren't ever going to stop because the more desperate this situation gets the more desperately people are going to act. If wind turbines are lovely then you'll just have someone claim to build the perfect turbine that circulates the media and gives everyone coping a ray of hope. See, it wasn't working before because the technology wasn't there but now we understand the problem and can truly blahblahblahblah

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

It's fun how at no point is the possibility of addressing or mitigating any of the continual interlocking disasters mentioned at all. No one can even conceptualize solving a problem. The only thing we can do apparently is make work somehow more tolerable while each of the numerous existential crises continue to spiral more and more wildly out of control.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

A good number of the techs I know, whose exodus prompted this post, are unionized. And have one of the better deals in the industry. It's not about money.
fair enough.

although to be fair, unions can still suck and be limp dicked paper cards so it i guess doesn't mean much. Judging from even what you said, having to spend all day every day away from home in rural oklahoma for still like five/six boundary-range figures and no time home is still money. now maybe people still would quit if they were given 1 week on / 2 weeks home off-duty or 2 / 4 for 150k/yr; but, you can pretty much get anyone (or masses of people) to do anything for money (and related enough time off). especially compared to flippin' burgers or making lattes for entitled baby bombers coming in screaming at you for 12 hours a day.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Can anyone give me an estimate on how long until money is worthless? I want to know the exact moment i can give up on working, thanks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Blockade posted:

Can anyone give me an estimate on how long until money is worthless? I want to know the exact moment i can give up on working, thanks

when your landlord no longer takes money to stay housed
when the grocery store no longer has anything to buy and when there is they no longer take cash
when gas stations no longer take money to fill er up
when you pay your power and water bill per month but no longer have service indefinitely anyways

* alternatively, when a box of cereal or gallon of gas is 2x your hourly wage then at that point you're just pissing away your life

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
so yeah until such time, you, me, and like most of the world's population, will just keep going about our day as 'normal' until one day we can't. we'll go into work and work there 7am-6pm, we'll pickup some korean or chinese food on the way home, kick back and throw on some television and chow down, we'll take a long hot shower/bath and maybe read some trash books, then login into the interwebs and consume more media, then hit the sack and repeat it all over the next day. then on the weekend do whatever we do with our free time

and eventually, maybe very soon, maybe soonish, maybe distant-soon, we just won't. for a variety of reasons.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Xaris posted:

when the grocery store no longer has anything to buy and when there is they no longer take cash
when you pay your power and water bill per month but no longer have service indefinitely anyways

* alternatively, when a box of cereal or gallon of gas is 2x your hourly wage then at that point you're just pissing away your life

landlords may no longer take money but good luck forcing tenants out at that point

otherwise yeah

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Doing my part by showing up to work, but doing a bad job

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Ruggan posted:

landlords may no longer take money but good luck forcing tenants out at that point

otherwise yeah

yeah, i like to "joke" to my wife that my long term plan is our out of state landlord will no longer be able to marshall significant authority to take our duplex

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Rime you rule thanks for posting for us

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Xaris posted:

or like in weimar germany, where you use your dollar bills for wallpaper due to hyperinflation

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Blockade posted:

TL;DR: As soon as the wealthiest people on the planet have everything they need to weather The Great Re-Feudalizing.

Inflation is the highest it's been since November of 1990 (6.1%) at 6.8%. But hey, at least it's not 1778 when it was nearly 30%!

To put things into perspective - the current inflation rate is higher than 1930's average of 6.4% but not YET as high as 1931 and 1932's at 9.3% and 10.3% respectively.

We'll get there, though! :shepicide:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Please publish this to give the public actual scientific information about climate change since you continue to publish letters from people like Carol Coleman (12/12/21) and others along with numerous articles from the Associated Press that talk about climate change but give little or no scientific data. Not once have we seen any information that shows a direct correlation between oil and coal usage and temperatures.

Temperatures have fluctuated for the last 150 years with a 35-year cooling period from 1940-1975 while crude oil usage has gone from zero to around 100 million barrels per day. Yet temperatures are up less than two degrees after a 550-year kittle ice age ended. Isn't it normal for temperatures to rise after an ice age ends?

On another note, that AP article on inflation this morning (12/13/21) mentioned nothing about Biden's energy policies which have caused the big spike in prices and energy prices affect everything and especially harm the poor, middle class and small businesses. Not once has Biden, Kerry or anyone else in the administration been asked to provide scientific data to support the destruction of the fossil fuel industry and the U.S economy.

Shouldn't the SJR publish factual pieces instead of mostly trying to influence the public to support the Democrat agenda?

