Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I've enjoyed Lex Pryor's work, like this piece about the history of the yam. And certainly getting somebody like Joanna Robinson from Vanity Fair was a bit of a coup. But having said all that, yeah the ringer website is not part of my daily routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Their format buried too much on the home page (because last I was checking regularly they’d have podcast episode “articles” mixed in with actual writing), and it just got worse after the Spotify deal. It was already diet Grantland to start and only got worse.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

howe_sam posted:

I've enjoyed Lex Pryor's work, like this piece about the history of the yam. And certainly getting somebody like Joanna Robinson from Vanity Fair was a bit of a coup. But having said all that, yeah the ringer website is not part of my daily routine.

Yeah you get something like that once a month and it is nice to get a super long piece compared to infinite bachelor/ette and succession recaps

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

General Dog posted:

I think it was basically Simmons’ stated vision for the site when it started that it would be short, light articles you could scroll through while taking a poo poo. The Quibi of written content, basically.

Every single episode of the Rewatchables, Bill Simmons:. "You know...this movie could have been 15-20 minutes shorter."

L.A. destroyed his attention span as well as his morals/ethics.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Redgrendel2001 posted:

L.A. destroyed his attention span as well as his morals/ethics.

How long did he work for Jimmy Kimmel before it fell apart? He was in show business for a really short time compared to how much he talks about it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i haven't listened to much bill simmons over the past several years, but i put on one of his NFL podcasts with "cousin sal" for background noise while doing some busywork and he was complaining that a kirk cousins implosion that lost him some idiotically complicated bet made him so angry that he went to his cryochamber spa where he has a membership, lmao. Unironically wish this dude was still writing his dumbass columns.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

The X-man cometh posted:

How long did he work for Jimmy Kimmel before it fell apart? He was in show business for a really short time compared to how much he talks about it.

Less than a year according to IMDB. He started and left in 2003. In other news:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1471850936616292355

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Imagining Simmons texting Jackie Mac about, I dunno, Kevin mchale or something

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Personally I'm waiting to hear from Jabaal Abdul-Simmons, Bill Simmons's blacksona he brings out occasionally, to tell me if the Ringer is good or bad.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I was a fan of Simmons for a long time but I really would like to know what it was like having him in a real comedy writers room.

And yeah the way the ringer was built from the ground out just meant that in every respect it was a lovely Diet Grantland as previously stated. The other thing is while Grantland was grabbing a mixture of younger writers and some more established ones and really letting them do wild poo poo with long rear end word counts, The Ringer was forcing short articles and early on the most frustrating thing with the Ringer for me was me just starting to get into an article and then it would end....and I would be like, wait, why are we cutting it off now?

And its not just The Ringer but the fault of the content beast that it makes more sense for clicks/eyeballs to have 15 short articles on Game of Thrones or Succession or whatever is the thing of the moment than a 6000 word thoughtful essay on something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Jabaal is actually who wrote those Jimmy Kimmel in blackface as Karl Malone sketches.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I was a fan of Simmons for a long time but I really would like to know what it was like having him in a real comedy writers room.

And yeah the way the ringer was built from the ground out just meant that in every respect it was a lovely Diet Grantland as previously stated. The other thing is while Grantland was grabbing a mixture of younger writers and some more established ones and really letting them do wild poo poo with long rear end word counts, The Ringer was forcing short articles and early on the most frustrating thing with the Ringer for me was me just starting to get into an article and then it would end....and I would be like, wait, why are we cutting it off now?

And its not just The Ringer but the fault of the content beast that it makes more sense for clicks/eyeballs to have 15 short articles on Game of Thrones or Succession or whatever is the thing of the moment than a 6000 word thoughtful essay on something.

I’m guessing Simmons in a real-rear end writer’s room went about as well as his less-than-a-year IMDB credit would suggest.

The real issue with Ringer is that ESPN and Grantland still had money to put behind their work, so not only were writers traveling and taking time to source the articles, but they also probably still had a fuller copy edit desk there as well. The Ringer feels more like people writing into the CMS and having one person check quickly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Personally I'm waiting to hear from Jabaal Abdul-Simmons, Bill Simmons's blacksona he brings out occasionally, to tell me if the Ringer is good or bad.

