Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

man if the dialogue is going to be this bad then you might as well just take it from the books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh poo poo just got to the chapter of Knife of Dreams where Mat reads Thom's letter from Moraine and poo poo just got real.

Knife of Dreams is really loving good ya'll. Mat's story is fantastic.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Oh poo poo just got to the chapter of Knife of Dreams where Mat reads Thom's letter from Moraine and poo poo just got real.

Knife of Dreams is really loving good ya'll. Mat's story is fantastic.

It's great, and it shows that RJ had picked himself up from the midseries slump. Makes it even sadder that he died when he did

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So, something that I'm thinking about is that the Amyrlin Seat would be Moraine's downfall. Is that referring to Moraine actually dying at The Eye of the World because she was lead there by Siuan? If so, that would be a big change. Otherwise though, I don't know what it would mean. Elaida or Egwene aren't the cause of Moraine's downfall in the books, and I don't know how Siuan would.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

goethe.cx posted:

It's great, and it shows that RJ had picked himself up from the midseries slump. Makes it even sadder that he died when he did

yeah

i always get mildly annoyed when it gets lumped in with the slog, the pacing really picks up in it and several plot threads get tied up

i remember spending years theorizing about the tower of genjei and really looking forward to moiraine's return

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MegaZeroX posted:

So, something that I'm thinking about is that the Amyrlin Seat would be Moraine's downfall. Is that referring to Moraine actually dying at The Eye of the World because she was lead there by Siuan? If so, that would be a big change. Otherwise though, I don't know what it would mean. Elaida or Egwene aren't the cause of Moraine's downfall in the books, and I don't know how Siuan would.

It's possible that it comes up later that Moiraine has to follow Rand into the wastes because Elaida has a warrant out for her. And that's how she ends up by the door she knocks Lanfear through

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Barreft posted:

"Flesh so fine, so fine to tear, to gnash the skin; skin to strip, to plait, so nice to plait the strips, so nice, so red the drops that fall; blood so red, so red, so sweet; sweet screams, pretty screams, singing screams, scream your song, sing your screams..."

They should have kept this, it's so much better.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I really enjoyed that episode, but I do wish they hadn't seemingly done away with Lan's one man war against the Blight. We need that for the Golden Crane scene to be as powerful as it is.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

RandomReader posted:

Oh, you haven't seen the episode yet? Makes sense, otherwise how could you miss Agelmar talking over Moiraine, openly dismissing his sisters concerns in public, taking the first opportunity to brag about the might of Fal Dara and how little an Aes Sedai would matter, and Moiraine is just so exapserated at his overbearing arrogance? Moiraine's later comment about him not going to Min because he already knows all the answers? That wasn't a brother and sister having a disagreement, that was an arrogant man disrespecting two women out of hand and being put in his place, a radical departure from the books because ??? They needed more male leaders to disrespect Aes Sedai/women, and to fill that role chose a character who would never dare?

stop posting Incel. Take your cringe poo poo somewhere else.

Like, I've had plenty of lovely takes on these forums. I think a lot of conversations calling the magic system "problematic" by some fans super eye rolly.

But like, this show is threading a needle a bunch of writers/fans of geeky stuff have been bitching about for years. And what's funny on twitter anyways is most creators aren't watching it yet, even though it's giving them what they want, but in an actually good way. (or maybe film twitter prefers to bitch about something then actually see it fixed).

We've got positivity masculinity, none male gaze sex scenes, plenty of diversity in cast and relationships, badass women who are actually justified in their badassary, (we just had a fight scene that is as compelling if not more so than basically every sword fight in all 8 seasons of game of thrones) and characters are acting smart. None of them are acting so out of either book character of show character for where they need to go, or what the text had them at. And, in terms of this "this show is too focused on women" the the most powerful and scariest character (a man) has literally just said, "okay, it's me". We haven't gotten much from him yet, but we get that the show gets him and everyone else, and so we can get giddy at what's to come.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

SerSpook posted:

yeah

i always get mildly annoyed when it gets lumped in with the slog, the pacing really picks up in it and several plot threads get tied up

i remember spending years theorizing about the tower of genjei and really looking forward to moiraine's return

Same. Dragonmount was so much fun after book 11. I mean beforehand too. But book 10 gave us so little to work with.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Rand declaring himself the Dragon Reborn is way different than in the books where he's super reluctant to embrace the identity. I kind of wonder if he'll fully embrace being the Dragon Reborn so quickly because in the books he kind of didn't until The Dragon Reborn and we never see that thought process just him running.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

MegaZeroX posted:

It could be as simple as Elaida declares that Moiraine is no longer an Aes Sedai. Boom. Downfall

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

I really enjoyed that episode, but I do wish they hadn't seemingly done away with Lan's one man war against the Blight. We need that for the Golden Crane scene to be as powerful as it is.

