Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

If you catch covid remember to wank to boost your immune system or find someone else with covid to make love to

Preventative maintenance since before puberty (losing the multiples once that hit was a slight downer). :circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ms Adequate posted:

Huh that's weird I've literally never had a decision come without them saying how much I'll be getting on the same piece of paper. Hopefully they'll tell you it's All, but at least he's on the incapable list, from personal experience that much alone must be a load off.

So the dull answer to why universal credit don't tell you how much new style ESA you are entitled to for a week is that I, his appointee, had to attend work search interviews every two weeks on his behalf while the assessment was going on. When the "decision is made" ACTION BOX is ticked they automatically cancel the next job centre interview, which is a higher priority than ticking the "figure out money" ACTION BOX.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Borrovan posted:

3 votes is honestly impressive

(gin chat: martinis are good)

It really shows how small their circle of friends is, doens't it.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Borrovan posted:

3 votes is honestly impressive

(gin chat: martinis are good)
All I can see on this candidate is that they are "anti-corruption" and supported Paterson so 3 votes is actually an impressive tally.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Feeling battered after my booster yesterday. Very poor night's sleep (not helped by getting 'Boris Johnson is Still a loving oval office' stuck in my head) and basically a hangover feeling. Hopefully gone by tomorrow.

I need fudge, Camrath. Chop chop!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm already seeing centrists in my timeline hail this as the start of the big pushback against the Tories and proof that Starmer's 4D chess plans are working. Lmao.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Rejoin EU party's candidate was called Boris Been Bunged.

Can you run under a pseudonym or did he actually change his name? That's wild commitment to FBPEism if so.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Trust the plan, Starmer is going to lose by election after by election until eventually... Prime minister.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Biggus Dickus posted:

Feeling battered after my booster yesterday. Very poor night's sleep (not helped by getting 'Boris Johnson is Still a loving oval office' stuck in my head) and basically a hangover feeling. Hopefully gone by tomorrow.

I need fudge, Camrath. Chop chop!

I'm day three and I slept pretty badly last night and woke up still feeling pretty logey, but a couple of paracetamol and some caffeine and I'm feeling better now. Confident that by the end of today or tomorrow morning I'll be back to normal.

I got a golf ball under my left armpit, though - the flu armpit!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

Starmer's 4D chess plans
Drink, dyspepsia, diarrhea, drink.
https://twitter.com/llewcid/status/1306530293319446528

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

GIN: Discovered Opihr gin a few years ago, nicely spiced and goes well with ginger ale.

I sill have some of the empty bottles as holy hell they have a comforting weight to them (nice bit of selling psychology going on there i think). ;)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Tories didn't lose the byelection, they just changed colour. People seem to have short memories and have forgotten what happened in 2010.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

It really shows how small their circle of friends is, doens't it.

I had to look her up because I honestly don't remember ever seeing a vote that low. For a start one of those votes is *not* her own as she lives in Maidstone where she's stood in every election, local and parliamentary, since 2017, generally getting tens to hundreds of votes (I have a theory that there's an absolute floor of votes any candidate can get based purely on people marking the wrong name by mistake).

There's a couple of generic local news posts about her standing as an anti-corruption candidate, a FB page that I can't be bothered logging in to look at, and a Twitter account with 16 followers since 2017 which is particularly funny because I'm certain I picked up more spambots following me than that in my first couple of weeks of posting. She only follows 4 accounts and...

One of these things are not like the other, Yolande.

Looking at the account she likes a change.org petition. Apparently the Solicitors Regulation Agency is run by female Freemasons who stitch up clients to protect a paedophile murderer motivated by Princess Diana, and Facebook are covering this up and she will use the $60bn they owe her in fines because of this to fund a hospital in Maidstone, which is nice of her, exceot Facebook have hired Nick Clegg to defend against her onslaught and he's used his power over Lib Dem-run Maidstone council to prosecute her for not paying her council tax.

