Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He didn't have an asterisk. :colbert: (e: good username for the observation, though!)

It is kind of amazing that McCain is the only dead person on the list. Plenty of good dead people have hosted SNL, like Phil Hartman, Brittany Murphy and Chadwick Boseman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I feel like its kind of unkind to include Paris Hilton in the lists of profoundly vapid 'celebrities'. According to various sources, she was a fairly normal kid who loved animals and outdoors life, who was sent to an abusive 'correctional facility' for insufficiently Christian children.
She inherited a decent sum from her shitbag grandpa which she parlayed into an enormous fortune. She's one of the few who got Vietnamese potbellied pigs back in the day who actually took care of them when they grew up and got big and difficult.
Basically, she plays a shallow Gobshite character 'Paris Hilton' but is actually a perfectly competent person otherwise.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

<<<< Come on Chief, this isn’t no boy scout picnic. This is SNL! See ya’ got ya’ rubbers!

*watches 1984-1985 season*
That's not funny, that's not funny at all

Mellow Seas posted:

He didn't have an asterisk. :colbert: (e: good username for the observation, though!)

It is kind of amazing that McCain is the only dead person on the list. Plenty of good dead people have hosted SNL, like Phil Hartman, Brittany Murphy and Chadwick Boseman.

The main thing I remember about McCain's episode was that it wasn't very long after 9/11 and one sketch had him playing John Ashcroft and talking about the Islamic documentary he had just watched called 'Kazaam'. He hadn't gone full fuckhead yet.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The main thing I remember about McCain's episode was that it wasn't very long after 9/11 and one sketch had him playing John Ashcroft and talking about the Islamic documentary he had just watched called 'Kazaam'. He hadn't gone full fuckhead yet.

Losing the primary to Bush taught McCain that he had to dial the insanity up a lot. Then Palin happened and he died from brain cancer. All of that may be related.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Steven Seagal was mentioned, I am obligated to link this tweet.

https://twitter.com/thespite/status/913166544762494976

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dr Christmas posted:

Is this the place where we talk about Elon Musk being Time's person of the year?

I've seen lots of people bring up Hitler or Trump as a bad person who nonetheless made a huge impact on the world, but I don't think Elon Musk fits that criteria either? Even when just looking at rich shitheads worming their way into our lives and making everything worse, Bezos or Bill Gates are more influential. Musk is, intermittingly, the richest man on Earth, but his businesses don't really affect our lives in the way the others' do. If the case was that Elon Musk's particular brand of stupid, annoying, and vacuous self-aggrandizement makes him the best figurehead for his rich shithead brethren, maybe that would be reasonable.

It always feels like a bit of a cop-out when they do something like name "vaccine researchers" or something rather than an individual as Person of the Year, so I guess this this'll teach me to be careful what I wish for.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

There is also a special Muskrat thread if you want to read too many posts about the topic.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862673

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nenonen posted:

There is also a special Muskrat thread if you want to read too many posts about the topic.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862673

He also comes up a lot in the tech nightmares thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763277&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Imagine being the type of person who has followers that put your image on knives.
e: And buttplugs/dildos.

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1470855756450779136

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mellow Seas posted:

Mel Gibson* (seems to stick around no matter what, it's crazy)

Gibson still gets work because he keeps his bullshit off the set. Contrast Segal who is one of the most notorious prima-donnas in Hollywood and frequent Gibson collaborator Jim Caviezel who is literally and unironically a danger to himself and others

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

OgNar posted:

Imagine being the type of person who has followers that put your image on knives.
e: And buttplugs/dildos.

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1470855756450779136

She looks like one of those computer generated photo people.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

DarklyDreaming posted:

Contrast Segal who is one of the most notorious prima-donnas in Hollywood and frequent Gibson collaborator Jim Caviezel who is literally and unironically a danger to himself and others

It's weird...

My dad told me a story about his experiences in Toronto in the early 00's when he was basically homeless. Now, I suppose he could have made it up, or he misremembered, or changed details, but my dad never struck me as a deliberate liar, at worst he'd be mistaken or misremember. Anyway, he managed to walk onto two movie sets because they failed to completely seal them up, and one of them was Exit Wounds.

According to my dad, he didn't think anything was amiss because all the cameras and people were concealed in a building, and due to that my dad walked right through a live take of the film. He apparently saw Steve, and said "Hi Steve." in a sort of general firm tone, and Seagal responded with "How are you sir?" and my dad walked on.

