Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

lmao at a cop being #2 and #3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/erika_cas/status/1471324132864319491

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

watching Ricard's ponderosa video and man Shan takes everything so personally

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

watching Ricard's ponderosa video and man Shan takes everything so personally

drat. She sure is a bitter Betty.

I don't usually watch Ponderosa videos, but I just watched that one. And god drat, that's what we've been missing in the show the last few seasons. By having so little focus on camp life and so much focus on explaining stupid twists (that ultimately had very little effect on the game), we really miss out on getting to know the players. I liked Ricard during the game, I wanted him to win. But he came across SO charming in his Ponderosa video. We missed a lot of that during the show. Maybe he he was too in his head about the game, but we need more character moments.

The crazy part is that the twists were even going to be CRAZIER this season. Probst had concocted this crazy scheme with fire tokens and bartering that was somehow different than what the did in WaW, and he called Mike White to ask his thoughts about it, and Mike was like, it's interesting, but is it fun? And Jeff realized no. So what we got this season was the way scaled back version.

Keep the twists simple. A hidden immunity idol, we know what that is, and don't need 15 minutes explaining each episode. Make them rare and hard to come by! That's all you need! Maybe don't hide them again right after they're used at council, players shouldn't be able to rely on finding idol after idol in order to stay in the game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nihonniboku posted:

drat. She sure is a bitter Betty.

It's really bad she was the same way with Danny in his video. And both he and Ricard said something about how they weren't looking forward to having to deal with her specifically when they were on the way to ponderosa so it makes me feel like there was more stuff behind the scenes that we didn't see on the island.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nihonniboku posted:

so much focus on explaining stupid twists (that ultimately had very little effect on the game)

That really is the biggest crime

Overly complicated gimmicks that amount to basically nothing but eat up airtime better spent on the actual players

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It actually is a pretty big crime. They spent so much time explaining all these advantages and twists that they put into the game... but ultimately they had 0 meaning on the game. The only advantages and twists that were actually used was 2 extra votes, 1 idol, and Erika's hour glass twist... They quite literally could have cut everything else out and focus on the Survivors and the actual gameplay.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
As many people have said a scene of Erika & Heather establishing an alliance should have been shown given how important it ended up being to the season and the end game. Ricard & Shan apparently developed a tight bond on the first day over his deafness and her autoimmune disease. Instead we got that awful 3rd episode where the first 30 minutes were literally all about twists including a Brad/Tiffany/Sydney detour to Shipwheel Island which ended up being totally irrelevant.

Any success of this season is because of the contestants despite the production getting in the way of themselves. If they repeat everything for S42, I'm wary that nonsense like the Knowledge is Power advantage and the Hourglass Twist can turn out much worse than they did this season.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Erika was a great winner but I have a lot of questions about the edit. Big Michele vibes here.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nothing about that ending was enjoyable for me.

Ricard was bitter as hell. Shan continues to be the least self aware contestant ever. I was mildly annoyed by Shan initially but her poo poo with DeShawn last night was absolutely pathetic.

I don’t hate Erika but I just do not get the jury decision at all. Even in the slightest.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Shipwheel Island

I initially read this at poo poo wheel island and I was fine with it

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Make Bitter Ricard the new host. He was very entertaining.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Watched the final, hugely enjoyed the entire jury being Xander embodying the "He's going to do something stupid" meme the entire time.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
So with the benefit of end-of-season hindsight I’m confident in saying that the hourglass was the worst twist on survivor history that didn’t involve eliminated players returning, and it might leapfrog past that given enough time. It (probably) didn’t affect the ending too much but it’s just so, so bad. Feel like we’re one season away from an immunity necklace nullifier lmao what’s the point of anything

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There should be an immunity nullifier to go with the hidden idol, maybe also smaller advantages that let you remove a vote for you at Tribal. Then they should also base the prize money off the outcomes of challenges but have one player in the cast who's secretly working against everyone else. Think this idea has legs.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I still say Knowledge is Power is the worst twist or advantage ever.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

I'm just glad it's over. Drop the 4 and keep the 1? HELL NO, could you imagine if THIS was the first season you watched Survivor?

Edit: I watched some of the ponderosa videos, LMFAO at Shan & Lianna trying to blame Danny and then he's like "Okay, well did you tell Ricard?" and then Shan goes "Adgjkadgajdgakhka;l!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghKZdaeG004

Edit 2: poo poo, apparently Russel Hantz had the exact same take as me. Obviously he hates all the "woke stuff" but he mentioned that CBS lost 2 million viewers between season 40 and 41. Yikes!! Watching Russel's content is further blackpilling me against Jeff.

Did you guys like how they did the live reading of the votes? I liked it but I also miss the crowd reaction and I want to see the families!! (is that weird?)

Brass fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 17, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brass posted:

Did you guys like how they did the live reading of the votes? I liked it but I also miss the crowd reaction and I want to see the families!! (is that weird?)

No that's not weird but the rest of your post is

Jeff tried to put a positive spin on why they were doing it, but it was because covid. They'll do it twice and then go back to the traditional format.