There's loads more but at this point I realised that she's got some pretty obvious mental health issues and it just feels cruel to dig any further, but the one thing I will say is she's been at this for a while (there's stuff dating back 10 years on Google and a strong suggestion that she's been at it since 2001) and it's actually impressive how *little* an impression she's managed to make in a world where a couple of posts on the Icke forums can get you hundreds or thousands of followers and Q accounts get >100k followers almost overnight.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

[rabbit hole trip advisor review]

Hello fellow traveller. Yeah, she's a bizarre one isn't she? A 69 year old right-wing conspiracy theorist with no friends.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It is a little depressing to see the hold the papers have over the public consciousness. Like, the Tories have been poo poo for years now and were still ten points ahead in every poll, but the Telegraph turns on them and suddenly it's 35 point swings against them in by-elections.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Gort posted:

It is a little depressing to see the hold the papers have over the public consciousness. Like, the Tories have been poo poo for years now and were still ten points ahead in every poll, but the Telegraph turns on them and suddenly it's 35 point swings against them in by-elections.

I'm seeing my dad today, going to bring me so much joy when he starts harping on about how THEY have turned the telegraph into "a left wing rag"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gort posted:

It's old people.

We're in luck though as Capital has now mandated that the old are to be sacrificed to Omicron so it will be less of an issue going forward.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Labour MPs grasping at straws here:

https://twitter.com/justinmadders/status/1471753693036961794?s=20

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Kin posted:

So 2 weeks into being a dad and all I can say is thank gently caress I had 3 weeks of holiday saved up to tack onto the end of my pat leave.

My other half is pulling her hair out at the lack of sleep she has due to his feeding cycle (1 hour feeding/changing/settling him and he's up again an hour and a half later for more). He also still has jaundice, spits up a lot after every feed and goes through clothes super quickly as a result.

If I was back at work on Monday and wasn't here helping with what little I can, I'm not sure how she'd cope.

How does it work in other countries or is paternity leave just one of those things that are free market hosed and it's down to how generous a company is to pay you to be off looking after your new kid.

Hi, grats on your new human! Ditto to all the other folks in the thread who have also been busy producing the next generation of radicals.
Unlurking to offer this suggestion that may or may not be a workable help for you, and more specifically your partner.

One of the (few) good things that my ex did with our kids was to combine breast feeding and co-sleeping. Both of our kids very quickly sorted out how to latch on and feed during the night without her having to fully wake up. She'd partly wake up, enough to help with her or the baby's position if needed and then doze while they fed until they felt like they'd had enough. Meant that she was the envy of all the other shattered new mums at the new baby group since she got much, much more rest than they managed. We put barriers up on either side of the double bed so the wee one couldn't fall out - two of the sort of barrier/fence thing that they make for slightly older kids' beds worked brilliantly and they are designed to prevent any risk of the bairn getting stuck between them and the bed itself. I had been sleeping in the sitting room before the birth anyway, because I was working crazy long hours at a call centre and had to get up at different stupid o'clock times in the morning which she found too disruptive to her sleep, so we just continued with that set up. Result, happy baby and a pretty well rested mother.
Obviously this might not be workable and it is definitely not advisable if the mother is taking anything to help her sleep since being medicated can give a risk of not noticing if she rolls over towards the baby and is too chemically zoned out to feel it and move away. We never had any issues with this at all, the human animal is pretty good at this sort of thing or we as a species wouldn't be here. If the mother is habitually taking recreational drugs or drinking heavily this is also a huge danger of course but if that's the case there already other problems which I'm sure don't apply to you. Also, be sensible with pillows - no more than absolutely needed, you want less clutter not more. More details that I can recall if you want 'em.
Whatever solutions you find (and you will it's one of the few things that are genuinely human nature), just enjoy the hell out of the Great Adventure that you are sharing with your small person as they explore the world and work out exactly how you bigger people communicate so they can join in.

