Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fritz the Horse posted:

I never said there is pressure to make it less deadly, I'm not an evolutionary virologist. I've been consistent in this thread that it's dangerous to assume Omicron causes less severe disease because we don't actually have good data to show either way.

You and UCS Hellmaker are the posters that made specific claims. I'm asking where you got 1% IFR is too low and evolutionary pressure for less severity kicks in... where?

I’m sorry are you suggesting that the claim needing to be proved here is that there is no clear source for selective pressure? Why are you not upset that someone suggested, and is a very popular misconception, that there currently exists selection pressure on covid to be less deadly? The second one is the affirmative claim. What evidence is there for that? Just even logically it doesn’t make any sense right now: the virus is spreading throughout the world without any trouble. Selection pressure is created when one mutation can spread better than another, and if something came after omicron that killed 10% of people nothing is going to make that less transmissible than what it is right now.

It sounds like you’re seriously arguing that since I can’t prove definitively that the reduction in susceptible host population caused by the 1% IFR of covid is insufficient to cause pressure for a less deadly variant, we should just assume that the pressure exists and it will get less deadly. How unbelievably backwards in addition to being pedantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Or because that after the first two waves, immunity from previous infection and vaccinations and dampening the likliness of severe disease.

I think we're still a few weeks from having data to be sure either way on severity, tbh.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Been less deadly so far. Either because the virus changed or because humans acquired immunity.

Those waves all have nearly identical ratios, or was that the joke

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Stereotype posted:

Those waves all have nearly identical ratios, or was that the joke

Might want to count how many waves are on the top graph and how many waves are on the bottom graph.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Might want to count how many waves are on the top graph and how many waves are on the bottom graph.

There are three on each. Or are you also including the recent spike in cases that hasn’t yet translated to deaths? I really hope I don’t have to convince anyone that deaths lag cases and we just haven’t seen them yet.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Stereotype posted:

There are three on each. Or are you also including the recent spike in cases that hasn’t yet translated to deaths? I really hope I don’t have to convince anyone that deaths lag cases and we just haven’t seen them yet.

Cases spiked up November 23rd.

No other set of deaths on that graph lags by 24 days.

For example: the cases in the second wave peak on January 11th, Deaths Peak January 16th (Five Days). 24 days after the case peak (February 4th) on the graph the death count is already half way down the declining side of the wave.

The lag on literally every feature on that graph is 5-10 days. No where else is there a single example of a 20+ death lag.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-17/s-africa-says-hospitalizations-in-omicron-wave-much-lower

South Africa Hospitalization Rate Plunges in Omicron Wave

“We have seen a decrease in a proportion of people who need to be on oxygen. They are at very low levels,” said Waasila Jassat, a researcher with the NICD. “For the first time there are more non-severe than severe patients in hospital.”

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
If non severe means one can still taste, I’m going to eat so much loving ham at Denny’s next week.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Yeah, you can make a fair argument that there is a delay between deaths and infection, but unless there is no a bigger delay between deaths and infections than there was before, those graphs are defintely not indentical any more. Not saying that this couldn't change in the future, or that there could be fault data, or all number of thing that might come out because it's early. It also isn't evidence that the infection is now causing less serious infections, as it could equally just be that higher amounts of immunity from vaccines and past infections is dampening the effect on serious illness.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

droll posted:

If non severe means one can still taste, I’m going to eat so much loving ham at Denny’s next week.

Is ham the code word for u kno what these days?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

hosts and mutations

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

crepeface posted:

the next variant is definitely going to be less deadly he said increasingly nervously

Obviously, Omicron is less harmful. Look it's a calming green, while Delta is a menacing red!
You make some weird indication that more mutations are automatically worse. Most probably do jack.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Realistically it being the humans that are acquiring immunity is probably a big part of the difference.