It really clashes with the concept that Seagal is so up his own rear end he's a living mobius strip that he'd be so laid back about some random person walking into a live take of the film he was currently filming, but who knows? Maybe he was in a real good mood that morning. Maybe he had smoked a shitton of weed. I don't know, it was just a story he told me and my dad wasn't the type to make poo poo up wholesale. Whether it happened as he said, who knows? I just find the ideafunny that while Seagal is an utter prick to virtually everyone he was polite to my dad and took him walking into a take on his film in stride.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/14/media/hannity-ingraham-mark-meadows-reliable-sources/index.html

quote:

For most of the day, Fox News had largely ignored the texts, which were made public the night before. Which is to say, it took Fox News more than 24 hours to muster up a real response.
So how did Hannity and Ingraham react after having all that time to carefully prepare? Well, predictably.

First, both Hannity and Ingraham went on the offense and assailed the press. Hannity complained that "nobody" in the media reached out to him, even though plenty of reporters did reach out to Fox News' public relations department and were given no comment. Ingraham asserted that the "regime media" had "twisted" the meaning of her text message to advance a dishonest narrative.

While Hannity didn't even entertain the notion that Trump might have had some responsibility to bear, he demanded an investigation of Nancy Pelosi. Meanwhile, Hannity and Ingraham attacked Liz Cheney, with Hannity repeatedly calling for all of her communications to be released to the public.

Whole thing is worth a read

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Wait whay did Caviezal do? I know he's got that nutty turbo-Christian thing going on--he apparently won't do nude scenes at all, he insists on having some article of clothing on--but what else has he done?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Astrofig posted:

Wait whay did Caviezal do? I know he's got that nutty turbo-Christian thing going on--he apparently won't do nude scenes at all, he insists on having some article of clothing on--but what else has he done?

He's a Q guy and speaks at such events.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Astrofig posted:

By the end of Person Of Interest his character was almost fully replaced by a stunt-double in a ski-mask because he'd take every action scene as a license to hurt everyone around him including himself. And yeah, more recently he's gotten into Q poo poo

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DarklyDreaming posted:

By the end of Person Of Interest his character was almost fully replaced by a stunt-double in a ski-mask because he'd take every action scene as a license to hurt everyone around him including himself.

...did he forget that it's not real and just a TV show?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

By the end of Person Of Interest his character was almost fully replaced by a stunt-double in a ski-mask because he'd take every action scene as a license to hurt everyone around him including himself. And yeah, more recently he's gotten into Q poo poo

His character was the least interesting part of Person of Interest. That stupid whisper talk thing he did across the whole series was insufferable. The show was great in spite of him.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Astrofig posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ehananoki/status/1383419877881303045

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

...did he forget that it's not real and just a TV show?

IF he learned this, he forgot it while filming The Passion of the Christ

Classtoise posted:

Mel Gibson: If I shouldn't make this movie, let God strike me down!

Caviezel and Michelini are struck

Mel: Well I said me, so we're doin' it.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 16, 2021

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Only the future will tell how this is going to work out, but when I spoke to my Mom on Monday I managed to cut through an awful lot of bullshit. I accepted any and all help of getting therapy. I also batted down a lot of horseshit in a way that I wasn't even aware I had been so prepared for. I'm going to share the best examples that brought the attacks to a stop, and contemplate the mindset I was dealing with. This is gonna be different for everybody, as it depends on the number and kind of worms may be present.

The best part was early on, when she accused me of "changing" early this year. I just busted out laughing. "Really? You think? Gee! I wonder, Mom. Can you think of anything, anything at all, that might have occurred let's say sometime in January, that got me shook as gently caress?"

In the end the main issue seemed to be dealing with accusations of being awful due to bringing up the cursed subject of politics. What, are we just going to have no relationship because I don't agree with you on everything? Typical martyrdom/deflection, I didn't humor it at all. I said as long as the guy who lost the election still has a chance of taking power back and ending our democratic republic once and for all, you all are going to have to confront this with me. You have stifled my opinions for six years.

The major pushback here was really just another form of deflection from the main issue: Well what am I supposed to do about any of that? She was very insistent that I provide a solid plan for how this is supposed to go.

I just ignored that line of question and went socratic. Well, how do you expect someone to react to news like this in an environment where their own family refuse to allow any such talk. Why is that? Is your peace of mind worth my sanity? When the animals are cornered and lash out, do I want to arm myself down here alone or do I want to know that you guys are with me.

Just to really find out where she stood, I talked her through the Iran hostage crisis, to Reagan, to the Iran/Contra deal. I asked her if they were at all aware of the Watergate hearings and who did they root for? Nixon??

At that point she told me my problem is I am too smart for my own good. Is that a compliment?

But I told her it is local elections, school boards, election boards, where we need to root out the people who are only running on the lie that Trump lost, because they will be the ones overturning the 2022 mid-terms and the 2024 elections.

