Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

I use a Series Two Elite controller, so I have different stick lengths and can tighten or loosen the sticks. But God drat, after a few days I noped right out of using PCI. Which is funny, because I've used it in other games without it being too big of a deal.

Yeah I mean I dunno, it takes some getting used to but I think it's really rewarding to feel like you're getting good at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I just realized I have about 100k more experience to finish out the 7th inning program before it closes in a day or two, so I'm holding off on the online play until that wraps up.

Is there a faster way to rack up XP than conquest? Because I'm almost done with both the 7th conquest maps.

I've got to admit, while it was confusing having three to four seasons of team affinity going at once, in addition to all the monthly poo poo, I miss having a ton of boxes to check. A lot of the Player Programs require poo poo I'm never going to do. Mostly beating teams on All Star and poo poo. Nine innings is a lot of time for something that could drat well not go my way.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Captain Log posted:

I just realized I have about 100k more experience to finish out the 7th inning program before it closes in a day or two, so I'm holding off on the online play until that wraps up.

Is there a faster way to rack up XP than conquest? Because I'm almost done with both the 7th conquest maps.

I've got to admit, while it was confusing having three to four seasons of team affinity going at once, in addition to all the monthly poo poo, I miss having a ton of boxes to check. A lot of the Player Programs require poo poo I'm never going to do. Mostly beating teams on All Star and poo poo. Nine innings is a lot of time for something that could drat well not go my way.

Extra Innings has some tucked away missions that require some custom lineup tweaking but are easy to garner points for. Bonus of getting the sweet sweet current 4x gameplay xp bonus too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Spoeank posted:

Extra Innings has some tucked away missions that require some custom lineup tweaking but are easy to garner points for. Bonus of getting the sweet sweet current 4x gameplay xp bonus too.

Turns out finishing those conquest maps did the trick.

I got another All Star Game pack. With loving 95 Hendricks or 95 Bogarts for something like the eighth god damned time!

Is there a reason? Or am I just that unlucky with RNG?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the odds on the all star/home run derby packs kinda suck on top of relatively low sample sizes

like, if my math is right (and it's probably wrong I'm poo poo at math) something like 15 packs of base rounds is just normal unlucky and not even super crazy unlucky or anything

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the odds on the all star/home run derby packs kinda suck on top of relatively low sample sizes

like, if my math is right (and it's probably wrong I'm poo poo at math) something like 15 packs of base rounds is just normal unlucky and not even super crazy unlucky or anything

Yeah this is what I tell myself as I open headliner after headliner from various programs without getting a diamond.

I got 2 Vlads and a Peralta out of the ASG packs though so I guess it all evens out.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just opened about 50 regular packs and maybe 20 ballin is a habit packs and 20 or so headliner packs and got exactly zero diamond players from all of them. someone should calculate the odds of that happening

that said I got about 30,000 stubs worth of stuff from a diamond ball player pack so whatever

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I now have over a million stubs.

I should probably spend some of them.

Also, teams like the Dodgers on Rookie are somehow harder to beat. Stupid pitching stuff happens, then they go into Matrix mode once any ball is hit.

The computer also broke and the opposing right fielder started fake throwing over and over like he was having a seizure for a solid thirty seconds while the crowd noise died out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Played my first four online games in months. Managed to win the first one on my last out, one behind, with a walk off 2 run homer and it felt pretty sweet. Then proceeded to get absolutely curb stomped in the next three matches.

But what the gently caress is this weird rear end seemingly random strike and ball counts? When I'm immediately having to pitch to a Parallel Five Tito Ortiz with a 3-2 count, I might as well let him go ahead and run around the bases.

Side Note - Having to get three XBHs with 41 speed and 42r/26l hitting power Rookie Molina to unlock his diamond card is loving brutal.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
For player programs do the collections, moments, then beat the team on all star. I don't think that's an option for Yadi but you can play Baltimore on rookie at Shippet and do the catcher home runs. That should get you there.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Grem posted:

For player programs do the collections, moments, then beat the team on all star. I don't think that's an option for Yadi but you can play Baltimore on rookie at Shippet and do the catcher home runs. That should get you there.

I actually managed to get the last one yesterday, somehow knocking a home run out with him. I'm deep into Player Programs now, having done about a half. I've not done any requiring an All Star game win and I'm assuming that's a nine inning game? I'm not sure how hard that is or isn't, but I'll probably try it in the next day or two.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around these seemingly random ball/strike counts in the online games. It really changes poo poo, when a lot of my pitching style relies on deceptive painting. Instant 3-2 takes out the guesswork.

