Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Moogles access comedy physics so they’re fine. Partial Hildebrand exemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

loving lmao

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I wonder if Square Enix has asked ActiBlizzard if they can borrow some servers.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:carol:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

this works even better when you consider that the lifeboats weren't actually full, the people tasked with filling them just weren't very competent :v:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's a long ways off but I'll guess two new DPS next expansion, a melee that shares Scouting gear and a caster that gets the dots they took away from everyone else

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

a caster that gets the dots they took away from everyone else

the triumphant return of fracture

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

FuturePastNow posted:

It's a long ways off but I'll guess two new DPS next expansion, a melee that shares Scouting gear and a caster that gets the dots they took away from everyone else

no, only bard may dot

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm getting MNK to level 90 (currently 87) and liking the changes: I'm glad that they got rid of most of the oGCDs and the blitzes make the job quite interesting to use, so overall I am very positive about the changes and the way the job handles.

On the other hand, downsynched MNK at level 50 sucks a huge amount of balls now, even compared to level 50 MNK before the changes.

Basically, it used to be that level 50 MNK used to have a mostly feature complete set of skills that didn't really change the feel of the job and the only thing that you unlocked was the ability to apply Formless Fist at level 52 (which just made your initial rotation smoother, as well as allowing you to continue comboing even after a cutscene) and a whole host of oGCDs and damage buffs. Since your PB window was exactly the same at level 50 as it would be at 80 (DK -> BS three times) and there was never a situation where you could gain Formless Fist at either level, the burst window felt fine and there weren't many issues with it, because if you hated the fact that PB pulled you out of the combo, you would hate it at any level higher than 50, regardless.

Now, however, at level 50 since you haven't unlocked blitzes yet, but have unlocked PBs, you have to do two completely different burst windows pre level 60 versus level 50. Basically, at level 50 you do the old rotation of just DK -> BS three times, albeit you have to remember to press PB again after you finish the first PB window, which is annoying in itself. But this is completely different to the blitz PB window and in comparison, makes the level 50 PB feel like complete rear end, especially due to the lack of Formless Fist at the end of either PB window. It's made me really detest getting downsynched as MNK, when before EW it never really did that much of a difference if you went to level 50.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Here's a bit of a weird question cause I know they've never done this before but could they do a ranged DPS that uses scouting?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I was thinking nekonecromancer for a new magic dps. Mainly because of Hero’s Gauntlet.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Dear SE, let me use reaper scythe for botony, pls thx

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

i don't really understand the appeal that people see in dot-based classes. dots are plain terrible in all forms of side-content in XIV. in bozja, skirmishes can be over in less than half of the pre-buff bard dot durations. in potd and hoh, every non-boss mob dies before your dots are even halfway ticked down. frontloading your damage is sincerely rewarded in all side-content.

so the only encounters that can be potentially rewarding for heavy dot users are duo or trio bosses in dungeons/trials/normal/alliance raids. but, most of those specifically prevent you from applying dots to more than one boss enemy. in the nier raids, you can't apply any damage to a non-imprinted boss on the triple superior flight unit fight. on the hansel & gretel fight, the shielded enemy ignores any damage over time effects. in o12, you're imprinted again to only be able to damage one or the other.

are people just pining to be warlocks? i actually don't get it.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 17, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

raverrn posted:

Hey Squeenix what this poo poo where are my bits that do a cool Nu Gundam wing when docked?

I was loving promised.

i dont even know who gundam is but do you mean this?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

raverrn posted:

Hey Squeenix what this poo poo where are my bits that do a cool Nu Gundam wing when docked?

I was loving promised.

foiled by depth perception again!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Frida Call Me posted:

i don't really understand the appeal that people see in dot-based classes. dots are plain terrible in all forms of side-content in XIV. in bozja, skirmishes can be over in less than half of the pre-buff bard dot durations. in potd and hoh, every non-boss mob dies before your dots are even halfway ticked down. frontloading your damage is sincerely rewarded in all side-content.

so the only encounters that can be potentially rewarding for heavy dot users are duo or trio bosses in dungeons/trials/normal/alliance raids. but, most of those specifically prevent you from applying dots to more than one boss enemy. in the nier raids, you can't apply any damage to a non-imprinted boss on the triple superior flight unit fight. on the hansel & gretel fight, the shielded enemy ignores any damage over time effects. in o12, you're imprinted again to only be able to damage one or the other.