I'm sure that'll come up later. One consistent pattern with this show has been fans saying "omg why did they cut [insert important plot point]" only to have it show up in a later episode

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

goethe.cx posted:

I'm sure that'll come up later. One consistent pattern with this show has been fans saying "omg why did they cut [insert important plot point]" only to have it show up in a later episode

I had the same thought, but the line from Lan about having nothing to die for before Moiraine was rubbing me wrong. It could be explained next episode that Moiraine gave him purpose in fighting the Shadow and so he can have his revenge and serve a greater purpose at the same time rather than just throwing his life away.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Your a loving deranged weirdo and I don't know why you'd register on SA just to post this poo poo in one thread.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's a bit funny to see random rageclick bait videos on youtube while looking up other wheel of time stuff because the sheer amount of copium that's embodied in poo poo like Why Wheel Of Time Fans Hate The Show and/or weird edited thumbnails with yelling dudes practically radiates off of them like some sort of previously undiscovered isotope and has a higher chance of striking me more infertile than the hormones i'm taking will

not emptyquoting

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
OK I actually loved show-blight. It was really effective as a terrifying and impossible place I'd never want to visit. Creepy and claustrophobic. Just great. Different but great.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

OK I actually loved show-blight. It was really effective as a terrifying and impossible place I'd never want to visit. Creepy and claustrophobic. Just great. Different but great.

Agreed. As much as I like the book's vision of a garish rotting jungle, I think the show's presentation does a better job conveying to viewers that this is a terrible corrupted place

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Goofballs posted:

That always struck me as funny. Can you imagine being just some rear end in a top hat working behind a bar and suddenly a portal opens and internal organs fly everywhere. What do you even do with that experience? How do you explain it?

But I meant more where Androl was dropping lava or opening portals so cannons could shoot at point blank range.

Sammael, the jerk, actually does that in one of the earlier books (shadow rising or fires of heaven)

Graendal and he get into an argument, so when he’s leaving he opens up a gateway through her servant, who just goes to pieces.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Rand declaring himself the Dragon Reborn is way different than in the books where he's super reluctant to embrace the identity. I kind of wonder if he'll fully embrace being the Dragon Reborn so quickly because in the books he kind of didn't until The Dragon Reborn and we never see that thought process just him running.

I'm thinking that after they deal with the Eye of the World, they're going to play up Rand thinking he actually killed the Dark One. And then decide he's going to run away try to die quietly but woops have to chase fain.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Goreld posted:

Sammael, the jerk, actually does that in one of the earlier books (shadow rising or fires of heaven)

Graendal and he get into an argument, so when he’s leaving he opens up a gateway through her servant, who just goes to pieces.

tbh probably a kinder fate than what graendal did/would do

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

LionArcher posted:

stop posting Incel. Take your cringe poo poo somewhere else.

Like, I've had plenty of lovely takes on these forums. I think a lot of conversations calling the magic system "problematic" by some fans super eye rolly.
That... wasn't a "take" though. Okay, the bit about why they did what they did was speculation, but the rest was literally how that situation was structured? I genuinely don't understand how you can A) not read the scene as Agelmar being a colossal douchebag and getting smacked down, and B) not see it as wildly out of character for Agelmar to be a dick.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The show isn't the books. There's no "out of character" because what we see on screen is the character. You're big mad that the show isn't the books. Maybe stop hate watching and do something more fun with your time?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
machin shin... it means 'imposter syndrome' in the old tongue

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

El Grillo posted:

I swear to god I've seen a set design like the ways before, either in a game or some film or TV - a dark hexagonal stone floor pattern, with a load of almost crystalline-lookinb hexagonal columns coming up out of it at different heights. Am I going crazy or do any of you know what I'm talking about? Lol.

I think there are a few maps in Diablo 3 that look like that, it's what came to mind for me at least. I'm sure there are other games with similar terrain, it's clearly inspired by the giant's causeway as was mentioned.

Nynaeve and Lan don't hook up this early in the books, right?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

misguided rage posted:

Nope, book 1 has Lan shooting Nynaeve down because he thinks he's destined to die. I forget when they actually hook up but it's significantly later.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

misguided rage posted:

I think there are a few maps in Diablo 3 that look like that, it's what came to mind for me at least. I'm sure there are other games with similar terrain, it's clearly inspired by the giant's causeway as was mentioned.

My first thought on seeing the leaked promo stills was "hey! hex grid! They're in Gloomhaven!"

DA3 has some areas that look like that.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My first thought on seeing the leaked promo stills was "hey! hex grid! They're in Gloomhaven!"

DA3 has some areas that look like that.
"Run, Rand! Run!"
"I can't! I lost my only good movement card when we rested!"