I am hopeless when people start doing these elaborate base stealing maneuvers. Have a tied game in extra innings where a guy got a base hit, then somehow managed to steal home. I still don't know exactly what happened, but it was ugly.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

god I'm so jazzed for the nlcs Rosario card now

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

I actually managed to get the last one yesterday, somehow knocking a home run out with him. I'm deep into Player Programs now, having done about a half. I've not done any requiring an All Star game win and I'm assuming that's a nine inning game? I'm not sure how hard that is or isn't, but I'll probably try it in the next day or two.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around these seemingly random ball/strike counts in the online games. It really changes poo poo, when a lot of my pitching style relies on deceptive painting. Instant 3-2 takes out the guesswork.

I am hopeless when people start doing these elaborate base stealing maneuvers. Have a tied game in extra innings where a guy got a base hit, then somehow managed to steal home. I still don't know exactly what happened, but it was ugly.

It sounds like you are playing an event with quick counts, no other game mode is gonna have random balls and strikes

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Stefan Prodan posted:

It sounds like you are playing an event with quick counts, no other game mode is gonna have random balls and strikes

That has to be it. I don't know what sort of logic they follow, but it seems to be the only option in the main Postseason Event mode.

Finally unlocked All Star Starting Pitcher Othani. :woop:

I decided to attempt the Royals on All Star for the new Player Program and ended up stomping them 9-0. This sounds strange, but it was almost easier? Timing the pitches wasn't as hard and the CPU fielding was the same as it always is - flawless robots who never make mistakes and run like cheetahs.

I think the pitching might have been a little more sensitive, but I pitched a full game shut out with Robbie Ray.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Playing on rookie or even veteran really fucks up my timing. I do rookie and veteran moments after online play, because if I play online after everything moves at light speed for a few innings.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Grem posted:

Playing on rookie or even veteran really fucks up my timing. I do rookie and veteran moments after online play, because if I play online after everything moves at light speed for a few innings.

It's the fact that off speed pitches are ridiculously slow, while fastballs can still zip pretty well.

I'm about halfway through the Player Programs. I still need to do the Field of Dreams Showdown, which I keep managing to lose. But compared to when I first got the game, I'm running out of non-online content to do.

I've also ruined myself by refusing to start any players with lower than 90 speed. My two exceptions are Hank Aaron on first base (81 speed) and All Star Zunihno on catchers (67 speed.) I keep unlocking monsters, but I have a hard time justifying taking someone like Mickey Mantel or Month Award Tyler O'Neil since I learned The Secret.

My bench is full of bombing chonkers, though.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
80 speed is fine to abuse the game anyway. I would rather a 75 overall with 84 speed in Showdown than a 90 with 20 speed.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I feel like I'm playing a different game than all of you.

I made a 5'6" guy with maximum weight in Road to the Show. I worked my way up to the majors then tried to get the stolen base record by holding up at first every time then trying to steal on every pitch.

I got sent down to the minors for going 0-for-5 in two straight games despite being above .300 for every at bat but my final one. This pissed me off so I worked my way back up to the majors and have a 28 game hitting streak with 0 runs because I purposefully try to get out once I cross first to punish the O's for demoting me.

Baltimore is 9-28 and still hasn't figured out to stop sending me up first to bat. Lotta fun.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Drunk Nerds posted:

I made a 5'6" guy with maximum weight in Road to the Show. I worked my way up to the majors then tried to get the stolen base record by holding up at first every time then trying to steal on every pitch.

I got sent down to the minors for going 0-for-5 in two straight games despite being above .300 for every at bat but my final one. This pissed me off so I worked my way back up to the majors and have a 28 game hitting streak with 0 runs because I purposefully try to get out once I cross first to punish the O's for demoting me.

Baltimore is 9-28 and still hasn't figured out to stop sending me up first to bat. Lotta fun.

Should be a video series, name him Roger Dorn.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
You know what bugs me?

I've leveled up my two way Create-A-Player to diamond in both sparkplug (85) and as a closing pitcher (91).

But my "baseball card" still lists me as a bronze 65. What's up with that?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the card is always a 65, you've just leveled up equipment called sparkplug or w/e that raises his stats

yeah I hate it too

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

It's kinda strange, but I assume it's something about the backend of how player attributes work they can't fit. Super weird regardless.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Sorta sucks to dump all that time into a player and have a card on par with some guy who got called up from Single A for half an inning because of Covid.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I recently realized you could collect teams and unlocked Chipper. As cool as it was to unlock Tito and all those big cards, the only one going on my main squad is Alfonso Soriano. He had a 93 speed and 100+ batting states, which beats out Hank Aaron's 81 speed.

Picking up all the spare odds and ends, I realized something.

How do people go about selling their cards on the market? Do you have to keep your laptop or cell phone open nearby to check trending prices? Or is there an easier way to do it? I understand the concept of selling things, just not the easiest way to do it.

I've getting closer to get Mookie unlocked, so I'm trying to figure out the best route to get that done.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Captain Log posted:

I recently realized you could collect teams and unlocked Chipper. As cool as it was to unlock Tito and all those big cards, the only one going on my main squad is Alfonso Soriano. He had a 93 speed and 100+ batting states, which beats out Hank Aaron's 81 speed.

