Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Depends. Who are we calling the central cast here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
generously, it's Class 1A as a whole

even if you narrow it down to Midoriya/Bakugo/Todoroki, that still leaves you with two characters and one plank of wood with a two-tone haircut

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Oxxidation posted:

generously, it's Class 1A as a whole

even if you narrow it down to Midoriya/Bakugo/Todoroki, that still leaves you with two characters and one plank of wood with a two-tone haircut

“I’m not a plank of wood. I’m a human being.”:geno:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Class 1A as a whole is a way too generous definition of central cast IMO. A good portion of them are jobbers that have never been more than the fringes of the center. All Might, Endeavor, and the core League of Villains members are inarguably more central than at least half of the 1A cast.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

The Bee posted:

Class 1A as a whole is a way too generous definition of central cast IMO. A good portion of them are jobbers that have never been more than the fringes of the center. All Might, Endeavor, and the core League of Villains members are inarguably more central than at least half of the 1A cast.

then you'd agree that the recent framing with them altogether vowing to stop AFO is ridiculous

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

christmas boots posted:

“I’m not a plank of wood. I’m a human being.”:geno:

"My name is not Five Weenies." :geno:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I wonder what's Aizawa's plan? I wonder if it'll have something to do with Kurogiri/Shirakumo? Maybe Deku lets himself be captured so he can find All For One's base and then have the rest of the class/heroes teleported there?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The majority of 1-A have always been side or even background characters. I'm not sure why anyone expected them to be anything else at this point.

I haven't read/watched a ton of Shonen, but I'd say Horikoshi has handled the cast reasonably well. Most other ones I've read/watched just have the side cast disappear for arcs at a time, at least 1-A is allowed to get pagetime and be characters. There isn't a way to have an entire class of characters and give all of them meaningful screentime without doubling the manga's length. Though I guess we'll have to see how they're handled in the final arc. I really hated Naruto and Bleach forcing every character to have a long, padded fight in their 'war' arcs.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 17, 2021

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Nephthys posted:

I really hated Naruto and Bleach forcing every character to have a long, padded fight in their 'war' arcs.

Naruto actually had so many characters that they off-paneled a bunch of important fights and let the anime fill them in.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
He should just skip to the final battle and get it over with

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
All for One has shown himself to be such a petty and underhanded rear end in a top hat that I can’t see how this doesn’t end with Aoyama exploding

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

TheHan posted:

All for One has shown himself to be such a petty and underhanded rear end in a top hat that I can’t see how this doesn’t end with Aoyama exploding

He just makes his pooping problem even worse

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Funky Valentine posted:

"My name is not Five Weenies." :geno:

“If I smile… they’ll die?”

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Thoren posted:

Naruto actually had so many characters that they off-paneled a bunch of important fights and let the anime fill them in.

Geez, and it still equates to a third of the whole series. GodDAMN.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the whole thing is just not well-constructed. you're right insofar this is probably about the best a middling plot could be done

I hope it backfires on them, with someone in 1B overhearing that Aoyama is the traitor and that it's likely to be covered up. 1B almost died during the forest raid.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FireWorksWell posted:

I hope it backfires on them, with someone in 1B overhearing that Aoyama is the traitor and that it's likely to be covered up. 1B almost died during the forest raid.

Watch it be Monoma and the villains don't take him seriously because...well, it's Monoma

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

this didn't seem particularly abrupt to me? I'm not sure how many chapters you want to spend on everyone reacting and then the obvious idea to have Aoyama feed info to AFO.

It doesn't need to be multiple chapters, or even one. It could be measured in pages and still be enough if done correctly. Measured in panels, on the other hand...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
OTOH All for One was probably counting on this tearing everyone apart if they ever found out, so that not only does it not but that 1-A doesn't even have to seriously agonize over it, will probably help their gambit be successful and also suggests that he doesn't really understand the people he's fighting--and ultimately why he'll lose

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Nephthys posted:

The majority of 1-A have always been side or even background characters. I'm not sure why anyone expected them to be anything else at this point.

