Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

site posted:

i would say the cosmology presented by Hickman himself previously, and by Al Ewing in his works is the largest barrier, as this version of the multiverse is the 8th in existence, and we know for a fact the 7th was the pre-secret wars multiverse. Which means either they're wrong or Moira doesn't have the effect she think she does if she's died 9 times

This good rebuttal to my comment is particularly embarrassing to me as I read an issue of Ewing's Defenders just last night!

Though I think there's an argument to be made that the 7th and 8th multiverse are functionally the same thing. And any distinction between them throws every pre-SW future-based story out the window.

Were Moira deaths pre-SW affecting 7th or 8th multiverse, or both? Were the ones that happen in the future (and therefore post-SW) part of the 8th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
When rebuilding the universe, Franklin remembered Moria as having some time reset power. This is because she played peek-a-boo with him once when he was a toddler when Reed Richards took Franklin to her for a second opinion on some mutant thing during a weird period of humility. Reed had been careful never to play this game with Franklin but he forgot to warn Moria. Not that we know that it would have stopped her since dealing children with frighting reality altering powers in the safest way possible has never been her jam but whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Much like the last time he did something like this, he didn't remember Hawkeye being deaf, Franklin just assumed Moira was a mutant because everyone who hung around her was a mutant.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
To balance things out, Franklin had to give Moira his X -gene.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

danbanana posted:

This good rebuttal to my comment is particularly embarrassing to me as I read an issue of Ewing's Defenders just last night!

Though I think there's an argument to be made that the 7th and 8th multiverse are functionally the same thing. And any distinction between them throws every pre-SW future-based story out the window.

Were Moira deaths pre-SW affecting 7th or 8th multiverse, or both? Were the ones that happen in the future (and therefore post-SW) part of the 8th?

i mean, you are correct in the first point in that the conceit with the secret wars finale was that the 7th and 8th multiverses are functionally the same, so that all the non-sw marvel books stayed on track

but what I'm trying to get at is that i don't think that matters because Moira isn't actually destroying any multiverse upon her death, but instead seems to be creating new alternate timeline branches within a multiverse at the point of her conception/resurrection, despite what we're being told

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

site posted:

but what I'm trying to get at is that i don't think that matters because Moira isn't actually destroying any multiverse upon her death, but instead seems to be creating new alternate timeline branches within a multiverse at the point of her conception/resurrection, despite what we're being told

I certainly feel like that's what they will eventually go (see: Age of Apocalypse, which originally was created/destroyed in a way that made it something other than an alternate universe but was brought back because $$$), but on-page text at this point is suggesting that as of now, Moira dying resets everything and therefore the previous life is gone.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Hey, they finally let Rachel Summers kiss a girl (on the cheek)

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
What is Betsy now? Telapathic? Telekinetic? Both? Hard to keep track of .

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Her psyblade is the focused totality of her psychic powers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She gives no quarter, and asks none

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

nunsexmonkrock posted:

What is Betsy now? Telapathic? Telekinetic? Both? Hard to keep track of .

I think telepathic with psyblade, along with whatever magical upgrades come along with being Captain Britain. Not reading Excalibur though, so I'm likely off.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
She was using a psyblade sword thing until she got her magical upgrade weapon. I'm overall a bit "meh" on Excalibur, loved the cast though. Hoping the follow up is something I'll enjoy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've been digging Excalibur for it's entire run. I agree that it's confusing and I often don't fully understand what's happening, but every issue has something that's really loving cool, even without really knowing what's happening.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I have been reading Excalibur but I was having a hard time figuring out if her sword was telekinetic or not. I really enjoy Excalibur :)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It was one of my favorites of this first big batch of Krakoa-era comics, although a lot of that was Marcus To. I think Howard has some storytelling... quirks... that were maybe a little more glaring in X-Corp but the overall story has had enough cool twists and turns to keep me onboard and interested. Also the set-up for Knights of X is both a really cool new direction and something that feels like an organic culmination of the previous issues so I'm very excited.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It was a largely gobbledygook series to me. Most of it felt like, here's a bunch of people who keep telling Betsy that she's wrong about stuff and then her going gently caress YOU! I'M RIGHT! I'M CAPTAIN BRITAIN! except it's never actually clear why exactly she's right in any given situation. I think it's because she's Captain Britain? Details unclear.