Picking up all the spare odds and ends, I realized something.

How do people go about selling their cards on the market? Do you have to keep your laptop or cell phone open nearby to check trending prices? Or is there an easier way to do it? I understand the concept of selling things, just not the easiest way to do it.

I've getting closer to get Mookie unlocked, so I'm trying to figure out the best route to get that done.

Easiest way is to just use the browser once every so often and clear my inventory of cards I'm looking to move. Flipping is more intensive and absolutely only do that on a computer to protect your thumbs.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Ugh, the rested me a few series (I'm also a relief pitcher) and now baltimore has 19 wins. Unacceptable, they are flirting with not being in last place. I'm gonna put in a few hours this weekend and see if I can right this ship.

I'm curious what happens if I steal second when there is already a runner there. Hopefully I get the SB and the NPC gets tagged out, so I continue to tank baltimore while upping my stats so I dont get sent down.

Accept my request to be traded Orioles!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

MJBuddy posted:

Easiest way is to just use the browser once every so often and clear my inventory of cards I'm looking to move. Flipping is more intensive and absolutely only do that on a computer to protect your thumbs.

Ah, that's what I feared. Considering I've got Chipper and are a couple of cards away from Mookie, my need to buy poo poo is pretty low. I've still got 700+ stubs in the bank.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
9th Inning drops in a few days. This being my first MLB The Show, is that the last relevant content drop until the next one comes out? I have no idea how closely the schedule for these games mirrors the actual baseball season.

I'm hoping to squeeze another month out of the game before I get consumed by the next Battlefield. But gently caress me, I'd like to find the God damned new Xbox Series X for a big game like that.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

iirc the last two years we've had 10 real innings but the 10th inning dropped late october last year, so who knows how it'll happen this time. We're definitely getting 9th inning on friday, and team affinity 5 the next week so you should be good for content at least through this month regardless though

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Hell yeah! An awesome new Buster Posey card!

Double hell yeah! I unlocked him in one game with three Giant homers against an All Star Kershaw after blitzing through all the Moments! I never get through poo poo this fast!

*He has a speed of 17, slower than Votto*

:stare:

Guess I'll go back to my Tier Three Pudge with a 74 speed, who is the only sub 92 speed player I keep as a starter.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Hello, are you interested in hearing the good word of our lord and savior FS Adley?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

blossommirage posted:

Hello, are you interested in hearing the good word of our lord and savior FS Adley?

Both him and that Glorious Mustache Mike Piazza have greater power. But Pudge has over 110 contact, the godly catcher stats of sentient brick wall, and an over 70 speed.

My team's policy for CPU is A.B.X.B.H.

Always
Be
eXtra
Base
Hitting

It works 95% of the time for everything up to and including All Star.

Showdowns can kiss my rear end, though.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Kluber got me playing Battle Royale and I can win one game each entry. Super excited to get him just in time for Christmas

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Grem posted:

Kluber got me playing Battle Royale and I can win one game each entry. Super excited to get him just in time for Christmas

I'm lucky if I get one. I somehow got three the other day, then got some useless 76 silver Met pitcher. Woo.

Having unlocked Kershaw, I feel empty. There are no more dragons to chase, so I'll lose interest in this game before much longer.

Out of all the GOAT cards, the only one I've ever used is Mariano Rivera. Dude is a filthy closer.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Next big collection is like the 19th I think!

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I had to make a call and it was churning after the WS event. Finished last inning but here's hoping it's back on game pass next year so I can lose another 500 hours to it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I have a very bad record at Battle Royale. With the exception of getting three wins on a card once, I might normally get one. I do manage to almost always score first, then have my opponent discover a magic EVERYTHING IS A HOME RUN button whenever I bring in my high leverage reliever. (gently caress you, Olerud.)

Which is why I find it hysterical when the first XBH or homer run makes my opponent instantly rage quit. Come on, hang in there, bud. I'm not going to win.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This is the first Season Affinity drop I've been around for and it's a ton of content. Well, content in the form of poo poo to grind out. I ain't complaining. They probably bought another month or two of my time, because Battlefield being a dressed up Hero Shooter doesn't sound like something I need to play immediately.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
What time of year do they typically release the new MLB The Show?

I've enjoyed this game well enough to want in on the ground floor of the next time around.

Also, I'm God awful at online play. But that's about all that's left, if I want to chase cards. I even managed five BR games in a row without a win.

So I am down three runs in the bottom of the third with two outs. Then manage to load the bases. Then hit a grand slam. If my busted rear end can do that, don't loving "your opponent lost their connection" on me. I know I got credit for the win, but I didn't get anything for the grand slam itself towards the missions.

I'm still not sure why it didn't say, "Your Opponent Has Quit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

late march to aprilish; with the caveat that with the MLB labor dispute it might end up getting delayed this year