Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GolfHole posted:

I had to switch back from manual to automatic because:

- it wasn't really possible to hear the right time to change gears when on group chat, too loud
- and I couldn't see my tach on this 6000px wide resolution

Manual was more fun and easily faster, just not viable for me :(

Forza's RPM / Spedometer HUD element have always been pretty awful. Forza is good so people are reluctant to criticize it but it's the truth. Forza's UI is and has always been really bad low effort bullshit, it's easily the worst UI of basically all the popular racing games. It's almost impossible to see, as by default it's in the veeeeery far corner of the screen and is mostly just white lettering against a transparent background. It's just bad, like, objectively.

Gran Turismo's HUD is 1000x better. And on the opposite end of the spectrum, the Need for Speed Shift series were bad games but with a great HUD. Every car's unique instrument cluster was represented on screen in chase cam mode and it was great. Not only were these clusters centered on the screen where you could actually see them and they were typically colored so you could kinda see what was going on even from your peripheral vision, but the fact that each car had its unique instrument cluster on the screen made each car feel that much more unique and interesting.

With Forza, there are things you can and should do to improve the interface. One is to move the HUD elements closer to the center of the screen in the options menu. I drag in these elements so much that in chase cam, the minimap and RPM dial are almost touching the car but not quite. Makes a world of difference. Also, you can individually turn up the volume on your car sounds. Just work on balancing your audio and you'll get it.

Basically, do whatever it takes to get manual mode back. Playing Forza with automatic shifting is like playing Mario with automatic jumping. It's just... you're robbing yourself of such a huge part of the experience.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
So, am I missing something somewhere or is there a way to see what kind of tracks/conditions make up the weekly Unbeatable trial? This was one more week where I went in in the right category, but couldn't do anything since it's dirt and under the rain... Beat it easily second time round, but it's annoying having to try it out blind first, considering the amount of matchmaking/loading times involved.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

The deny five flags weekly does not have to be done in horizon open, it still counts if done during the weekly playground games event.

it fucks your team over but it's probably easy to cheese this by just parking on the flag off the start.

Also, this week sucks so loving hard. not a single reward for shop car is even remotely uncommon. The only new thing is the Aventador J for completing the one race series.

somewhat related to the car game because car, every year at christmas costco has a small selection of 1:18 Maisto cars for $20. This year's cars are the 997 GT3 RS 4.0, C8 Corvette, 2022 Bronco, aaaaaand......

Powershift posted:

I used to be obsessed with the CLK GTR. I had 3 diecasts and 5 R/C versions of it.

The CLK-GTR. It feels exactly like the ones i had 20 years ago, still the same plaid seats too. My younger self would have gone nuts for a matte black one.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Dr. Faustus posted:

You will never, ever regret it.

I'll freely admit it's more fun, at least for lower-power vehicles which is all I'm practicing on for now. Really helps vehicles show off their personalities better.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I'm seriously annoyed that to get the new car this series I have to do more every week than is required for each second reward, none of which I actually care about

Dailies are trash too this week.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Tayter Swift posted:

I'll freely admit it's more fun, at least for lower-power vehicles which is all I'm practicing on for now. Really helps vehicles show off their personalities better.

Yeah I just don't like it with S1+ cars where really I need pretty much all my focus just to make each corner correctly

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

So I have to win 2 cross country circuit events in the #37. Then I have to do it again. What? lol

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Well, the second set have to be lap races rather than sprints, you see

(They were real low on ideas for this one, and the bar wasn’t high before)

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

emdash posted:

I thought they were both circuits. I did circuits for all 4 and they counted at least.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yeah the first set can be either

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Wiltsghost posted:

So I have to win 2 cross country circuit events in the #37. Then I have to do it again. What? lol

I don't know who RJ Anderson is but now I hate them and their stupid uncontrollable truck.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't know who RJ Anderson is but now I hate them and their stupid uncontrollable truck.

Try this. 100 334 726

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

emdash posted:

I tried a sprint for the first set and it didn't count. Maybe I secretly lost?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
That’s weird, I thought I definitely did sprint/circuit circuit/sprint (didn’t count)/circuit

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I mean, it's pretty unlikely the game was bugged and incorrectly registering wins as losses and vice-versa

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

webmeister posted:

I mean, it's pretty unlikely the game was bugged and incorrectly registering wins as losses and vice-versa

is it though? ;)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Wiltsghost posted:

Try this. 100 334 726
Thanks, I'll give it a try later.

I finally beat the event with the stock tune by bumping the Driveatars down to Average.

