Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gort posted:

I'll second Strike. The skill system is sublime, and I like how elegant attack/damage rolls are, being a single D6 roll which gives you both whether you hit and how much damage you did.

conversely strike has absolutely nothing interesting beyond its systems and is as boring as wallpaper paste and does nothing to actually help you create an interesting game that isn't a knockoff of one or more hollywood media properties

so if the system appeals that's nice, but you'll have to create everything else yourself from scratch, from the flavour of your powers to the setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, it's a generic system that you're meant to be able to use with whatever setting.

As you can see, opinion is divided on what that means for a game.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Devorum posted:

My 4E group is started to get a little burned out keeping track of all the powers, bonuses, feats, etc. every level. They're having a ton of fun, but the bookkeeping is getting to be a bit much and I can see it's only going to get worse in that regard.

Is there a streamlined version of 4E that we could switch to? Some kind of patched up retro-clone?

I'm looking at Shadow of The Demon Lord, but it's missing a few critical things like Dragonborn and a teleporting Swordmage-type class.

We're going to stick with 4E for now, but if there's something easier on them I'd like to be prepared to transition to it.

Gubat Banwa might be worth a look. It's strongly tied to its setting in a way that 4e isn't, but it's got a lot of the crunchy tactical combat you'd be looking for and classes include a knight who rides a giant rooster, and who wouldn't love that?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Week 1 - Narrative RPG
Week 2 - Gloomhaven

Repeat

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If you've already got an ongoing campaign that you just want to convert to a simpler set of rules, Strike's lack of setting will actually work in your favor, so I recommend trying it first. Experience with 4E will also mean that making up monsters and other game elements on the fly is pretty easy and that you've got a rich library of rules gimmicks to draw from and simplify (and even "simplify" mostly means "make the numbers smaller" here, because Strike still has a lot of moving parts that happen to mostly be expressed through one-digit numbers).

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Week 1 - Narrative RPG
Week 2 - Gloomhaven

Repeat

This is basically our current session rotation, tbh.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll check out Strike and Gubat Banwa.

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
Apropos of nothing, I'm wondering, are there any 4e actual plays currently ongoing, or recently finished, of note?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I don't know about "of note", but Matt Colville's been doing some 4e on stream just via Fantasy Grounds. Episode 1 is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFegDmqXud8

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It's such a shame we never got a 4e video game. Did anyone ever figure out a good way to play solo? Playing online looks like too much of a pain in the rear end, and I can't play games to a reliable schedule these days anyway, but I bet I could make something work using random generator tables or something. It's not hard to use Ironsworn tables for plot stuff at least.

E: My race/class can be pixie vampire? Dude hell yeah, I'd fight to make that work.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 5, 2021

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
Can't help you about the schedule, but I honestly feel like the game plays better on a VTT than in person. Like I use this site to make power macros for roll20, and then I just have buttons on the bottom of my screen for all my powers. And of course it's much easier to keep track of all the marks/curses/etc. when you can just add a colored dot to any token.

Edit: Also, there are organized play groups for 4e where they run games at all sorts of hours. The main one is The Guild, which you can read about here. I participated briefly when I was still looking for a real 4e group, and it was a decent time, and I'd probably still be doing it if I didn't have any other regular 4e game. Probably your best option to play 4e on a weird schedule if you're willing to learn how to use roll20.

Gao fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 5, 2021

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I wish there was a Foundry module that didn't require inputing everything by hand. At least let me import data from my old backups!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've been playing on Fantasy Grounds for about 5 months and it works really well.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Aston posted:

I've been playing on Fantasy Grounds for about 5 months and it works really well.

I tried FG, but the UI design from 1991 just sapped my will to live. I kept expecting it to ask if I wanted VGA, EGA, or Tandy graphics.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

I wish there was a Foundry module that didn't require inputing everything by hand. At least let me import data from my old backups!

They are supposedly updating it, but I'm just glad there is one.

Speaking of which, thinking of running an ad here for an Eberron 4e campaign

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Can a Sentinel Druid's Animal Companion make melee basic attacks (if, for instance, granted one by a Warlord?)

If so, what stats do you use for the attack? Their card only lists an At-Will.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure if it doesn't say it has a MBA or replacer you can't grant it MBAs.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can a Sentinel Druid's Animal Companion make melee basic attacks (if, for instance, granted one by a Warlord?)

If so, what stats do you use for the attack? Their card only lists an At-Will.

For Sentinel Druids, yes, you use the Animal Attack at-will. The icon determines the type (melee, ranged, close or area) but if it is circled it is also a basic attack.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Are there any good resources for learning how to add custom items to the offline CB? We accidentally created an artifact and I would like to represent it, with its component powers, on a character sheet. I'd love to be able to edit it directly into the sheet .dnd4e file's XML, but it looks like items there just reference the individual item data, so I'm thinking I'll have to edit/create an item .part file.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Torchlighter posted:

For Sentinel Druids, yes, you use the Animal Attack at-will. The icon determines the type (melee, ranged, close or area) but if it is circled it is also a basic attack.

Awesome, thanks. I was going to compromise and say 1d12 + the companion's strength score but if there's a formal indicator for that sort of thing that's perfect, and helps with other similar situations as well.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Got my Eberron game up and running if anyone is interested

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Is there any RAW way in 4E for a character to gain a swim speed, particularly in Heroic tier?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Thaliessan Blood feat if you're a half-elf; Born of the Elements + Child of the Sea feat otherwise

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Thaliessan Blood feat if you're a half-elf; Born of the Elements + Child of the Sea feat otherwise

Thanks, that's perfect. I was looking at races and magic items and not really considering feats.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Hengeyokai racial at-will
Janissary Utility 6 Janissary's Mist (Encounter)
Watershaper level 1 feature
Gauntlets of Swimming and Climbing
Fishscale Armor

This search'll get you options.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Are there any good resources for learning how to add custom items to the offline CB? We accidentally created an artifact and I would like to represent it, with its component powers, on a character sheet. I'd love to be able to edit it directly into the sheet .dnd4e file's XML, but it looks like items there just reference the individual item data, so I'm thinking I'll have to edit/create an item .part file.

Yeah, you'll have to create a part file to merge into the database, or you can just insert it into an existing part file (I think).

What does it do?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

Yeah, you'll have to create a part file to merge into the database, or you can just insert it into an existing part file (I think).

What does it do?

I modeled a small new .part on the existing stuff and managed to get it working:

The scaling Intimidate was interesting to do. It seems like most items handle that sort of thing by having a separate entry at each level. I borrowed a little coding from an item that checks for the higher of two stat mods and mixed it with scaling from an expertise feat to get this:
code:
<statadd name="Artifact Intimidate" value="+4" type="Artifact Intimidate" />
<statadd name="Artifact Intimidate" value="+6" type="Artifact Intimidate" requires="Epic Tier" />
<statadd name="Intimidate Misc" value="Artifact Intimidate" type="item" />
Seems to be working as intended!

One question, since I remember you did a lot of stuff with CBLoader back when it first came out. What triggers it to rebuild the database on load? I ran into an issue for a bit where it wouldn't recognize my debugging tweaks until I renamed the .part file.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

One question, since I remember you did a lot of stuff with CBLoader back when it first came out. What triggers it to rebuild the database on load? I ran into an issue for a bit where it wouldn't recognize my debugging tweaks until I renamed the .part file.

I want to say that you need to increase the version number somewhere? The merger checks for version numbers? I could be wildly off.

I hate to say, it's been so long since I've touched the builder that I've basically forgotten all this. :smith:

I just have this thread bookmarked :effort:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I thought I tried updating the version number, but maybe I messed it up. The first few times I tested, it would rebuild each time. Then it just seemed to hit a wall.

Anyway, I got it working well enough and I just found the wiki on GitHub, so maybe that'll answer my questions.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Can you use a power that has no eligible targets to deliberately trigger effects that happen because it failed to hit anything?