At one point she mentioned George Soros and I told her I need like ten minutes to lay that nonsense to rest and I'm ready when she is.

She said she only watches Fox and Friends. So I am going to find out how she feels about Brian Kilmeade knowing all about Trump attempting a coup and texting Mark Meadows to tell Trump to stop.

And to drop a fat cherry on this: I suspected Dad was losing it but they kept me in the dark with the help of the pandemic. My father indeed has advanced dementia. He got lost last week trying to drive to the hardware store. He can't remember we are off DST. I've never felt more conflicted in my life because, like my sister, I hate the man. and yet I love him too. And I am weeping for what this is going to put Mom through. This sort of death is too nice for him, and now he gets to go to the end of his life dominating our lives.

Ok that was a lot. Fact is, Mom and I are back on good terms and somehow that was almost enough.

Mark Meadows has willingly provided the rest. I feel a LOT better today.

Thank you for being there for me and not roasting me to death during my bout of mania. I literally could not think of much else. Now I can.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Been following you, good doctor, and I hope you feel better. Those kinds of dialogues can be hard and not very fruitful, but when people are talking who care about each other, sometimes everyone takes a second to think about their audience. Not going to lie, if the frustration is all consuming, therapy may be effective. Couldn't hurt to try, I guess. I find talking with my family who disagree with me easier over email. We can discuss difficult things, even emotionally, and not have to instantly react. Gives you time to build arguments and link sources if that makes your feel better.

You might like this politics is personal thread as group therapy:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938820&pagenumber=9&perpage=40

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 16, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

That didn't take long

Fox News Hosts Are Pretty Mad About Their Jan. 6 Texts Being Released

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4aw3ym/fox-news-sean-hannity-laura-ingraham-mad-jan-6-text-messages

Laura Ingraham posted:

During her show Tuesday, Ingraham complained about “left-wing media hacks” at “regime media” such as CNN and the Washington Post attempting to “defame” her, and said Cheney and Rep. Adam Kinzinger, the only other GOP member of the committee, would become contributors at liberal network MSNBC after they left office.

Sean Hannity posted:

In his monologue, Hannity called himself an “honest, straightforward person” and said the release of the text messages was a “weak attempt” by Cheney “to smear yours truly and, presumably, President Trump.”

Hannity also complained about an invasion of privacy. “Where is the outrage in the media over my private text messages being released again publicly?” he said, ostensibly referring to text messages between himself and former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort which were unsealed by a federal judge in 2019.

“Do we believe in privacy in this country?” Hannity asked. “Apparently not.” He then demanded to see Liz Cheney’s whole family’s texts about Scooter Libby.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Had to go to Danville today for an errand and saw someone flying a Let's Go Brandon flag. Apparently Glenn Beck is also selling Let's Go Brandon socks on his site, complete with a pooping butt on them (in honor of Biden's visit to the Pope, you see).

Anyway today on Clay and Travis was a shitload of transphobia. Apparently there's something about a trans woman swimmer at the University of Pennsylvania? They're claiming that nobody in the mainstream media is reporting about it, even saying that ESPN is remaining completely silent on it despite their claim that there is an intersection between sports and politics (using C&B's phrasing there). Which, if ESPN is being silent on it, is indeed pretty hosed up, because they should be completely supportive of trans rights.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mr Burns: Look, Smithers. Brandon is coming!

Homer: He'll know what to do

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ILL Machina posted:

Been following you, good doctor, and I hope you feel better. Those kinds of dialogues can be hard and not very fruitful, but when people are talking who care about each other, sometimes everyone takes a second to think about their audience. Not going to lie, if the frustration is all consuming, therapy may be effective. Couldn't hurt to try, I guess. I find talking with my family who disagree with me easier over email. We can discuss difficult things, even emotionally, and not have to instantly react. Gives you time to build arguments and link sources if that makes your feel better.

You might like this politics is personal thread as group therapy:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938820&pagenumber=9&perpage=40
Can confirm: My gf has been in contact with her since. Apparently she feels as much better as I do. She now has expressed the regret that it did not happen sooner. I do believe that was sincere.

And I am really breathing a lot more easily. The speed with which the 1/6 Cmte is dropping straight nukes tells me it's going to start hitting the CHUDs in the feels pretty soon, and the worst of them are very armed and very dangerous. I can live with that, now. Even the most cynical of you validated my concerns and this was precisely what I needed. In the meantime I gots benzos and prozac to keep my blood from gettin angried-up. Best part, during all of this I did not drink. I really really wanted to.

I have you all to thank, so please accept them as I am most grateful.