I wish the AI was a little more consistent with how well it drives on a given difficulty level. I can usually win against Above Average or Highly Skilled on most tracks, but on certain ones (especially dirt and cross-country, when there's water and/or big jumps) they seem nearly unbeatable even when I'm driving well with a tune I'm used to.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wiltsghost posted:

Try this. 100 334 726
Your timing is good.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

WhiteHowler posted:

At first I was planning on trying to do this thing without changing the RWD, just as a challenge. But then I was looking around in the upgrade screen, and somehow the AWD conversion made the truck faster, in addition to the usual handling/accel/launch improvements?!? So, literally no downside at all. Sometimes tuning & upgrading is really baffling to me

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Two wheels good, four wheels better

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

emdash posted:

You have to do circuits for both. I tried doing a sprint for the first one and it didn't count and for the second one I also had to do circuits.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Can confirm both the 2nd and 4th chapters specify “circuit” races in the description.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Code 565633922 will get you an insta-win cross country circuit that you can do quickly in succession to bang out the requirements.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Code 565633922 will get you an insta-win cross country circuit that you can do quickly in succession to bang out the requirements.

If you don't hate-finish the seasonal stuff while loudly swearing at the cheaty AI why are you even playing this game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

TjyvTompa posted:

If you don't hate-finish the seasonal stuff while loudly swearing at the cheaty AI why are you even playing this game.

I play to watch a game get progressively buggier with with each new patch. It's quite a show!

Today I had endless weather bugs. The main one was the time of day never changed progressively it would just snap between day and night every few minutes. Rain would also often appear a thick column of grey off in the distance. I even had one time where the skybox switched from rainy to sunny, except it did so by sliding the sunny day out of the way and sliding the rainy day into place, like changing slides in a projector.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I play to watch a game get progressively buggier with with each new patch. It's quite a show!

Today I had endless weather bugs. The main one was the time of day never changed progressively it would just snap between day and night every few minutes. Rain would also often appear a thick column of grey off in the distance. I even had one time where the skybox switched from rainy to sunny, except it did so by sliding the sunny day out of the way and sliding the rainy day into place, like changing slides in a projector.

I had a similar bug yesterday, I think it is related to the storm. In my game it switched between night/storm and day/clear weather every few seconds. Amazing stuff.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the storm itself is super cool though, first saw it in the second trial race and it was mad crazy

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

emdash posted:

I had to do circuits for the first one too. I ran 2 sprints and they didn't count last night.

Edit: beaten soundly and repeatedly

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The truck is fun to drive as long as AWD is on it. Didn't try the stock drivetrain.

I look forward to that part of the seasonal challenge each week. Helps remove the choice paralysis of having hundreds of cars, and gives me an hour+ to just focus on a single one that I've likely never driven before.

I can hold my own against highly skilled AI when driving stick now :) One question: How do you know when to shift to 2nd? 1st gear just bounces off the rev limiter immediately when I launch.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Just shift right away.

In many race vehicles first gear only really exists for driving around the pits/garages. Sadly, Forza doesn't let you start a race in 2nd or 3rd gear though (unless you have a wheel with a shifter hooked up maybe).

Symphoric fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 17, 2021

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
That lovely awful car made for a miserable experience until I did a manual tune that could win low-speed circuits (the SW aerodrome was a relief).

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I did the airfield circuit. Quick, easy to win, and you can keep a skill streak going indefinitely.

But nthing doing the awd conversion. Just a mess without it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yeah the airfield circuit is great for skill chains

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The soft/long travel suspension vehicles seem to have an issue where if the body hits the ground, the suspension doesn't rebound properly and the vehicle becomes uncontrollable.

The race spec bronco is almost unusable because of it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Any tips on how to find and complete this stupid snowman challenge?

Also, the cross country seasonal championships are really no fun in general. Road and street races are a lot better. I did, however, use a tuned Mugen Civic with AWD for the cross country and it was tons of fun slinging around this 1700 lb car with less than 200 horsepower and winning anyway.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Midniter posted:

The snowmen are scattered around the mountain peak. You can cheese it by switching to Solo mode and rewinding time after hitting them.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The Midniter posted:

FFT posted:

The snowmen are scattered around the mountain peak. You can cheese it by switching to Solo mode and rewinding time after hitting them.

There's a bunch in the Christmas village/market location too.

One bug I found is that if you hit something (a rock, box, debris, etc) and it hits the snowman first before you do it doesn't count for you. Be sure not to knock things into them!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Natsuumi posted:

There's a bunch in the Christmas village/market location too.

One bug I found is that if you hit something (a rock, box, debris, etc) and it hits the snowman first before you do it doesn't count for you. Be sure not to knock things into them!

I wonder if this happens with the christmas trees as well. It was such a pain doing the accolade where you have to hit 25 of each in the mazda.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

The small town in the southern half with the Christmas icon has tons of snowmen, candy canes, and trees. A couple passes will do ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Symphoric posted:

Just shift right away.

In many race vehicles first gear only really exists for driving around the pits/garages. Sadly, Forza doesn't let you start a race in 2nd or 3rd gear though (unless you have a wheel with a shifter hooked up maybe).

Oh okay, thanks :)

And I like the cross-country races :colbert: they're goofy, but so was Trackmania and I never held it against that game.