Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's the exact opposite of that; a well reasoned and explained magic system has rules and limitations that let the audience intuitively predict the outcomes of magical interactions, whereas star trek technobabble is post facto justification why a previously impossible solution works now.

This, 100%. I’ve always been disappointed with fantasy that has no clear rules; a wizard waving a staff around and spontaneously solving the characters’ problem in some random unexpected way is absolutely identical to Geordi doing the same by reversing polarity of the deflector dish.

Honestly, I love the show but Nynaeve is feeling like a deflector dish at this point because the show has given zero rules about how why or when anything works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Crazy idea, but maybe some people can like the fight scene and other people can not like it?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Colonel Cool posted:

Watched it with someone unfamiliar with WoT and she had no idea there was supposed to be a battle going on. Her impression was that a bunch of soldiers had been sent to chase down a pregnant lady for unknown reasons.

Yeah, the scene was acceptable for me as a book reader, but I can imagine a new watcher asking herself...

Where is that? When is it?
Who is that lady? And the soldiers?
Why are they fighting?

It's totally without context.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, the scene was acceptable for me as a book reader, but I can imagine a new watcher asking herself...

Where is that? When is it?
Who is that lady? And the soldiers?
Why are they fighting?

It's totally without context.

It's pretty complicated storytelling, because they only provide the context later in the same episode. Tricky and easy to miss.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Overall it wasn’t a super strong episode but all the individual bits were good. The fight may have been silly but it was quite fun. Mostly it just felt rushed.

I’m hopeful that s2 gets a bit more room to breathe.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

tsob posted:

While it's certainly possible they could have left it up to the audience to put two and two together and know that Rand channeled to knock the door down, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the same in the Ways, because there's really nothing suggesting Rand was responsible there and Egwene says she did it without intending to. It'd also mean skipping over him thinking about Tam babbling about his birth if they didn't. Two of the three flashbacks the show provides are things the audience can't connect without those flashbacks.
I really loved what they did in that Trolloc scene in the Ways. It is a really „blink and you miss it“ scene:
The first time through, we see Egwene channel (including seeing the weaves) and blast the Trolloc away. She then apologizes, stuff gets crazy, etc.
In the flashback, they show what really happened. Egwene starts channeling, then Rand channels and his weaves go past Egwene and her weaves and Rand is the one to actually blast the Trolloc away.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

MegaZeroX posted:

Crazy idea, but maybe some people can like the fight scene and other people can not like it?

Impossible, there is only one right opinion (mine) and 7 billion people being wrong and stupid that need reducation. :smuggo:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How are u posted:

It's pretty complicated storytelling, because they only provide the context later in the same episode. Tricky and easy to miss.

Not really. We know Rand is apparently ethnically identifiable as Aiel. This lady is Aiel, she is pregnant, show has done cold open flashbacks as recently as last week and they wouldn't show us this lady for no reason. It's pretty easy to suspect where it's headed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
One thing that I'm kind of curious about this week is the fact that there's no Origin bonus animation with this episode. I was quite enjoying them as little supplementary stories of the history and world-building that wouldn't really fit in the actual episodes, and figured there'd be one for every episode. So was it just something they were only doing for the first 6 for some reason, did they just skip this week but there'll be another next week?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What has the last 5 pages of posts been about?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

robert jordan's The Wheel of Time, now streaming on Amazon Prime

edit: too slow how are u

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The Amazon prime TV show The Wheel of Time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

its HIM posted:

This, 100%. I’ve always been disappointed with fantasy that has no clear rules; a wizard waving a staff around and spontaneously solving the characters’ problem in some random unexpected way is absolutely identical to Geordi doing the same by reversing polarity of the deflector dish.

Honestly, I love the show but Nynaeve is feeling like a deflector dish at this point because the show has given zero rules about how why or when anything works.

Part of the problem with Nynaeve is that it seems like she's randomly going Super Saiyan because they haven't explained how her powers actually work. This is a shame, because I actually feel that the show has done a really good job with Nynaeve and establishing why we should care about her. Perrin has the same problem, but they've been less consistent with his character.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

RAFO

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

RandomReader posted:

Impossible, there is only one right opinion (mine) and 7 billion people being wrong and stupid that need reducation. :smuggo:

Not just that, anyone who wants a different degree of realism than I do in their cinematic choreography is a screaming Nazi incel. ;)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mind Nyaneve just exploding with healing power because it can be inferred that she's got some great power in her which for now she can only access in times of extreme distress. That's pretty much standard in fantasy stories, there's really no need for further explanation at this point. There will be training scenes later where she learns the extent of and how to control her abilities. People understand how latent power works in these kind of stories.

I've got more of an issue with her character in general in that she's just not very likeable and I think she's supposed to be. She's on edge 100% of the time with everybody and I don't think they've done much to justify that - even with her friends, she's awkward and randomly hostle. With Moiraine and the Aes Sedai her attitude is constantly well how about gently caress you. The only moment I've kind of liked her was when she was smiling in the window at Lan's family reunion, and I at least understood her trepidation about getting involved with Lan afterwards because she thinks him and Moraine are basically married.

Yeah she's been forced out of her home on a dangerous quest but so have all of them, and aside from Rand having a little tantrum at Moiraine in episode 2, the rest of them aren't acting like that even though they've arguably lost more. This must just be her personality, and it isn't one I really enjoy watching - repressed people who lash out after stewing for hours.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sweet geek swag posted:

Part of the problem with Nynaeve is that it seems like she's randomly going Super Saiyan because they haven't explained how her powers actually work. This is a shame, because I actually feel that the show has done a really good job with Nynaeve and establishing why we should care about her. Perrin has the same problem, but they've been less consistent with his character.