Re; a couple of other later comments that I'm not going to delve back to find to quote cos I haven't slept (hello manic phase!). Babies can and do smile long before the sixth week, my eldest was smiling by day 3 - much to the amusement of the nurses in the maternity ward (lots of "You're not supposed to do that yet you know" teasing comments). No it wasn't wind, I have photos to prove it. And, yeah no kidding even the smallest babies have a want and need to be social with other humans, again it's an actual part of human nature. Humans are born as fully fledged personalities, none of this "blank slate waiting to be filled" crap. To quote Oliver Postgate "there's no such thing as children there's just people who haven't been around as long". Just cos they can't speak doesn't mean that they aren't communicating, and want to be communicated with, and played with and gently teased and amazed and so on and so forth.

I've spent almost all of my life embedded in stuff to do with very young babies since my father has worked on infant development for over 50 years (and shows no signs of stopping despite having reached his 90s). It's apparently all my fault, he was working with primates when I was born and in his own words "I realised that EV was more interesting than a baboon"* so he started working with young humans instead. He gets called a psychologist but self-describes as a biologist who studies people. I am also inordinately proud of the fact that Stephen Pinker hates him because he keeps poking holes in Pinker's pet theories. Pinker is a self-important twit.
*I _am_ going to get that on a T-shirt, and yes I am ancient :corsair:

Enough, or too much!
Off to continue enjoying the horrible Christmas that Boris is having. Bloody fantastic stuff and so loving deserved.

Keep being the weird lefty (well mostly...) virtual pub that this thread is. Keep yourselves and others as sane and safe from the 'rona as you can. Have fun, stay groovy.
I'll eventually catch up with the thread again, and if my brain is in whizzing mode you might just suffer another traditional wall of text. Sorry not sorry

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I don’t know who this is but sounds like they are just thanking their candidate for running?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/StephenWadswor2/status/1471761994613149703

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Kin posted:

So 2 weeks into being a dad and all I can say is thank gently caress I had 3 weeks of holiday saved up to tack onto the end of my pat leave.

My company isn't really that great with the benefits and only provides the government mandated minimum (same goes for pension contributions) so they just give me the two weeks off.

At 2 weeks though, we're still not 100% on the feeding or sleeping schedule. My other half is pulling her hair out at the lack of sleep she has due to his feeding cycle (1 hour feeding/changing/settling him and he's up again an hour and a half later for more). He also still has jaundice, spits up a lot after every feed and goes through clothes super quickly as a result.

If I was back at work on Monday and wasn't here helping with what little I can, I'm not sure how she'd cope.

How does it work in other countries or is paternity leave just one of those things that are free market hosed and it's down to how generous a company is to pay you to be off looking after your new kid.

Is the spitting up after a feed reflux? We had it with our little one. The best thing is to make sure to keep them inclined after feeding, which can be longer than you expect but it did help us with the spitting up.

Having two weeks paternity sucked. I worked for a university at the time and in theory I could have shared some of my wife's maternity leave but I needed to have at least a year left on my contract after returning from the leave which I did not due to the short nature of postdoc contracts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've got twins coming in a few months and I'm so glad we're both with the same employer and they're pretty good with mat/pat leave. The idea of having to go back to work after two weeks is stressing me out just thinking about it. I don't understand why paternity leave isn't at least a couple of months as standard - it's all very antiquated.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1471791734745145345

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Kin posted:

We tried that for a couple of days. Me going to bed at 8pm and getting up at 3am to take over until my other half got up at 9am.

Tricky thing is, I'm the only one that can drive and my other half has insomnia and can't ever get to sleep earlier than she needs to.

So when it came to the next day I was often a bit too exhausted to drive to do things like pick up the groceries or take them to visit family members or hospital appointments, etc.

It also wouldn't work for when I go back to work in a few weeks so we've recently swapped to each taking turns to get up for a feed through the night.

I go to bed at 11pm while she feeds 12 to 1. I'm up at 3 to 4 to give him another feed, then she's up at 6 to 7 for the next one, then we're both up 9 to 10 before she has a nap to top up sleep.

