Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We've spent the last few months in a neverending peak which I didn't even know was possible, I'm not sure I'm down for an even bigger neverending peak.

Looks like we're getting that 100k by Christmas, just like SAGE foretold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I genuinely feel kinda bad because my mum and dad obviously really want the experience of being grandparents but neither me or my brother are remotely interested in having kids.

I can't imagine something more stressful than having to live with a fragile creature that I am fully responsible for and which also uses up all my money and free time and sleep while apparently on an endless mission to find new and exciting ways to put itself in mortal danger

OP its like Toxoplasmosis. Once you get one, you'll never look at kids the same way again.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

well done that woman

keep punching joe posted:

Lol Sturgeon just shredded some Daily Mail reporter on TV.

https://twitter.com/JamesAithie/status/1471831463599431684

why the scottish parliament has gaelic but not scots translation

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Because Scots isn't a real language lol

:can:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the NI assembly has ulster scots alongside irish so you get a translation in a different language and comical looking stuff like weemins bogs or whey oot or w/e as well

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I can't imagine something more stressful than having to live with a fragile creature that I am fully responsible for and which also uses up all my money and free time and sleep while apparently on an endless mission to find new and exciting ways to put itself in mortal danger

I feel like a cat is a good alternative to this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

comical looking stuff like weemins bogs

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

crispix posted:

well done that woman

why the scottish parliament has gaelic but not scots translation

Gaelic language act 2005 gives Gaelic the same status as English in the Scottish public sector, there has been no equivalent language act to cover Scots/Doric etc. The SNP could try and legislate for it but it would just cause more unhinged wailing from unionists.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

Huh, Omicron must be decent at getting by vaccines then

I don't mean to be rude or nothing, but how is this news to you? It was pretty much the first thing we knew about the variant.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What would Scottish Government be in Scots? Scottish Government sounds what it'd be.

Found this which is funny, Scots dictionary entry for the meaning of Gove

To stare vacantly or stupidly

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

more unhinged wailing from unionists.
It's not like that's a scarce resource that must be protected lest it run out.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Barry Foster posted:

I don't mean to be rude or nothing, but how is this news to you? It was pretty much the first thing we knew about the variant.

We always knew it was better at getting past the vaccines than the other variants but there's a big difference between 'vaccines are 50% effective' and 'omicron laughs at your completely useless injections'. It's pretty impressive that the numbers suggest it's closer to the latter when it comes to preventing infection.

That said it's what happens once you're infected that matters. If vaccines still largely prevent serious illness with omicron, things may not be as dire as the raw figures imply. I guess we'll know in a couple of weeks.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

What would Scottish Government be in Scots? Scottish Government sounds what it'd be.

Ask that American guy who made up about 75% of all Scots on the internet by writing most of Scots Wikipedia.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Congrats to all the child havers but honestly I personally can't imagine a worse hell and I don't understand at all how parents do it much less seem to enjoy it

Let's be honest here - if all parents of one week old babies were asked the following question:

Have you made an enormous mistake?
a) yes
b) yes

I suspect the answer would be yes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Gaelic language act 2005 gives Gaelic the same status as English in the Scottish public sector, there has been no equivalent language act to cover Scots/Doric etc. The SNP could try and legislate for it but it would just cause more unhinged wailing from unionists.

ulster scots is seen very much as a unionist thing here, my thinking was why aren't the scottish unionists complaining there's no scots behind nucula :shucks:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
funny old world

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

crispix posted:

ulster scots is seen very much as a unionist thing here, my thinking was why aren't the scottish unionists complaining there's no scots behind nucula :shucks:

Scottish unionists are people who think Scots is a dialect and a dialect that needs to be stamped out at that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Scots is v fake and I blame Irvine Welsh

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Because Scots isn't a real language lol

:can:

Be careful, you might set off the DUP again.

Who am i kidding, just breathing sets those gobshites off. :barf:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Really though you can't just write English phonetically with a heavy accent and a bunch of dialect words then get indignant when people suggest it might not be a distinct language in its own right.

