Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So in theory in 104 weeks it could infect the entire planet (that’s not factoring in vaccinations mask wearing and restrictions on movements obviously)? Like I know it’s not a true 1% infection each week, that’s still going to be a terrifying number of dead and just sick, even if it’s mild vs say delta. More terrifying is anyone without a booster shot or say kids 5 to 11 seem already be at a disadvantage.

I mean I’m not the only person who finds that as something to be pants shittingly terrified of, right ?

Here's the latest from the Massachusetts Wastewater COVID-19 tracker (because you poo poo/piss out COVID-19 before you even know you're sick), which is backing up the South African data of a massive, rapid dropoff:

We're likely in the highest point of contagion right now in these places - then it slows way the gently caress down when the virus starts running into vaccinated people and/or cautious folks, like all the loose tinder burning up in a fire. It's possible that the rapid climb/drop in Omicron might even be more pronounced without as extreme of hospitalizations. So it's really not worth the mental worry about "well gently caress, we're all gonna get sick and/or dead in 104 weeks", the slowdown is inevitable. And there's still a lot of evidence showing that the death rates for the olds are still much worse than the death rates for the youngs.

And the hospitals are already packed to gently caress with unvaccinated delta cases, so yep, it's going to suck for another few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I read a short story where someone was trying to figure out why when highway traffic went by a small town GPS would divert cars to drive a weird path through the city before putting them back on the main road, and it turned out an unknown power was having the cars trace a large symbol over and over again as part of a summoning ritual.

There's a bit like this in Pratchett and Gaiman's Good Omens, where a demon moves the marker stakes for a new motorway to change it into the shape of a demonic rune. Not as a plot point, just to fill his quota of evil deeds.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Yes, that is why “sedans are dead” doesn’t make sense. 3 of the top 10 are straight up sedans. 2 more are crossovers (sedan chassis).

And their market share is falling. Double digit drops in 2020 for all cars on the list; and no, it's not only due to the chip shortage. Camry sales have been declining since 2015, Accord since 2014, Civic since 2017, Altima since 2014 (2020 sales literally half what it was in the late 2000s). GM and Ford have ended production of almost all sedans because the US market has basically left them behind. The ones we see are the last of what used to make up the vast majority of the market. In 2000, the top 10 included 5 cars; in 2010, 7. In 2020 it's three. Where it starts getting weird is when you start looking at which platforms are surviving because they're the basis for hybrids and EVs (hello carbon credits), and as you point out, crossovers. As hybrids and EVs move to independent platforms over the next few years, you're going to see more models disappear, and crossovers will continue to eat away at the models that contributed their chassis in the first place.

If not dead, they're on a ventilator in the covid wing. There will probably always be a few, but they're not the driver of the automotive market. They're not even in the cab, they're being towed.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 17, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Loucks posted:

I played with google and maybe it's this: Shoggoths in Traffic

Yeah that's it. LeVar Burton narrates it for an episode of his podcast.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Loucks posted:

I played with google and maybe it's this: Shoggoths in Traffic

Good Omens did it first and funnier

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So you know how great noise was made about Denmark dropping all restrictions?

Welp.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/denmark-seeks-to-close-public-venues-to-curb-coronavirus/c02d80dc-8ab2-46c6-9f11-27f89a77fbbb

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Godholio posted:

And their market share is falling. Double digit drops in 2020 for all cars on the list; and no, it's not only due to the chip shortage. Camry sales have been declining since 2015, Accord since 2014, Civic since 2017, Altima since 2014 (2020 sales literally half what it was in the late 2000s). GM and Ford have ended production of almost all sedans because the US market has basically left them behind. The ones we see are the last of what used to make up the vast majority of the market. In 2000, the top 10 included 5 cars; in 2010, 7. In 2020 it's three. Where it starts getting weird is when you start looking at which platforms are surviving because they're the basis for hybrids and EVs (hello carbon credits), and as you point out, crossovers. As hybrids and EVs move to independent platforms over the next few years, you're going to see more models disappear, and crossovers will continue to eat away at the models that contributed their chassis in the first place.

If not dead, they're on a ventilator in the covid wing. There will probably always be a few, but they're not the driver of the automotive market. They're not even in the cab, they're being towed.

IMO the distinction between crossovers and hatchbacks is one without a difference and this shift in the market is decades overdue

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Can't say I'm a fan of the push towards ever-larger vehicles. More useful trunk space is great, but taller and heavier is not. I'll take an ancient station wagon over a brand new crossover. But I drive my cars a lot longer than the average customer, so I'm certainly not a factor in market trends.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Good Omens did it first and funnier

Yeah, but that encourages Neil Gaiman to write more garbage.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sedans are stupid and shouldn’t exist. Station wagons simply make more sense.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Well, this certainly comes as a complete surprise

:cripes:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Or hatchbacks, at which point hatchback vs wagon vs crossover vs SUV is just a question of proportion. And people seem to like buying the bigger ones.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Or hatchbacks, at which point hatchback vs wagon vs crossover vs SUV is just a question of proportion. And people seem to like buying the bigger ones.

Yes, but they don't need them to be that big, which is part of the problem. We need to overhaul our vehicle regulations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This calls for the return of the greatest car design in history. The suzuki mighty boy.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

This calls for the return of the greatest car design in history. The suzuki mighty boy.

That’s a funny way to spell “1998 Subaru Outback.”

This car has AWD, ample cargo space, heated seats, and low profile enough that you could actually see pedestrians. Extremely good poo poo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grip it and rip it posted:

I dunno it seems like delaying or stopping the people who tried to seize power and kill congress so they could start rounding up undesirables is important but I'd be willing to hear the other side of this argument.

I'll be honest: It's definitely part this.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Essentially it's "Hope is a lie and optimism is cowardice."

I'm not sure what any other takeaway could be. Every fundamental system in America is broken and weighted against meaningful progress, between voting rights, gerrymandering, civil rights, and so on; and even when the Good Guys™ manage to scrape out a win and get a "majority" and they do nothing with it. They make empty promises about how they'll tackle X or Y issue and then turn around after getting their votes and go "haha, j/k! losers"

And this is after they saw exactly what the other side tried to do! They know what's at stake. They have all the intelligence and research and polling and whatever the gently caress. They saw and in some cases were directly impacted by the failed coup, and yet they still do nothing about it. They say "Vote." We uphold our end of that bargain, and our reward is to be ignored. The result is that the Democrats further entrench themselves into do-nothing wastes of life and the very voters they demand vote for them get disillusioned and see the entire election as farce, harming not only the national races, but all of the smaller ones as well.

There is no winning here.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Grip it and rip it posted:

I dunno it seems like delaying or stopping the people who tried to seize power and kill congress so they could start rounding up undesirables is important but I'd be willing to hear the other side of this argument.

except we're not doing that either

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

Yes, but they don't need them to be that big, which is part of the problem. We need to overhaul our vehicle regulations.

Properly taxing vehicles based on proportionate road wear might be a good start.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I just want a ute. Subaru bring back the baja already. My sentra is an '11 and is about to tick 80k miles even with it being parked for 5 years

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Properly taxing vehicles based on proportionate road wear might be a good start.

sure, the damage from a fat man on a large bike looks low, but just wait until it goes off :v:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This car has AWD, ample cargo space, heated seats, and low profile enough that you could actually see pedestrians. Extremely good poo poo.

I need a moment.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 18, 2021

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I need a moment.

I'll be in my bunk

Also The Coward Douglas Ford is freaking out, limit of 10 person indoor gatherings

But you can still put 10k people in Scotiabank arena to see the raps or leafs!

Just astonishingly stupid poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

sure, the damage from a fat man on a large bike looks low, but just wait until it goes off :v:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/12/17/world/covid-omicron-vaccines/new-york-reports-record-number-of-coronavirus-cases

New York officials reported 21,027 new coronavirus cases on Friday, the highest single-day total since the earliest days of pandemic, when the availability of testing was not as widespread as it is now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wrong AWD platform :colbert:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The 2004 Ford Mondeo is all the car I'll ever need. I lived out of mine for four weeks with a gigantic dog on gravel roads and she never once skipped a beat.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CommieGIR posted:

Wrong AWD platform :colbert:

Ok, but

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ok, I'll give you that. Preffered the Sedan variant.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i will never understand peoples love for cars that look like a box

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

ded posted:

i will never understand peoples love for cars that look like a box

warhammer 40k fans

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/12/17/world/covid-omicron-vaccines/new-york-reports-record-number-of-coronavirus-cases

New York officials reported 21,027 new coronavirus cases on Friday, the highest single-day total since the earliest days of pandemic, when the availability of testing was not as widespread as it is now.

What's not amazing is the number and the current testing lines. What's amazing is just how bad NYC must've been in the first days of the pandemic, because fuuuuuuuuuuck

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They were storing dead unhoused people's corpses in freezer trucks in central park. It was bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

The source appears to be https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/search?postcode=SE15%205AD and those numbers appear to be weekly totals. When I clicked the "98", it said that was the total over 7 days, which is the ratio of 991.7 per 100k. "Average" doesn't appear anywhere that I could find.

So it's infecting 1% of the population weekly, not daily.

It’s probably more like four times that rate because not all infections lead to positive tests.

One in four is a recent U.S. CDC estimate for ascertainment ratio, anyway. It could he higher or lower in other locales at other times.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How do hospitalization rates compare?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Godholio posted:

How do hospitalization rates compare?

Check the second picture in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1471941692962099212

The general problem is that we don't know *why* those hospitalizations are so low versus previous rates. Is it Omicron being more mild? Are there just a fuckton of low-level infections due to vaccines and previous infections? Did everyone just lock themselves in their houses and/or leave the province and got hospitalized elsewhere? Is this a consequence of the school year ending there? Could it be because it's kind of their summer right now?

And the projected answers to these questions mostly have scientists split because now we have decent data, but it doesn't make much sense. Plus there's a cacophony of chuds saying LET IT RIP, NATURAL IMMUNITY IS THE ONLY WAY TO PROTECT FROM COVID

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's good news whether it's because Omicron evolved to be less deadly (not uncommon in viruses, and "smart" on its part) or the vaccines, or a combination.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Wasn't there some news that Omicron settles mostly in the bronchus rather than deeper in the lungs? You're more infectious earlier, but it does less damage.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I thought those camo mercedes in the lost world were cool as poo poo when I saw them

e: on second glance, it turns out those were more of an suv than a wagon. Huh

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 18, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hannibal Rex posted:

Wasn't there some news that Omicron settles mostly in the bronchus rather than deeper in the lungs? You're more infectious earlier, but it does less damage.

That’s the hope, anyway. It makes a certain amount of physiological sense, but the fly in the ointment here is that while Omicron prefers lung tissue less than Delta, Delta itself preferred lung tissue less than the original virus isolated in early 2020, and we know that Delta has more than double the IFR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Crab Dad posted:

My Legacy was like $7-9000 cheaper than an equivalent Outback for ~85% of the functionality. :colbert:

That being said, an RS6 Avant is definitely a dream car of mine. The ultimate pre-built sleeper.

Godholio posted:

It's good news whether it's because Omicron evolved to be less deadly (not uncommon in viruses, and "smart" on its part) or the vaccines, or a combination.

My :ohdear: is coming from the fact that we're giving Delta and Omicron so many hosts to co-mingle in simultaneously and birth a loving monster variant.