It's been a mixed bag but I think that's mostly because his daily routine has been messed about with us having to travel to things for him (like registering birth) meaning we've had to introduce semi random formula bottle feeds. Plus he has a lot of reflux so that keeps him up.

Anyway, sorry for baby chat but it just twigged that the government (and my crappy company) think that 2 weeks is just enough time to get this stuff sorted.

As another new(ish) parent I deeply empathise. (Our baby will be six months next week.)

The sleep stuff is so rough, particularly at the start. We both tried sleeping with a "I take this feed, you take the next feed" routine and that sort of worked. It seems like you have a system that works for you.

A couple of rough bullet points if you care for them. (And for any new or soon to be new parent.)

• We had been told to feed our baba every two hours all as part of the process of her getting her weight up. We did it through a mix of breast feeding with some bottle feeding and she did really well in putting on weight. We were then told by the doctors/nurses that they were shocked that we actually stuck to the every two hour schedule. They tell new parents to do it every two hours and figure they won't stick to it but that they'll get most of the way there. So don't panic if you don't hit every target, it's more aspirational.
  • It get's so much easier when you are told to do it every three hours. I know it doesn't sound like much but it means going from three feeds overnight to two. And eventually they tell you to not wake them and let them tell you when to feed. Which again makes a huge difference. Our little angel baby started sleeping through the night after about two and a half months. Hopefully it happens to you soon.
  • Speaking of timed feeds, get an App. My wife uses an App to record when she feeds and for how long. This is crucial since you are going to be so sleep deprived you won't remember feeds after a while.
  • When it comes to electronic reminders, do the same for when you give them medicine. Make a note (I WhatsApp the time to my wife) of when you give them Calpol/Gripe Water/ whatever medicine. It sounds silly but you will want to know when that six hour window is up so you can give them another dose, because you will be so tired you will otherwise forget.
  • When it comes to medicines, you can get special soothers that you can hook up plastic syringes to so they can suck their 2.5/5 mil doses instead of trying to just squirt it into their mouths like they are pets. These soothers are a godsend. Get one, and get a bunch of small plastic syringes from your pharmacy. Just hand-wash them and change the syringe every couple of weeks when they get stuck and won't plunge.
  • To help with sleep I strongly recommend getting a White Noise machine. Get used to putting them near where the baby sleeps and putting them on. They really help block noises and can make sure your baby gets longer uninterrupted sleeps.
  • Barry was talking about baby farts. The main character of 1990's themed FPS, Lo-Wang, was wrong. Baby farts are not weak.
    They are so smelly and loud and hilarious. They can also be huge discomfort for the baby. Talk to a doctor or pharmacists, they will probably recommend Gripe Water. (Just make sure it doesn't have alcohol in it. That was what all the old ones were like.) It really helps, I recommend the dosing syringe.
  • The other big thing I found that helped with babies with tummy troubles is gently rubbing them on the bum on the outside of their nappy. Give them occasional (gentle) smacks on the bum on the outside of the nappy. I know that this makes me sound really dodgy, but it helps sooth the baby and can make them fart which will help the baby.
  • When it comes to winding the baby don't do hard back slaps. They hurt the baby and are bad for the spine. Better to rub their back up and down to force the air out and they'll burp. This is also hilarious.
  • Sleep. Be really careful over how tired you are. There were times that I felt fine to do stuff and then almost fell asleep in the car while driving. Be careful and be prepared to pull over and rest if you think you are too tired.

There are tons of more points if anyone finds this stuff useful.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

I've got twins coming in a few months and I'm so glad we're both with the same employer and they're pretty good with mat/pat leave. The idea of having to go back to work after two weeks is stressing me out just thinking about it. I don't understand why paternity leave isn't at least a couple of months as standard - it's all very antiquated.

It's capitalism, baby(ies).

Nah, really it's a hosed situation.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

loving LOL

https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1471789165880786946

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1471794312832864263

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

forkboy84 posted:

It's capitalism, baby(ies).

Nah, really it's a hosed situation.