I strongly suspect the loss of viewers is just because of what last season was rather than anything about this season

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I thought they were often winning the time slot, so I can't imagine there's much consternation about the ratings.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I for one am outright shocked that Survivor had better viewership for the all winners season than they had for the All Woke season. I will now get all my opinions from Russell Hantz, the greatest 2 time runner-up in Survivor history.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m honestly shocked someone STILL gives a poo poo what Russell says or thinks about Survivor in 2021.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I’m honestly shocked someone STILL gives a poo poo what Russell says or thinks about Survivor in 2021.
I have a friend who follows him on twitter and sends me various tweets from him, he's entertaining in like a Jose Canseco kind of way. Earlier this year he went on a "diet" that consisted of not eating anything at all and went like 18 days without eating.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Lmao Russell Hantz spreads brainworms. Don't listen to that fool. He will do literally anything for attention and stirs poo poo up in real life just like he did on his lovely seasons.

I went through a weird Hantz phase almost a decade ago now where I ended up watching their reality show about flipping houses and followed Brandon Hantz on social media.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Russell Hantz, the greatest 2 time runner-up in Survivor history.

Is this technically even true? Amanda Kimmel was also a 2-time runner up. Her games were in a gap that I wasn't watching so I don't know much about her though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If they could show that viewership dropped off specifically after the """""""woke"""""""" episodes that might be something, but what is this comparison even based on? Season premier? Finale? Full season average?

It's not like they advertised it as Survivor: Woke Minorities Island

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

IcePhoenix posted:

Is this technically even true? Amanda Kimmel was also a 2-time runner up. Her games were in a gap that I wasn't watching so I don't know much about her though.

She was good at gaming the numbers but awful at the social game. At one point she's left off of a reward alone with somebody and literally asks her why she hates her (Amanda) so much.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Amanda was basically just a terrible public speaker who also had the bad luck of teaming up with two of the better winners/talkers of all time. Otherwise she was a pretty great player and I'd say a good social player as well. And she lasted longer her third time than Russell so hopefully that makes him mad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just realized they forgot to have a challenge wrestling in mud or peanut butter or whatever this season. drop the four, keep the one, add 35 i guess.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

just realized they forgot to have a challenge wrestling in mud or peanut butter or whatever this season. drop the four, keep the one, add 35 i guess.

Don't want to obscure all the feet

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Khanstant posted:

They wrestled with their consciences, Khanstant.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Winners at War, besides being the all stars season, also aired during the height of covid lockdowns. It's a terrible comparison

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

The Bloop posted:

No that's not weird but the rest of your post is

The same take I had with Russel, btw, was "I'm glad it's over." I went to his Twitter after Sydney Segal gave him a shoutout and watched a short video about his thoughts on Season 41. I have zero interest in him or anything he has to say beyond Survivor. Let's calm down.

The Bloop posted:

If they could show that viewership dropped off specifically after the """""""woke"""""""" episodes that might be something, but what is this comparison even based on? Season premier? Finale? Full season average?

It's not like they advertised it as Survivor: Woke Minorities Island

Ohhh okay, you're assuming I think the ratings are down because it's a "woke" season? I actually like the diversity and racial talk, I've said as much. I personally think the ratings are lower because the season was just bad (hourglass being the worst twist ever, shortened season with less camp life, etc). I don't think this season being bad has ANYTHING to do with the refreshing diversity of the cast.

Anyways, I thought he meant 2 million less viewers between Season 40 & 41 Finale. I went and looked up the ratings and they are giving me whiplash.

Edit: Source

Studio posted:

Winners at War, besides being the all stars season, also aired during the height of covid lockdowns. It's a terrible comparison

True, this is Season 39 and it looks more comparable. I am not sure how to interpret the '18-49 demographic' column, but it seems like Season 41 was barely hitting it compared to 39 & 40.

Brass fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 17, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah looks like 41 had a very stable ~5.5 mil viewers

I'm guessing 40 caught a lot of lightning in a bottle stuff with people who had stopped watching tuning back in for what is essentially a nostalgia/gimmick season

Also don't tell me to calm down I am literally screaming at the top of my lungs and very angrily typing very hard while posting about survivor

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That is a very funny cliff for the final though which I can only assume comes from people seeing 3 hours on the schedule and thinking "no".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

njsykora posted:

That is a very funny cliff for the final though.

Danny was a draw, brother

vv oh that's less fun vv

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

That is a very funny cliff for the final though.

that's just the aftershow thing

I guess people saw the winner and turned it off

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ah OK, I didn't notice they were doing that trick. Still though the series doesn't lose viewers like crazy, it just seems like fewer people came back for this season. It is slightly worrying that they couldn't pop back up huge for the final, but also fits that the point where I think we were all saying the season was at its worst before things started to turn around a bit that the numbers were lowest.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Honestly, numbers have been what they are post- Australia. They moved to Wednesdays from Thursdays which I thought was the biggest numbers giveaway, but here they are, doing pretty well. For whatever reason, there's a continued public interest in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i've never once mentioned survivor in public around other humans and not gotten surprised reactions that either it still exists or that someone they know watches it. If the statistics showed that only a couple hundred people still watched Survivor I don't think I'd be surprised or care until it's at whatever number means no more show ever again.

The Bloop posted:

that's just the aftershow thing

I guess people saw the winner and turned it off

also just worst aftershow format. I get why they did it and all but I lost interest in it really fast. Just misses everything fun or good about the finale/aftershow stuff. maybe we'll get the old way back someday, but until then, just unfortunate formatting for a finale.