Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh give over if you think protesting - even violent drug fuelled protesting - deserves 14 years inside. It's insane overkill.

Do they spend the full sentence in prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You can't just point at everything you don't like and claim you won't surrender to it.

When you die you can try pointing at the reaper and he's not gonna listen mate.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I remember trying to explain to Arab friends (that have never travelled to UK) that Welsh is not simply a dialect of English. You have to basically show them Urdu (which uses Arabic script) and point out that just because the same set of letters is used doesn't mean it's basically the same language with a funny accent. (Mind you, most of them even if they have heard of Wales think it's a small town in England.)
They know about French right?

(Then again I'm sure there's plenty of people here who think Arabic and Urdu are the same thing.)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gonzo McFee posted:

14 years for protesting

To be fair, the 14 years was for setting fire to 2 police vans while there were people inside them bit, not the protesting bit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Simon Case has just resigned from heading the investigation into the illegal parties on account of attending an illegal party himself.

I genuinely think that every single person in the Westminster bubble was at parties throughout lockdown because that's all those loving weirdos do, just an endless parade of poo poo wine and nibbles. What we need is someone who never gets invited to anything ever, has no friends, and spent all of December 2020 in bed. I humbly accept this role.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ThomasPaine posted:

a fragile creature that I am fully responsible for and which also uses up all my money and free time and sleep while apparently on an endless mission to find new and exciting ways to put itself in mortal danger
Actchually mine is an indestructible war machine :smaug: which also uses up all my money and free time

e: lmao didn't refresh, gently caress all y'all suggesting that 14 years is reasonable. Read the judge's comments, he was making an example of them because they were "instrumental in instigating violence against the police" or some poo poo. There's only one group that were instrumental in instigating violence against the police, that's the cunts that turned up in riot gear and started beating people up.

the protestor did good (& I'd be lying if I said I never turned up to protests on a bunch of amphetamine, it makes me faster & stronger which is useful when the police instigate violence against themselves)

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 17, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What we need is someone who never gets invited to anything ever, has no friends, and spent all of December 2020 in bed.
Lib Dem fight back.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

(Then again I'm sure there's plenty of people here who think Arabic and Urdu are the same thing.)

French and Urdu are really both just dialects of Proto-Indo-European.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Do they spend the full sentence in prison?

Would 7 years be a reasonable sentence for protesting against an encroaching police state in your eyes?

Edit: how did you get that grey star next to your name? How disparaging can I be about your views and character without catching a sixer?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I genuinely think that every single person in the Westminster bubble was at parties throughout lockdown because that's all those loving weirdos do, just an endless parade of poo poo wine and nibbles. What we need is someone who never gets invited to anything ever, has no friends, and spent all of December 2020 in bed. I humbly accept this role.

Nah I think you're wrong on this, the wine is probably pretty decent

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I remember trying to explain to Arab friends (that have never travelled to UK) that Welsh is not simply a dialect of English. You have to basically show them Urdu (which uses Arabic script) and point out that just because the same set of letters is used doesn't mean it's basically the same language with a funny accent. (Mind you, most of them even if they have heard of Wales think it's a small town in England.)

this is why football is the universal language. you can have a confusing conversation but then magically people understand everything when you frame it through players and teams

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Nenonen posted:

Sounds like an utter prick. Rioting under coke is not a protected right anywhere, fyi.

i agree he should be studying towards a qualification or helping his community not going around being a ne'erdowell :nono:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Lib Dem fight back.

Nah I reckon they're the worst offenders because they're all thinktank mutants who probably collect lanyards the way nans collect tchotchkes of everywhere they've ever been.

Also I decided to actually confirm my memory of never having left the house in December last year via Google location history[1] and completely forgot I spent two days driving round the country picking up and delivering presents to my scattered family once the lockdown was announced, and also apparently spent the first two weeks of the month visiting every single borough in London which I have absolutely no recollection of. Like there's a day when I just walked to an Iceland in Islington and back, and a) I never shop in Iceland and b) loving Islington?

[1] Yeah I know I should probably turn this off

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah I reckon they're the worst offenders because they're all thinktank mutants who probably collect lanyards the way nans collect tchotchkes of everywhere they've ever been.