I think it's a mix of capitalism but also the Patriarchy.

A lot of ideas about how looking after babies is purely a woman's job and how hard can it? Surely all you need is two weeks to recover from giving birth? And post partum depression isn't a real thing.
Even moving past the most gross sexist things, there is a lot of assumptions in our society that the mother and not the father should just KNOW what to do when it comes to parenting.
Like ideas that the media we have been consuming all our lives teach us this. ("Girls play with dolls. So that is training for raising babies." Etc...)

This gave me a sort of idea that some video game company should make a Dark Souls/Bloodbourne type game which is all about raising a baby. (Boss fights are complicated rituals of checking temperature, holding the baby in the right posisition, burping, changing nappies and swaddling them before carefully placing them in cots. All to get a big screen that says "Wee One Asleep!")
By hyping how difficult it all is, you'd pull in masochist gamers who pride themselves on defeating challenges while also raising a generation of young people to gain vital nurturing/parenting instincts.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

One of those rare ‘stopped clock’ moments from thread favourite, nice to see him winding up the melts for once

https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/1471720985791500291?s=21

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

peanut- posted:

Can you run under a pseudonym or did he actually change his name? That's wild commitment to FBPEism if so.

I know/knew the dude personally, as I’ve mentioned before- he’s a complete lunatic. He also changed his name legally at least three times in the noughties when I kept up contact with him; it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he had legally changed it again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

("Girls play with dolls. So that is training for raising babies." Etc...)
That reminds me of one of my favourite historical conspiracy theories just because of how batshit it is.

Do not allow your daughters to play with the white genocide bear.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

The Tories didn't lose the byelection, they just changed colour. People seem to have short memories and have forgotten what happened in 2010.
And pre 2019 when a massive chunk of Tories defected to the lib dems. Half of the Lib candidates are literally Tory infiltrators.

One thing that strikes me is that Labour's swing to the right and attempted rebranding as the party of business is... Why did they do this with Labour? I mean I get the MI5 plant conspiracy theories, and I can also see why they would just look at Labour as the 2nd biggest party and so the most likely non-tory place to make it happen. But just looking at the labour right as a group who genuinely think that centrism and business appeal is the thing... Why battle twice as hard to turn Labour into that?

It's not a great analogy, but it's like if a company did a hostile takeover of McDonalds, with the reputation McDonalds has; then pivoted to health food only, and then spent their whole time bitching that they lost their entire customer base. The core will stop going because they're no longer getting what they used to go for (trash burgers), and the new audience (health food) are going to be put off by the long-term reputation, historic branding and the old customer base who want that old branding back.

This is an actual problem McDonalds are actually having, an attempted pivot to health food and being seen as almost a starbucks-esque middle class coffee joint, but they still have to appeal to the huge chunk of their base who want a cheap burger meal, turn up wearing trackies and scare off the nice middle class families they want to be appealing to.

Like it's not possible to be the party of workers rights AND the party of business. It's just not. And if you're going to try and go all-in on business, then it's absolutely nonsensical to try and do that in a party still structurally funded by unions. Businesses are never going to fund a party that is still tied to the unions, not like they would the tories or Lib Dems.

It's just mad, but Keith and his pet dickheads are never going to be able to see why people hate them. They're management wankers.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Greggs tried to pivot to healthy food, failed, and then moved on to instead creating vegan versions of its existing garbage pastries. Unrelated but I got caught up in the McDonald's analogy.

What I'm saying is, and here me out, vegan new Labour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

The UK doesn't have a concept of a "legal name", you can call yourself whatever you want here, the legal system might want some indication that you do that consistently if it comes up, but if you call yourself that enough, it's as much your name as anything else is.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

As another new(ish) parent I deeply empathise. (Our baby will be six months next week.)

The sleep stuff is so rough, particularly at the start. We both tried sleeping with a "I take this feed, you take the next feed" routine and that sort of worked. It seems like you have a system that works for you.