However, there is evidence that omicron legitimately is better at infecting bronchial tissue and worse at lung tissue. Which makes a lot of sense. Becoming more of an upper respiratory illness is exactly what other human coronaviruses have converged on.

https://www.med.hku.hk/en/news/press/20211215-omicron-sars-cov-2-infection?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=press_release

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This is by far the weakest of this sort of claim but it sure does look like you can just pick out the exact spot omicron started being the spreading variant in denmark. Or that it gotten to "about half" the cases time shifted back a little bit.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

crepeface posted:

WA had a few delta scares and lockdown worked to us back to zero covid. Also, I remember this convo we had earlier in the year:

"Scares," sure, but has WA actually had Delta community transmission within the state? You've had Delta positive people (or truckies who later tested positive) be present, but I'm not sure there's been any actual community transmission. Queensland I think is the better example of a place that has managed to swiftly crush it; IIRC they had a high school cluster that got up to like 5 or 6 cases a day for a few days and still managed to stomp it out. Which I think suggests there's an element of luck to being able to smother a Delta outbreak in the cradle. Unfortunately COVID only has to get lucky once, Queensland and WA have to (or had to, for Queensland) get lucky all the time. Look at the NT now - still attempting to put out a Delta spot fire that started a month ago with rolling community lockdowns, because it keeps cropping back up even after they've gone a few days or a week of no new cases.

Re: everything you quoted from me, I stand by it, including Australia being one of the few Western countries to take this seriously. It still is. I got spooked by all the headlines about various European countries having to reintroduce "lockdowns" over the past month before actually reading the articles and realising that "lockdowns" for them means QR check-in codes and unvaccinated people not being able to go to bars - lol.

quote:

Honestly, NSW seemed like the biggest issue. If they had done as Melbourne had, we'd probably be close to zero covid nationwide.

So, again, because nobody seems willing to acknowledge this: Melbourne locked down harder and faster over a Delta outbreak than Sydney did and still ended up with skyrocketing numbers that ended up worse than we'd ever seen.

It gives me no pleasure to acknowledge this! I hated the smug attitude from certain too-online Sydneysiders in 2020, I hated the Murdoch press' fawning over Berejiklian and demonisation of Andrews, I hated the way Labor-governed states were pilloried for closed borders while SA and Tasmania mysteriously escaped criticism, I hated the obvious Liberal-driven politicisation of NSW's "gold standard" contact tracing, I hated the hubris that instilled, and I hated the way Berejiklian's government slowly ummed and ahhed its way into a lockdown while the rest of the country was screaming at them to do it immediately. In Victoria, with everything we'd already gone through, I hated the feeling of my state being joined at the hip and held hostage to the one state in the country that insisted on kicking against the pricks. But the fact that Delta subsequently went ahead and resulted in worse outcomes than 2020 ever saw in Melbourne, Canberra and Auckland - despite all of those cities' governing authorities doing everything right - should be demonstration enough to any reasonable person that it doesn't matter whether your government pussyfooted around or not, Delta was going to tear up your playbook anyway.

I don't like that fact. It loving sucks. It would be a lot easier to still be able to blame everything on the hubris of Gladys Berejiklian and the rest of her cabinet, because it's easier to just hate a convenient villain. But Delta was just way more infectious. That is an opinion-free fact. You can read all about it in actual peer-reviewed scientific journals and not just the pre-prints this thread is so fond of. It's bizarre to me that people will accept this yet not accept the obvious inference that NPIs which worked against a less infectious virus in 2020 won't work against a much more infectious virus in 2021 - or at least not enough for a lockdown to accomplish elimination again.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Smeef posted:

Is ham the code word for u kno what these days?

All I’m saying is that there will definitely be moons over my hammy this weekend.