Also I decided to actually confirm my memory of never having left the house in December last year via Google location history[1] and completely forgot I spent two days driving round the country picking up and delivering presents to my scattered family once the lockdown was announced, and also apparently spent the first two weeks of the month visiting every single borough in London which I have absolutely no recollection of. Like there's a day when I just walked to an Iceland in Islington and back, and a) I never shop in Iceland and b) loving Islington?

[1] Yeah I know I should probably turn this off

Are you familiar with the plot of The Shadow Out Of Time because you might have some extremely bored pnakotic visitors.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jakabite posted:

Edit: how did you get that grey star next to your name? How disparaging can I be about your views and character without catching a sixer?
Let's find out.

Nenonen, you're a fascist apologist and should gently caress the gently caress off with that absolute shite.

I was on the jury this year for a nonce who raped a 13 year old child on 3 occasions. He also got 14 years. Which was an appropriate sentence.

Retaliating when the state does violence to you is cool & good.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Would 7 years be a reasonable sentence for protesting against an encroaching police state in your eyes?

He wasn't protesting, he was trying to kill people after doing a metric ton of drugs.

How about you explain to me why what he did should not be punished?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Yes - a friend brought her Egyptian husband over and she insisted the local mosque was Arabic because she recognized the writing (but without being able to understand it). He went and found it was all in Urdu so apart from a few set phrases (salam alaikum and maybe some bits of the adhan) he didn't understand a word of the sermon (obviously).

Also when I was first looking to live over there, I was looking in an area which had a western name (NAME) but written in Arabic script. I was talking with a Pakistani guy in the office and he said 'do you know what it says' and I said 'yes, it says NAME.' He said, 'no I mean do you know what it says! (thinking I was giving a translation and thinking I didn't know it was simply the English word written in arabic alphabet) and I said YES I DO and pointed to each letter and sounded it out. N... A... M.... E.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pistol_Pete posted:

To be fair, the 14 years was for setting fire to 2 police vans while there were people inside them bit, not the protesting bit.

I'm extremely skeptical of the idea that anyone was in those vehicles at any point that evening, they were in the usual parking spots by the station and officers had pulled back from around them.

It's also just making an example around the policing bill as it's coming back soon.

namesake fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 17, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jel Shaker posted:

this is why football is the universal language. you can have a confusing conversation but then magically people understand everything when you frame it through players and teams

Same with heavy metal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do cops count as people, do you think?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Nenonen posted:

He wasn't protesting, he was trying to kill people after doing a metric ton of drugs.

How about you explain to me why what he did should not be punished?

Lmao yes I’m sure his plan to murder those police was only foiled because he forget that vans have doors on them that can be easily opened and exited via. Ridiculous.

Whether you like it or not, or how he was doing it, he was protesting. He was protesting against a violent police state, in a situation where the state had already initiated violence, to try and prevent them further cracking down on any dissent.

Now the question of me answering anything to do with punishment is a weird one, because I essentially think he shouldn’t be - I’m totally against the police and the state and in my ideal world we’d sweep them all away after having established alternative structures to run society. However I’m guessing you meant to ask me what, realistically, the state should have done. I can’t really answer that because I don’t agree with anything about the justice system really, but I do know that losing at least 7 years of your life and being permanently hamstrung economically and socially is absolutely a draconian attempt at intimidation.

Who the gently caress are you anyway? Just come in to poo poo up the thread and gloat about someone having their life ruined?

E: ^^no

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Are you familiar with the plot of The Shadow Out Of Time because you might have some extremely bored pnakotic visitors.

Whatever that is it's probably cooler than what I've now remembered is what I was actually doing - seeing how far I could walk along the Regent's Canal before I got bored, to which the answer was "To Islington", an extremely important bit of scientific research, I'm sure you'll agree.

(I've actually got much further than that before, all the way to Camden once, but that was in times with nicer weather and also being able to do it one-way because we had public transport that would only kill you in the traditional stabby ways, not by turning your lungs into porridge)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jakabite posted:

Lmao yes I’m sure his plan to murder those police was only foiled because he forget that vans have doors on them that can be easily opened and exited via. Ridiculous.

they might have been teslies

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1471916613704298496
Things going very well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if I was trying to kill someone I don't think setting fire to a car is how I would do it, personally.

