Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Bust Rodd posted:

It felt amazing to see NO WAY HOME SPOILER!!!! Charlie Cox again, in his ruby horn-rims. I wasn’t prepared for how emotional I got seeing him, but I really loved Daredevil. But they even give them a really tight little scene with a great joke!

No spoilers but I cried twice, NWH is very good y’all

Lots of cheers in my theater when this happened. Very cool to experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Everyone posted:

Just got back from it and really enjoyed it. The final credits scene seemed to be a trailer for Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness that pretty much declared "Training wheels are off now, D-bitches. Sign up for Disney+ or be lost forever."

This explains everything you need to know about multiverses

https://i.imgur.com/e8aCVlV.mp4

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

In what sense? Cuz I'll bet the line referencing WandaVision in that trailer is literally the only time it gets mentioned and the multiverse stuff is already covered in Spider-Man.

Did you miss the big character from What If that was in the trailer?

Also it's supposed to have more characters from What If.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone posted:

Just got back from it and really enjoyed it. The final credits scene seemed to be a trailer for Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness that pretty much declared "Training wheels are off now, D-bitches. Sign up for Disney+ or be lost forever."

It's kind of funny that the exact same thing that comics readers have been bitching about forever - too many tie-ins, too many crossovers, have to buy too many books to know what's going on, increasingly convoluted continuities involving multiple realities - are being exactly replicated in the comic book movie world too.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Azhais posted:

This explains everything you need to know about multiverses

https://i.imgur.com/e8aCVlV.mp4

He had me at Supervisors of the Solar System but Spike Lee just drove it home.

I. Am. Dead.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Can we maybe not openly talk about what is in the post credits of Spider-Man? The earliest I can see it is tomorrow morning. I would like some surprise left by then.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Mage_Boy posted:

Can we maybe not openly talk about what is in the post credits of Spider-Man? The earliest I can see it is tomorrow morning. I would like some surprise left by then.

It's literally a trailer for Dr Strange.
Like, with cuts and music and its a trailer. It'll be on Marvel's youtube next week I bet.

It has no bearing on the spider-man movie it is attached to.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

It's literally a trailer for Dr Strange.
Like, with cuts and music and its a trailer. It'll be on Marvel's youtube next week I bet.

It has no bearing on the spider-man movie it is attached to.
cool cool so when it's offically released we cantalk about the trailer that you can now only see as a post credit scene, but spoliers in the loving tv thread won't kill you

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I saw the Spider movie. If we ever see Daredevil in the MCU, Feige you son of a bitch

live with fruit posted:

I rewatched the episode and it made me wonder if Pugh really brought it in that scene because Marvel has recently been rewarding overachievers, like with Echo and House of Harkness.

I doubt Pugh needs to worry about that. You don't cast a huge Hollywood actor to replace one of your top heroes without having intentions to keep them around. We'll be getting an announcement for a Kate/Yelena vehicle soon after the finale

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Season finale predictions: Hawkeye ends up knecapping Kingpin so he has to use his floaty chair to get around. Yelena KILLS Hawkeye, cementing her villain position.

Also, the watch doesn't have anything to do with Tony Stark, it seems to have something to do with Clint and his family specifically. It's probably just a watch that links Ronin to the Barton family.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Just got home from Spider-Man

Spoiler: it’s good

just showing a trailer as the post-credits scene is such a loving cop out and I’m very disappointed

However, Charlie Cox! Shuma Gorath! Something of a scientist myself!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sockser posted:

Just got home from Spider-Man

Spoiler: it’s good

just showing a trailer as the post-credits scene is such a loving cop out and I’m very disappointed

However, Charlie Cox! Shuma Gorath! Something of a scientist myself!

Or No big deal

Also the Post Credits Trailer is certainly a spoiler for NWH. But HOLY poo poo AMERICA CHAVEZ! Yea she doesn't say anything, but she's got the jacket!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Codependent Poster posted:

Did you miss the big character from What If that was in the trailer?

Also it's supposed to have more characters from What If.

oh, was that god-Strange? I couldn’t tell.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Brass posted:

Season finale predictions: Hawkeye ends up knecapping Kingpin so he has to use his floaty chair to get around. Yelena KILLS Hawkeye, cementing her villain position.

Also, the watch doesn't have anything to do with Tony Stark, it seems to have something to do with Clint and his family specifically. It's probably just a watch that links Ronin to the Barton family.

The first bit spoilered... maybe. The second bit... can't see it. If Yelena's "villain position" gets cemented by her murdering Clint Barton, she's going to get killed, And it's a deeply stupid plan to bring in Florence Pugh to just get killed.

I agree that the watch probably has nothing to do with Tony Stark (unless it's something to do with Pepper and/or Morgan). However, in the most recent episode (which I think enough time has passed to discuss unspoiled but I'll spoiler-text it anyway) Clint dressed in the Ronin outfit with the Ronin sword, revealed his face to Maya and point blank told her that he was the instrument of her father's death. He did that despite knowing that Maya had been doing at least some research on his immediate family. Figure if he was concerned about somebody linking the Ronin identity to Clint Barton's family, he wouldn't have unmasked himself to somebody extremely focused on finding and killing Ronin.

You know, thinking it through, I think I know what the watch is and to whom it is linked. It's not to Laura. Even if Laura used to be a spy person... so what? Her husband is Clint Barton, former Avenger and former SHIELD assassin. Anybody wanting to come after Clint already has the option of going after Clint's family. No, I think the watch is instead linked to Alexei and Melina. Both would fit the description of people "out of the game for a while" post-Snap. Plus Melina developed the Red Widow brainwashing program. Anybody wanting to recreate it (like Val or any number of unscrupulous/vile people and organizations) would need access to Melina. The Watch was in the same auction as Clint's Ronin gear - indicating that it was with Clint's stuff - probably found with it.

This idea also gives a way to resolve the situation with Yelena in a peaceful manner. Figure right before the Time Heist, Clint and Natasha exchanged "just in case" promises. Nat would look after Clint's family if he snuffed and Natasha gave Clint that watch and thus the way to find her (at that point) closest living "relatives" If Clint has that watch and knows what it means, then it means that Natasha Romanoff trusted Clint Barton with more than her life. She trusted him with her family. Figure something like that would go a long way toward getting Yelena to trust him and also getting her to join with him and Kate to recover the Watch.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Everyone posted:

You know, thinking it through, I think I know what the watch is and to whom it is linked. It's not to Laura. Even if Laura used to be a spy person... so what? Her husband is Clint Barton, former Avenger and former SHIELD assassin. Anybody wanting to come after Clint already has the option of going after Clint's family. No, I think the watch is instead linked to Alexei and Melina. Both would fit the description of people "out of the game for a while" post-Snap. Plus Melina developed the Red Widow brainwashing program. Anybody wanting to recreate it (like Val or any number of unscrupulous/vile people and organizations) would need access to Melina. The Watch was in the same auction as Clint's Ronin gear - indicating that it was with Clint's stuff - probably found with it.

This idea also gives a way to resolve the situation with Yelena in a peaceful manner. Figure right before the Time Heist, Clint and Natasha exchanged "just in case" promises. Nat would look after Clint's family if he snuffed and Natasha gave Clint that watch and thus the way to find her (at that point) closest living "relatives" If Clint has that watch and knows what it means, then it means that Natasha Romanoff trusted Clint Barton with more than her life. She trusted him with her family. Figure something like that would go a long way toward getting Yelena to trust him and also getting her to join with him and Kate to recover the Watch.

oooh, interesting theory

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My speculation regarding the watch: It’s Steve Rodgers and they’re doing a quasi adaptation of the The Tape arc from the Fraction run. I haven’t seen NWH yet but I assume The Avengers didn’t come out and say Steve returned the stones then lived his life. They probably didn’t elaborate on the time heist or how Natasha died specifically either. They did probably say what Tony did because he was the one to undo the snap. But if the watch can be linked to old man Steve, who only the avengers would know to be around, then it could be in everyone’s interest to make sure no one finds out.

Of course this is just baseless and the watch being in the compound kinda works against it but I think it’s going to be tied to another Avenger

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Parkingtigers posted:

oooh, interesting theory

We'll see if I'm right Wednesday, I guess. I think I am if only because I've yet to see another idea that both explains the Watch and gives a plausible way for Yelena to stop wanting to kill Clint.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

We'll see if I'm right Wednesday, I guess. I think I am if only because I've yet to see another idea that both explains the Watch and gives a plausible way for Yelena to stop wanting to kill Clint.

The one thing any theory I've yet to see explains (and it's not many admittedly, since I haven't been actively looking), is why Clint just left it in Avengers Tower and never went to get it even when the place was destroyed. It doesn't come across as something he normally finds particularly precious, only something he doesn't want falling into the wrong hands once he finds out it might be getting shipped around.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Everyone posted:

The first bit spoilered... maybe. The second bit... can't see it. If Yelena's "villain position" gets cemented by her murdering Clint Barton, she's going to get killed, And it's a deeply stupid plan to bring in Florence Pugh to just get killed.

I agree that the watch probably has nothing to do with Tony Stark (unless it's something to do with Pepper and/or Morgan). However, in the most recent episode (which I think enough time has passed to discuss unspoiled but I'll spoiler-text it anyway) Clint dressed in the Ronin outfit with the Ronin sword, revealed his face to Maya and point blank told her that he was the instrument of her father's death. He did that despite knowing that Maya had been doing at least some research on his immediate family. Figure if he was concerned about somebody linking the Ronin identity to Clint Barton's family, he wouldn't have unmasked himself to somebody extremely focused on finding and killing Ronin.

He showed his face to Maya because that was the last resort. That's why his wife was saying she trusts Clint's judgement. It was a foreshadow fake-out to think Clint was mulling over killing Maya but obviously he revealed his face instead and told her how he got tipped off. And I don't think Yelena killing Clint would get her killed in return. By who? The Avengers aren't killers. People seem sure there will be Kate + Yelena stuff in the future, and I agree, just not that they will be on the same team.

I like your theory but the track record for all phase 4 MCU titles has been an extremely sad and bleek ending.

Brass fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 18, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is zero chance in my mind that this ends with Yelena being a villain at all. You don't cast a hot up and coming actor and not make them a big part of your world. I feel like some people have just taken to granted and that is a solid fact Thunderbolts is 100% happening, despite like, there being only one 1 character who is generally seen as part of that team around.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's also been multiple versions of Thunderbolts, with not just different teams but different goals or ways of acting. The original Thunderbolts was a bunch of villains wearing disguises to act as heroes for a big score, and some of them realizing they wanted to be be heroes more if I recall, while newer ones are government sanctioned teams of villains ala the Suicide Squad. Which usually have one or two genuinely good people on them to give the team some moral backbone. So Yelena could still be on a team of villains even if she's not one herself, either as a double agent (which I'd love) or as a way to help rehabilitate the rest.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Re the watch: It's Natasha's. It doesn't have any real value but it's one of the last few remaining items the super spy assassin left in this world. The TSM want it because either they think she had a connection with the Ronin. Or Kingpin just wanted a trophy and lied to them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HootTheOwl posted:

Re the watch: It's Natasha's. It doesn't have any real value but it's one of the last few remaining items the super spy assassin left in this world. The TSM want it because either they think she had a connection with the Ronin. Or Kingpin just wanted a trophy and lied to them.

Why just leave it lying around in the Avenger's compound then? Why doesn't he have it at home, as a memento of a friend? It's not like the compound's destruction is recent either; it happened a while ago, and he's made no effort to go after it. It wouldn't endanger anyone if someone had it now either, since she's already dead.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

HootTheOwl posted:

This doesn't work, though.

Clint: "...their identity is still attached to that watch."
Kate: "And if the Tracksuits find out about it?"
Clint: "It would blow their cover. Goodbye, friend"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

kazil posted:

This doesn't work, though.

Clint: "...their identity is still attached to that watch."
Kate: "And if the Tracksuits find out about it?"
Clint: "It would blow their cover. Goodbye, friend"

Is there any reason it couldn't be Ronin's watch? The other stuff sold was the Ronin's.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s giving off a tracking signal, that ain’t no regular watch.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

pik_d posted:

Is there any reason it couldn't be Ronin's watch? The other stuff sold was the Ronin's.

Clint didn't even think about the watch until Laura brought it up. If it was part of the Ronin outfit I would imagine he'd be more concerned about it earlier.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

kazil posted:

Clint didn't even think about the watch until Laura brought it up. If it was part of the Ronin outfit I would imagine he'd be more concerned about it earlier.

I don't remember the context of her bringing it up exactly, is it possible Clint thought it was destroyed beforehand?

Watching it back Clint asks Laura "Wasn't it destroyed like years ago?" and Laura responds saying "I thought so but I thought the same thing about your fancy outfit"

I think it could belong to either of them honestly, probably Laura but I wouldn't discount Clint yet.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 18, 2021

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

pik_d posted:

I don't remember the context of her bringing it up exactly, is it possible Clint thought it was destroyed beforehand?

They both thought it was destroyed. But after Laura brings it up, Clint says it's worth looking into and has her use the tracker.

Clint also talks to Kate about it belonging to someone he worked with, though there's nothing stopping him from lying to her. Maybe it's a Paul Bettany situation where the person Clint worked with was himself.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

kazil posted:

They both thought it was destroyed. But after Laura brings it up, Clint says it's worth looking into and has her use the tracker.

Clint also talks to Kate about it belonging to someone he worked with, though there's nothing stopping him from lying to her. Maybe it's a Paul Bettany situation where the person Clint worked with was himself.

Yeah it makes the most sense that it's Laura but this is the same character that said that Nat killed Ronin and he knows this because he was there.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The watch is Mephisto.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The watch is the super skrull

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Pizza Dog is Super Skrull

the watch belonged to the kid from Iron Man 3

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Rarity posted:

I saw the Spider movie. If we ever see Daredevil in the MCU, Feige you son of a bitch

I doubt Pugh needs to worry about that. You don't cast a huge Hollywood actor to replace one of your top heroes without having intentions to keep them around. We'll be getting an announcement for a Kate/Yelena vehicle soon after the finale

Is she a huge actor? She's great and an Oscar nominee but she still seems pre-breakout.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Post-NWH take: The set up for another Spider-Man series, and I guess this explains Freshman Year, where he'll apparently fight a new Venom is very intriguing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's no chance they're going to make Yelena a villain. She's one of the most popular phase 4 newbies and probably the most popular

live with fruit posted:

Is she a huge actor? She's great and an Oscar nominee but she still seems pre-breakout.

I mean she's not Tom Holland/Zendaya/Timothee Chalamet huge yet but she's clearly going to be

live with fruit posted:

Post-NWH take: The set up for another Spider-Man series, and I guess this explains Freshman Year, where he'll apparently fight a new Venom is very intriguing.

Freshman Year is pre-Homecoming

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Brass posted:

He showed his face to Maya because that was the last resort. That's why his wife was saying she trusts Clint's judgement. It was a foreshadow fake-out to think Clint was mulling over killing Maya but obviously he revealed his face instead and told her how he got tipped off. And I don't think Yelena killing Clint would get her killed in return. By who? The Avengers aren't killers. People seem sure there will be Kate + Yelena stuff in the future, and I agree, just not that they will be on the same team.

I like your theory but the track record for all phase 4 MCU titles has been an extremely sad and bleek ending.

Killing Clint would get Yelena killed by the MCU in general based on the fact that very, very few of the MCU villains have actually survived the movies/shows in which they've appeared. Really the only superhero who makes much of an effort to avoid murdering his enemies is Spider-Man. So, unless Yelena will somehow be positioned as a Spider-Man villain, if she kills Clint, she'll die in turn based on how the MCU has worked thus far.

And the bleak/sad endings of Phase 4 titles is a matter of opinion and I disagree with that opinion. Taking them one at a time:

WandaVision: Vision and the kids are gone. For now. And a tiny town in New Jersey really dislikes Wanda Maximoff. Still, she at least seems to be trying to get control of her magic (even if she's reading the creepy dark book) and otherwise taking responsibility for her power.

Falcon/Winter Soldier: Yep, Zeno killing the slightly clueless Flag-smasher kids, but the issue they fought for is apparently being addressed in-universe. Sam's family got to keep their boat and Bucky seems to be getting his soul put back together.

Loki Season One was clearly part one of at least a two part story, so more bleak/sad cliffhanger than ending there.

Black Widow's bleak ending happened in the middle of Endgame but in Black Widow itself the Widows got their minds back and Yelena lived to break into people's burned out apartment, making awesome mac and cheese and criticize cutlery choices, so good?