Nynaeve's completely untrained, we don't know how her powers work cause she doesn't know how her powers work

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Last question for the evening, Wheel of Time or Foundation?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Good episode but I hate how they made the Ways look like they're 100 yards long. They look cool as gently caress though.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

roomtone posted:

With Moiraine and the Aes Sedai her attitude is constantly well how about gently caress you.

There was an entire scene where she explained why she feels this way. She got over it with the Warders by hanging out with them, but she's had no moments with any Aes Sedai that would dissuade her from her existing opinion.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Last question for the evening, Wheel of Time or Foundation?

Is the question "Which adaptation has literally anything at all to do with the source material beyond a handful of names?"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Good episode but I hate how they made the Ways look like they're 100 yards long. They look cool as gently caress though.

Given they apparently built a football field sized set for it, it seems like another victim of needing to brutally edit down the story to fit it all in.

All of my posts will end with "each episode needs another 30 minutes" and I am unapologetic about it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Non book reader, but in episode 2 the whitecloaks tell the witch that only a witch can heal a trollac injury…

So what happens when a white cloak gets attacked by a trolloc? Are they just hosed since they kill witches?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nwin posted:

Non book reader, but in episode 2 the whitecloaks tell the witch that only a witch can heal a trollac injury…

So what happens when a white cloak gets attacked by a trolloc? Are they just hosed since they kill witches?

Same guy says "We whitecloaks stay clear of witches" so yea basically.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

CainFortea posted:

Same guy says "We whitecloaks stay clear of witches" so yea basically.

Yeah i heard that…just confirming.

Are these books worth the easing at this point?

I started reading GoT after seeing the first episode but there’s a lot more to this universe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I get the feeling Whitecloaks don't go in for fighting Trollocs all that much

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pleads posted:

Given they apparently built a football field sized set for it, it seems like another victim of needing to brutally edit down the story to fit it all in.

All of my posts will end with "each episode needs another 30 minutes" and I am unapologetic about it.

I didn't really mind the fast pace of the story until this episode. poo poo was like light speed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Whitecloaks come off as largely ceremonial social bullies who mostly exist to try and lord it over anyone they can rather than people actually concerned with fighting some kind of good fight. So they probably don't face off against things like Trollocs terribly often for the conflict to come up.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Pleads posted:

Maybe. It could be they're saving parts of the set for future use too.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rarity posted:

I get the feeling Whitecloaks don't go in for fighting Trollocs all that much

It's this. If they did have to fight Trollocs regularly they'd probably have a different opinion, but they don't.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Pleads posted:

Not sure if you guys are disagreeing here.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

nwin posted:

Yeah i heard that…just confirming.

I started reading GoT after seeing the first episode but there’s a lot more to this universe.

I would say they are, but then again, I've never actually finished them having started when there were only a couple of books out as a pre-teen and dropping them around the point that book ten was out when I was in my early 20s due to other things happening in life and just not reading as much in general anymore. I read the first 7 or 8 books multiple times as a teen though, and loved them. If you're not big on reading, or just don't have a huge amount of time to dedicate to what are fairly extensive books but have long commutes etc, you can find the full audiobooks on YouTube and try the first one or two there to see how they grab you. Here's the link to part one of the first book. Fair warning; even book one is 30 odd hours long, and the rest are probably longer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, I've never been great at visualizing exactly what fantasy authors are describing so part of the enjoyment of watching is just seeing what things look like. The blight looked cool. Looking at The Ways fanart, I guess people felt they looked more like a broken MC Escher stairs fest, but I thought they looked fine in the show. In my head I always just imagined them as featureless grey slabs suspended above and lying amidst a vast black void.

Gully Foyle posted:

lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nwin posted:

If you are interested in the world this story is taking place in, yes. The show follows the plot of the first book well enough, but a lot of the details are different so it's not like you're going to know what's happening all the time. Just the broad strokes.

And the main mystery presented in the story is only really a mystery to the other characters, you the reader already know very quickly.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

sweet geek swag posted:

It's this. If they did have to fight Trollocs regularly they'd probably have a different opinion, but they don't.

Something I feel like they have mentioned but not really driven home is outside of the borderlands most people believe Trollocs are a myth. So not only Whitecloaks but basically any military force has never fought a Trolloc and will laugh at you for suggesting it. Its why finding Trollocs outside the border with the Blight is a serious problem and finding them with a Fade leading them is even worse. Even fewer people believe Fades exist.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I keep seeing people talk about starting the books. I highly recommend the Eye of the World read by Rosamund Pike on Audible. I am typically pro the original readers of the audiobooks but she does such and amazing job I would buy every one just to hear her read them. Plus the original Eye of the World recording was done for "Books on Tape" so the quality is pretty poo poo

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 18, 2021

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Edit: quote != edit. Guess I was overdue for one of these.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Gully Foyle posted:

I mean I know how big a football field is but an entire set that large should be able to convey a better sense of scale than what we saw.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The thing is the ways are supposed to feel oppressive I think. It's big but also creepy haunted look over your shoulder hunch over because you're being watched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

tsob posted:

I would say they are, but then again, I've never actually finished them having started when there were only a couple of books out as a pre-teen and dropping them around the point that book ten was out when I was in my early 20s due to other things happening in life and just not reading as much in general anymore. I read the first 7 or 8 books multiple times as a teen though, and loved them. If you're not big on reading, or just don't have a huge amount of time to dedicate to what are fairly extensive books but have long commutes etc, you can find the full audiobooks on YouTube and try the first one or two there to see how they grab you. Here's the link to part one of the first book. Fair warning; even book one is 30 odd hours long, and the rest are probably longer.

Oh gently caress that. I’d never get done with book 1.