I wish I had known of that tread before, I would have probably taken all of this there. I still think it's on-topic because I am 100% convinced what I just experienced is a) one of the better outcomes out there and b) has been simmering ever since RWM really exploded, which I wan to credit to Rush but I haven't studied any of it. I think Rush is actually where my Dad got his daily dose of talking points.

I'll work out the rest of my recovery with you folks over in the politics is personal thread when needed. If you celebrate, Merry Christmas. If you don't Happy Holidays, and Be Well. I am wishing a much better year for all of us, sometime in 2022.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Had to go to Danville today for an errand and saw someone flying a Let's Go Brandon flag. Apparently Glenn Beck is also selling Let's Go Brandon socks on his site, complete with a pooping butt on them (in honor of Biden's visit to the Pope, you see).

Anyway today on Clay and Travis was a shitload of transphobia. Apparently there's something about a trans woman swimmer at the University of Pennsylvania? They're claiming that nobody in the mainstream media is reporting about it, even saying that ESPN is remaining completely silent on it despite their claim that there is an intersection between sports and politics (using C&B's phrasing there). Which, if ESPN is being silent on it, is indeed pretty hosed up, because they should be completely supportive of trans rights.

I wonder if the actual Brandon who started this stupid meme feels embarrassed by it yet? I know chuds being embarrassed is a hard ask, but still...

E: Apparently Brandon Brown had nothing to do with the genesis of the meme and has not stated an opinion on it one way or another, and from the look of it, is apparently actively losing sponsors from companies who think he's tarred by mere association now, so yeah he probably IS sick of it by now himself too.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 17, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Aaaaahahahahahahha

“Fox possessed countervailing evidence of election fraud from the Department of Justice, election experts, and Dominion at the time it had been making its statements,” the judge wrote. “The fact that, despite this evidence, Fox continued to publish its allegations against Dominion, suggests Fox knew the allegations were probably false.”
This is the one for $1.6 Billion.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1471671761389424640

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 17, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Too bad that Murdoch could probably afford that amount

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Probably not without selling some properties.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fox's parent company apparently owns $22bn in assets so I'm sure they can afford the price tag, but it will at least be more significant than the usual $30k fine for a multi-billion company. Assuming whichever judge takes this case doesn't then reduce the damages.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Too bad that Murdoch could probably afford that amount

1.6 billion is noticable even if you are elon musk with what 300 billion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AtomikKrab posted:

1.6 billion is noticable even if you are elon musk with what 300 billion.

Its not liquid assets, though. The value is largely tied up in stock.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

OgNar posted:

Aaaaahahahahahahha

“Fox possessed countervailing evidence of election fraud from the Department of Justice, election experts, and Dominion at the time it had been making its statements,” the judge wrote. “The fact that, despite this evidence, Fox continued to publish its allegations against Dominion, suggests Fox knew the allegations were probably false.”
This is the one for $1.6 Billion.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1471671761389424640

Libel is such an amazingly high bar to clear but wowzer that just might do it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

Libel is such an amazingly high bar to clear but wowzer that just might do it.

I'll be amazed if it happens.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/dpakman/status/1471684193801289730?s=20

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Everyone who gets to the level of wealthy Rupert Murdoch is all have the same flavor of brain-worms: a complete and utter obsession towards making Big Number into Bigger Number. Doing something illegal, getting sued for it and getting a result that makes Number Less Big by an amount significant enough for them to actually feel is probably quite a severe punishment in their minds.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Also the valuation of stuff like that drops pretty significantly if it needs to be sold. Even if it's just assorted stocks that's a good bit of downward pressure

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Did you lose everything in the recent Tornado devastation?
You may be sleeping in a school gymnasium and have no hopes left, but at least your head will be comfortable.
Thanks Mike Lindell.

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1471869348633448452

https://thepostmillennial.com/mypillow-donate-pillows-kentucky-tornado-victims

I'm positive they would much rather have the $3 ea these things are worth instead though.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I saw an article about the trans swimmer; I think it was in the Washington Post. It was definitely somewhere "mainstream". However, the reporting was (as one would probably expect) just "a trans swimmer won some meets/qualified for the Olympics/whatever" and not "MEN ARE TAKING OVER WOMENS SPORTS BECAUSE OF THE TRANSES" so in their opinion, the real issue wasn't covered, but it's out there. I'm sure ESPN covered it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

OgNar posted:

Did you lose everything in the recent Tornado devastation?
You may be sleeping in a school gymnasium and have no hopes left, but at least your head will be comfortable.
Thanks Mike Lindell.

Finally, a worthy successor to "Trump throwing paper towels at hurricane Maria victms"