Jack Hellner, Springfield

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Rime posted:

The workforce necessary to build the "Green Energy Revolution" :airquote: on a sane timeframe is calling it done with. There's no value in it. They're walking away.

Whether or not that perspective is true, that is the belief in the field, and beliefs on this scale generate their own outcomes.

is this a coordinated walkout or is it just the end of the season and folks aren't coming back next go-around or what? how much of the workforce do yall represent?

i mean at the end of the day sustainability work has always been just like game development or working for spacex or working in a mountain town: half the pay is the opportunity to live the dream and employers know that and exploit it heavily. i do independent white collar sustainability consulting and it's been more than half my pay for years. if you're all walking away because you don't believe in the work then regardless of how "good" the pay is, you've been at least partially getting paid in "being part of something" too.

when the shine wears off the market forces will do their thing. a new workforce will be trained and paid enough to maintain productivity and profit despite their lack of ideological commitment to the work. wind is too profitable to die just because some folks don't believe it'll save us. i mean there's a shitload of rig pigs still working drills because all they love is money and trucks - no need for windmills to be any different. stack those old blades like cordwood, gently caress it.

all that said, the cognitive dissonance required to stick with the project in the face of ~all this~ is huge, and for all the good it does you might as well grab quality of life where you can and try to stay out of the way of what's coming.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

:hellyeah: the age of sail is back baby, let's do zeppelins next

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cargo ship pirates be all :yeshaha:.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

goochtit posted:

:hellyeah: the age of sail is back baby, let's do zeppelins next

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

get ready for a bunch of dumb poo poo like this.

'brand new ai machine learning solar panel that self-optimizes itself with 1000% more output? sooner than you may think!"

"new breakthrough 3d-printed carbon nanotube wind turbines that can install on your roof and power your fridge? this development may revolutionize the world!"

"new this electric car start-up promises afford vehicles starting at $9,999? can this spell the end of gasoline as we know it?"

"development of a new small passenger plane that uses sustainable nitrogen is being trialed by university of amsterdam. can this make us re-think air travel as we know it?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Xaris posted:

get ready for a bunch of dumb poo poo like this.

'brand new ai machine learning solar panel that self-optimizes itself with 1000% more output? sooner than you may think!"

"new breakthrough 3d-printed carbon nanotube wind turbines that can install on your roof and power your fridge? this development may revolutionize the world!"

"new this electric car start-up promises afford vehicles starting at $9,999? can this spell the end of gasoline as we know it?"

"development of a new small passenger plane that uses sustainable nitrogen is being trialed by university of amsterdam. can this make us re-think air travel as we know it?"

"Don't change your consumption and living habits, read these headlines and be mollified back into reckless :capitalism:!"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Haha, the Onion's still got it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The US is putting sanctions on Xinjiang, which makes 45% of the world's solar panels, so they better start making more carbon capture plants in Iceland

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Rime is basically describing that moment in Pacific Rim when the Kaiju just easily bursts through the big wall they are building and someone yells "Why are we even building this thing?!"

A lot of people are going to quit once things dawn on them but some people need to build that wall. The normal ones that went into renewables and green energy naturally or thought it would help get jaded and leave to be replaced with chain smoking people stress building a coping mechanism funded by frantic populations.

We aren't ever going to stop because the more desperate this situation gets the more desperately people are going to act. If wind turbines are lovely then you'll just have someone claim to build the perfect turbine that circulates the media and gives everyone coping a ray of hope. See, it wasn't working before because the technology wasn't there but now we understand the problem and can truly blahblahblahblah

We won't even make it far enough to try to address our problems. We'll go to war because the war machine needs profits, just as they always have, and as things go to hell the war will turn against our own people because the state will find it can no longer afford the luxury of "hiring" but the war machine will not let its needs go unaddressed.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Chamale posted:

The US is putting sanctions on Xinjiang, which makes 45% of the world's solar panels, so they better start making more carbon capture plants in Iceland

God drat I didn't piece that part of the equation together with our recent lust for oil exploration and nat gas exports.

Biden is doing a great job of carrying on Obama's legacy.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I swear this was an 00s era Popular Mechanics article

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

FunkyFjord posted:

enjoy being kids for the rest of your life

what does that mean

don't worry about it, yet

Worry less, pray more

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Cargo ship pirates be all :yeshaha:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bnNCFg83tM&t=25s

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

nomad2020 posted:

I swear this was an 00s era Popular Mechanics article

Oh those halcyon days.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Why use a kite when you can use giant rotating cylinders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDmReEMBhNA

:unsmith: