Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is a Best Buy drop likely today, given that they missed yesterday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If you Venmo me 5 bucks I’ll flip you a coin and let you know.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Today I learned that cheapo HP OEM 16-series cards don't even have a PWM fan. They're at a constant RPM whatever the load.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

i know people who have business licenses can cut out middlemen ("becoming" retailers themselves) but I barely know how that works. Even less so how they get FE cards since I thought Best Buy had exclusivity deals

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Even less so how they get FE cards since I thought Best Buy had exclusivity deals

Same in Europe, there's at most one store per country that sells FE cards

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Turing will never die

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1471859369277018117

Alan Smithee posted:

i know people who have business licenses can cut out middlemen ("becoming" retailers themselves) but I barely know how that works. Even less so how they get FE cards since I thought Best Buy had exclusivity deals

Most likely distributors breaking contract to sell to people they aren't supposed to. Maybe he's buying from foreign distributors that nvidia has less oversight over.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Turing will never die

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1471859369277018117

Most likely distributors breaking contract to sell to people they aren't supposed to. Maybe he's buying from foreign distributors that nvidia has less oversight over.

This seems fine? I assume it's to replace the 1650 in lower-end laptops and supplement it with DLSS

Edit, lol this has a lesser memory bandwidth than the 1650 so who knows

change my name fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 17, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I should've read the article. The 2050 is an Ampere chip? Very not-confusing naming here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

repiv posted:

Same in Europe, there's at most one store per country that sells FE cards

which is weird because you have fewer weirdo libertarians

i hope in true free market fashion he gets gunned down and his cards stolen

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I should've read the article. The 2050 is an Ampere chip? Very not-confusing naming here.

It's a new Ampere chip, so it might be a weird inbetween architecture like the 16xx cards were (those were Turing with the RTX bits cut off)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

what a colossal waste of energy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

which is weird because you have fewer weirdo libertarians

i hope in true free market fashion he gets gunned down and his cards stolen

You'd have to convince him to share more pictures to figure out the location. Then, idk, tell the DEA he's doing an illegal grow op in there or something.

Edit: in case it isn't obvious this is basically swatting and is bad don't actually do something like this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mobile GPUs only matched with desktop SKUs for one glorious moment in the 10xx timeframe. Before and since then it's been a mess.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Question! I do GPU rendering and have a machine with 3 x 2080s in it. I have a slot for one more.

I have another 2080 or I can put a Quadro RTX 5000 in it (that's just hanging around unused)

Currently I use Octane, which won't use the extra VRAM I'm told, but also will be using Redshift soon which apparently can.

But is there potential hiccups with introducing a different-but-still-RTX card into the setup?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Interesting to me: like two weeks AFTER my 3090FE repad job, I started to see more of a benefit from it. I can still get the card to throttle by throwing insane poo poo at it, but, under normal gaming at 1440p I'm not seeing the GPU junction get over like low 90s, and if I make it demo loop until it throttles, it takes a period of time for the bridge temp to rise. Before the repad, it would basically go from stable temp to 110C instantly as soon as I turned on (say Apex benchmark test everything maxed etc etc), and now even if I use settings which do eventually hit 110 and throttle, there is a gradual build up to that, making me think heat is being dispersed more efficiently.

I wonder if taking another shot at it and trying to be even more precise is worth it? It doesn't matter that much, but it would be nice if the fans didn't spin up quite as much, especially since during the winter I tend to leave the side off my case to help heat my room better :allears:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Maybe this will cheer you up:

Eh, mining profitability is a lot more detached from market value than you'd expect. There's a lot of on-demand clusters that spin up and down based on the current difficulty level, so the upshot of that is, from cranking some numbers just now, even though Bitcoin has dropped 20% in the last month and Etherium has dropped more than 10%, the profitability of a 3080 mining right now appears to be basically identical to what it was two months ago, or a month ago. I'm just playing with calculator apps, but that's what I come up with, and the fact that price dips don't seem to correspond to availability increases or price decreases on cards, cements that. If people are still buying loving 1080s for $700, it means miners are still buying whatever they can and assuming they're going to be able to dig out of it.

Ebay and similar should ban sales that exceed MSRP by a certain amount and more countries should actually criminalize crypto mining and actually pursue it with the same vengeance that grow houses used to get raided with.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

waste of energy, and some hundreds of people who just want to play video games not having cards. The existence of poo poo like this is why price dips etc don't matter; dumbass motherfucker libertarian capitalists have built insanely expensive rigs, are making five to six digits a day at this point, and therefore will just keep adding cards to the array until they are incarcerated or bombed from orbit.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wistful of Dollars posted:

He also isn't actually making money at current rates of return, by his own numbers. Crypto true believers are freaks.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Ebay and similar should ban sales that exceed MSRP by a certain amount and more countries should actually criminalize crypto mining and actually pursue it with the same vengeance that grow houses used to get raided with.
Lol Ebay's entire business model is aiding and abetting scalping at this point

Cygni posted:

He also isn't actually making money at current rates of return, by his own numbers. Crypto true believers are freaks.
not to go too cspam in here but its because they want the ultimate negative freedom libertopia where you have zero protections against anything, the profitability is almost beside the point for some of them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

b stock

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

"access denied"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i got in, but i'm not an elite member

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BonoMan posted:

Question! I do GPU rendering and have a machine with 3 x 2080s in it. I have a slot for one more.