"I mean sure it's good, but it doesn't compare to the 86 Celtics "

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Talks are back on between the Athletic and New York Times about a sale

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

This just makes a lot of sense to me, combine the subscription. If prices are about the same that's an easy subscription for a lot of people.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It’s like an adult with cancer adopting a child with cancer. It’s kind of sweet.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheSASBurner/status/1472777436953722882

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

whitepeoplehumor

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1473740002232262668?t=ww0SQ26stN7ofD24Y2_dOQ&s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I uh

huh

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
There is really nothing you can say or do to Darren Rovell to make him look worse than he does himself on a daily basis. Man really not only bought, but bragged about buying, an old, dead man's boner pill bottle. smgdh

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I want to know how brand twitter managed to constitute into a human being in Rovell some thirty years before twitter even existed. How does this man exist

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I want to know how brand twitter managed to constitute into a human being in Rovell some thirty years before twitter even existed. How does this man exist
he's the kwisatz #ad-erach

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Shitheads with Rovell's mindset are a dime a dozen. He just leans into it either because he's too dense to realize it makes him look like an rear end in a top hat or because he doesn't care and enjoys the attention it gets him.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The most important annual sports journalism just dropped (or more appropriately got stuck):
https://defector.com/what-did-we-get-stuck-in-our-rectums-last-year-2/

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

The most important annual sports journalism just dropped (or more appropriately got stuck):
https://defector.com/what-did-we-get-stuck-in-our-rectums-last-year-2/

All of these awful things but the worst thing I learned in that article was that there’s such thing as a “rat tail comb”

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

All of these awful things but the worst thing I learned in that article was that there’s such thing as a “rat tail comb”

Olbligatory "million to one shot, doc":
“WENT TO SIT DOWN IN THE BATHTUB AND SAT ON A PLASTIC BOTTLE OF BUBBLE BATH THAT WENT INTO HIS RECTUM”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Barstool’s bowl got cancelled and Dave Portnoy is having a day

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1475642857918803969?s=21

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1475643263713525762?s=21

Covid is gonna kill those kids but also nobody is dying from COVID

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1475618575713030144?s=21

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The guy who wrote that awful Jaycee Dugard column chimed in on Barstool Bowl getting canceled and it went about as you would expect.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Emperor Palpatine is mighty in the force.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

espn's bears reporter died

https://twitter.com/ColemanESPN/status/1475952774991032327

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently it was only two years after his wife died and in the same hospice facility. Looks like he also had a young son too :smith:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Apparently it was only two years after his wife died and in the same hospice facility. Looks like he also had a young son too :smith:

Yup. Incredibly nice guy too. Cancer sucks and feel terrible for that kid.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Godddd gently caress a cancer

https://twitter.com/dickersonespn/status/1100556611020644353?s=21

His tribute to her when she passed is just soul crushing

https://twitter.com/jacobinfante24/status/1475957491192188934?s=21

That is so unbelievably unfair, that poor kid.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 29, 2021

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
And John Madden too

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

And John Madden too

I realize what you're actually referring to, but on first blush it looks like you're saying that dude and his wife dying is unfair to John Madden and that makes me giggle.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ugh, I didn't know about Dickerson's wife passing a couple years ago and them having a pretty young kid. That's a tragedy. :ohdear:

Madden at least got his innings in, he lived a pretty great life and was undeniably one of the best coaches in the game as well as the best color commentator to ever work in any of the big North American sports. Ray Ratto at Defector had a good post on how Madden's coaching career showed exactly who he was.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wonder if a lot of kids are just today learning who the game was named for

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1476912949428170752

"Whatever you think of Ben Roethlisberger personally" is doing more heavy lifting than a worlds strongest man competition, Jesus loving christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Is it possible that this person just hates the Steelers? Because "[Ben Roethlisberger] embodied the ethos of what that club fancies itself to be" is some extreme shade