You can see the icons under a boss name and think 'look I'm still doing something' while you fumble the controls playing virtual the floor is lava.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

dots are good for healers so i dont lose all my dps when i have to cast a non-swiftcast raise on one of the reapers because swiftcast is on cooldown from the last reaper

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't enjoy dots when they're something to manage on a class that's otherwise not really about dots (which is unfortunate because that is extremely common in FFXIV, but I've made my peace with that). I do think that actual dot-focused classes can be fun, though, when managing the dots is kinda your whole thing.

I like how GW2 handles dots: they tend to have very short durations but dots of the same type stack intensity, so you play this game where you try to stack up your dots as high as you can and keep them there. It helps that dot tick damage is shown like flying out of the enemy so you just see this fountain of burning, bleeding, torment, etc. numbers flying out of the enemy.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

blatman posted:

dots are good for healers so i dont lose all my dps when i have to cast a non-swiftcast raise on one of the reapers because swiftcast is on cooldown from the last reaper

oh yeah, love the dots on healers, i just wish white mage would have something to do while moving other than refreshing dia

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So after deliberating for a while, I think my EW jobs are going to be RDM/SUM, WAR, SCH, RPR, and BRD.

I was WHM for my healer since basically HW, so I have no idea how SCH really works now. This did not stop me from buying myself an early Christmas present in the form of an 80 boost for it.

Can someone give me the rundown on how to be a pro SCH healer?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Here's a bit of a weird question cause I know they've never done this before but could they do a ranged DPS that uses scouting?

Why though?

I feel like "we need another scouting job" should be "why do we have scouting" - just merge scouting and maiming, then make NIN scale off those stats. As for the issue of people's jewelry - obviously this would be done in an expansion switchover, so just make the melee dps accessories free on tome vendors for a little while or something.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Eh, I don't like doing something like that.

It doesn't matter at all from the lens of gameplay, but having a melee class that scales off of Dexterity (or agility, finesse, etc.) is a flavor niche that quite a lot people like.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Onean posted:

Eh, I don't like doing something like that.

It doesn't matter at all from the lens of gameplay, but having a melee class that scales off of Dexterity (or agility, finesse, etc.) is a flavor niche that quite a lot people like.

But it doesn't actually do anything as a niche. Nothing about dex vs str distinguishes ninja from monk in any way. The distinction comes from class mechanics and animations, which don't care what the background number is named.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Why though?

I feel like "we need another scouting job" should be "why do we have scouting" - just merge scouting and maiming, then make NIN scale off those stats. As for the issue of people's jewelry - obviously this would be done in an expansion switchover, so just make the melee dps accessories free on tome vendors for a little while or something.

Cause the scouting looks different and its cool to have more types of clothing appearances!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Triple Triad grinding goons: is the drop rate higher for a card from Ex trial than regular trial?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the downside to consolidating armor types is that it leads to fewer new gear appearances with each set of armor released, which can be unfortunate when there are jobs that already don't get a lot of sets that really match their specific aesthetic. That said just palette-swapping armor is common enough that this might not matter as much as it seems like it would, I guess.

The upside would be concentrating the loot pool a bit so it's more so there's no more gear type that literally only matters to one job in the whole game. Of course adding more scouting jobs in the future would be another way to address that, so there are at least more jobs that care about it.

Also merging scouting and maiming would be very odd aesthetically since maiming gear so frequently takes its cues from fending. The often-armored look would be pretty dissonant with Ninja. It'd be easier to merge with striking, even if that means there are too many striking jobs.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I did a couple clears of the Accessory giving EX last night, was overjoyed to see I was the only melee so all that slaying would be funneled directly onto me. And then 2-3 pieces of aiming dropped each clear instead. Got a necklace at least!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I love every time I'm doing a Studium quest and the professor is thinking to themself "if only I could get a sample from the Moon" and I say "oh yeah I go to the moon all the time" which makes them do the surprised emote.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Cause the scouting looks different and its cool to have more types of clothing appearances!
But they can just make more appearances for striking?

Like, I feel like there's got to be a good solution to "we have 3 different types of melee dps gear" that doesn't mean creating less appearances.

