Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ither posted:

This makes no sense to me, but then again, I am not a parent. :shrug:

You don't even need to be a parent, really. We've all had someone we cared for deeply who's hovered at the precipice of death: someone living a high-risk life, or a person in a charity working in a dangerous part of the world, or a family member in the hospital with an incurable disease, or a beloved pet that's getting slower and more tired as the years drag on. Someone with a high tolerance to uncertainty like Ameliance can accept the looming possibility of death and continue to support her children wholeheartedly, but someone like Forchenault - a man who's consistently shown to support only the lowest risk option with the highest probability of success, no matter the ugly cost - can't bear that dreadful uncertainty, and so he buries his nose in his work and keeps the harrowing lives his children lead out of his mind. It's more a matter of personality than relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cqS1QOz0qY

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

motherfucker!!!!! That was my joke :mad:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Consummate Professional posted:

Their dad is a true believer and also bad at interpersonal relationships.

Ither posted:

Maybe this whole expansion works better--like on a whole other level--if you're a parent or have close family ties.

Think of their father as basically an older version of Alphinaud who never had his huge, gross failure with the Crystal Braves that humbled him. Behind the front he puts on in front of others, the idea of his children being in danger actually drives the enormous lug to tears. The idea of them being hurt hurts him in turn. The only thing he can do is bury himself in his work deeper, because he knows if he tries to get TOO heavy handed they might do something that will get them killed.

Like how his father stormed off after an epic row with the Forum and ultimately got himself killed.

And he can't take that. His heart simply cannot take that. He's sick to death of losing family in violent solutions to terrible problems.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Ither posted:

Maybe this whole expansion works better--like on a whole other level--if you're a parent or have close family ties.

The entire theme of this expansion is people struggling to handle difficult emotions. Fourchenault's arc is no different, and is extremely believable. My father made very similar mistakes out of parental fears and took decades to work through them to a better emotional place.

DownTheWell
Apr 19, 2007

Prosecute

PoorWeather posted:

So now that it's been confirmed that the server problems aren't gonna push it back and it's going up in a few days, what are people's predictions for the Pandaemonium storyline? I have to admit that I really have no idea how they're going to try and make going back in time to Elpis again work either mechanically, since Venat talked about how the WoL couldn't stay because of unstable Aether or whatever, and tonally, since the note the MSQ ended was all about moving forward and leaving the past behind, in particular about the Ancients.

It’ll be a self-contained storyline without any consequences on the MSQ, just like every other raid.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

(89 trial)

Kazy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 17, 2021

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

e: whoops this had a question meant for main thread. here instead is my question for the spoilers thread: the scion color coordination is pretty obvious and fairly easy to explain for two of its groups. Original blend scions/circle of knowing archons are in black and white, while the heavensward boys are in blue. What's the thematic link I'm supposed to see for alisaie and graha? both big shadowbringers characters, both WoL stans?

Kazy posted:

(89 trial)

this is perfect

Valentin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 17, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So who else on hearing about the moon evacuation plan thought of World of Synnibar?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Regy Rusty posted:

It can't be. That scene was depicting the midst of the chaos still ongoing, but the sundering took place after the second Zodiark sacrifice, the one that fixed the world up nice. There was time for the two factions to debate and everything and for Elidibus to withdraw himself to try to calm things down (and fail).

Huh. I mean, I saw the disconnects from the story we'd heard too, but my reaction was "wow, I can't believe all that stuff actually happened right away during the Final Days." Honestly, watching that scene made me rewrite a lot of what I'd understood about how and when Hydaelyn and Zodiark were summoned, because this was a firsthand look versus all the things we'd heard secondhand from possibly questionable sources. (I also didn't remember that there WAS a second Zodiark sacrifice, I thought it was just the one to create him and stop the Final Days, and then the second one to fix everything that never got to happen because of Hydaelyn.)

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

What the gently caress are you serious? I had him pegged as mid 20’s at least.

Well the whole big brother stuff makes a lot more sense now.

You can just ignore the official canon ages in just about anything anime or anime-adjacent, dogg. There is a big asterisk here if you're a perv, obviously, but I just throw out whatever canon means I'm reading about child soldiers who are somehow the best in their field, or the aged, grizzled veteran who's 21 years old.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Aside from the twins, I just add a 10 to all the official ages we're given

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Urianger is a lot less funny if he is 40 imo.

I dunno, most of the ages feel fine for the most part. I expected the twins to be a couple of years older though.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yeah the ages are pretty reasonable, urianger and thancred definitely aren't 40, lolorito and godbert aren't in their 60s

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I realized that the weird thing about the twins is that they're typical anime-style "prodigies" who are essentially adults except for having child-level emotional maturity (but only in certain areas).

This is very common in some genres and settings, but in Eorzea, it's not common at all: they're basically the only ones. This is why trying to imagine them in a relationship quickly goes to weird places, because they essentially have no peers of their own age.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i thought it was weird that godbert had a really young wife until i realized that he’s not some grandpa but a middle aged dude and hildy is a college jock who flunked out of college

i think one reason people think Aren is older than he is (including me) is because all highlander dudes have grizzled old man faces

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Corbeau posted:

The entire theme of this expansion is people struggling to handle difficult emotions. Fourchenault's arc is no different, and is extremely believable. My father made very similar mistakes out of parental fears and took decades to work through them to a better emotional place.

I thought going into the expansion that I was going to hate Fourchenault for being over the top dickish, but after finishing everything his arc was one of my favorites. Compared to saving the universe from nihilism, having just a Dad who desperately loves his kids, but is concerned over their safety, and sucks at expressing his emotions (burying himself in work instead) was super relatable and heartwarming in the end.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Splash Attack posted:

i thought it was weird that godbert had a really young wife until i realized that he’s not some grandpa but a middle aged dude and hildy is a college jock who flunked out of college

i think one reason people think Aren is older than he is (including me) is because all highlander dudes have grizzled old man faces

I'm not sure what he sounds like in the NA dub, but his Japanese voice is just so sincere anime protagonist in Japanese it was shocking when I heard it for the first time cause it does not fit him. I thought he'd sound like Jotaro if anything.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Avynte posted:

I thought going into the expansion that I was going to hate Fourchenault for being over the top dickish, but after finishing everything his arc was one of my favorites. Compared to saving the universe from nihilism, having just a Dad who desperately loves his kids, but is concerned over their safety, and sucks at expressing his emotions (burying himself in work instead) was super relatable and heartwarming in the end.

I'm still gonna say he deserved to be punched for disowning them. He crossed a line with that.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
how the gently caress does F'lhaminn have babushka energy at 37

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TGLT posted:

how the gently caress does F'lhaminn have babushka energy at 37

You get old fast when your daughter dies no fewer than three separate times and you discover your grandchild exists only in an alternate universe you can never visit.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Maybe Minfilia was a very exhausting child

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
you know what? fair

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

F'lhaminn in 1.0 is a wild child that gets, incredibly serious when she suddenly becomes a mother (due to her killing Minfilia's dad). That's a big part of her story in 1.0

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SirPhoebos posted:

So who else on hearing about the moon evacuation plan thought of World of Synnibar?

I kinda wanted us to fail and the next expansion would just be Phantasy Star Online with catgirls and bunnyboys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I kinda wanted us to fail and the next expansion would just be Phantasy Star Online with catgirls and bunnyboys.

I may not have played PSO much but I know for a fact it already has catgirls and bunnyboys.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

I may not have played PSO much but I know for a fact it already has catgirls and bunnyboys.

Ah, but they'd be *better* catgirls and bunnyboys.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

DownTheWell posted:

It’ll be a self-contained storyline without any consequences on the MSQ, just like every other raid.

You mean like Crystal Tower? :v:

I know what you mean, but the 8 mans at least are still often dovetailed in content and themes with the main story. You don't need to do Eden to proceed with the MSQ, but it still continues the story of ShB after a fashion and answers a bunch of lingering questions in both the Flood of Light and the Ascian plot.

PoorWeather fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 18, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i heard the english jullus va and feel good about playing in japanese

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

i heard the english jullus va and feel good about playing in japanese

:dafuq:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I don't think anything sounds particularly bad about Jullus's EN VA? Nails all the emotional scenes pretty well.

I've only heard bits of the JP dub from trailers and streamers but JP Tataru sounds like a baby on helium. Also JP Soroban sounds... I dunno. Like a country bumpkin or Japanese equivalent?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

homeless snail posted:

F'lhaminn in 1.0 is a wild child that gets, incredibly serious when she suddenly becomes a mother (due to her killing Minfilia's dad). That's a big part of her story in 1.0

yea her having big grandma energy despite being under 40 is very much in line with her 1.0 story, playing mother to a kid who's dad you killed by accident because you yourself were a dumb kid, and then seeing that kid die in a major and noble way is gonna make you age p. hard!

Also yea Urianger literally only works if he's not actually an old man, he's gotta be a giant nerdlinger who talks like an old man despite being young still, if he's not then he's just an old man.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Speaking of, an important question: Standout Endwalker VAs?

I personally give the Secret MVP spot to Y'shtola. She doesn't really get any standout scenes, but there's some great moments where her voice shakes just a little under the weight of what she's saying, and you can tell her unflappable facade is straining. Probably the best example is when she's talking about how empty of aether the Blasphemy was in Vanaspati.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cleretic posted:

I personally give the Secret MVP spot to Y'shtola. She doesn't really get any standout scenes, but there's some great moments where her voice shakes just a little under the weight of what she's saying, and you can tell her unflappable facade is straining. Probably the best example is when she's talking about how empty of aether the Blasphemy was in Vanaspati.

The scene where you can choose to have her knock on your door as well, when she's describing how distressing it was to see what was happening to your soul during ShB.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

the moon bunnies are all just perfect

also Thancred's VA really sells the whole 'I'm so loving tired' thing especially with his end sacrifice and all, I like him normally but he was real good this time around.

Same with Urianger, always good but this expansion he really got to flex his 'you get that being the group's 'shady guy' sucks for me, right? You know I'm genuinely your friend and don't want to betray you even if I get too wrapped up in my pragmatic stuff?' muscles this go around.

The dude who played the first legion general also did well with his end monologue, that kinda scene needed some gravitas to make it hit well and I think he delivered.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh I also really like the two elephant people we deal with most, Krile's alchemist friend and the fisher, both have really good voices that convey the alchemist's intellect yet personable nature and mr anxious fisher's good nature under his timidness and all.

Honestly this expansion had excellent voices all around, I get english vs japanese is basically a personal taste thing and what you're used to at this point but the english side all were quite good to me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Oh I also really like the two elephant people we deal with most, Krile's alchemist friend and the fisher, both have really good voices that convey the alchemist's intellect yet personable nature and mr anxious fisher's good nature under his timidness and all.

Honestly this expansion had excellent voices all around, I get english vs japanese is basically a personal taste thing and what you're used to at this point but the english side all were quite good to me.

I also appreciated that all the Thavnair NPCs (outside of Vrtra in dragon form) were voiced by British Indian actors. Livingway also knocked it out of the park for me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shoutout to Fandaniel's VA who had to play two very different characters and made both of them sound great.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Terper posted:

Shoutout to Fandaniel's VA who had to play two very different characters and made both of them sound great.

4 total voices in Endwalker isn't it?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

4 total voices in Endwalker isn't it?
Unless I missed something in the credits, just Hermes and Amon.

e: I mean he uses Asahi's voice at times, but that's, you know, Asahi's voice actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Terper posted:

Unless I missed something in the credits, just Hermes and Amon.

e: I mean he uses Asahi's voice at times, but that's, you know, Asahi's voice actor.

Ah, 3 then, because he has a distinct voice for Fandaniel, Amon and Hermes. Whilst the Asahi VA has a voice for Asahi and for Fandaniel.