Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wear brown shoes from Kohl’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
So you can call yourself “Doctor” all day long, but if you say “Medical doctor” you might get in trouble. Did I interpret that right?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yes also “medicine man” is okay too and so is “witch doctor”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Pirate Captain posted:

So you can call yourself “Doctor” all day long, but if you say “Medical doctor” you might get in trouble. Did I interpret that right?

Have you never met a professor or school principal

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

Yeah but presumably they're not lying about it for fun and/or profit

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Devor posted:

Yeah but presumably they're not lying about it for fun and/or profit

I think the point is that in the US, "Doctor" is just an honorific that's used by people who have earned a Ph.D. It's rarely used outside of academia, but still not uncommon in non-medical fields.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

euphronius posted:

I meant without having earned it. Any time my sister in law says her name or writes it, it’s preceded by “Doctor”, but hey, she earned that PhD so go for it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fun tip: in regards to the OP’s original question, in the US you can put whatever the hell you want on a shipping label. I have had packages delivered to “His Royal Heinyness Poopypants Von Godzillabottom III” and it’s like, okay, whatever, nobody gives a poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I meant without having earned it. Any time my sister in law says her name or writes it, it’s preceded by “Doctor”, but hey, she earned that PhD so go for it.

One of the most famous basketball Players ever is named Doctor J.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
There's also Dr. Dre.

And Dr. Demento.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And Doc Oc, who is to be taken as an actual PhD haver but obviously since he's fictional, so is his doctorate

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I’m probably just being bad at explaining what I mean, but if someone at a bar asked me what I did for work and I said I was a doctor with no further elaboration, that would be fine. But sounds like if I said I was a doctor who helped leukemia kids, that would not be fine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It really doesn’t matter unless you are trying to sell medical services without a license

No DA is going to indict you for bar chat

Maybe . Some may. Don’t rely on this

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Don't forget about Dr. Feelgood. He's gonna be your frankenstein.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

And beware Dr. Acula. He sucks.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I’m probably just being bad at explaining what I mean, but if someone at a bar asked me what I did for work and I said I was a doctor with no further elaboration, that would be fine. But sounds like if I said I was a doctor who helped leukemia kids, that would not be fine.

as an ordained minister and the founder of a paper church back in the 90s i am technically allowed to grant religious titles, so boom you are now officially a doctor of immortality or whatever. boom done now there is no idea of fraud as long as you know to come clean if people start actually asking you to do Doctor poo poo.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

You can absolutely say you're a medical doctor who helps leukemia kids. You just can't practice medicine on leukemia kids.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well

You could not bill then for it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Are you really practicing medicine in America if you’re not billing for it?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yes, because costs are so astronomically high sometimes things simply don't get billed in the first place.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Besides booze, what's a good Christmas present for a family law attorney? Assuming it's a family member and I'm not a client.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Weed ?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

Besides booze, what's a good Christmas present for a family law attorney? Assuming it's a family member and I'm not a client.

The reason we like booze is because it helps us forget the fact that we are lawyers. Presents that remind them that they are a lawyer accomplished the opposite objective

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“I passed out your card to 5 of my friends who I think need a divorce”

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

"I received five copies of your business card, one each from five of my friends who don't know each other."

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

euphronius posted:

This is violence

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's golf clubs, right? All lawyers play golf?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Briefcase. Lawyers love briefcases.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

It's golf clubs, right? All lawyers play golf?

The % is certainly much higher than the average population, yes.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

The % is certainly much higher than the average population, yes.

This is a ridiculous stereotype. There's no reason why lawyers would be more likely to be golfers than anyone else, this is bogeyus and just tee's me off. Lawyers are just the same as your average albatross, just a bit more nitpicky and with a drinking problem. Very eagleitarian, par for the course people.

Okey, so I know what you're gonna ask, do I golf? Very droll. As a matter of fact I do have a green card and VERY OCCASIONALLY... You know what, you're being ridiculous right now and this conversation is done. Mulligan this over I don't know what this was even fore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did you have a stroke ?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Know what, don't let this drive a wedge between us. Let's all chip in and putt this all behind us.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

euphronius posted:

Did you have a stroke ?

Well that's rough

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

And here I was looking for the comfortable bunker that normally is the law thread, and it's just you birdies chirping away about golf. Don't you realize it's such a wedge issue; I could club the lot of ya?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well that's rough

Please answer the question

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, survey time: what’s everyone’s favorite part of golf?

Mine is deez

DEEZ PUTTS

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

This is a ridiculous stereotype. There's no reason why lawyers would be more likely to be golfers than anyone else, this is bogeyus and just tee's me off. Lawyers are just the same as your average albatross, just a bit more nitpicky and with a drinking problem. Very eagleitarian, par for the course people.

Okey, so I know what you're gonna ask, do I golf? Very droll. As a matter of fact I do have a green card and VERY OCCASIONALLY... You know what, you're being ridiculous right now and this conversation is done. Mulligan this over I don't know what this was even fore.

It's a sport that acts as a cover for getting wasted and expressing anger.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’ve never swung a golf club at a golf ball anywhere besides a mini golf course.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’ve never swung a golf club at a golf ball anywhere besides a mini golf course.

There isn't a single thing you're missing other than booze. And even then, depends on the mini golf place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The fun part of golf is hitting the ball really hard with the club to make it go far. 18 holes takes several hours, costs a solid bunch of money, really needs other people to be playing with you to be interesting, and has the added stress of not wanting to slow things down enough to annoy the group behind you.

The driving range, on the other hand, lets you smash balls as far as you want for as long as you keep feeding money into the machine to get another bucket of balls, doesn't hold up other people if you take your sweet time, and is a good stress reliever.

Buy your lawyer driving range certificates.