Other than Julio sometimes, the cast was completely wasted. Right up to the end they were trying to figure out how to make Jubilee matter at all on the team; she really should have been placed on a different book during this whole run. Hell, Rogue left halfway through to be on the X-Men and it made absolutely no palpable difference to anything.

I did like the one good issue where Betsy and Kwannon worked through some stuff. There were actually some coherent characterizations there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gologle posted:

Her psyblade is the focused totality of her psychic powers.

Pfft yeah right. Next you'll tell me Cannonball is nigh invulnerable when he's blastin'.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bub, he's the best at what he do when the sum totality of her psychic power is neigh invulnerable when she's blasting, sugah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Apparently Sam actually never said that exact line under Claremont. First time he phrases it like that was in Ewing's Avengers

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

"An' don't be scared. Ah'm pretty near invulnerable when ah'm blastin'" is the original line.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Sinister, after creating a Psylocke-Cannonball-Gambit chimera: "JFC this thing is annoying"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

danbanana posted:

Sinister, after creating a Psylocke-Cannonball-Gambit chimera: "JFC this thing is annoying"

*looks at MVC storm going HURRRGH HURRGHH HURRRGH in the corner*

"Eh, could be worse"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

*looks at MVC storm going HURRRGH HURRGHH HURRRGH in the corner*

"Eh, could be worse"

It's the only ASMR loop that gets Justin Wong to sleep on time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Lolwtf

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1471875013145935874?t=_xEphLlzm03thEHNOMdJxw&s=19

I'm in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's a loving 8 million long wait list for resurrection protocols, how the gently caress does Cassandra Nova get to skip the list, since she's the loving one responsible for it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Is she even a mutant?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are writers still totally missing the point that Ernst is Cassandra Nova?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Endless Mike posted:

Unfortunately that got forgotten right after Morrison left.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I wouldn't bet money on it, but I also wouldn't be shocked if Steve Orlando actually addresses the Cassandra Nova / Ernst thing in Marauders. He hasn't done much Marvel work, but his DC work pulled out a lot of largely forgotten characters, with a significant swath of them being Morrison creations -- Half-Beard and the Subway Pirates, Aztek, Prometheus, probably some others I'm forgetting.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Skwirl posted:

There's a loving 8 million long wait list for resurrection protocols, how the gently caress does Cassandra Nova get to skip the list, since she's the loving one responsible for it.

After Apocalypse and Selene on the team nobody is beyond redemption

What was Cassandra Nova return like in the era before Krakoa?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

fatherboxx posted:

She was the bad guy in Red, which was good.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

I wouldn't bet money on it, but I also wouldn't be shocked if Steve Orlando actually addresses the Cassandra Nova / Ernst thing in Marauders. He hasn't done much Marvel work, but his DC work pulled out a lot of largely forgotten characters, with a significant swath of them being Morrison creations -- Half-Beard and the Subway Pirates, Aztek, Prometheus, probably some others I'm forgetting.

That's what I was figuring. She looks pretty Ernst in that image.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

didn't that get retconned?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really need to re-read the Morrison run. I read it entirely in graphic novels in a Barnes and Nobels and I think a lot of it has faded.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Magneto & Emma Frost are going to be thrilled.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

After Apocalypse and Selene on the team nobody is beyond redemption

She literally killed 8 million mutants on Genosha.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sloth Life posted:

Magneto & Emma Frost are going to be thrilled.

Are you suggesting that Erik isn't the kind of person to forgive a genocide?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah, his Wonder Woman run brought in a new version of Aztek as well as pulling together a bunch of different attempts at 'evil mirror' characters of Diana from other runs of various ages, and also Gundra the Valkyrie, and the obscure Bronze Age character Orana who was kind of a prototype of Artemis. (He's also the only writer other than Rucka who calls the Lasso 'the Golden Perfect')

Dude reminds me a bit of Dan Slott where he seems to want to show off how many deep cuts he can remember and patch them all into a narrative.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Skwirl posted:

Well, it probably helps that she never actually died.

danbanana posted:

Is she even a mutant?
This is the bigger issue for me, I have no idea how Orlando’s gonna work around this. The idea of her referring to mutants as “our kind” is………off.

Beerdeer posted:

Unfortunately that got forgotten right after Morrison left.
Yeah unfortunately we’re way past the point where that would still make sense, as it originally did. Both Ernst and Nova have appeared in way too many things at this point to still be the same character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Is she still the twin that Xavier ate in the womb, or is my memory of that a fever dream