I have another 2080 or I can put a Quadro RTX 5000 in it (that's just hanging around unused)

Currently I use Octane, which won't use the extra VRAM I'm told, but also will be using Redshift soon which apparently can.

But is there potential hiccups with introducing a different-but-still-RTX card into the setup?

I don't think so? I have a 780 and 2070 rendering with Redshift. If you look at the render benchmark thread in Redshift forums, there's all sorts of folks rendering with patchwork card setups. Only wildcard here is that you're mixing a Quadro with gaming cards, I still don't think it matters but worst case scenario is Redshift just wouldn't see one during rendering, you wouldn't be blowing up your machine or anything.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 18, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rinkles posted:

i got in, but i'm not an elite member

i cant get in and im an elite memeber LMAO i should be the joker

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

is there any hope that the site actually works? i can see cards, but the site hangs when trying to add to cart

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

no idea, never successfully completed

The page loads at least

all that's left are overpriced 1k-2k

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yup. listings eventually started loading normally, but i never even saw the cart screen.

foolishly felt some hope for a sec

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I got a little tired of the temps on my 3080 FE being high so I ordered some Gelid pads to replace the stock ones. They came in today from Amazon, so I either has it coming, or all the other talk about counterfeits is getting to my head.

I'm wondering if the 2mm thick sheet I got is counterfeit. The packaging is the same height but narrower, the colors are a little faded, and the text is a little blurrier, as if ClearType was tuned off, than the two 3mm sheets.

Has anyone ordered these before and can confirm or deny my suspicions?

Front:

Back:

2mm vs 3mm:

2mm vs 3mm:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Looks as though someone scanned the the box and then printed that scan, but that could be me reading too much into it. Who did you buy it from on Amazon?

edit: The sellers for 2mm GP-Extreme I'm seeing on Amazon are "Retail storee", "Mystik021" which sounds like some random online dude who got an amazon merchant account somehow, and "Hot Deals 4 Less®". Not gonna lie, none of those are inspiring much confidence in me. That said, "Retail storee" has a 100% positive merchant rating with 1000 merchant reviews, so maybe they only sell legit product, but that name is hard to trust lol

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 18, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Are those reviews verified purchases?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Yeah, that's what it looks like to me too. And the tab with perforations looks different as well.

Stupidly didn't look at who they were sold by when I added them to Cart. Currently the 2mm and 3mm are sold by "Retail storee," but shipped by Amazon.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think it necessarily matters who the seller was because of co-mingled stock.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think it necessarily matters who the seller was because of co-mingled stock.

Yeah, this was my worry.

I was also just thinking that maybe they needed the wider packaging for the 3mm in order to not squish the edges since since it is a whole millimeter taller. Like how envelopes can only hold so my paper.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I'm thinking of building a water-cooled PC early next year. If i bought one with those huge radiator/fan arrays, I'd end up uninstalling it and tossing it in the trash. Is there a place you can buy just the GPUs without the radiator to save a little money?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If we were in a normal market you could pay a premium for a GPU that comes with a waterblock. Right now, I don't know if anyone is actually making them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gigabyte is still actively making their Waterforce line for the 3080, 3080 Ti, and 3090. You're probably gonna have to buy it off of an ebay scalper if you want a shot at buying one, though. I don't know how you'd go about buying one of those at retail otherwise. There are things you can do to eventually buy whatever happens to be available at best buy or micro center if you're persistent, but buying a specific card model you want at retail seems impossible to me, unless there's secretly a place where you can get pre-waterblocked cards because they're more niche.

edit: Specifically you need a "Waterforce WB" model from Gigabyte if you want something you can incorporate into an open loop. They sell all-in-one closed-loop versions too that are just "Waterforce." They're out there, somewhere. Good luck getting one.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 18, 2021

aers
Feb 15, 2012

EVGA has the Hydro Copper line too.

But again, getting a specific GPU is rather difficult right now, lol.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
How do you get your hands on a GPU at close to MSRP in the EU? I've signed up to EVGA premium membership in hopes of pre-ordering the next lineup of GPUs. But other than that, it looks hopeless.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Gigabyte is still actively making their Waterforce line for the 3080, 3080 Ti, and 3090. You're probably gonna have to buy it off of an ebay scalper if you want a shot at buying one, though. I don't know how you'd go about buying one of those at retail otherwise. There are things you can do to eventually buy whatever happens to be available at best buy or micro center if you're persistent, but buying a specific card model you want at retail seems impossible to me, unless there's secretly a place where you can get pre-waterblocked cards because they're more niche.

edit: Specifically you need a "Waterforce WB" model from Gigabyte if you want something you can incorporate into an open loop. They sell all-in-one closed-loop versions too that are just "Waterforce." They're out there, somewhere. Good luck getting one.

Newegg shuffle used to have them pretty regularly with a mobo. I have the AIO watercooled one from there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Baby Ampere specs: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2050-and-mx500-laptop-gpus-tested-in-3dmark-timespy

The 2050 appears to just be a 3050 with the memory bus cut in half

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

repiv posted:

Baby Ampere specs: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2050-and-mx500-laptop-gpus-tested-in-3dmark-timespy

The 2050 appears to just be a 3050 with the memory bus cut in half

Why would they regress generation names like that for an up to date architecture? Seems weird from a marketing point of view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the 20 series is now entry level RTX and the 30 series is enthusiast grade. same reason they did the same with the 16 series I think