Even wildly different dialects of Chinese that aren't even mutually intelligible are considered dialects in China not independent languages.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

crispix posted:

Ah because Scottish unionism since 2014 is becoming more about the total eradication of all differences between Scotland/England. Devolution is attacked, language is attacked, basically any divergence from England is seen as an existential threat. NI unionism at least seems to have some confidence in itself and is comfortable with its own cultural identity.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Really though you can't just write English phonetically with a heavy accent and a bunch of dialect words then get indignant when people suggest it might not be a distinct language in its own right.

Even wildly different dialects of Chinese that aren't even mutually intelligible are considered dialects in China not independent languages.

China Is a pretty iffy example as far as treatment of minority groups

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NI unionism at least seems to have some confidence in itself and is comfortable with its own cultural identity.

They have:
- hitting the Big Drum
- sash and bowler
- bonfire
- hating the Taigs

Why would you ever need anything else

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You forgot

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

China Is a pretty iffy example as far as treatment of minority groups

I'm talking purely about the way dialects of Chinese are understood, not the different languages spoken by minority non-Han ethnic groups.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Number go up

Population go down.

That's not my department

Says Boris Van Braun.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ThirteenXTwelve/status/1471882551723765771?s=19

14 years for protesting

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

You forgot

treayactur

lool i went back to the post and

Failed Imagineer posted:

- hitting the Big Drum

interesting to see the saltire still used as a unionist symbol in NI too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAa4xPkk2Pw&t=12s

crispix fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 17, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

This seems fine

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/status/1471869787169083408?t=mRE02eyyqQOzj_r6I605vg&s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

interesting to see the saltire still used as a unionist symbol in NI too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAa4xPkk2Pw&t=12s

You can't just point at everything you don't like and claim you won't surrender to it.

When you die you can try pointing at the reaper and he's not gonna listen mate.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i can't get my head around all those people carrying lib dem placards, like what are they excited about

what are they for :/

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Time to invest in a new jumper I think

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ThomasPaine posted:

"A language is a dialect with an army and a navy", as they say. There are plenty of supposedly distinct languages that are really no less similar to one another than Geordie and Janner are, but for historical and political reasons they are not treated as dialects. Danish and Norwegian spring to mind, although I hope no Norwegians read me saying that. And there are other examples of dialects that might as well be separate languages. A person speaking Schweizerdeutsch will get subtitles on German TV because it is so unintelligible, while someone speaking Bayerisch often won't even though it can be just as hard to understand for other German speakers. There is some disagreement as to whether either of the two are languages or dialects.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's plenty of parts of the UK where you can't loving understand a word they say, certainly sounds like another language to me. If you need points for originality then english isn't a loving language either cos it's just a katamari of loanwords and bad spelling.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sounds like an utter prick. Rioting under coke is not a protected right anywhere, fyi.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Simon Case has just resigned from heading the investigation into the illegal parties on account of attending an illegal party himself.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

big scary monsters posted:

"A language is a dialect with an army and a navy", as they say. There are plenty of supposedly distinct languages that are really no less similar to one another than Geordie and Janner are, but for historical and political reasons they are not treated as dialects. Danish and Norwegian spring to mind, although I hope no Norwegians read me saying that. And there are other examples of dialects that might as well be separate languages. A person speaking Schweizerdeutsch will get subtitles on German TV because it is so unintelligible, while someone speaking Bayerisch often won't even though it can be just as hard to understand for other German speakers. There is some disagreement as to whether either of the two are languages or dialects.

I remember trying to explain to Arab friends (that have never travelled to UK) that Welsh is not simply a dialect of English. You have to basically show them Urdu (which uses Arabic script) and point out that just because the same set of letters is used doesn't mean it's basically the same language with a funny accent. (Mind you, most of them even if they have heard of Wales think it's a small town in England.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Rioting under coke is not a protected right anywhere, fyi.

I think the world would be better if it was, personally.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Sounds like an utter prick. Rioting under coke is not a protected right anywhere, fyi.

Oh give over if you think protesting - even violent drug fuelled protesting - deserves 14 years inside. It's insane overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

gently caress this noise