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

so okay, let's say the show does get all 8 seasons. How would you pace it going forward?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I do think the show would benefit from 10-episode seasons instead of 8-episode ones. There are already a lot of characters and story arcs and there will only be more. Maybe that's something Amazon will greenlight down the line since the show has been a success so far.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

El Grillo posted:

I swear to god I've seen a set design like the ways before, either in a game or some film or TV - a dark hexagonal stone floor pattern, with a load of almost crystalline-lookinb hexagonal columns coming up out of it at different heights. Am I going crazy or do any of you know what I'm talking about? Lol.

This episode was ok except the love triangle was bleh, the Lan background reveal was a bit meh, and it felt like they overextended the Lan/Nynaeve will they won't they by about 2 mins.
Agelmar in the books was cool, show Agelmar was generically rubbish.
I've no idea how I feel about Rand reveal, it will be interesting to see non-reader reactions. There was really no need to have the Tam woods scene as flashback, we already knew one of the five had a mysterious background. It felt like quite an artificial insert, I don't think they built up to it as a reveal that Rand has had this preying on his mind at all. They could have had that as part of his developing character all season, like in the books; the doubt and denial about what Tam said.

The Tigraine fight was like... Ok how brain damaged is your baby after all of this. I guess they wanted action. It was a cool scene but I worry that it might just look too ridiculous to some. And given the crux of the scene is really that striking image of a woman giving birth in the snow on a mountain in a battle... you'd have thought that could be made dramatic enough by itself. Ah well, the fight was quite well done at least vOv

I think it's described in the books as having a desert environment, i.e. burning orange sun during the day, and at night so freezing cold that they hear trees exploding (I think?). Don't know if it's described as sandy or rocky ground or whatever though. It definitely lots of corrupted trees around, that are kind of decaying and oozing poisonous pus or whatever horrible poo poo. Maybe they come across a lake too with something hideous lurking in it? Can't remember.

Show version is very grey, but to me that's not the end of the world (pun intended), certainly not compared to some of the other stuff from the books I wish they'd not changed.

Divinity 2 original sin

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
So, uhh... was the game board in Min's inn just a random recognizable dice/board game or was it a subtle set up for the concept of Snakes and Foxes being a thing?

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

El Grillo posted:

There’s been a dozen examples so far, I’ll add Lucifer.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/lucifer/images/4/40/113_Lucifer_in_Hell_11.png

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Rarity posted:

Yeah Faile's the only one of our core characters to not be super special in some way and she still gets a bunch of poo poo done by going 'This will work because I'm goddam Faile'. If you look at her outside her relationship with Perrin she's awesome

Faileing upwards

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

RC Cola posted:

I don't remember seeing this. Do you have a timestamp?

It's in the x-ray

After veilgate it seems they need to handhold the viewer so the prouboys on reddit and the renfaire youtube larpers will stop howling about book mechanics

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished Episode 7. The thing with the series is that in between the rushed pace and the heightened drama, it's starting to get into melodrama territory.

Ep7 spoilers

It isn't enough that Morainie and Siuan searches for the Dragon Reborn in a conspiracy, they are also secret lovers, who are far apart because of duty. Taste the tragedy.

Mat not going with them is good because he holds a secret DARKNESS WITHIN, the dagger fed on him the same him fed on the dagger.

They are going to the Eye of the World, and the three that aren't the Dragon Reborn WILL PERISH, as they will get squished in between TWO FORCES OF NATURE.

Let's put some dramatic incipient hidden romance triangle too in the group so there are more inner turmoil.

Let's rush the other romance already (Nynaeve + Lan) so the stakes feel higher. The are seven other season to go ffs.

Etc

I understand part of it, they have to make the series interesting now, not in three seasons, and you have to 'show, not tell', but as I say, it's starting to skirt into a melodrama vibe.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BTW, what was the reason Rand's mom was fighting while pregnant? I don't remember at this point.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm weirdly okay with all the CW drama, because the gang are just such lovable doofuses. Especially Nynaeve releasing that her angry stance against Moirane directly caused all of her mates to start bickering and falling out with each other. That's great stuff.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hollismason posted:

It could save a whole books worth of running away since his motivation is to protect his friends

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Turin Turambar posted:

BTW, what was the reason Rand's mom was fighting while pregnant? I don't remember at this point.

Tigraine wasn't meant to be fighting because Maidens don't when they're pregnant, but Janduin loved her so much that he couldn't refuse her when she asked not to be sent back to the Wastes. Then it took them slightly longer than anticipated to kill Laman because he fled to Tar Valon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Yeah same. That was a good reveal that I didn't see coming.

What I loved about that was Egwene assuming she did it. Oh, Egwene.