It looks like my fiancée and I are going to have to cancel our wedding, which is currently scheduled to take place three weeks from tomorrow. We had already postponed it by a year due to COVID, but we thought it would be okay this year, given that our area has implemented vaccine passports - however, the provincial government on our side of the border has implemented restrictions as of yesterday, which means that the province next door (where our venue is) will be doing likewise. This time will be a full cancellation, as neither of us are willing to re-plan everything for a third time, and I think we both see the writing on the wall that more mutations are just going to send us right back into lockdown in a year. It’s small potatoes when compared to having a functional health care system and keeping as many people alive as possible, and we’re both lucky in the sense that we can work from home through the coming wave, but it still sucks.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Evolutionary pressure actually. Otherwise the flu of 1918 would still be killing people now. Bacterial and viral infections want to maximize potential hosts, which means that over time things will select for milder strains because rapidly killing your host actually lowers your abity to reproduce and spread. It's the same principle with parasites.

It could happen. There is no guarantee that it will. Plenty of perfectly deadly diseases have been circulating in humanity for centuries, we've just gotten much better at being able to treat a lot of them.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://twitter.com/michaelzlin/status/1471749391585214465
Again preliminary with many caveats but it will be interesting to see the same data from other countries.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Again preliminary with many caveats but it will be interesting to see the same data from other countries.

Wow this is great news, hopefully it holds up

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Would SA be a good barometer for severity since they have more unvaccinated people than in say, Europe or the US?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Hard to know, they also have a lot of previously infected people as well, which is probably closer to the UK and US.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Would SA be a good barometer for severity since they have more unvaccinated people than in say, Europe or the US?

My understanding is it's a bit harder to tell since while they have extremely low vaccination rates (25% of total population or so IIRC), past waves hit so hard it's assumed like at least half the population has had COVID in some form by this point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think in any other circumstance their data would be trusted. It's mostly that what it's saying is fairly fantastical that (maybe rightfully) is making it feel harder to swallow.

(although I'm not sure people would be giving it this level of great skepticism if the same data had indicated the opposite)

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I'm not skeptical of the data, but we need more of it to draw any significant conclusions, especially for how this will play out globally. But this coupled with the reports from clinicians in South African hospitals makes for some better news at least.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is by far the weakest of this sort of claim but it sure does look like you can just pick out the exact spot omicron started being the spreading variant in denmark. Or that it gotten to "about half" the cases time shifted back a little bit.

(..)

Denmark did not in fact cross over to +50% Omicron cases at the end of November. There had only been 63 Omicron cases in total at that time, versus the ~5k daily Delta cases. All suspected cases from that period have been fully sequenced.

What has happened is that the most frail have had a 3rd dose (or "first revaccination" as it is called officially); ~82% of 70+ currently. That has nothing to do with the relative danger of Omicron versus Delta, where the current message from health authorities is that it is not milder than Delta.

Sources:
Danish CDC Omicron report - https://files.ssi.dk/covid19/omikron/statusrapport/rapport-omikronvarianten-11122021-uy12
Report on vaccinations ("Andel af borgere der har fået 3. stik") - https://coronasmitte.dk/nyt-fra-myndighederne/vaccinationsindsatsen-i-tal

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pingui posted:

Denmark did not in fact cross over to +50% Omicron cases at the end of November. There had only been 63 Omicron cases in total at that time, versus the ~5k daily Delta cases. All suspected cases from that period have been fully sequenced.

Oh well then, if you are counting only lab confirmed cases and not estimates of spread then the news gets even better!

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/epidemiological-update-omicron-data-16-december

All cases in the EU/EEA for which there is available information on severity were either asymptomatic or mild. Within the EU/EEA there have been no Omicron-related deaths reported thus far.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Oh well then, if you are counting only lab confirmed cases and not estimates of spread then the news gets even better!

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/epidemiological-update-omicron-data-16-december

All cases in the EU/EEA for which there is available information on severity were either asymptomatic or mild. Within the EU/EEA there have been no Omicron-related deaths reported thus far.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Denmark sequences all cases that can be sequenced, it takes time, but the initial cases were prioritized.