Thinking specifically of Sword Burst and Echoes of Sword Magic, which doesn't specifically require a "miss", only hitting nothing.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 21, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you don't have eligible targets for a power within reach, you can't use that power, no. Note that if your power targets enemies, any enemy you target must be "a meaningful threat" to be eligible, you can't just arbitrarily designate a harmless rat or a fly as "your target" either.

For Echoes specifically: if they'd intended that you should be able to essentially use it as you pleased, e.g. by declaring you do a Sword Burst at empty air to formally fulfil a requirement, it might as well just have been a standard action to use.

e: although I will say: this is a weird power that doesn't seem fully thought through, in the best tradition of Dragon magazine powers. Filling a precious Encounter power slot with a power you only get to use when your at-will fails to hit anything? I guess the idea is to have a fallback when your at-will fails... but at level 7 you should already be throwing out Encounter (and the odd Daily) powers for the best part of a fight, of which you now have one less freely available. You might also be tempted into spamming at-wills from the start hoping to get Echoes, and that's actions you could have used on better powers.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 20, 2021

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can you use a power that has no eligible targets to deliberately trigger effects that happen because hit failed to hit anything?

Thinking specifically of Sword Burst and Echoes of Sword Magic, which doesn't specifically require a "miss", only hitting nothing.

You didn't not hit a target because you didn't have any targets to hit or not hit.

But yes you can't use a power without choosing a valid target so you wouldn't be able to Sword burst nothing in order to be able to use Echoes.

It's an interesting power but its kinda not great since it relies on you using at wills so you might not even be doing that until round 3 or 4 and then you still might not miss. Still probably better than a third standard action power but I've never built a swordmage.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I suppose a second chance to do something that turn, without having to use an Action Point, would be an incentive to take it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm building an incredibly goofy Swordmage / Artificer hybrid as a fifth character in a game where all four primary roles are filled. I'm also helping out the actual GM with rules adjudication and encounter design since they've never played a TTRPG before, putting me in a hazy middle-ground between player and GMPC. As such, sub-optimal is perfectly fine, but "doesn't work" is not.

Plus this isn't my primary pick at level 7 but rather a Reserve Maneuver replacement for a lovely Paragon Path attack. I'll probably just go with Vampiric Weapons instead, if the game lasts that long.

Thanks for the help!

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 21, 2021

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm building an incredibly goofy Swordmage / Artificer hybrid as a fifth character in a game where all four primary roles are filled. I'm also helping out the actual GM with rules adjudication and encounter design since they've never played a TTRPG before, putting me in a hazy middle-ground between player and GMPC. As such, sub-optimal is perfectly fine, but "doesn't work" is not.

Plus this isn't my primary pick at level 7 but rather a Reserve Maneuver replacement for a lovely Paragon Path attack. I'll probably just go with Vampiric Weapons instead, if the game lasts that long.

Thanks for the help!

That's a cool concept and one of very few hybrid combinations that feels like it will do well. Very splashy as a fifth party member where you're sort of filling all four roles a little bit.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can you use a power that has no eligible targets to deliberately trigger effects that happen because it failed to hit anything?

I think you can. It says "didn't hit any", not "missed every", and in principle you can always target seemingly-empty squares in case there are invisible enemies there. Separately, there doesn't seem to be anything broken about just being able to use Echoes of Sword Magic as though it were a regular standard action attack.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually, the rules for targeting hidden enemies even state you have to try and figure out where that potential target might be before you make the attack. And the way they're phrased strongly imply you have to be aware there is a hidden enemy around. Making an attack because there just might conceivably be one hidden doesn't cut it I think.

Agree on the conditions of using Echoes, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

What takes precedence between an Artificer sigil (which, notably, all lack the keywords for either "melee" or implement -- they just add a new, fixed damage type) and something like a Frost Weapon which converts "all damage dealt by this weapon" to a new damage type?