There are tons of more points if anyone finds this stuff useful.

this is all solid advice

++ to the gripe water, we also used infacol which seemed to do the job more often than not

we got my daughter one of these white noise toys https://www.amazon.co.uk/SweetDreamers-Ewan-Deluxe-Washable-Soother/dp/B07FFW4R9F which was incredibly helpful during the first year, though waking up in the middle of the night and hearing someone going shh shh when we first got it absolutely scared the poo poo out of me

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

And pre 2019 when a massive chunk of Tories defected to the lib dems. Half of the Lib candidates are literally Tory infiltrators.

One thing that strikes me is that Labour's swing to the right and attempted rebranding as the party of business is... Why did they do this with Labour? I mean I get the MI5 plant conspiracy theories, and I can also see why they would just look at Labour as the 2nd biggest party and so the most likely non-tory place to make it happen. But just looking at the labour right as a group who genuinely think that centrism and business appeal is the thing... Why battle twice as hard to turn Labour into that?

It's not a great analogy, but it's like if a company did a hostile takeover of McDonalds, with the reputation McDonalds has; then pivoted to health food only, and then spent their whole time bitching that they lost their entire customer base. The core will stop going because they're no longer getting what they used to go for (trash burgers), and the new audience (health food) are going to be put off by the long-term reputation, historic branding and the old customer base who want that old branding back.

This is an actual problem McDonalds are actually having, an attempted pivot to health food and being seen as almost a starbucks-esque middle class coffee joint, but they still have to appeal to the huge chunk of their base who want a cheap burger meal, turn up wearing trackies and scare off the nice middle class families they want to be appealing to.

Like it's not possible to be the party of workers rights AND the party of business. It's just not. And if you're going to try and go all-in on business, then it's absolutely nonsensical to try and do that in a party still structurally funded by unions. Businesses are never going to fund a party that is still tied to the unions, not like they would the tories or Lib Dems.

It's just mad, but Keith and his pet dickheads are never going to be able to see why people hate them. They're management wankers.

:hai:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Because most of them got put there under Blair, so it's less that they took over it and more that it's just what they had, and they're making it what they want, but not what anyone else wants. And when they gently caress up they'll coast into some other stupid rich failure job.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Question IRL posted:

• We had been told to feed our baba every two hours all as part of the process of her getting her weight up. We did it through a mix of breast feeding with some bottle feeding and she did really well in putting on weight. We were then told by the doctors/nurses that they were shocked that we actually stuck to the every two hour schedule. They tell new parents to do it every two hours and figure they won't stick to it but that they'll get most of the way there. So don't panic if you don't hit every target, it's more aspirational.
  • It get's so much easier when you are told to do it every three hours. I know it doesn't sound like much but it means going from three feeds overnight to two. And eventually they tell you to not wake them and let them tell you when to feed. Which again makes a huge difference. Our little angel baby started sleeping through the night after about two and a half months. Hopefully it happens to you soon.
We weren't given this advice until she was a few weeks old, when the midwife just assumed we'd been waking the baby up for feeds the whole time because of all the weight she'd put on. We're lucky to have a good sleeper, she tells us if she needs something, having talked to a bunch of other parents about it I'd advise not to ever wake a sleeping baby, that's mental, take some "you" time when you can.

My main advice is not to overthink it (anything). We've done a bunch of reading (my partner's reading is worth more than mine since she works with data & is an expert on research methods), there's actually an astonishingly weak evidential basis for most of the advice (which is weird as gently caress when you think about it, you'd think "every human who ever lived" is a pretty good data set but :shrug:), and even when there is a strong evidential basis there's still huge variation and there is no such thing as an average baby so most of the advice won't apply to yours. You can easily drive yourself mad trying to do the "right" thing (whatever that is), but nobody knows your baby better than you do. Do what you've got to do, there'll be problems but you'll work it out, it's fine. Basically,

Borrovan posted:

Just Wing It All The Time
e: seconding infacol, worked for us

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1471504730484404239

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Which party is pub grub?