Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

satanic splash-back posted:

It won't because the reason you're forced to take their mask is because the person doing the mask checking is not going to bother assessing if it is clean/dirty/new/old. That's a waste of their time compared to just telling you to shut the gently caress up and put on their mask.

It's not matter of safety for you, it's a matter of time spent and safety for the employees who have to keep arguing with entitled people who won't just follow the rules.

I get it, I just wish that there could be some kind of accommodation when there's a new variant doubling cases every 3 days (and very active where I am), and I'm immunocompromised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If they want me to put on their mask, it should be an N95. It’s as simple as that.

They’re fifty cents apiece again. Stop killing your patients over pennies.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

If they want me to put on their mask, it should be an N95. It’s as simple as that.

Don't N95s (and other respirator-style masks) have a much lower tolerance for incorrect fitting than surgical-style masks?

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Platystemon posted:

This or N95. Completely understand it’s not worth their time to fight with patients over quality, fit, or condition or the mask the patient comes in wearing.

Buy KN95s in bulk for $.50 or N95 for a buck and then charge insurance $50. Anything to not be wearing a surgical mask while seated three feet away from a boomer coughing up a lung while their nose is exposed.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

3 years of pandemic

Looks like it’s going to be at least a solid 5 years of wearing masks, and if it doesn’t get worse maybe 10 years of dealing with the economic and health consequences, by which time something worse will have happened (global warming?)

I need to look into this Enjoy The Decline thing

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
New high score for the uk - 93000 positive tests. At this rate we'll be well over 100k per day by next week assuming people can get tested.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't N95s (and other respirator-style masks) have a much lower tolerance for incorrect fitting than surgical-style masks?

Not really.

The average, untrained person is pretty bad at wearing them, but even on on average, with no fit test, they substantially outperform surgical‐style masks. This page and its citations go into various details.

I will note also that the farther you are from the being a white male, the less likely protective gear is to fit you. This is a real problem and one good reason that clinics should consider allowing patients to keep their own N95s and not replace them from one of unknown fit from the clinic’s stock. Failing that, having multiple models to choose from would be good.

Also, we need public education campaigns on proper use of respiratory protection. I mean, why not? Pinching the tip of a condom and rolling onto a banana has been a stock demonstration for decades.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've tried pinching the tip of my mask but it still rubs my nose.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Perhaps you need a MAGNUM MASK for your MAGNUM SCHNOZ.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

We still have to get flu shots for a virus we found 100 years ago. This pandemic will not end in our lifetimes.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
My beef with masks is that they fog up my glasses. It's minor but annoying. I use kn95 ones and they have a nose bridge tightener but it doesn't make much of a difference and I don't like messing with the mask once I'm out of my car and going wherever I'm going that I want to be wearing one.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I sadly got COVID this week, one day after getting my Moderna booster.

Already recovered though so I’m lucky, and it’s rather hard to know which of the symptoms were COVID and which were the booster side effects.

We already know the exact source, a relative’s 2 year old with weeping eyes we all thought were conjunctivitis, and based on when I got symptoms, the incubation time was a maximum of 3.5 days.

Is that Omicron?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/megtirrell/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

My beef with masks is that they fog up my glasses. It's minor but annoying. I use kn95 ones and they have a nose bridge tightener but it doesn't make much of a difference and I don't like messing with the mask once I'm out of my car and going wherever I'm going that I want to be wearing one.

That just means they’re not sealing correctly and you’re letting all your fumes out, and some in

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

This is what I mostly wear contacts if I'm planning on leaving the house, it's just MUCH easier to deal with a mask

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Strange Aeon posted:

Have you tried 3M Auras? They’re in the painting tools aisle at Home Depot.

They advertise anti‐fog design features that work for me and a lot of other people who use them.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I keep a supply of mask extenders. Since they pull from the neck instead of the ears the angle is a lot lower and it helps immensely with the glasses fogging.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Zeriel posted:

We still have to get flu shots for a virus we found 100 years ago. This pandemic will not end in our lifetimes.

The 1918 influenza pandemic has been over for a long time, dude. COVID will almost for sure be around throughout our lifetimes, and it's WAY too premature to say it's going to be endemic anytime soon, but the existence of a virus does not mean that a pandemic isn't over.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 17, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Platystemon posted:

I will note also that the farther you are from the being a white male, the less likely protective gear is to fit you.
I know what you mean but the #1 reason for a bad seal is having a beard

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

yook posted:

I keep a supply of mask extenders. Since they pull from the neck instead of the ears the angle is a lot lower and it helps immensely with the glasses fogging.

Yeah the ones that go round the ears tend to be really loose and crappy, and I'm saying that as someone with a pretty enormous swede

I'm using ones with two straps, one over the head and one around the neck, they tend to much much better. I'm going to start using tape to keep em sealed now, though, at least for the duration of the first Omicron wave (however long that is...)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

I have the same problem, i tape up the top part of the mask to my skin for the duration, the rest has a good seal against my fat blob of a face.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This guy measures CO2 levels in random places and apparently a movie theater is not good if you want to avoid breathing other people's poison lung gas

https://twitter.com/HuLeeYo/status/1471530541732274179?s=20

Less than 700ppm is recommended so....