Cos you can get out of cars, unless as noted it's a tesla in which case that's your own stupid fault.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
this the replacement

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Maybe we do the revolution by getting Cressida really heavily invested in Tesla

E: oh before I forget the lad was found to be one of those injured by excessive police force too.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 17, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't someone post that the cops are getting tesla trucks or something, or was that a US thing?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If future is the RAF exclusively flying F35s and the police driving Teslas then I'm okay with that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately while they will all be on fire they will also be arresting and prosecuting anybody nearby for clearly being responsible for their exploding teslas.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

NotJustANumber99 posted:

saw this and thought, as it combines two of the thread's favourite things, people might be interested:

https://insideevs.com/news/553120/tesla-model3-uk-policecar-findings/amp/

!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hope the pigs get locked in the Tesla by the stupid AI and then the battery goes wooft.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People say posting isn't praxis but when skynet becomes self aware and identifies as a catboy ancom you'll all see.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In relation to Mr. Roberts case, the way it was presented was a comment that he got 14 years for protesting. As if he was solely charged with a charge related to protesting and given that as a sentence.
He wasn't, he was charged with a number of offences the most serious of which was Rioting, endangering life using fire and causing criminal damage using fire*

Now you can argue that all this arose during the course of a protest. But what started as a protest turned into a riot based on what happened next.

The law (and I suspect the average person if asked) has a clear idea of the line about what is protesting and what is rioting.

*= Which the law regards as more serious than normal criminal damage because it can get out of hand far more easily than smashing stuff with baseball bats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

yeah but the cops lie all the time and I don't think 14 years is an appropriate sentence for setting fire to a couple of cars that don't even belong to anybody.

better explanation is cops + judge just power tripping because that's what they do.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Question IRL posted:

In relation to Mr. Roberts case, the way it was presented was a comment that he got 14 years for protesting. As if he was solely charged with a charge related to protesting and given that as a sentence.
He wasn't, he was charged with a number of offences the most serious of which was Rioting, endangering life using fire and causing criminal damage using fire*

Now you can argue that all this arose during the course of a protest. But what started as a protest turned into a riot based on what happened next.

The law (and I suspect the average person if asked) has a clear idea of the line about what is protesting and what is rioting.

*= Which the law regards as more serious than normal criminal damage because it can get out of hand far more easily than smashing stuff with baseball bats.
Specifically, the unprovoked unlawful use of disproportionate armed force by the state against what was at that point a peaceful & lawful protest

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Honestly I'm not convinced the distinction between rioting and protesting is ever as well defined as people like to believe. A protest will always be redefined as a riot once stops being performative and starts to threaten establishment interests.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Now the question of me answering anything to do with punishment is a weird one, because I essentially think he shouldn’t be - I’m totally against the police and the state and in my ideal world we’d sweep them all away after having established alternative structures to run society. However I’m guessing you meant to ask me what, realistically, the state should have done. I can’t really answer that because I don’t agree with anything about the justice system really, but I do know that losing at least 7 years of your life and being permanently hamstrung economically and socially is absolutely a draconian attempt at intimidation.

No, I wanted to know what you personally feel should have been done. That's more than sufficient explanation of that. From an organized state's POV maintaining the monopoly of violence seems unavoidable so there would be little reason to ask.

Lengths of sentences are something that I agree don't usually match the deed, one way or another, nor is imprisonment the best possible way to rehabilitate criminals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that too honestly like even if it were somehow right I am still gonna assume it's wrong because how can I possibly trust the cops and judicial system to be impartial about criticism of the cops and judicial system, if they wanted me to be able to trust them they should be less poo poo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

On the topic of cops beings bastards, I listened to Peter Jukes podcast about the Daniel Morgan case recently and it's wild much was illuminated about how corrupt the Met is just from a single murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Nenonen posted:

No, I wanted to know what you personally feel should have been done. That's more than sufficient explanation of that. From an organized state's POV maintaining the monopoly of violence seems unavoidable so there would be little reason to ask.

Lengths of sentences are something that I agree don't usually match the deed, one way or another, nor is imprisonment the best possible way to rehabilitate criminals.
So what exactly did you hope to achieve by going straight to bat for the state, and what does it say about you that your knee-jerk response to obviously disproportionate sentencing of a victim of police violence is "worra bastard"?