Harrow posted:

Also merging scouting and maiming would be very odd aesthetically since maiming gear so frequently takes its cues from fending. The often-armored look would be pretty dissonant with Ninja. It'd be easier to merge with striking, even if that means there are too many striking jobs.
Whoops, yeah, meant scouting and striking. But right now, Scouting is 1, Striking is 2 and Maiming is 2. So 3/2 after a merge wouldn't be bad.

e: It's kind of funny because I don't think Reaper fits very well in striking? Their starter gear is practically a cloth robe.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Thundarr posted:

But it doesn't actually do anything as a niche. Nothing about dex vs str distinguishes ninja from monk in any way. The distinction comes from class mechanics and animations, which don't care what the background number is named.

Like I said, it doesn't have any gameplay impact. It's entirely flavor. Some people like having a character that scales primarily off of a finesse stat instead of a power stat in their RPGs. There's often side benefits to doing that which FFXIV doesn't have, but even without those the flavor can be enough for some.

Here's an example that's comparing apples to oranges from a game systems standpoint, but I'm saying to view it from a flavor standpoint. Soulsborne games have a variety of melee weapons that scale off of a bunch of different stats. Strength and dexterity, of course, but also traditionally caster stats like intelligence. Now, in those games there's actual game reasons to do that, like I said it doesn't compare well. But for me, for example, without any knowledge I'll usually gravitate towards a melee build that scales off whatever the casting stat is, just because I like the concept of a melee caster. I don't need a gameplay reason to do it, I just like the flavor of it. (If FFXIV ever added Mystic Knight, I'd be ecstatic.)

Oxyclean posted:

But they can just make more appearances for striking?

Like, I feel like there's got to be a good solution to "we have 3 different types of melee dps gear" that doesn't mean creating less appearances.

They could do that, but then Striking sets would be getting two appearances (or, more likely, 1.5 or even 1.25) for every one appearance the other sets would get, and that wouldn't work long term. The obvious answer would be to just do that for every set, but there's only so many work hours available, and the art teams are already doing extra work to bring in male Viera, female Hrothgar and more hats for those races. They can't just nearly double the number of armor set appearances.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Frida Call Me posted:

It's me, I'm the one who liked playing Affliction in WoW and enjoyed summoner back when it was sorta afflictiony. I'm not sad to see the dots go but I wouldn't mind having a class with dots+bane and such again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

e: It's kind of funny because I don't think Reaper fits very well in striking? Their starter gear is practically a cloth robe.

I think you mean maiming :v:

Anyway Reaper and Gunbreaker have similar situations with their gear, I think. Both of them use a gear type that is usually more heavily-armored than you'd expect that job to wear. For Gunbreakers, big, knightly armor doesn't quite feel right (though I do enjoy some of the more armored Gunbreaker glams I've seen), and for Reaper, it feels like they should be wearing flowing cloth robes and stuff. But then again Zenos still wears clanky armor as a Reaper so it seems to work fine, and there are still plenty of fending and maiming appearances that are lightly-armored or don't look like armor at all so its not a huge deal.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

blatman posted:

i dont even know who gundam is but do you mean this?

Alphinaud recalls his nouliths asymmetrically in the trailer in a way almost certainly intended to look like this giant robot

Like I would be shocked if there isn't a dev note somewhere that describes the nouliths as fin funnels

TGLT fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 17, 2021

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

VanillaGorilla posted:

So after deliberating for a while, I think my EW jobs are going to be RDM/SUM, WAR, SCH, RPR, and BRD.

My WAR and PLD are both 75 right now. I'm going PLD based on the simple fact that I can't stand running around with leftover Beast gauge swirling about.

"Yes ma'am, I'd like 99 Gysahl Greens, please. Don't mind the red swirls, I'm actually quite calm right now ❤."

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Maiming Cryptlurker looked great on Reaper and I glammed it for most of my 80-90 adventure.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it owns how the maiming Cryptlurker gear was just straight-up made for Reaper

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Harrow posted:

Yeah it owns how the maiming Cryptlurker gear was just straight-up made for Reaper

Shame you can't remove the faceplate on the hood.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just Icarus rocketed up to some guy with 10% HP in Frontline that was sprinting away and gibbed him with Phlegma

Phlegma balls bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Ironslave posted:

Shame you can't remove the faceplate on the hood.

Doesn't it move up with the visor command?