Could I use e.g. Lightning Sigil + Frost Weapon to make all my attacks deal both Cold and Lightning, or does it all get converted to Cold?

Frost Weapon's wording suggests the latter, but general vs. specific suggests the former.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually, the rules for targeting hidden enemies even state you have to try and figure out where that potential target might be before you make the attack. And the way they're phrased strongly imply you have to be aware there is a hidden enemy around. Making an attack because there just might conceivably be one hidden doesn't cut it I think.

Agree on the conditions of using Echoes, though.

No - you might roll perception checks or whatever in hopes of detecting what square you, but if you don't want to (for instance, you can't spare the minor action) then you're stuck making educated guesses and attacking blindly. For instance, if I know my target spent its Standard action hiding and has Speed 5, and I have a Burst 5 attack spell, I could just center my burst on the enemy's last known location and be sure to at least threaten it with a hit.

D&D is a roleplaying game, not a video game. The sword icon on your HUD doesn't grey out if there aren't any mobiles with red circles under their feet. You can just swing your weapon around whenever you like. If a wizard wants to show off by shooting a fireball into an empty field, they might regret not having their Level 5 Daily Attack power ready to deal with a real fight later that same day, but they won't find themselves mysteriously unable to remember the incantation because the combat music isn't playing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you don't have eligible targets for a power within reach, you can't use that power, no. Note that if your power targets enemies, any enemy you target must be "a meaningful threat" to be eligible, you can't just arbitrarily designate a harmless rat or a fly as "your target" either.

IIRC this stipulation was put in place to counter things like the bag of rats / great cleave / whirlwind strike exploit from 3.5

I agree with SynthesisAlpha that if there's no targets to hit you can't be meaningfully said to have "not hit any" of them because there's no them to not hit. I wouldn't stop a player using a power if there was nothing to attack (especially a burst or blast one given they effect everything in a particular area) though.

edit: here's the bit in Rules Compendium about legitimate targets, I forgot that it actually calls out the bag of rats lol

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

No - you might roll perception checks or whatever in hopes of detecting what square you, but if you don't want to (for instance, you can't spare the minor action) then you're stuck making educated guesses and attacking blindly. For instance, if I know my target spent its Standard action hiding and has Speed 5, and I have a Burst 5 attack spell, I could just center my burst on the enemy's last known location and be sure to at least threaten it with a hit.

D&D is a roleplaying game, not a video game. The sword icon on your HUD doesn't grey out if there aren't any mobiles with red circles under their feet. You can just swing your weapon around whenever you like. If a wizard wants to show off by shooting a fireball into an empty field, they might regret not having their Level 5 Daily Attack power ready to deal with a real fight later that same day, but they won't find themselves mysteriously unable to remember the incantation because the combat music isn't playing.
Okay, that all rings true. But to bring it back to the Swordmage ability in question, I wouldn't agree that swinging your sword around at nothing would constitute "making an at-will attack" that you can "not hit" anything with.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What takes precedence between an Artificer sigil (which, notably, all lack the keywords for either "melee" or implement -- they just add a new, fixed damage type) and something like a Frost Weapon which converts "all damage dealt by this weapon" to a new damage type?

Could I use e.g. Lightning Sigil + Frost Weapon to make all my attacks deal both Cold and Lightning, or does it all get converted to Cold?

Frost Weapon's wording suggests the latter, but general vs. specific suggests the former.
I'd say Frost Weapon converts all damage you deal with your sword with any attack Cold, and Lightning Sigil adds extra lightning damage to it. Each could be resisted separately, dealing cold-and-lightning damage is a slightly different beast. The feat Arcane Admixture allows you to permanently add one damage type to one of your powers, which would make it deal that kind of combined damage. Although if you then brought a Frost Weapon into that, your e.g. fire-and-lightning power would get fully converted to cold.

To be honest, I don't think they had a Swordmage that inherently deals elemental damage using swords in mind when they designed the Frost and other elemental weapons. It creates some muddled interactions.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 22, 2021