No way home indeed, u heading to a hospital dude

I just did a little experiment where I used my breath to fill a plastic bag and then put my air quality monitor inside and sealed it. I got readings between 6500-7000ppm. I interpret this number as basically 1/3rd of what you're breathing in that situation has already been breathed in, and 2/3rds is "fresh" air.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, sitting waiting after my booster, nurse asks someone for their vaccine card and they said they had it on their phone.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

smackfu posted:

Ha, sitting waiting after my booster, nurse asks someone for their vaccine card and they said they had it on their phone.

??
Mine is on my phone, it's certainly not uncommon. Is that a weird thing where you live?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah when i got mine one of the other people there just had a photo of his card on his phone so the nurse just copied everything over to a new one

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
I didn't even have a picture on my phone when we got our booster. I just pulled up the QR code and the medical record page, and the admitting nurse filled out all three entries based on that.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
In California, you can get a digital vaccine card from the state with a QR code and even add it to Apple Wallet on iOS (probably also the Android equivalent, idk). This assumes your shots were all on the books and that you didn’t get your booster as Max Titers of course.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1471833968655966212?s=20

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I can’t say how accurate that Dr. Ding guy is, but the way he writes his tweets really loving annoys me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

thunderspanks posted:

??
Mine is on my phone, it's certainly not uncommon. Is that a weird thing where you live?

Yeah, the nurse was asking so she could write the booster dose on it.

I guess it isn’t unusual though for people to have lost or damaged their original card in the 6-7 months.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

smackfu posted:

I guess it isn’t unusual though for people to have lost or damaged their original card in the 6-7 months.

oh neat, ok. In my area it's all handled digitally- so you can get a paper copy but ultimately they just scan your QR code and do all the updates electronically.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I can’t say how accurate that Dr. Ding guy is, but the way he writes his tweets really loving annoys me.

His main problem is that he screams and panics about everything so eventually everything is #BREAKING #DOOMFOREVER and becomes white noise

I'd like to say he's been on point for the whole of the pandemic but also there's probably tons of his tweets that didn't amount to much

and I'm not gonna make some stat analysis of how right he's been, but he does have a point that everyone seems really complacent about Omi being less dangerous and I'm like "Hmmm maybe we should make sure before I go see Spidermens"

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Thanks for the 3M Aura tips. Since I'm flying home in two days (I'm boosted on Moderna and so are my parents), I figure that the flight is going to consist of 85% Omicron particles by the end of it. I might as well get as much protection as I can!

For the record I booked this flight pre-Omicron :colbert:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

smackfu posted:

Edit: actually that was for the passport, but now that you mention it, I should bring my immunization book next time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Thanks for the 3M Aura tips. Since I'm flying home in two days (I'm boosted on Moderna and so are my parents), I figure that the flight is going to consist of 85% Omicron particles by the end of it. I might as well get as much protection as I can!

For the record I booked this flight pre-Omicron :colbert:

Good luck.

Wear eye protection, too.

The mucous membranes of the eye are a possible route of infection. We unfortunately know little about how common it is, and it it happens with ærosols or more with larger droplets at close range, but there are some observational studies suggesting that contact workers issued faceshields are less likely to be infected, and this is even true of eyeglass wearers.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Platystemon posted:

Good luck.

Wear eye protection, too.

The mucous membranes of the eye are a possible route of infection. We unfortunately know little about how common it is, and it it happens with ærosols or more with larger droplets at close range, but there are some observational studies suggesting that contact workers issued faceshields are less likely to be infected, and this is even true of eyeglass wearers.

God DAMNIT

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

His main problem is that he screams and panics about everything so eventually everything is #BREAKING #DOOMFOREVER and becomes white noise

I'd like to say he's been on point for the whole of the pandemic but also there's probably tons of his tweets that didn't amount to much

and I'm not gonna make some stat analysis of how right he's been, but he does have a point that everyone seems really complacent about Omi being less dangerous and I'm like "Hmmm maybe we should make sure before I go see Spidermens"

i think this is mostly going off of data from South Africa, would could be biased because they are on average younger than most other countries. seems likely right now that IF you are double vaxxed you have good odds of not getting very sick, and if you're boosted you have good odds of getting mildly sick or being asymptomatic. as for people who were never vaxxed and either had previous exposure or no exposure - I think we still have to wait to find that out

what I think of here isn't regressive in the US who refused the vaccine and could be in for some rough times, but the billions of people living in places where they don't have access to a vaccine and will be exposed to Omicron

so I'm hoping it's not as bad as regular COVID because the alternative is not good, given how fast it's spreading

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

lmao this man bouta be on the plane wearing swim goggles

I'm on day 2 of feeling sick from covid. definitely a weird illness to have based on the tingly low o2 sensation

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have a co-worker who got Delta and nearly died in the hospital and still hasn’t come back to work

So, not a team player then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The guy next to me on my plane ride last week was wearing a mask plus face shield. So it does happen…