What If? mostly had even the bleak endings round out on a hopeful note at the end.

Shang-Chi and Katy took Wong to do karaoke. That's pretty much the opposite of bleak and sad. Yeah, Wenwu died, but the 10 rings are in the hands of decent person now.

The Eternals had the big gently caress-off Celestial thing decide that humans were at least going to get something that approached a fair trial instead of just getting exploded out of hand.

Finally Spider-Man No Way Home did end on a bit of a downer. Still Ned and MJ are both alive. Ned can do magic (and Dr. Strange probably won't be forgetting about him). There's still plenty of hope for the gang to get back together. Also, the Multiverse is officially a thing now. And Spider-Man just cured and saved the lives of five of his most dangerous, iconic villains. Figure at some point that's going to pay some serious dividends for him in the "Somebody help save my rear end" department eventually.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As i said in the BSS thread about No Way Home people remember Spider-Man. So Captain Marvel knows that she took the Infinity Stones from Spider-Man, but does not remember that he's Peter Parker, and that's everyone. Everyone who knew about Spider-Man and what he did before the spell still knows it, its just that Peter Parker has been forgotten. Clearly he can tell people "i'm peter parker" and they'll remember him based on that new interaction, but nothing before that is remembered.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

As i said in the BSS thread about No Way Home people remember Spider-Man. So Captain Marvel knows that she took the Infinity Stones from Spider-Man, but does not remember that he's Peter Parker, and that's everyone. Everyone who knew about Spider-Man and what he did before the spell still knows it, its just that Peter Parker has been forgotten. Clearly he can tell people "i'm peter parker" and they'll remember him based on that new interaction, but nothing before that is remembered.

Which I'm going to try to not think about too hard because it kind of falls apart. Like, how did Peter get that apartment without a Social Security number which would not have been issued because the issuer would not have known that Peter Parker existed. Or at least that data would be deleted. We see Peter with GED books because presumably his school has forgotten him, so he's not going to graduate and go to MIT. So going forward Peter is effectively an undocumented alien, sort of. Which... okay...?

I don't know. I think I might've preferred a softer and less "brain-hurty" ending. Like, nobody remember that Peter Parker (in the MCU) is Spider-Man. That would still affect his relationships adversely. He might still be friends with Ned but not "best friends" because a lot of their bonding occurred over dealing with Peter becoming Spider-Man. MJ would know Peter as a kid from school but not someone she was dating because Peter doing weird poo poo because he was Spider-Man was the thing that first attracted her interest in him. Happy would remember Peter as "May's dweeby nephew" at most. I can still understand the dramatic effect of a total break even if I can't quite swallow the logical ramifications of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Everyone posted:

Which I'm going to try to not think about too hard because it kind of falls apart. Like, how did Peter get that apartment without a Social Security number which would not have been issued because the issuer would not have known that Peter Parker existed. Or at least that data would be deleted. We see Peter with GED books because presumably his school has forgotten him, so he's not going to graduate and go to MIT. So going forward Peter is effectively an undocumented alien, sort of. Which... okay...?

I don't know. I think I might've preferred a softer and less "brain-hurty" ending. Like, nobody remember that Peter Parker (in the MCU) is Spider-Man. That would still affect his relationships adversely. He might still be friends with Ned but not "best friends" because a lot of their bonding occurred over dealing with Peter becoming Spider-Man. MJ would know Peter as a kid from school but not someone she was dating because Peter doing weird poo poo because he was Spider-Man was the thing that first attracted her interest in him. Happy would remember Peter as "May's dweeby nephew" at most. I can still understand the dramatic effect of a total break even if I can't quite swallow the logical ramifications of it all.

NWH spoilers:

It's magic. There's always going to be 'brain-hurty' poo poo involved. Strange recasting 'the same spell, but right' would still have 'brain-hurty' elements (what happens to all those recordings that proliferated across the internet?), but would make absolutely no thematic sense since it'd be Peter just asking for a do-over. He tried dodging his responsibility through magic rather than do the hard work once, why should he get to do it again? The way they did it gives an actual element of sacrifice. Because as you pointed out, there are people in the real world who manage to live lives without documentation, they're just much harder.