I haven't read/watched a ton of Shonen, but I'd say Horikoshi has handled the cast reasonably well. Most other ones I've read/watched just have the side cast disappear for arcs at a time, at least 1-A is allowed to get pagetime and be characters. There isn't a way to have an entire class of characters and give all of them meaningful screentime without doubling the manga's length. Though I guess we'll have to see how they're handled in the final arc. I really hated Naruto and Bleach forcing every character to have a long, padded fight in their 'war' arcs.

Even then, a lot of characters still ended up getting sidelined anyway. Shino had one cool fight pre-time skip then did nothing but dress like the unibomber afterwards, Neji existed entirely in part two to be a heroic sacrifice, they replayed Choiji's character arc again almost beat for beat except now it had none of the emotion or pathos attached to it, and Tenten's most enduring legacy was that one thread title about there always being Chakra in the Bananafan.

All of this so we could run around more with Sasuke and his group of weiners.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

This is about as good as this could’ve gone, considering how quick he’s pushing through the non-fight stuff. It lacks emotional depth or punch but it’s not as bad as the last couple of things.

It’s a whole lotta ho-hum for me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm still liking all of this because it's moving along. Star and Stripes is whatever to me but I'm for anything that doesn't turn this into the Bleach or Naruto endgame

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

mha wishes it could pull off the ending of naruto

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aurora posted:

mha wishes it could pull off the ending of naruto

Naruto wishes it could pull off the ending of Naruto

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The ending of Boruto will reveal that everyone is still inside of the Infinite Tsukuyomi, Kishimoto is just spinning the wheels until he can think of a better ending for Naruto.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

FireWorksWell posted:

The ending of Boruto will reveal that everyone is still inside of the Infinite Tsukuyomi, Kishimoto is just spinning the wheels until he can think of a better ending for Naruto.

i'll take it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Naruto's ending was fine, better than a lot of the stuff that immediately preceded it.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

The best thing Naruto did was end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Naruto's ending was fine, the fight with sasuke is legit one of the best moments to come out of the Big 3.

The only improvement I'd make is that the reverse harem jutsu should have actually been the attack that won the fight against whatsherface.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The problem with Naruto's ending is the stuff before it.

Why do battle shonens love these war arcs that go on forever?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

page 1 cannot stop giggling that pointing out that he's tied up is the very first fuckign thing i can't fuckign read rn im laughign too hard
love this manga

that is one of the final pages of all time. OF ALL TIME.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 17, 2021

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's an easy escalation of the existing format and, as a writer, things you put down on the page sometimes get out of hand.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

GruntMountain posted:

It's an easy escalation of the existing format and, as a writer, things you put down on the page sometimes get out of hand.

Plus it gives you the opportunity to give fan favorites one last chance to strut their stuff without it all being a part of the final fight with the villain

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why is Mei explosion proof

How is Mei explosion proof now

Electric Phantasm posted:

Dawg have you ever played a single Dynasty Warriors game or watched the second Lord of the Rings movie?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
nothing like ending another bad mini-arc with garbage 80s ecchi ‘You fell into my boobies!!’ gags

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Frankly I'm just glad traitor chat is dead forever.

Aside from that laughed at the first page, laughed at the last page, weird to me that Deku has to be like "oh yeah my whole outfit is trashed" you'd think someone would be on top of fixing that for the most important person in their whole force but I guess he might be getting a (final?) gear upgrade.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Shere posted:

Aside from that laughed at the first page, laughed at the last page, weird to me that Deku has to be like "oh yeah my whole outfit is trashed" you'd think someone would be on top of fixing that for the most important person in their whole force but I guess he might be getting a (final?) gear upgrade.

How much time has passed since Deku came back to the school? A day or two? Probably haven't had enough time to think about it. Though, knowing Mei, she's probably already started working on it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shere posted:

In a way it's incredibly hilarious that this plot point, which consumed discussions for years and had dozens of fan theories spun around it, is revealed and resolved within a three chapter wet fart.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Why is Mei explosion proof

How is Mei explosion proof now

It's like Iocane powder. Mei's had enough exposure to explosions to build up an immunity.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

She's got padding to dampen the force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Can we not make jokes about teenager's boobs please?