Are you under the impression that Denmark had 2.5k daily Omicron cases by the end of November?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

crepeface posted:

the next variant is definitely going to be less deadly he said increasingly nervously

Do you have a reference that a virus having more mutations (vs. some reference that caused a pandemic) makes it cause more severe illness

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1471828753445576709

James Garfield posted:

Do you have a reference that a virus having more mutations (vs. some reference that caused a pandemic) makes it cause more severe illness

It's worrisome for long term vaccine effectiveness, just for one thing, as it means the lynchpin of the RNA vax is a moving target.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

freebooter posted:

I don't think my country is broken at all. I think our Australia's COVID response was exemplary. This is probably why I've managed to accept that COVID-zero is impossible, because I saw first-hand what it was like to live in a place that actually gave it shot.

One of the underpinnings of China's success (again: so far) is a closed border. That's in a homogenous and authoritarian country where relatively few people travel overseas for anything other than tourism. Do you think it's a proportionate response for Australia, a country where one in three people has immediate family overseas, to keep its borders closed indefinitely?

Bearing in mind also that the COVID-zero model means you have a constant sword of Damocles over your head requiring the massive disruption of citywide lockdowns every single time it leaks in.

There are more Chinese living overseas with families still in china than the entire population of Australia. Are you suggesting that the homogeneous and authoritarian Chinese don't like visiting their families? Also I think its hilarious that even in 2022 people outside of China still think that the lock downs in there are some sort of authoritarian nightmare that's somehow onerous to the population. With a well maintained quarantine system and tracking system any outbreak is pretty easily contained and impact on the population is fairly minimal.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 17, 2021

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
E: wrong thread

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
There's basically no severity level that isn't "literally the common cold" that would not put a ton of strain on healthcare systems with the growth rates that are being observed in multiple countries right now. I honestly don't know what to think about South Africa, but for western countries, even South Africa's most optimistic data doesn't seem to work out with this being nothing, or some miracle variant that's going to give us all immunity in exchange for a couple of sneezes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Uh, I'm pretty sure starting with the millions of cases we have of delta and the hundreds of cases we have of omicron that either doubling rate would get us to it infecting every human every day before next spring.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure starting with the millions of cases we have of delta and the hundreds of cases we have of omicron that either doubling rate would get us to it infecting every human every day before next spring.

I mean, pretty clearly it's going to hit a limit and burn out relatively quickly, and also realistically the doubling rate is going to go down some even without restrictions, since people will limit their own contacts when cases / severe outcomes get high enough (although we'll probably be reading tea leaves on positivity rates since testing capacity will be overwhelmed). Either way though, it's going to infect a fuckton of people before this wave is over.

The doubling rate reported is pretty consistent everywhere it's being tracked though, there's not much reason to think it's inaccurate. We've been hovering between an Rt of 3 and 5 in Ontario, and a doubling time of 2 to 3 days. It went from 10% of cases to dominant in less than a week.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1471828753445576709

It's worrisome for long term vaccine effectiveness, just for one thing, as it means the lynchpin of the RNA vax is a moving target.

i'm glad we have a dinosaur mom and smartwatch book author here to explain covid to us foolish laymen

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
^^^^
:lmao: Exactly.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, they're posting a tweet from an account with this as their bio:

quote:

I write books about carriages, corsets, and smartwatches. Mother of dinosaurs 🦖🦕. 羽生結弦/紀平梨花 fan account. She/her. The dinosaurs are trans. I am cis.
What a valuable resource in these epidemiology-starved days of COVID.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

i like how all of the covid twitter celebrities (well, the above one is not a twitter celebrity) have handy ways to reference them like "dinosaur mom", "doritos epidemiologist", and "furry virologist".

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Main Paineframe posted:

i'm glad we have a dinosaur mom and smartwatch book author here to explain covid to us foolish laymen

It's basic math, dude.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

StratGoatCom posted:

It's basic math, dude.

The basic math is that either doubling rate infects *everyone* in such a small amount of time that it doesn't seem like it would matter for things like hospitalization, since hospitals aren't going to care if they have 100 million cases a day in a few months because a slower doubling starting with a big number or a fast doubling starting with a small number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Assuming one million cases worldwide so far, and a doubling every 2 days, it is clear that within a month Omicron will have infected 16 billion people. You can't argue with that math, guys. :smug: